Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

I just wish they’d completely change their approach to the theme. I get most excited when we have a wave with no movie release because in years like 2013 we got a cool Daily Bugle set with Nova and a Nick Fury car on one of our first comic/cartoon based Marvel waves of this theme. It set the bar high for me because I envisioned the Lego group using these waves to introduce new characters. 

that said, whatever this set is I hope it’s a structure. I have become so bored with all these useless vehicles it seems both themes have become mainly vehicle based sets. Is there still no confirmation on if it’s Marvel? DC got 2 D2C’s haven’t they? But still no official word on what theme it’ll go to correct?

Just wish these past few waves were used to give us Elektra, Moon Knight, Punisher, or a comic Thor wave or comic based Guardians sets. The cinematic universe made many characters household names and I actually reckon a spontaneous wave of comic Gamora, Groot, and Starlord on shelves would excite both kids and Afols more than a wave full of characters we’ve already gotten (and most in better variants too). Meaning if these sets had a different character roster they probably would sell better for Lego. A theory.

I doubt we'll ever see a wave of sets where it isn't mostly vehicles, but I really wish they'd make more building/facade sets per wave and include some side build structures in the vehicle sets. Even just a newspaper stand or something like they did in 79118 (a TMNT set) *and the original Ghost Rider set 76058* with their oversized bikes would be nice. There really are a lot of different buildings from the Marvel universe they could make into $50-90 sets like they did with the Daily Bugle. Even just generic NY buildings would be cool and would work since most of the characters live there haha

Edited by Marvelous Spidey
forgot about the Ghost Rider set

On 11/29/2020 at 5:41 PM, HarryVader said:

I just really don’t see how this set is NOT Endgame, or maybe like I said that’s just me being too optimistic

Well, it really did seem odd to me that they never tried to release some sort of UCS gauntlet. Granted, I cannot fathom a gauntlet that would justify that price point.

3 hours ago, cosmic said:

I get most excited when we have a wave with no movie release [...]

This year must've been pretty exciting for you then, with only one movie set released (or two, if you count the exclusive BW set) :grin: I'm the exact opposite, feed me more MCU sets :moar:

38 minutes ago, BrickHat said:

Well, it really did seem odd to me that they never tried to release some sort of UCS gauntlet. Granted, I cannot fathom a gauntlet that would justify that price point.

At this price point, you should be able to comfortably wear it :laugh:

15 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

I'm the exact opposite, feed me more MCU sets :moar:

Same. The MCU sets are usually much more interesting than the comics ones in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, HarryVader said:

Same. The MCU sets are usually much more interesting than the comics ones in my opinion. 

That's really only because they can't seem to figure out how to do the comics justice. They just make generic, barely-related products and slap a Spider symbol on it rather than attempt to adapt scenes from recent or classic comic series. It's easy for them to make good MCU sets when there are obviously important things to include(except the case of Endgame where the sets had virtually nothing to do with the film outside of the figures). Imagine if they adapted stuff from recent comic series like Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy or Avengers(at least we're getting Robbie and his car so I guess that counts?). I think the problems are there is too much material for them to decipher what to do sets on, the comics aren't always kid friendly, fewer people read comics than watch movies or tv shows to understand the reference material, and Marvel has more control over what products can be made based off of movie and tv content. Then again, an argument could be made that good comic-based sets might make kids curious about the source material and might get them into reading comics. I think these problems would possibly be solved if Marvel had more say in the creative process to improve brand recognition and integration for cross-promotion of comic events. As it is, Marvel is really loose with the licensing of products as long as the characters look and act like they're supposed to regardless of the quality of the product they appear in or on.

55 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

as long as the characters look and act like they're supposed to regardless of the quality of the product they appear in or on.

Interestingly I recently watched the Marvel 616 documentary on Disney+ and there was an episode on Marvel toys. In one scene, the Marvel merchandise supervisor was looking at the Spider jet from 2020 and saying that it looks really good. Maybe you’re right, Marvel might only care that their characters are decently well represented in these toys.

2 hours ago, HarryVader said:

Interestingly I recently watched the Marvel 616 documentary on Disney+ and there was an episode on Marvel toys. In one scene, the Marvel merchandise supervisor was looking at the Spider jet from 2020 and saying that it looks really good. Maybe you’re right, Marvel might only care that their characters are decently well represented in these toys.

