Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

How long until the Big Time and home-made suits leak?:tongue:
Seriously though those and the new Miles are all I care about figure wise this wave. I have zero attachment to Ghost Rider (though that might change if/when I watch Agents of Shield :shrug_confused:) and I got Ghost Spider in the very first set she came in. Unless by some miracle the hood actually is printed on the inside I’ll skip her. I just really want to have a suit rack for Spidey to display all the variants of him. 

1 hour ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

I have zero attachment to Ghost Rider (though that might change if/when I watch Agents of Shield :shrug_confused:) and I got Ghost Spider in the very first set she came in. 

I highly doubt AoS will change your opinion on this figure, I love their version of GR and I'm definetely not a fan of this fig :tongue:

On 11/1/2020 at 9:14 PM, Fenghuang0296 said:

All the same, definitely buying the Miles mech just for this figure.

I remember the same thing happening for the Iron man mech where the figure was exclusive in the beginning. I'm going to wait until purchasing it.

1 hour ago, HRC said:

I remember the same thing happening for the Iron man mech where the figure was exclusive in the beginning. I'm going to wait until purchasing it.

Okay good point. I thought the same with the Iron Man Mech earlier this year. Maybe it’s just that the trans blue web pieces excite me . . eh we’ll see what happens.

6 hours ago, HRC said:

They are all good. The ghost rider will give nightmares looks different, but it is comic-book accurate and looks scary. I don't think they did nose right because it looks like the upper mouth and the bridge of the nose form a mustache. I don't love it though because I thought it would be like the agents of shield ghost rider, not Halloween mustache man.

I mean, it kind of is? It's the same character, they just did a more comic accurate version of him as opposed to the more classic-inspired version we saw in AoS. You could always make a pretty close version of the AoS one by using the other Ghost Rider head right?

Edited by shadefoundry

12 hours ago, HRC said:

They are all good. The ghost rider will give nightmares looks different, but it is comic-book accurate and looks scary. I don't think they did nose right because it looks like the upper mouth and the bridge of the nose form a mustache. I don't love it though because I thought it would be like the agents of shield ghost rider, not Halloween mustache man.

How does it look like a mustache when it goes over the nose, not under it? It looks nothing like a mustache... Also why would they design it based on one season of AoS from a few years ago instead of the proper comic book accurate look he's had since he was introduced in 2014?

10 hours ago, shadefoundry said:

You could always make a pretty close version of the AoS one by using the other Ghost Rider head right?

I don't have the other Ghost Rider set and I was hoping to get a Ghost rider that looked more like his Agents of Shield appearance, suck as some of the flaming cracks in his skull or burning side jaws.

4 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

How does it look like a mustache when it goes over the nose, not under it? It looks nothing like a mustache... 

It's just my opinion. It's a line that goes in-between the "mouth" and "eyes", I didn't want to say metal "nose bridge" and upper "lip" combined to look like a really weird "nose" line that vaguely resembles the shape of a "mustache" line.

5 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

Also why would they design it based on one season of AoS from a few years ago instead of the proper comic book accurate look he's had since he was introduced in 2014?

Because more people watched Agents of Shield's Ghost Rider than read the comic book. "The Ghost", aired September 20, 2016, with 6.24 million viewers within a week (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ghost_(Agents_of_S.H.I.E.L.D.), while Absolute Carnage, Robbie Reyes' Ghost Rider's most popular appearance, had an estimated 242,402 units. (https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2019.html). More people know the AoS Robbie Reyes ghost rider than the comic book appearance. 

3 hours ago, HRC said:

More people know the AoS Robbie Reyes ghost rider than the comic book appearance. 

True, however, the AOS and Netflix shows have more "adult" themes, which explains why Lego might have not chosen those variants. Furthermore, they are canceled shows, so I'm not sure how much lego would want to make tie-ins for those.

7 minutes ago, Altair1 said:

Just ordered the Nebulon fregate 77904 on the US Lego Shop! :laugh:

Congrats! But maybe you should post this on the Star Wars forum? 

Edited by HarryVader

2 minutes ago, Altair1 said:

Haha you are right! This is what happens when you don't sleep enough :-)

Haha no worries! I'm happy that you got the set :)

Edited by HarryVader

The comic Robbie Reyes ghost rider is darker. He is possessed by "a Satanic serial killer who kidnapped and murdered at least thirty-seven people in rituals before being fatally shot by police in 1999" who also happens to be his uncle, Eli Morrow. 

