Chiaroscuro

Is there a way to create instructions automatically in Stud.io?

I am making the switch from Lego LDD to Bricklink Stud.io (mainly because of the support for new pieces) but I didn´t find a way to create instructions automatically on Stud.io.

I know that Stud.io has a powerfull step-by-step instruction maker, but I would like to have a quick instructions generator, like LDD has (even if it is very rough and strange the way the steps are added) to make the first build of my creations, to test it for stability etc before making the final model (and then using the step-by-step maker to produce the final instructions). Since I am building 2.000+ pieces projects it is very hard to follow the LDD or io file by itself to build the initial buid, and a quick instruction guide would be great.

Is there something similar to LDD automatically generated instructions available in Stud.io? Thanks!

5 hours ago, Chiaroscuro said:

I am making the switch from Lego LDD to Bricklink Stud.io (mainly because of the support for new pieces) but I didn´t find a way to create instructions automatically on Stud.io.

I know that Stud.io has a powerfull step-by-step instruction maker, but I would like to have a quick instructions generator, like LDD has (even if it is very rough and strange the way the steps are added) to make the first build of my creations, to test it for stability etc before making the final model (and then using the step-by-step maker to produce the final instructions). Since I am building 2.000+ pieces projects it is very hard to follow the LDD or io file by itself to build the initial buid, and a quick instruction guide would be great.

Is there something similar to LDD automatically generated instructions available in Stud.io? Thanks!

First, with 2000+ pieces, I hope you’re using submodels.

Then, Studio can create steps automatically: go to the Instruction mode, select the parts, and a “divide into steps” buttons appears, click on it, et voilà.

It’s crude bottom-up building but it does the trick for simple builds (hence the usefulness of submodels).

1 minute ago, SylvainLS said:

First, with 2000+ pieces, I hope you’re using submodels.

Then, Studio can create steps automatically: go to the Instruction mode, select the parts, and a “divide into steps” buttons appears, click on it, et voilà.

It’s crude bottom-up building but it does the trick for simple builds (hence the usefulness of submodels).

Problem is: I started my projects in LDD (with submodels/groups) then I reached a point I needed the new pieces, so converted the files to Stud.io. All groups were gone in the conversion. I am trying to make them again, but that is a different task, as first I finished the projects with the new pieces. Now I have huge Stud.io files that I need to rework (adding submodels, etc) but I would like to test the model in real bricks first, so the instructions would come in hand.

But thanks for the second part, I really missed it because in LDD you didn´t have to select the parts. It works for what I need!

On 1/1/2020 at 11:07 PM, SylvainLS said:

lxf2ldr and lxf2ldr.html know how to convert LDD groups into LDraw/Studio submodels.

It might be easier to “finish” some of your models again.

Thank you very much for your software, i've just tested lxf2ldr.html and it works flawless

I'm creating submodels in ldd mainly as steps adding new bricks, so when transforming via your code and loading to stud.io, my model still needs some polishing of releasing the steps and creating real submodels, but its much better, then creating it from zero.

Big thanks