Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

20 minutes ago, InnerRayg said:

Lego isn't Funko, they're targeting totally different demographics.

That’s still not an excuse for to make disappointing sets with variants that no one asked for. I understand that Lego Marvel is more targeted towards children compared to the other toy lines, but children also buy Funko and Marvel Legends. Furthermore, I’m convinced they also prefer to have movie-accurate sets rather than mechs again and again. 

Edited by HarryVader

2 hours ago, InnerRayg said:

You guys are crazy if you think Marvel isn't approving every set decision. Lego isn't Funko, they're targeting totally different demographics.

Approving isn't the same as dictating what the sets include. Marvel aproves a lot of crappy products all they care about is if the characters are represented well enough.

Edited by ToaDraco

7 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

Approving isn't the same as dictating what the sets include. Marvel aproves a lot of crappy products all they care about is if the characters are represented well enough.

Well maybe it's time for Marvel to start dictating what LEGO should make :tongue:

21 hours ago, HarryVader said:

children also buy Funko and Marvel Legends. Furthermore, I’m convinced they also prefer to have movie-accurate sets rather than mechs again and again. 

I mean, no? They don't? Collectors buy those lines. Theyre completely different demographics...and what kid is going to turn away a sweet robot for "tony stark's office" or whatever? Call me crazy, but I still trust the billion dollar toy company to have a pretty good idea about what kids like.

Edited by InnerRayg

24 minutes ago, InnerRayg said:

what kid is going to turn away a sweet robot for "tony stark's office" or whatever? Call me crazy, but I still trust the billion dollar toy company to have a pretty good idea about what kids like.

I respectfully disagree. I was a kid when I saw the first Avengers movie, and I remember wanting Leviathan and Helicarrier over a Captain America motorcycle or part of the Helicarrier's interior. Accurate sets do not have to be boring like Stark's office. I believe that no kid would reject builds like Iron Monger, the quantum tunnel from Endgame, or Sanctuary II. For Wandavision, I agree the builds may sound boring like "Wanda's living room," but Lego already makes these kinds of builds in other lines such as Creator, City, and Friends. Even if kids don't like them, Lego has an 18+ line, and they know that adults collect Lego Marvel too (ex: Iron Man's helmet). I see where you're coming from, but there are so many builds from the Marvel universe that kids and adults can both enjoy more than mechs and helicopters. I don't deny that Lego is a fantastic toy company but they just don't seem to spend as much effort on Marvel nowadays (I believe they have their reasons, but as a Marvel fan, this is a little frustrating). Sorry if I seem too fixated about this topic. I just really want to see good Lego Marvel sets (like the Bridge Battle) that everyone will be happy with again :)

Edited by HarryVader

I see zero reason why LEGO can't do more 18+ d2c type sets in the Marvel universe. Marvel has the helicarrier and that UCS Hulkbuster (and now Iron Man's Helmet) and that's basically it. DC has various Arkham sets, the Joker Mansion from TLBM, that retro Batcave, various Batmobiles and now a Batwing.

If they did an 18+ d2c set in the MCU that was actually a location (in the way of the Batcave or Arkham or Joker Mansion sets DC has gotten) and they did it properly I would definitely want one. Even Star Wars gets things like the Cantina as well as all the ships.

10 minutes ago, jonwil said:

I see zero reason why LEGO can't do more 18+ d2c type sets in the Marvel universe. Marvel has the helicarrier and that UCS Hulkbuster (and now Iron Man's Helmet) and that's basically it. DC has various Arkham sets, the Joker Mansion from TLBM, that retro Batcave, various Batmobiles and now a Batwing.

If they did an 18+ d2c set in the MCU that was actually a location (in the way of the Batcave or Arkham or Joker Mansion sets DC has gotten) and they did it properly I would definitely want one. Even Star Wars gets things like the Cantina as well as all the ships.

There is that rumoured D2C for next year. Maybe they’re testing the waters?

46 minutes ago, InnerRayg said:

I mean, no? They don't? Collectors buy those lines. Theyre completely different demographics...and what kid is going to turn away a sweet robot for "tony stark's office" or whatever? Call me crazy, but I still trust the billion dollar toy company to have a pretty good idea about what kids like.

"Tony Stark's office" gimme a break. There are tons of characters, vehicles and action locations they can easily do that would appeal to fans of all ages. Being a billion dollar toy company doesn't change the fact that Marvel isn't even among the top selling themes and hasn't been year after year despite the cultural phenomenon the MCU has become. They're failing to fully and properly capitalize on the license, something they sadly have a history of doing.

