Hi everyone, I thought I might pop back onto the forum to hopefully ease people's minds about the prices. I did some comparisons with existing sets on the shop site where the pics were found and it seems that all Lego sets on there are sold at inflated prices, I guess Lego thinks that they can charge more in China? Anyway, I'm confident that the US/EU prices won't be anything out of the ordinary.

I am pleasantly surprised by the sets themselves, not what I was expecting but they definitely seem well built.

12 minutes ago, MonsoonHuggies said:

The lady on top of the Demon Bull King is Princess Iron Fan, and the all white female villain we haven't seen is likely Baigujing, or the White Bone Spirit.

Nevermind, I guess the other female villain is in Ninjago, but I wouldn't be surprised if Baigujing appears in a future wave of this theme.

Also, does anyone know the name of the bull guy in the Monkey King Mech set and the HQ? I think his name starts with general, but I can't read whatever comes after that.

While I do agree that these action themes are all getting really similar to one another, I still have to say that this looks like a great line-up of sets and the designs are all very well done.
Especially that Monkey King mech, but the ship with all the crates also looks really cool.

The prices on Instagram are probably wrong because the leakers just found the sets with the prices at the site of a Hong Kong toy store and applied the current conversion rate to US Dollars. But Lego is priced higher in China due to a different tax system. Normal Ninjago sets like Unagami's temple (71712) cost over 90 US Dollars there (if you convert it directly), but around here it's just 79,99 $ US/€. So the cheapest set in the monkey kid wave would be less than 30 $...

Edited by Metanoios91

Just now, Metanoios91 said:

The prices on Instagram are probably wrong because the leakers just found the sets with the prices at the site of Hong Kong toy store and applied the current conversion rate to US Dollars. But Lego is priced higher in China due to a different tax system. Normal Ninjago sets like Unagami's temple (71712) cost over 90 US Dollars there (if you convert it directly), but around here it's just 79,99 $ US/€. So the cheapest set in the monkey kid wave would be less than 30 $...

Really? Well, that’s a relief. Glad to hear it . . now to address my lack of display space for all this awesome stuff.

I’d never heard this was coming - and just assumed these pictures were new ninjago sets! 

They look incredible, but was a new theme needed? These could have been ninjago...

Just now, DrasticPlastic said:

I’d never heard this was coming - and just assumed these pictures were new ninjago sets! 

They look incredible, but was a new theme needed? These could have been ninjago...

It is needed to capitalize on the Chinese market. Ninjago doesn't sell well over there but the hope is that a Chinese IP does

Just now, Metanoios91 said:

It is needed to capitalize on the Chinese market. Ninjago doesn't sell well over there but the hope is that a Chinese IP does

Couldn't they have just changed up Ninjago to be more Chinese-inspired though? I don't think that would have been that hard to do.

Just now, Lego David said:

Couldn't they have just changed up Ninjago to be more Chinese-inspired though? I don't think that would have been that hard to do.

I think there would've been a problem by either japanese or chinese market since each side kind of hates each other... 

The sets are okay. But I'm only really interested in the sea Base. Kinda afraid for the price though.

I assume the girl is a gender bend Tang Sanzang as she is riding the horse or the dragon prince  (dragon horse) himself in his human form, Princess now I guess. I had a feeling they might do something like that. Kinda like it.

But most sets are an easy skip.

Most well-off Chinese like exclusivity in a premium product. The same goes for cars with Americans or Europeans for example. This is a commonly used marketing strategy. The psychology behind it, is also the reason why there exist "limited" editions and con exclusives. It is to bolster your brand through exclusivity. This also apllies to a new and fresh theme especially for the Chinese 

Edited by Metanoios91

Just now, Huigberts Builds said:

The sets are okay. But I'm only really interested in the sea Base. Kinda afraid for the price though.

I assume the girl is a gender bend Tang Sanzang as she is riding the horse or the dragon prince  (dragon horse) himself in his human form, Princess now I guess. I had a feeling they might do something like that. Kinda like it.

But most sets are an easy skip.

As far as I can make out on the box, her name is actually Mei. She appears in armour in both the horse-cycle and the boat (in which she appears to get a JetSki) but I’m pretty sure that the green-clad girl in the Red Son Truck is her in casual clothes. Which is pretty great.

Speaking of, it is weird that so many of these sets come with one or two civilians, right? I mean it’s great for city building (sorta ironic given almost none of these builds lend themselves to city building, though I think I’ll mark out a lot for Pigsy’s Food Truck) but it’s weird. The only other times I can think of that they did that were Alien Conquest and The LEGO Ninjago Movie. 

