dzbin

Seeking Build Instructions maker for hire

Hello-
I've built a simple but good sized lego building, an approximate version of an existing house and pool. It has 1,903 total parts, mostly simple bricks. I don't think I'll be able to generate clear "lego-like" build instructions to go with it. 

LDD instructions seem ok, but for some reason the images of how the pieces go together is super tiny on the page.

Stud.io is turning out to be a little complex for me to figure out.

If you know of anybody would take this on for a fee, let me know. Cheers.

~djz

JGL017_no_bus4OPT.png

Do you realize how much time it takes to create "lego-like" build instructions? (I'm assuming you have a digital file) How much $ to charge...?? With a model this large it takes a capable PC and software that can handle it.

3 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

Do you realize how much time it takes to create "lego-like" build instructions? (I'm assuming you have a digital file) How much $ to charge...?? With a model this large it takes a capable PC and software that can handle it.

Yeah, I’m sure it would take me days to figure it out and do it. But somebody with experience and skills would take much less time. I’m on a 3 yr old MacBook Pro and it handles the file with ease...

8 hours ago, dzbin said:

If you know of anybody would take this on for a fee, let me know.

I'm sure there are people out there that would be able to do it, but unless you really throw money at it, of course nobody will take it up. This could easily take up three full work days at least and I'm sure you have some idea about hourly rates for average work in your area. This could literally end up costing you one buck per brick or more...

Mylenium

13 hours ago, dzbin said:

It has 1,903 total parts, mostly simple bricks. 

If you only handle each part for one minute that is more than three days, and usually you don't get them all correct the first time. You have to get 1903 parts in the right order, divided into steps, and that's not adding time for submodeling. That is not counting if the file has problems like parts not fitting together properly, not the right colors, not the right parts, problems arising from converting files to usable formats. Then you have to layout the pages which takes the most time. That is where a fast PC makes all the difference. I have found that even with excellent files, there is a lot of fine tuning before you get the final product. Stud.io is good but it's not up to the quality of other software or LEGO. Three days or more isn't even close. It takes a lot of time!!!

Edited by 1963maniac

21 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

Then you have to layout the pages which takes the most time. That is where a fast PC makes all the difference.

It's not really this simple. Most of the brick CAD softwares are so unsophisticated that it barely takes any advantage of e. g. multi-core processors, let alone advanced GPU acceleration features. You could have the latest AMD Ryzen and things might still feel slower than on an older setup. You know, that old thing with per core efficiency, threading, asynchronus I/O and all that good stuff.

Mylenium

Seems like it'd be better to auto-generate instructions from stud.io and only do custom pages for things it didn't do good enough.
won't be TLG quality but probably a better compromise than dropping a grand or two on professional graphic designed instructions.
But we don't know the OPs budget or purpose.

2 minutes ago, Masked Mini said:

Seems like it'd be better to auto-generate instructions from stud.io and only do custom pages for things it didn't do good enough.
won't be TLG quality but probably a better compromise than dropping a grand or two on professional graphic designed instructions

Whoa! I didn’t know you could auto-generate in stud.io, this sounds like a good option for me. How do I do that? I’ll dig around for more info

also, thank you to everyone who replied, I’m still learning. Cheers.

google stud.io + instruction maker and you'll find a ton of reddit posts, you tube vids and tutorials.
just a matter of picking your preferred medium for a guide.

I would do it for not that much money; I enjoy it. PM me. I use Stud.io and have done a 1300+ piece model with steps. https://rebrickable.com/users/CathyVT/mocs/

Actually, I see I need to tweak some of the first few steps in the PDF for the biggest model, https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-25711/CathyVT/10193-medieval-house-with-keep (instructions at https://bricksafe.com/files/CathyVT/10193/house-with-keep/10193medievalhouse.pdf). I mostly work off the rotatable online steps at bricklink: https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=90453 (then click on "Building Steps"). I can provide both the online steps and the PDF.

Stud.io makes it fairly easy, once you learn the software - separate pieces into steps, have it auto generate instructions, and typically I just have to tweak by rotating some instruction steps so you can see all the pieces that were added per step, and resizing the box showing the new pieces, and/or resizing the model. But I totally get it if you don't want to invest the time to learn it - I've certainly had frustrations along the way while learning.

Edited by vermontcathy

21 minutes ago, dzbin said:

Whoa! I didn’t know you could auto-generate in stud.io, this sounds like a good option for me. How do I do that? I’ll dig around for more info

also, thank you to everyone who replied, I’m still learning. Cheers.

