Do we actually have any proof that Monkey Kid is going to be an AR theme?

If it is, then I think that Hidden Side is a guinea pig for this theme, just like Ultra Agents was a guinea pig for Nexo Knights.

3 hours ago, Stardown said:

Do we actually have any proof that Monkey Kid is going to be an AR theme?

If it is, then I think that Hidden Side is a guinea pig for this theme, just like Ultra Agents was a guinea pig for Nexo Knights.

In what way?

9 hours ago, leafan said:

@Harkonen - So you're back now? Didn't you make up loads of fake leaks and then run when you got called on it?

My source was wrong. TOTALLY wrong so I cut ties with it. I didn't make them up myself, my source did. Now I just want to stay here as a member. Only speculation from me. No rumours or anything. I hope that we’ll all get in good terms in time. 

5 hours ago, Lucarex said:

In what way?

In the same way Ultra Agents was the first theme to test the App+Physical Parts play gimmick that later became an important part of Nexo Knights, so it is believed that Hidden Side acted as an experiment to test the AR Gimmick which presumably will play an even more important role in Monkey Kid.

I hope any AR used on Monkey Kid would be more alike with Nexo Knights and not to Hidden Side.

Beside the Hidden Side app not working on even newer phones, I don't think the colored bits add much to the actual LEGO sets.

But I also really like those Nexo Knight Shield inserts without the app's use, added another dimension to customization with the different colors and prints and types of shield holders.

Nexo Shield tiles also still fit on more generic recent shields like this , but other sizes of tiles also would work great on such shields:

30166.t1.png

Edited by TeriXeri

6 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I hope any AR used on Monkey Kid would be more alike with Nexo Knights and not to Hidden Side.

Beside the Hidden Side app not working on even newer phones, I don't think the colored bits add much to the actual LEGO sets.

But I also really like those Nexo Knight Shield inserts without the app's use, added another dimension to customization with the different colors and prints and types of shield holders.

Agreed. Minions sets got revealed... Hopefully they reveal Monkey Kid too. One can only hope. 

30 minutes ago, Harkonen said:

Agreed. Minions sets got revealed... Hopefully they reveal Monkey Kid too. One can only hope. 

I’m not so sure anymore...

last year, hidden side had a press release beforehand, and so did a lot of the other sets shown off too. Such a big reveal could be done out of “nowhere”,  but it seems less likely as LEGO is doing more and more press releases. I mean, it’s still possible we see something tomorrow, but I wouldn’t have since high hopes.

Just now, NetherCreeper said:

I’m not so sure anymore...

last year, hidden side had a press release beforehand, and so did a lot of the other sets shown off too. Such a big reveal could be done out of “nowhere”,  but it seems less likely as LEGO is doing more and more press releases. I mean, it’s still possible we see something tomorrow, but I wouldn’t have since high hopes.

Yeah.... Looks like it.... 

6 minutes ago, NetherCreeper said:

If it doesn't get revealed at this Toy Fair, where will it be revealed?

Just now, Lego David said:

Who knows? In 2018, LEGO held their own small scale event where they showed selective sets, including the app controlled bat mobile, there’s always a chance they could do that again. They could also show a teaser tomorrow, and do a normal press release later, like they did for Batman sets last year and Hidden Side sets this year. Sure, neither of those are bombastic reveals, but it’s possible. 

In reality, toy fair is still the best bet for a big reveal, but I’m just not sure that it’ll happen at this point. I’m conflicted at this point, I guess we’ll see tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Probably around May at their special event but it looses it's appeal. I'm sure the theme will get leaked online until then. 

It’s an Asian theme sourced directly from Asian literature and primarily aimed at Asian customers. Fairly certain it will get leaked before any official LEGO event. 

25 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

It’s an Asian theme sourced directly from Asian literature and primarily aimed at Asian customers. Fairly certain it will get leaked before any official LEGO event. 

I wonder if the theme will release worldwide. I remember that I read somewhere that lego isn't doing regional exclusives anymore. 