Interesting, I haven't watched 616 I might get to it eventually. Yeah, I mean I've seen a ton of awful products that still have the Marvel branding and characters on it over the years. They're not exactly picky. 

8 hours ago, HarryVader said:

saying that it looks really good

Tbf, they're not gonna say that an official product looks terrible 

4 hours ago, PGBQW said:

True haha. I just think it’s interesting that they chose to feature that set rather than an actually good one. 

5 hours ago, PGBQW said:

"Yeah this is terrible but you should buy it anyway. Really, just trust us :grin:''

18 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

That's really only because they can't seem to figure out how to do the comics justice. They just make generic, barely-related products and slap a Spider symbol on it rather than attempt to adapt scenes from recent or classic comic series. It's easy for them to make good MCU sets when there are obviously important things to include

My point exactly! But it doesn’t have to be this way. Marvel has a very popular character roster with audiences familiar with many marvel property. Lego has so much room for expansion and innovation in this theme. I can see how an MCU wave would excite people but I prefer comic designs for figures and toys. This wave every figure had been released in some way before. But thats not necessary. We haven’t gotten every Spiderman villain (looking at you Lizard) or every Avenger (cough Moon Knight cough). When a comic wave is released it COULD be an opportunity to released well detailed quality printed characters new to the theme. Spiderwoman can still be made as a regular figure no? I would love to see her in a set with a different hair piece dual molded legs and better print overall. Even characters we already got would be interesting in comic form. I would love a comic accurate Thor wave with a pigtailed Valkyrie and a well printed Loki fig. Comic versions of the Guardians are particularly high on my list of what Lego should produce. Comic waves have been nothing but useless vehicles and repetitive characters  so they don’t excite people. But what if they were movie -like sets with both mini structures in vehicle based sets and a higher ratio of structures in waves all-together as well as introducing several new characters. 

I mean imagine how excited AFOL’s would be to have a random wave hit shelves with comic accurate Scarlet Witch, Vision, Spider-Woman, Moon Knight, Gamora and more. I can’t be the only person who thinks that would be the most exciting wave to collect?

If handled different this property would probably make Lego twice the money they make on it now. But I may never know.

20 minutes ago, cosmic said:

If handled different this property would probably make Lego twice the money they make on it now. But I may never know.

100% agree. I sometimes wonder if the Lego Marvel designers actually like Marvel. The people over at Hasbro responsible for Marvel Legends make all kinds of comic book characters and variants and as a result, the line is immensely popular among both adults and children. Over at Lego, we just get Venom Venom Venom and mechs mechs and more mechs.

1 hour ago, HarryVader said:

100% agree. I sometimes wonder if the Lego Marvel designers actually like Marvel. The people over at Hasbro responsible for Marvel Legends make all kinds of comic book characters and variants and as a result, the line is immensely popular among both adults and children. Over at Lego, we just get Venom Venom Venom and mechs mechs and more mechs.

This pains me quite a bit. A couple of days ago I was watching the 616 Marvel docuseries on Disney Plus. They had a whole episode dedicated to toys. Guess what they focused on? Marvel Legends and Funko. Seeing the character selection for either of those makes me sad because of what could be but is not with the Lego theme.

1 hour ago, BrickHat said:

Seeing the character selection for either of those makes me sad because of what could be but is not with the Lego theme.

It’s very sad because based on product quality, global appeal, and overall value I believe that LEGO, as both toy and collectible, is superior to Hasbro and Funko, but unfortunately we as Marvel fans can never feel Lego’s prestige when it comes to Marvel products. Hasbro and Funko both know how to take advantage of the biggest franchise of all time (I’ve said this too many times but look at the variants Hasbro and Funko are making for their Endgame lines, which included multiple waves. They are still making Endgame products more than a year after the film’s release. Hasbro just remade the entire Children of Thanos lineup and I as a Lego fan can only dream to get more Endgame products). LEGO, unfortunately for reasons that we may never know, decides that Marvel is not good enough for them to make good sets...

If you look at the documentary, Marvel is proud of Hasbro’s Marvel Legends products, and the fact that Lego only gets a few seconds of screentime shows how unimportant and irrelevant this theme is. 

13 minutes ago, HarryVader said:

If you look at the documentary, Marvel is proud of Hasbro’s Marvel Legends products, and the fact that Lego only gets a few seconds of screentime shows how unimportant and irrelevant this theme is. 