5 hours ago, HRC said:

I don't have the other Ghost Rider set and I was hoping to get a Ghost rider that looked more like his Agents of Shield appearance, suck as some of the flaming cracks in his skull or burning side jaws.

It's just my opinion. It's a line that goes in-between the "mouth" and "eyes", I didn't want to say metal "nose bridge" and upper "lip" combined to look like a really weird "nose" line that vaguely resembles the shape of a "mustache" line.

Because more people watched Agents of Shield's Ghost Rider than read the comic book. "The Ghost", aired September 20, 2016, with 6.24 million viewers within a week (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ghost_(Agents_of_S.H.I.E.L.D.), while Absolute Carnage, Robbie Reyes' Ghost Rider's most popular appearance, had an estimated 242,402 units. (https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2019.html). More people know the AoS Robbie Reyes ghost rider than the comic book appearance. 

And as much as I liked him on the show, it's irrelevant now, the show is over and they didn't make any sets tying into it then so why would they now? The closest thing we got was Coulson and Lola in a set featuring character variants from the cartoon at the time. it's a variant, not the proper look for the character anyway. The comic looks of characters are far more important as they're the source material everything else is based on. Whether or not more people watched the show than recognize the comic appearance is irrelevant and serves the point of trying to get more people interested in comics and to learn more about the characters. Also comparing tv show views to number of comics sold as a metric for which version of the character people are more familiar with is comparing apples to oranges, they're not the same thing. Do you know how many people read comics without buying them? Or share with friends, or read them online for free or hell, have just seen pictures of the comic look? I remember seeing the comic look for Robbie on the cover of what I think was Hot Rod on some magazine racks when he was first introduced in the comics. I would prefer everyone buy a copy of the comics but I can't control what other people do. You can't properly quantify that and even if you could it's still irrelevant because every movie, show, cartoon, game, toy, etc is in service to the comics. I get it if you prefer that look, I personally don't but I'm just pointing out that it's illogical to have expected them to go with a variant from a few years ago over the main look he's had since 2014. I would say that his appearance on the show definitely increased awareness of the character and created new fans who may have been interested enough to check out the comics and was likely part of the reason they made the set to begin with, on top of the Ghost Rider hulu series that was supposed to happen.

Edited by ToaDraco

Just finished the main story of Miles Morales (after having to wait an extra 2 days due to the postal service's incompetence :hmpf: ) and I've got to say it's amazing. Really kinda bothers me that LEGO never gives us anything from the Insomniac-verse instead of the crappy comic sets we've gotten for the last few years. There's so much potential!

11 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Just finished the main story of Miles Morales (after having to wait an extra 2 days due to the postal service's incompetence :hmpf: ) and I've got to say it's amazing. Really kinda bothers me that LEGO never gives us anything from the Insomniac-verse instead of the crappy comic sets we've gotten for the last few years. There's so much potential!

At this point I wouldn´t be surprised if Marvel held an Alien Conquest Blaster to LEGO´s head telling them to stick to "Comic" sets and reuse the same 4 villains for Spider-Man, they could do crappy sets with new villains but not even that...

2 hours ago, Walter529a said:

At this point I wouldn´t be surprised if Marvel held an Alien Conquest Blaster to LEGO´s head telling them to stick to "Comic" sets and reuse the same 4 villains for Spider-Man, they could do crappy sets with new villains but not even that...

Ya I don't think it's Marvel's fault LEGO does a terrible job with the license. You don't see that problem with any other licensed Marvel merch. I think it has far more to do with the LEGO Marvel team and poor decisionmaking, not to mention LEGO generally has a big hangup on making sets based off of video games and only recently have started to get more laxed about it. Until they partnered with Nintendo you could pretty much count the number of video game-inspired sets with one hand and most of them were from Star Wars.

Edited by ToaDraco

25 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

Ya I don't think it's Marvel's fault LEGO does a terrible job with the license. You don't see that problem with any other licensed Marvel merch. I think it has far more to do with the LEGO Marvel team and poor decisionmaking, not to mention LEGO generally has a big hangup on making sets based off of video games and only recently have started to get more laxed about it. Until they partnered with Nintendo you could pretty much count the number of video game-inspired sets with one hand and most of them were from Star Wars.