Also, if you’ll permit me speculating on the plot a bit, seeing how Monkey King (Sun Wukong) and Monkie Kid are in the same set and there’s no visible transformation function, I no longer think Kid is Sun Wukong - I think Kid is his son. And this theme is going to explore his adventures with his friends as he tries to live up to his father’s legacy - which would also explain why Pigsy is the only character who looks more-or-less true to legend, because he’s the actual Pigsy, a friend of his father’s who is taking a mentor role. (And apparently opened a pork restaurant, at which Kid has a part-time job.)

43 minutes ago, Frozen Assasin said:

basically this
frack lego for robbing us of a proper mythological line based in China 

Sadly yes, that seems to be Lego’s M.O nowadays. Where we could’ve had a resurrection of the classic Ninja and Castle themes, we get Ninjago and Nexo Knights. Fantasy theme + technology and vehicles = new Lego theme.

It's interesting how all the Bulls have different names, though most of them do look the same. Also the small villain mech in the Monkey Mech set looks just like an exo-force set so I love the design of that. 

Also it looks the boat is a two-in-one build, where the crates can be removed and leave you with a fairly normal-looking boat build. 

Overall, this does look like a really unique theme. Honestly with the urban setting it looks even more modern than the first waves of Ninjago did. That setting is probably what makes the theme stand out the most (I love the Panda shop) so it'll be interesting to see in what direction the theme is heading in future waves. 

2 minutes ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

As far as I can make out on the box, her name is actually Mei. She appears in armour in both the horse-cycle and the boat (in which she appears to get a JetSki) but I’m pretty sure that the green-clad girl in the Red Son Truck is her in casual clothes. Which is pretty great.

Speaking of, it is weird that so many of these sets come with one or two civilians, right? I mean it’s great for city building (sorta ironic given almost none of these builds lend themselves to city building, though I think I’ll mark out a lot for Pigsy’s Food Truck) but it’s weird. The only other times I can think of that they did that were Alien Conquest and The LEGO Ninjago Movie. 

Also, if you’ll permit me speculating on the plot a bit, seeing how Monkey King (Sun Wukong) and Monkie Kid are in the same set and there’s no visible transformation function, I no longer think Kid is Sun Wukong - I think Kid is his son. And this theme is going to explore his adventures with his friends as he tries to live up to his father’s legacy - which would also explain why Pigsy is the only character who looks more-or-less true to legend, because he’s the actual Pigsy, a friend of his father’s who is taking a mentor role. (And apparently opened a pork restaurant, at which Kid has a part-time job.)

The first arc of the animated series is about protecting the city and civilians from the invasion of the Demon Bull (Mech) King's army and the evil demon sorceress behind him (Princess Iron Fan). It's nice to have a few screaming and running civilians to complete the scene

I like the box art with the Chinese/Western/futuristic houses more than the sets themselves... no buildings again, and the vehicles are far oversized. Perhaps a second wave or Lego exclusive will catch my interest.

2 minutes ago, Metanoios91 said:

The first arc of the animated series is about protecting the city and civilians from the invasion of the Demon Bull (Mech) King's army and the evil demon sorceress behind him (Princess Iron Fan). It's nice to have a few screaming and running civilians to complete the scene

Do you have confirmation of this? Or is it just observation?

Also, evil demon sorceress, ha. How does the Red Son play into it then?

3 minutes ago, Metanoios91 said:

I wonder if the designs on the box are how they will look like in s possible animated series. If the series is 2D like that I think it would be pretty damn cool. 

It seems so long ago when we started speculating about this theme. Unfortunately the worst guesses for me came out to be true. There is only one pseudo-location set with everything else being vehicles and mechs. I will have to wait for the final price of the Base and the parts list but so far it doesn't seem worth it. Which is good for me, because I was planning to spend all my money on Creator anyway :D

So it turns out that the Monkey King Series 19 CMF was indeed a tease for this line... The Monkey King that comes with the Monkey King Mech and and the CMF Monkey King are nearly the same.

37 minutes ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Monkey Kid seems inside the mech's chest. So maybe he controls Monkey King? Maybe like a reincarnation or something? Because if Monkey Kid is actually his son... a very interesting explanation about how a monkey had a human child is due

And let's don't get started with Pigsy's cannibalism...

Edited by Robert8