Sign in to follow this  
Takanuinuva

Modular building question/tips

I'm working on a pizza joint moc in LDD and want it to be sturdy if it were to be built IRL

So I'm looking at modular buildings as reference.

Are the walls in them 1 brick thick or 2 bricks thick. 1x2 vs 2x2

Please move if in the wrong spot.

Hey mate, the official modular walls are all 1 brick thick. Built properly and that's more than strong even for rough play, the decorative bits will fall off long before the structure collapses. 

Probably the biggest thing to remember when trying to envision LDD as an IRL structure is to stagger the joints as much as possible, wherever possible.  Even with 1 stud thick walls it adds a lot of strength to physical models.  Personally, I like to use a lot of 1x6 bricks (or longer) wherever I can and to stagger joints by at least two studs between courses.  A single stud overlap acts more like a pivot or a hinge when a joint is being pressed on from the sidewall, two or more studs stiffens things up to make the model more "play durable."  I'm also fond of injecting a few of the "L" shaped 1x corner bricks and plates to stiffen up corners and, IRL, this helps counter some of the torquing the model would be subject to during normal play and handling when two adjacent walls are grabbed by the middle (several studs removed from the corner) to remove a story or pull the model down from a shelf.

3 hours ago, ShaydDeGrai said:

Probably the biggest thing to remember when trying to envision LDD as an IRL structure is to stagger the joints as much as possible, wherever possible.  Even with 1 stud thick walls it adds a lot of strength to physical models.  Personally, I like to use a lot of 1x6 bricks (or longer) wherever I can and to stagger joints by at least two studs between courses.  A single stud overlap acts more like a pivot or a hinge when a joint is being pressed on from the sidewall, two or more studs stiffens things up to make the model more "play durable."  I'm also fond of injecting a few of the "L" shaped 1x corner bricks and plates to stiffen up corners and, IRL, this helps counter some of the torquing the model would be subject to during normal play and handling when two adjacent walls are grabbed by the middle (several studs removed from the corner) to remove a story or pull the model down from a shelf.

Well I want to use the masonry bricks for my walls. So I only have 1x2 and 1x4 to work with.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=15533#T=C