Sign in to follow this  

Hey guys, 

Long time no talk! I hope everyone is doing well! Happy New Year to everyone!

I had checked the Technic forum like the day after my holiday break started and saw that Jim had just posted the new contest, I immediately started thinking about what to do.  My initial idea was to take the cybertruck, beef it up and make it a mad max vehicle, so that is what I am working on. :classic:

I have 2 Sbricks, so that means I get roughly 8 functions; here is how I am going to break it down:

1. drive 

2. steering 

3. shifting 

4. diff lock 

5. diff lock 

6. winch 

7. winch

8. extra 

My main goal of this contest is function over form because I think that is what a mad max vehicle is.  Here are some pictures to show you some progress of the build so far... 

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

As you can see I have the chassis pretty much done at this point.  It is powered by 4 L motors and uses Sariel's sequential 4 speed transmission.  It has independent suspension on all four corners.  Both axles lock independently using pneumatics.  

In the last picture, you can see both of the winches and the front light bar style headlight.  The 4 functions plugged into that Sbrick are; steering, shifting and both winches.  

The next steps in this build are going to be working on the bodywork and figuring out how to control 2 pnuematic switches with one motor to free up another Sbrick slot for additional Mad Max-y type of stuff. 

I hope you like it!  Please leave any comments of concerns about the build, I would love to hear from you! Thanks!

Edited by aminnich

Excellent progress! I was unsure of how much competition I was gonna have, but with several new entries, I think this is gonna be a good contest!

I like idea of a beefy cybertruck, I'm just curious as to what else makes it beefy, besides the new wheels and jacking up the suspension.

Thank you for all the positive comments!! I did some more work on the build.  I am not crazy about how narrow the body is, but it might just be comparing it to the tires. Let me know what you think

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

I think it might be a little narrow, even with the massive Xerion tires. The proportions seem pretty accurate, however... Maybe because the wheels are entirely outside the chassis, including the massive turning radius, it makes the body seem too narrow for its size.

Little bit of an update, 

Removed the winches for now, I can use the function for a better purpose. 

Added a mount on the front. 

Changed the location of the motors for more ground clearance. 

Then added the rear body portion to the cab of the cybertruck.  

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Update #4

I got 7 of the 8 functions filled.  The final part will go on the front.  Then I will be cleaning it up for final pictures. 

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg