Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Build/content-wise, the helicopter is pretty good, and seems good value for the money. But boy, do I feel bad for the designers on Marvel Superheroes, especially the graphic designers. LEGO designers are passionate people who tend to want to give the fans the best, but it seems like the budget imposed for new prints is so tight. Sure, they got leg printing in this time, but the face is the heart of a character, and seeing those same faces reused again just stinks.

On the leg prints, does the cutoff knee-pad look bother anyone else? That style is so off-putting to me. LEGO used to actually design prints including kneepads that took the print limitations on legs into account. Now it seems they've been in denial for years, as if the designers say "we're going to draw a full knee-pad wherever we want gosh darn it!" while the printer says "LOL NOPE".

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

On the leg prints, does the cutoff knee-pad look bother anyone else? That style is so off-putting to me. LEGO used to actually design prints including kneepads that took the print limitations on legs into account. Now it seems they've been in denial for years, as if the designers say "we're going to draw a full knee-pad wherever we want gosh darn it!" while the printer says "LOL NOPE".

I think overall minifigures need to get more detailed as it's starting to feel like we're paying more money for less quality, at least when it comes to minifigures. Over the last few years misprints are becoming more common, a lot of figures are lacking in detail, a lot of pieces are reused while they're inaccurate and the abysmal light colored printing on dark colored pieces has been an issue for several years without it getting fixed.

8 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Build/content-wise, the helicopter is pretty good, and seems good value for the money. But boy, do I feel bad for the designers on Marvel Superheroes, especially the graphic designers. LEGO designers are passionate people who tend to want to give the fans the best, but it seems like the budget imposed for new prints is so tight. Sure, they got leg printing in this time, but the face is the heart of a character, and seeing those same faces reused again just stinks.

Completely agree with you on this. Hopefully we will get more quality in Marvel sets since it was one of top selling theme of 2019. But If we don’t I don’t know what will make LEGO allocate more budget to Marvel theme. I mean look at HP and JW which gets a ton of new prints a molds! And it’s also a licensed theme!

12 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

Completely agree with you on this. Hopefully we will get more quality in Marvel sets since it was one of top selling theme of 2019. But If we don’t I don’t know what will make LEGO allocate more budget to Marvel theme. I mean look at HP and JW which gets a ton of new prints a molds! And it’s also a licensed theme!

That most likely has to do with the licensing fee. I am in no way an insider but it wouldn't surprise me if Marvel, HP and JW have similair budgets but most of Marvel's budget goes to Disney for that fee. But as opposed to Star Wars, where they basically put that fee in the price of sets themselves, they just lower the final budget

6 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

That most likely has to do with the licensing fee. I am in no way an insider but it wouldn't surprise me if Marvel, HP and JW have similair budgets but most of Marvel's budget goes to Disney for that fee. But as opposed to Star Wars, where they basically put that fee in the price of sets themselves, they just lower the final budget

That's highly possible. Honestly, while Star Wars sets are ridiculously overpriced, I'd rather they deliver quality Marvel sets at a premium than have cheaper sets that are constantly disappointing.

Edited by ToaDraco

On 1/18/2020 at 7:33 AM, ReversibleSedgewick said:

I am now even more bewildered by the pricing of last year’s helicopter set. If the news is correct then it’s more or less twice what this set costs?

And this helicopter has a second rotor which isn’t a sticker. And it has a back half. This could almost be a price sensitivity consumer experiment at this point.

I suppose the answer could be “We have a Hulk”, but... 

I think this is a supply and demand type thing, at least for some of it. People in general have more demand for rescue and the stark gauntlet, so their set costs more. 

I do think this is a solid set though. All the figures are great (except for whatever's going on with taskmaster's weapons, but as someone said that's marvel's fault, not lego), and the helicopter is amazing. It looks realistic, like a completed helicopter, and definately worth the money, all three of which are VERY rare in a marvel set.

On 1/16/2020 at 1:15 AM, Lego-Freak said:

The picture quality of these leaks never fails to amuse me... Smartphones are becoming ubiquitous to the point of oversaturation and here we are with pictures still having the same quality as your run-of-the-mill bigfoot photo taken with a potato :head_back:

Its possible the person taking the photo is using a concealed mini camera (one that is really tiny and takes crappy photos). Or they are intentionally making it low-quality to make it harder to track down exactly where and how it was taken.

As for the hair on Black Widow, it might be that Marvel (as the license holder) has specified that particular color for some reason rather than the more accurate red color. Or maybe LEGO didn't have the piece budget for the set to recolor the hair dark red. Same with the dark blue hood, its out-of-production (or seems to be) and maybe they didn't have the parts budget to bring it back in dark blue (whereas black is an active color for the part)

2 hours ago, jonwil said:

Its possible the person taking the photo is using a concealed mini camera (one that is really tiny and takes crappy photos). Or they are intentionally making it low-quality to make it harder to track down exactly where and how it was taken.

As for the hair on Black Widow, it might be that Marvel (as the license holder) has specified that particular color for some reason rather than the more accurate red color. Or maybe LEGO didn't have the piece budget for the set to recolor the hair dark red. Same with the dark blue hood, its out-of-production (or seems to be) and maybe they didn't have the parts budget to bring it back in dark blue (whereas black is an active color for the part)

The dark blue hood comes in the Clone Trooper and Jedi battlepack, which only ended production in late-august 2019 so the piece was still in production when they were designing this set

Does anyone know if there will be some new Iron Man costumes in future?

I had the imprudence to start collecting them in 2012 and now just begging Lego to stop issuing them))

Edited by Jefry Been

2 minutes ago, mgetz said:

Any chance we get a Marvel minifigures series? if no why not

It's a weird situation. One company (I think it's Hasbro) has the rights to sell single figures based on Marvel characters (and also Star Wars). I don't really know how to explain this, but the answer is no, we won't get a Marvel or Star Wars CMF series in near future.

1 hour ago, Jefry Been said:

Does anyone know if there will be some new Iron Man costumes in future?

I had the imprudence to start collecting them in 2012 and now just begging Lego to stop issuing them))

Venomized Iron Man is coming soon (the minifigure leaked a while ago).

16 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Is that coming in the $30 Spider-Man and Venom set?

38 minutes ago, HarryVader said:

Is that coming in the $30 Spider-Man and Venom set?

rumored to be a GWP 

Now that the X-Men rights are in Disney's hands, does anyone have any ideas on when we could start seeing new X-Men sets?

15 minutes ago, Hythonia said:

Now that the X-Men rights are in Disney's hands, does anyone have any ideas on when we could start seeing new X-Men sets?

Whenever Disney decide they have a game plan for introducing the X-Men across media and merchandise. A new cartoon is probably more likely before their MCU debut, to get kids excited for all these "new" characters, and Lego sets will hopefully be a part of that (like previous sets based on the Avengers Assemble cartoon). Lego sets usually take a few years from concept to shelf, so I would guess 2021 at the very earliest.

Just now, Felkin said:

Whenever Disney decide they have a game plan for introducing the X-Men across media and merchandise. A new cartoon is probably more likely before their MCU debut, to get kids excited for all these "new" characters, and Lego sets will hopefully be a part of that (like previous sets based on the Avengers Assemble cartoon). Lego sets usually take a few years from concept to shelf, so I would guess 2021 at the very earliest.

With all the MCU content coming in the next few years and lego's desire to use that hype it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see the X-Men untill their MCU introduction

2 hours ago, 0937Bricks said:

My guess would be as an animated/comic set. Movies won't be coming out for some time, so hopefully sooner than that.

Well, we'd have to have an x-men animated series coming out for that, so it might be awhile.

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

With all the MCU content coming in the next few years and lego's desire to use that hype it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see the X-Men untill their MCU introduction

This is the most likely scenario, I think.

21 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

It's a weird situation. One company (I think it's Hasbro) has the rights to sell single figures based on Marvel characters (and also Star Wars). I don't really know how to explain this, but the answer is no, we won't get a Marvel or Star Wars CMF series in near future.

Found picture in the enternet. Not able to post because "leaks is not allowed here" :)

So, If it is true - oh my, it is an awful minifigure( 

Edited by Jefry Been
leaks is not allowed here

76165 Iron Man Bust: Price for Germany 59,99 €, release in May, like the new Architecture White House it has the description for ages "18+" (Source: Zusammengebaut at Nuremberg Toy Fair)

1 hour ago, Jefry Been said:

Found this one. If it is true - oh my, it is awful(

Posting pictures of leaks is not allowed here

Just now, Metanoios91 said:

76165 Iron Man Bust: Price for Germany 59,99 €, release in May, like the new Architecture White House it has the description for ages "18+" (Source: Zusammengebaut at Nuremberg Toy Fair)

It's probably just the helmet just like with the Star Wars "busts"

This bust sounds like a cool idea! I figured we might get something like it based on the Star Wars busts from last year and the new ones this year. Is it safe to assume this is the Zebra product? It doesn’t sound like it. It’s interesting that this set is 18+, too.