I also feel it is important to have these conversations because the Lego brand needs to be aware of the dissatisfaction and criticism of their job with one of their biggest properties. I don’t understand how this theme can at times have such low quality when the brand brings to my what could be one of their greatest products? Like this is comic books in the era of the MCU and comic nerdness at an all time high. This is an era where the market is huge for both Lego and Marvel, standards for the fusion of both should be high considering how greatly Lego has treated past licensed themes such as LoTR and Overwatch, Harry Potter. If I was an executive at Marvel I’d be yelling at Lego for not giving me my bucks worth when they gave other licenses high quality sets. I’d demand more! 

Remember the hype Lego gave us with that first Avengers wave? How excited we all were for the years to come and the additions we would see? An inclusion of an X-Men set had me dreaming of X-Men Lego sets. I’m a HUGE X-Men fan and would throw money at anything Lego x-Men. I imagined a world where several years down the line I’d have an amazing character roster. And in many ways that’s true, but not without saying we couldn’t have more. I mean no new characters besides the Ghost Rider? Lizard, Black Cat, Rhino classic, we have new figures yet to be seen for Spiderman. But this year is another wasted winter wave.

All I’m saying is this theme is popular enough to get as many sets as Harry Potter and Star Wars, with the same quality too. The more new figures they put out the more money they’d make. And in comics you practically have an endless supply.

lastly, (oops another long comment) I would like to know if it is an administrative decision to rarely branch outside a select roster of characters, or a personal choice taken on by designers. Like is a higher up at either Marvel or Lego instructing set builders to reuse the same characters or is it happening by chance? Because unless there’s a licensing issue could anyone imagine a higher up wanting a repetitive character roster? Maybe they don’t think other properties would sell? Like why are we getting waves like this, where every build sucks and no figure interests me? Like sorry to be such a negative voice in this thread but who’s idea was it to do what they do? 

I’ve said this too many times, but my main dissatisfaction with 2020 Marvel comes from the fact that 2019 and 2020 had so many popular Marvel properties like Endgame and Miles Morales PS4, yet Lego went all-in on Square Enix Avengers, which lost a ton of money (and was just a disappointing game). I also wonder who decides what gets made. I don’t believe it’s Marvel because every other toy company is making more Endgame products (it’s also unacceptable that Hasbro’s $10 Endgame kids line has more characters and variants than the Lego wave). Here’s to hoping for a strong 2021 with so many MCU movies (hopefully none gets delayed again) and a potential D2C 

Edited by HarryVader

I echo many of your sentiments, HarryVader. A silver lining for me is that Lego has realized that there is a market for adult fans, and has started gearing some sets towards them. That might give us some interesting models in the future for Marvel, potentially with figures that might not sell among young kids.

33 minutes ago, HarryVader said:

Here’s to hoping for a strong 2021 with so many MCU movies (hopefully none gets delayed again) and a potential D2C 

It’s looking very likely 

1 hour ago, Falconfan1414 said:

It’s looking very likely 

That's good to hear! Unless you're referring to the possibility of more delays.

It definitely seems likey most of us are in agreement about how LEGO is handling this theme. Personally I feel really lucky that I'm getting not one but two excellent, cheap Ghost Rider sets when so many popular characters have gotten nothing. Being my favorite comic characters of all-time, I'm not complaining by any means but considering how this theme has been over the years it just seems so inexplicably strange that they got made especially because there was no ancillary media promoting them at either time(unless there's some big Robbie Reyes-related surprise coming next year but I find that unlikely as much as I would love it). I would love to know the story behind how these 2 sets came to be. Maybe one of the designers is a big Ghost Rider fan like me! With the new Ghost Rider set, it's likely the success of the first set played a part and given the time the set would have started being designed the Ghost Rider show was still happening. It's possible this was intended as an unofficial tie-in like the Suicide Squad characters appearing in Batman sets but then why do that for Ghost Rider and not any of the other Marvel characters who got shows? The whole thing is just puzzling. Heck, they have yet to payoff that Daredevil tease in the Sanctum Sanctorum set. It's even more puzzling when you consider how little Ghost Rider has ever interacted with Spider-man and yet Daredevil teams up with him so regularly they share some of the same villains like Kingpin. Where's the Spider-man and Daredevil vs Kingpin set LEGO?