58 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

They're failing to fully and properly capitalize on the license, something they sadly have a history of doing.

To be honest, Lego isn’t the best toy company when it comes to making decisions about what media properties to make tie-in sets for and how to make tie-in products. Producing a million Square Enix sets is not the first time that Lego has decided to invest in an unpopular media property. Remember when Lego made sets based off movies like Angry Birds and TMNT 2014 and the sets flopped with the movies? I don’t know how the Trolls World Tour sets did but a lot of people disliked the idea when it came out (at least it did well on PVOD so maybe Lego made the right call?) Anyways, I believe that Lego needs to do a better job coordinating with movie companies to make sure that they make sets that people want and don’t waste effort on properties that people dislike. I really think the new 18+ line should include actual adult-themed sets, like sets based off the Netflix Defenders (unlikely now they’re canceled but just to make the point) and Logan. 

Edited by HarryVader

On 11/15/2020 at 4:38 PM, HarryVader said:

Sanctuary 

Edited by HRC
Deleted

Something else to keep in mind is that LEGO makes these decisions because children apparently likes these recycled ideas but they completely ignore the sourcematerial. Peter Parkers Spider-Man has gotten 2 mechs during the last few waves, something that really doesn't make any sense. But LEGO just blindly ignores the fact that there are in fact Spider-people who do use a mech, one of which (Peni Parker) was even included in a beloved animated movie!

12 hours ago, HRC said:

I don't think kids would want or like the big bad ship that carries the villain which kills all the heroes. Just saying. 

I do agree with your other statements though, that Lego doesn't know how to make tie-in products that well.

Villains are basically the bread and butter of the superhero genre, and characters like Darth Vader are as popular as they are for a reason. I think it's way off the mark to say that kids don't like/want villains or things associated with them.

10 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Peter Parkers Spider-Man has gotten 2 mechs during the last few waves, something that really doesn't make any sense. But LEGO just blindly ignores the fact that there are in fact Spider-people who do use a mech, one of which (Peni Parker) was even included in a beloved animated movie!

That's a good point. If LEGO likes to produce mechs and vehicles for Marvel, they could at least gives us Sp//dr, Leopardon, Thanoscopter and Shocker's buggy, to name a few.  I would say the Detroit Steel mech and the Venom T-Rex are good build ideas originated from the comics.

30 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

Villains are basically the bread and butter of the superhero genre, and characters like Darth Vader are as popular as they are for a reason. I think it's way off the mark to say that kids don't like/want villains or things associated with them.

Yeah, I’m actually pretty annoyed how every time there’s a new Spider-man movie or game and LEGO makes indirect tie-ins with them, they only give us the good guys (all the alternate spider-men) and none of the villains. How cool would it have been to get Kingpin, Mr. Negative, Rhino, Prowler, or any of the other villains that are clearly getting media coverage instead of the same 5 we’ve been getting forever? I’m 99% percent sure kids want those villains too, especially if they want the heroes from the same media! If there’s one thing I’m happy about with the Square-Enix avengers sets, is that they actually gave us AIM and MODOK, but then again, no abomination or super-adaptoid, and they’re in the game too. Sorry for the rant, this was just on my mind and your comment refueled my inner “rage”. (it’s not that intense, I just can’t think of a better word.)

Now when I was a kid, I loved the villains even more than the heroes because they looked cooler to me. People need to stop thinking that all kids are less smart than us adults. They know what they want and they know when the products they buy are bad. I think Lego also knows that kids like villains. Otherwise why would they make so many versions of Thanos (but they never made the most desirable version -- Bald Thanos :pir-angry:)

Edited by HarryVader

I know it's a fun and unique idea so LEGO will never do it but it would be cool if LEGO adapted Harry Potter's new Movie Moments subtheme for the Marvel theme. Remember those legofied Marvel posters LEGO often publishes (example below)? What if they made like a DVD case instead of a book with a Movie Moment based on the film in question on the inside? Highly doubt it's something LEGO would ever do but imo it's a neat idea. Could even work for comic books I guess :shrug_oh_well:

Marvellous Marvel Movie Posters | BricksFanz

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

I know it's a fun and unique idea so LEGO will never do it but it would be cool if LEGO adapted Harry Potter's new Movie Moments subtheme for the Marvel theme. Remember those legofied Marvel posters LEGO often publishes (example below)? What if they made like a DVD case instead of a book with a Movie Moment based on the film in question on the inside? Highly doubt it's something LEGO would ever do but imo it's a neat idea. Could even work for comic books I guess :shrug_oh_well:

Marvellous Marvel Movie Posters | BricksFanz

Oooh, that would be awesome! Put in 3 or 4 of the most important characters, make the covers nice and detailed, and include a micro scene of the most important moment, and that would be awesome! That would work especially well for some of the solo movies we never got sets for, like Iron Man 1 and 2, or Winter Soldier, even Thor maybe. Or comics too, that would work really well to get some more classic designs. That would be so cool, and look especially great all together on a shelf! Like you said though, probably not. 