Definetely not Marvel's fault, otherwise I'd definetely wonder where Hasbro's keeping all their oversized motorcycles, mechs and jets :tongue:

I do really hope LEGO starts getting more creative and actually pays attention to source material, wether it's new or old. The comic sets aren't crap because they're based on the comics, they're crap because LEGO keeps reusing the same old concepts with next to no innovation. Right here and now I could throw a list of at least 15 Insomniac Spidey sets on the table but nope, gotta get more mechs :hmpf:

5 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Definetely not Marvel's fault, otherwise I'd definetely wonder where Hasbro's keeping all their oversized motorcycles, mechs and jets :tongue:

I do really hope LEGO starts getting more creative and actually pays attention to source material, wether it's new or old. The comic sets aren't crap because they're based on the comics, they're crap because LEGO keeps reusing the same old concepts with next to no innovation. Right here and now I could throw a list of at least 15 Insomniac Spidey sets on the table but nope, gotta get more mechs :hmpf:

Exactly! Sadly the only way I see the LEGO Marvel theme improving is making a change in the decisionmaking team becuase that's what it all boils down to. I don't blame the designers or at least not all of the designers because they've done some awesome stuff over the years but there's way more terrible designs that not even the target market finds interesting. Marvel should be in the top 5 selling themes but it's not. We're in a comicbook renaissance. Marvel movies are cultural events that are insanely popular and make mindboggling amounts of money and yet for the most part LEGO fails spectacularly at capitalizing on the brand.

I'm just trying to say that the current Ghost Rider Minifigure looks off and I wish it looked different. This is a discussion forum, not a debate. I don't know why you are attacking my opinions, we can all have opinions. I don't appreciate being condescendingly attacked for my opinions on a Lego Minifigure.

Spoiler
Spoiler

If you want to discuss this fine. Let's go.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Just because a show is over does not mean it is irrelevant. Take Friends, Office, Lost, Mad Men, House of Cards, Game of Thrones, or Breaking Bad. I know they could make the Ghost rider inspired by the agents of shield. I would consider the Coulson and Lola something that's "tied in" because they are because Lego probably made it because and inspired by AoS. I would argue that the movie looks of characters are far more important because they are the characters that reinvigorated interest in Marvel and got people to buy more merchandise after watching the movies. I can compare two entertainment things that are both marvel comics from the same character and are both around the same time. Do you know how many people watch TV shows together? Or maybe on Netflix, which doesn't publicly release watch information? Or share it with friends? I remember seeing an advertisement on TV, and later videos on Youtube. The movies and TV shows are separate from the comics, they are even in different fictional universes, with the comics in Earth-616 and the MCU in Earth-199999. Marvel Studios and Marvel Comics are two different subsidiaries of Walt Disney Studios and Marvel Entertainment.

14 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

I get it if you prefer that look, I personally don't but I'm just pointing out that it's illogical to have expected them to go with a variant from a few years ago over the main look he's had since 2014. I would say that his appearance on the show definitely increased awareness of the character and created new fans who may have been interested enough to check out the comics and was likely part of the reason they made the set to begin with, on top of the Ghost Rider hulu series that was supposed to happen.

It's not illogical to expect them to make a sane-looking Ghost Rider, instead of the comic variant. I am not expecting it to be an AoS set, just inspired, like the prototype, hot rod, and blue steel iron man suits. I agree that his story arc in AoS introduced people to Robbie Reyes, and is what got people interested in Ghost Rider. AoS was likely part of the reason they made the set to begin with, on top of the canceled hulu series.

It’s not Marvel’s fault that Lego makes square enix sets instead of Insomniac sets (and don’t tell me it’s licensing because they clearly had the license to make SDCC figs). It’s not Marvel’s fault that we got stupid mechs again and again while Hasbro, Funko, Bandai, and basically everyone else were making Endgame wave 2. It’s not Marvel’s fault that Lego decides to treat Marvel as a kids-only theme and completely ignores the teen and adult fans. All I hope is for Lego to make characters and variants that we want. That’s all I hope for. 

Anyone been informed they won a copy of miles? Someone on Reddit posted they received notice yesterday afternoon.

51 minutes ago, KevinMD said:

Anyone been informed they won a copy of miles? Someone on Reddit posted they received notice yesterday afternoon.

Oh wow, lucky! Got a link?

Edit: Nevermind. Found it:

Edited by BrickHat

On 10/6/2020 at 11:38 AM, ToaDraco said:

You guys are crazy if you think Marvel isn't approving every set decision. Lego isn't Funko, they're targeting totally different demographics.