You first have to make "steps" in Studio - "add step", select some pieces, and drag into that step. Then set it to hide pieces that are in later steps than the one you're in (so you don't see the pieces you've already added to a step). You're basically deconstructing your model a handful of pieces at a time. It's a bit tedious. And you have to make some sub-models sometimes (not always). Once your whole model is separated into steps, then it can auto-generate instructions. Then you tweak the instructions - rotating the model so you can see all new pieces, and sometimes resizing the box showing the new pieces, and/or resizing the model. Then save as PDF. 

I'd say, if you're going to use the learned skills again - making more models - then it's totally worth it to learn it yourself. If you don't think you'll ever make another model with instructions, then it would probably be more efficient to pay someone.

29 minutes ago, Masked Mini said:

won't be TLG quality but probably a better compromise than dropping a grand or two on professional graphic designed instructions.
But we don't know the OPs budget or purpose.

A grand or two?? Good lord, I'd do it for a Bookstore ($179 + tax). It's fun.

Instructions that I put some effort into tweaking (as opposed to the medieval keep instructions where the first few steps look like crap): https://bricksafe.com/files/CathyVT/60226/runabout-pair/60226runabout-truck.pdf 

Edited by vermontcathy

12 minutes ago, vermontcathy said:

Good lord, I'd do it for a Bookstore ($179 + tax). It's fun.

On a good day, yes. But considering what effort it took me to get my Octopus instructions together, I'm always willing to be prepared for the worst. Perhaps it's just my own perfectionist OCD as a graphics person getting in the way, perhaps I'm just too pessimistic about these matters, but doing an instruction for a 2000 pieces building, no matter how simple, is not going to be a cakewalk one way or the other.

Mylenium

9 minutes ago, Mylenium said:

On a good day, yes. But considering what effort it took me to get my Octopus instructions together, I'm always willing to be prepared for the worst. Perhaps it's just my own perfectionist OCD as a graphics person getting in the way, perhaps I'm just too pessimistic about these matters, but doing an instruction for a 2000 pieces building, no matter how simple, is not going to be a cakewalk one way or the other.

Mylenium

Nice instructions (and nice alt model - too bad I don't like squid, or I'd buy that set, to do that alt). You've tweaked the auto-generated instructions quite a bit to make it look extra pro - nice. I've added some arrows with notes to some of my instructions, and on some I've put a photo (or rendering of the model) at the beginning; I should probably do that for all of them. I doubt this is your first set of steps made in Studio - although you've only got that one listed on Rebrickable. And you're right - it can be a total headache. But you (and I) have now learned the headachy issues and can avoid them, and do things quicker, now that we've got experience. 

That's why I was saying it's up to the OP - if they're going to use the skills again, dive in and learn it, because the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time you make instructions, it'll go easier and easier. If you won't make more, and/or don't have the time or patience to learn it, hire someone.

One last thing - Perfection is the enemy of the good. The last 10% of awesomeness in your instructions probably took 90% of your time. If someone can be satisfied with "fully functional and gets the job done" vs. your totally beautiful instructions, it can be done a lot faster. I probably spent less than 45 minutes tweaking the semi-auto-generated Studio instructions for this alt. (I say semi-auto-generated instructions because you have to separate the pieces into steps first, which is time-consuming).

Edited by vermontcathy

On 1/3/2020 at 6:41 AM, vermontcathy said:

I would do it for not that much money; I enjoy it. PM me. I use Stud.io and have done a 1300+ piece model with steps. https://rebrickable.com/users/CathyVT/mocs/

Actually, I see I need to tweak some of the first few steps in the PDF for the biggest model, https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-25711/CathyVT/10193-medieval-house-with-keep (instructions at https://bricksafe.com/files/CathyVT/10193/house-with-keep/10193medievalhouse.pdf). I mostly work off the rotatable online steps at bricklink: https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=90453 (then click on "Building Steps"). I can provide both the online steps and the PDF.

Stud.io makes it fairly easy, once you learn the software - separate pieces into steps, have it auto generate instructions, and typically I just have to tweak by rotating some instruction steps so you can see all the pieces that were added per step, and resizing the box showing the new pieces, and/or resizing the model. But I totally get it if you don't want to invest the time to learn it - I've certainly had frustrations along the way while learning.

I've been trying to PM you but the system won't let me. Shrug.  If your interested, send me an email. Cheers.    **** at Mac d0t c0m

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 2.32.10 PM.png

Edited by dzbin

12 minutes ago, Masked Mini said:

Probably not allowed to PM until your post count is high enough.

No worries - we've gotten in touch.