I will lose hope for lego marvel if this d2c is another rehash. My interest will probably only stem from the Spider-Man 3 sets/any future movie based Spidey sets henceforth. Spider-Man 3 is looking to be crazy in terms of characters included within the movie, such as : Kraven the Hunter, Electro, a POTENTIAL (I stress potential) inclusion of the two past live action Spider-Men actors, and other characters not yet revealed. 

Imagine if we do have a live action Spider-Verse in Spider-Man 3....that would be awesome to get represented in lego sets. Also extremely blind and wishful thinking here, but here's hoping for the Bosco suit finally getting a wide release figure in the main sets. (common theme for lego marvel sets is HOPE) lol.

3 minutes ago, TOTDForever said:

Also extremely blind and wishful thinking here, but here's hoping for the Bosco suit finally getting a wide release figure in the main sets. (common theme for lego marvel sets is HOPE) lol.

Possibly not a crazy hope, as Bosco suit is confirmed to return in Spider-Man 3

Kids don’t want villain things. Villains are designed to be disliked and beaten. Kids are not going to remember 

4 hours ago, PRbrickbuilder said:

Leopardon, Thanoscopter and Shocker's buggy

And want a toy of it. Kids are less smart than adults, in general. That’s why their brain is still growing and they are in school.

26 minutes ago, HRC said:

Kids don’t want villain things. Villains are designed to be disliked and beaten. Kids are not going to remember 

And want a toy of it. Kids are less smart than adults, in general. That’s why their brain is still growing and they are in school.

Skeleton, Mumm-Ra, Vader, Joker, Megatron, Tex Hex, Captain Hook, Miles Mayhem and countless others would like a word. Heck, even the younger kids stuff has bad guys, like Romeo, Night Ninja and Lunar Girl from PJ Masks and Mayor Humdinger from Paw Patrol. Kids like the bad guys so that the good guys have someone to beat up. Battle features would be meaningless and the Ghostbusters would be four strange men with pointless backpacks. 

1 hour ago, HRC said:

Yeah, no, absolutely not. Child me and my Emperor Zurg toys beg to differ. If what you were saying was true, then Lego wouldn't be producing TIE Fighters, AT-ATs, countless other villain spaceships and other vehicles every year, and battle packs consisting solely of stormtroopers and other bad guys in the Star Wars theme. Just look at the Marvel sets released this past year alone and see how many of them include a villain in their title (and how many of those don't include a hero in their title at all), including the Thanos Mech, a set whose only selling point is, hey look, a villain! Also, whether you like villains or not has absolutely nothing to do with intelligence, why do you even bring that up?

1 hour ago, HRC said:

Not necessarily.  I like the villains more as a kid and my youngest son also likes some villains more like Thanos.  Not saying i'm in the majority but there are people/kids that like the villains more.  I was usually drawn to the power and story of the villain more.  Sometimes the villains are just more interesting characters and kids do pick up on that.  

2 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

Child me and my Emperor Zurg toys beg to differ. 

Fellow Emperor Zurg fan here. I think sometimes the villains are portrayed as more powerful than the heroes to emphasize how brave the heroes are (imo the Empire vehicles in Star Wars look cooler than the Rebel ones). But there are also many villains who are fantastic characters who have earned massive fan-base (Thanos, Vader and Joker often outshine the heroes that they fight against). One of Lego’s flagship SW sets that sold for almost a decade is the Death Star. Given how popular Marvel villains like Thanos and Mysterio have become, I think it’d be perfectly fine for Lego to capitalize on them. A Sanctuary II, for example, makes sense as it’s a cool looking ship belonging to arguably one of the best movie villains out there

Edited by HarryVader

Same, I loved Emperor Zurg when I was a kid. I also liked Green Goblin,  Doc Ock, Magneto, Darth Maul, Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Jango Fett, Skeletor, and a TON of other villains. Kids like compelling villians because they provide heroes a proper challenge, they're often bombastic and dripping with personality and they're cool-looking.

Edited by ToaDraco