Edited by ToaDraco

8 hours ago, BrickHat said:

I echo many of your sentiments, HarryVader. A silver lining for me is that Lego has realized that there is a market for adult fans, and has started gearing some sets towards them. That might give us some interesting models in the future for Marvel, potentially with figures that might not sell among young kids.

Problem is that LEGO in general just doesn't have a clue what they're doing with that 18+ line. They're using it to make a bunch of display models nobody really asked for (and that could easily be placed under 16+) and not things that would actually attract adult fans. If Marvel consists mostly of vehicles because ''kids love those'' then use the 18+ line to give the other fans what they want. There's so much potential for this 18+ label across LEGO's entire catalogue of themes and properties but they're using none of it.

5 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Problem is that LEGO in general just doesn't have a clue what they're doing with that 18+ line. They're using it to make a bunch of display models nobody really asked for (and that could easily be placed under 16+) and not things that would actually attract adult fans. If Marvel consists mostly of vehicles because ''kids love those'' then use the 18+ line to give the other fans what they want. There's so much potential for this 18+ label across LEGO's entire catalogue of themes and properties but they're using none of it.

Well, we will have to agree to disagree. Some of their choices so far seem odd, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they don't have a clue... The Ecto-1 seems like a hit to me. Plus, didn't the theme just start like a year ago? Perhaps I am being naïve, but I think the fact that many of the designers are fans themselves will mean that the 18+ theme should at least give us a couple of sets that we want that would otherwise not be produced.

5 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

TLG never said the 18+ line is designed for AFOLs specifically, it’s targeted towards adults who aren’t necessarily fans already. They’re supposed to draw in people that otherwise wouldn’t buy sets (hence the distinct boxart style), which is why they’re experimenting with large-scale models, mosaics, decorative sets and the helmets :laugh: 

What would you suggest they should do instead? Just wondering :classic:

59 minutes ago, BrickHat said:

Well, we will have to agree to disagree. Some of their choices so far seem odd, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they don't have a clue... The Ecto-1 seems like a hit to me. Plus, didn't the theme just start like a year ago? Perhaps I am being naïve, but I think the fact that many of the designers are fans themselves will mean that the 18+ theme should at least give us a couple of sets that we want that would otherwise not be produced.

While the Ecto-1 is a great model it's not something we wouldn't have gotten if the 18+ line wasn't a thing. It's just a 16+ set with the 18+ tag :def_shrug:

44 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

TLG never said the 18+ line is designed for AFOLs specifically, it’s targeted towards adults who aren’t necessarily fans already. They’re supposed to draw in people that otherwise wouldn’t buy sets (hence the distinct boxart style), which is why they’re experimenting with large-scale models, mosaics, decorative sets and the helmets :laugh: 

What would you suggest they should do instead? Just wondering :classic:

I know the 18+ line isn't specifically targeting existing AFOLs but imo it should be. Quite a few sets they've slapped the 18+ label shouldn't really have that label anyway (1989 Batwing, Sesame Street, Elf Clubhouse, Ecto-1, new modular, etc.). 

I'd argue that it's better to take the 18+ line over a new leaf: give AFOLs what they want but don't get because kids aren't as interested in it. There are so many examples for things they could, here's a couple of them: 
- Non-Batman and Spider-Man comic stuff. Kids apparently love those 2 enough for LEGO not to branch out but that's exactly what AFOLs want them do. Continue pumping out the crappy stuff kids love so much and give AFOLs sets with new and unique figures and (most importantly) good builds that aren't rehashed vehicles.
- Jurassic Park sets. LEGO is almost completely ignoring the original films because kids prefer World, even though tons of fans are still waiting for more Park sets (especially after that awfull D2C :sick: ). So continue the World line and put the Park stuff under the 18+ range. 
- Star Wars display models that aren't region-exclusive or cost a kidney. The Bespin Duel set is great, give us more where that came from!

If used properly the 18+ range could give AFOLs exactly what they want without making less stuff for LEGO's main audience: kids. You won't reel in more adult fans with overpriced busts and buildable flowers, not to mention that the average poster costs a lot less than the small fortune they're asking for the Art sets and most of the time even look a lot better :laugh_hard: I know this is very much a subjective thing but imo the 18+ line is the most useless thing LEGO has created in the last decade.