26 minutes ago, Harkonen said:

I wonder if the theme will release worldwide. I remember that I read somewhere that lego isn't doing regional exclusives anymore. 

Even Chinese New year sets release worldwide now since Dragon Boat Race last year.

14-18 sets being regional would be weird, and they already showed up on for example a spanish website.

It's not like this 400 year story is unknown, maybe the originals are talked about less, but adaptations like Dragonball, and many other games had some type of Monkey King character, reference or skin pack in them.

Edited by TeriXeri

There is a Spider-Man set that is supposed to be in an image share blackout until tomorrow, so Monkey Kid could be held off until then as well.

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

On which day of NYTF was Hidden Side reveled last year? Maybe un Monkey Kid will be revealed on that exact same day.

Thursday 14 feb ahead of the 2019 NYTF.

Edited by TeriXeri

I guess it's still possible, but pictures of the spiderman set already leaked.

Then again, liscensed sets usually do get seen before embargo, but it's not the same for original themes. You could say there's hope, but I don't know.

Sure it's not a regional theme, but it undoubtly is a big Chinese market push. Is it entirely impossible the unveiling could had been cancelled/postponed due to some Chinese contacts not being able to make it there? This is what already happened with Sony's attending of Pax East, they had to cancel the entire event due to the employees from Japan etc. being unable to make it to US.

Just now, GK733 said:

Sure it's not a regional theme, but it undoubtly is a big Chinese market push. Is it entirely impossible the unveiling could had been cancelled/postponed due to some Chinese contacts not being able to make it there? This is what already happened with Sony's attending of Pax East, they had to cancel the entire event due to the employees from Japan etc. being unable to make it to US.

I just realized something...

Is there any toy fair like event in China? Or something else that would be a more "fitting" place to show off something like this? Maybe lego wants to hit close to the main market for this theme, they might want to unveil it there.

25 minutes ago, GK733 said:

Well, there might be reasons like the Coronavirus playing a role as well , which already canceled part of the Toy Fair event.

https://www.toynews-online.biz/2020/02/05/new-york-toy-fair-cancels-china-pavilion-over-novel-coronavirus-fears/

Also many factories are shut down in China, not sure if LEGO is affected, but much of the country certainly isn't "business as usual" right now.

Don't want to go into Politics too much but this is how I see it.

21 minutes ago, NetherCreeper said:

I just realized something...

Is there any toy fair like event in China? Or something else that would be a more "fitting" place to show off something like this? Maybe lego wants to hit close to the main market for this theme, they might want to unveil it there.

I can see there's a China Toy Expo but that's in October.

Shenzhen International Toy & Education Fair was planned for 6-8 March but shows as "Postponed"

Originally scheduled to be held from 6 – 8 March 2020 in Shenzhen, the three fairs will now take place at a future date which will be announced in due course. The postponement follows a recent notice by the Guangdong Province Department of Commerce to suspend all large-scale events due to the Novel Coronavirus outbreak.

https://shenzhen-international-toy-and-education-fair.hk.messefrankfurt.com/shenzhen/en.html

But I think this already existing topic is a better place for more focused dicussion :

Edited by TeriXeri

7 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Well, there might be reasons like the Coronavirus playing a role as well , which already canceled part of the Toy Fair event.

https://www.toynews-online.biz/2020/02/05/new-york-toy-fair-cancels-china-pavilion-over-novel-coronavirus-fears/

Also many factories are shut down in China, not sure if LEGO is affected, but much of the country certainly isn't "business as usual" right now.

Don't want to go into Politics too much but this is how I see it.

Quite probable. I saw a report that many in China are avoiding in-person contact.

21 minutes ago, NetherCreeper said:

Oh, I kind of forgot that was a thing. Best guess, lego will reveal monkey kid around the time it will be/supposed to be, even if they don't go themselves.

Well... that's what I was referencing to, due to nature of the topic I'd prefer not to mention it in a set discussion. Having a strong physical presence with a theme like this is very important, but if it really turns out for the bad they might just have to do it via social media, it's not like the sets are releasing the next week, or maybe even before summer.