Captain Nemo

DC Superheroes 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

I know LEGO won’t make Snyder Cut sets, but wouldn’t it be fun to get a big-fig or brick-built Spikes Steppenwolf? The pain to hold him will be comparable to that of stepping on LEGO bricks :laugh_hard:

Edited by HarryVader

6 minutes ago, HarryVader said:

I know LEGO won’t make Snyder Cut sets, but wouldn’t it be fun to get a big-fig or brick-built Spikes Steppenwolf? The pain to hold him will be comparable to that of stepping on LEGO bricks :laugh_hard:

Around half of the set’s parts would be taken up just by his spikes :laugh_hard: It’s as if a CG artist went “Hey Zack, how many spikes do you want on this guy?” “YES

And to think people made fun of the theatrical version...

3 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

To be honest, it’s better than the theatrical version, but he still looks hilariously bizarre. I saw a comment online that said he looks like Thanos stole Megatron’s armor :laugh_hard:

Edited by HarryVader

8 minutes ago, BrickHat said:

he looks like a low-budget ripoff of Thanos (yes, I am aware of the irony here). 

If I understood you correctly, Thanos (comics) was inspired by Darkseid, not Steppenwolf. But it doesn’t make a difference as Snyder Cut Darkseid looks even worse haha

Edited by HarryVader

1 hour ago, HarryVader said:

If I understood you correctly, Thanos (comics) was inspired by Darkseid, not Steppenwolf. But it doesn’t make a difference as Snyder Cut Darkseid looks even worse haha

Oh yes, right, I thought you guys were talking about him. Hilarious-looking either way! :laugh:

7 hours ago, HarryVader said:

I saw a comment online that said he looks like Thanos stole Megatron’s armor :laugh_hard:

Nah, he looks like a Halo grunt who stole Megatron’s entire cutlery and fused it to his armour :laugh_hard:

7 hours ago, HarryVader said:

But it doesn’t make a difference as Snyder Cut Darkseid looks even worse haha

Agreed. Why are his collar bones shaped like his signature omega? :snicker: Subtlety has never been Snyder’s strength, but now he’s just on steroids. I sincerely hope he won’t use this “cut” as a means to crawl his way back into the DCEU, it’s been far better off without him tbh

9 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Around half of the set’s parts would be taken up just by his spikes :laugh_hard: It’s as if a CG artist went “Hey Zack, how many spikes do you want on this guy?” “YES

Regardless of what version of DCEU Steppenwolf we're talking about both don't look good imo. But I do find this hilarious: 

Screenshot_1.png

Hello all new member here. This is my first post regarding my favorite theme so I’ll try and be concise in both my admiration and criticism of this years releases. 

The mini figures series was alright but when compared to an also 5 dollars series, Series 19, I feel this series could have included more in the ways of accessories to justify the price point. I’m admittedly not familiar with economics or business strategies to understand the price hike but I reason they probably could have given both Simon Bazz  and Sinestro those flaming flying pieces Captain Marvel and War Machine have but in green and yellow respectively. Or maybe even more new molds? Is it radical to imply that Huntress could have been given a new mold? The figure choices were adequate but with only half the cast being new members and the other half being pre existing variants I reason it was more to have some familiarity among children to ensure the series would sell? In a perfect world we could have really obscure characters in series like these but I notice Lego is very hesitant to delve into the character roster DC has to offer.

The new Bat-cave was actually refreshing and I appreciated the Clay-Face build and new Catwoman figures. The new two face was fun too but would it kill them to print the accurate boots onto Batwoman? I also think lowering the belt printing onto the torso hip for some of these figures could still look good, I don’t think it all needs to be printed on the torso, plenty of star wars figures get torso hip printing so I would like to see some of that here too. Like would anyone be against seeing Superman’s belt line printing go into his hip piece? I think it’d look cool. Plus not just dual molded legs but actually printing the bat shape onto the top of Batwoman’s boots. Again, the high quality of print that Lego has given in other themes and other figures before I think would greatly increase the quality of this theme. 

And building on that, the most disappointing set for me this year was the Mobile Base, I absolutely hate the redundant character choices the company uses for both Superhero themes. On a free wave with no movie release, we should be excited about the new characters the sets will bring since it doesn’t have to adhere to the limitations of a movie and we have the opportunity for comic based sets. Unfortunately the reality of the theme is the recycling of Batman and a select few of his rogues. And the variants of his rogue gallery have progressively gotten worse too. With the Mobile Base, our only new character was Bronze tiger. And ofc Lego does not give us the Helmeted version of the character or the all yellow outfit that would have required torso and leg printing but would have looked amazing if done right. They give us a look that not only requires no leg printing but no hair piece either. It’s lazy and I feel the company could do more. I think the company is underestimating the youths familiarity with characters and the desires in a toy. Batgirl could have done with leg printing and I am so sick of this hair piece being used on every girl character in this theme. Plenty of pieces would gave worked and maybe even made the figure more interesting. The freeze figure I think is the worst we’ve ever had I’m genuinely surprised with all the molds they already had for him why they’d go for something that shrinks his head and simplifies the character.

oops this post is becoming too long because I don’t want to spam this page. 

I’ll hold my comments for now but i do anticipate commenting later because I have a lot to say on Lego and the arguments made that these sets are simple and basic to appeal to kids because I have my youthful mind in clear memory and boy oh boy did I have higher standards than this haha. 

edit accidentally reported my post by clicking the report icon but I think I clicked cancel on time? If a mod see’s that I reported my own comment this is me saying that was a mistake but it may not have gone through.

Edited by cosmic
Grammar mistake

@cosmic welcome to the forum. I feel that your views are similar to many DC fans. Cost has a lot to do with the direction of the theme, but where other limitations come from is unclear. We’ve definitely had the best years of the theme, but I don’t write it off as there’s clearly still some love for it out there. 
The CMF was and is a very good series, bulking out a couple of teams whilst giving a nod to the legacy. The power blasts come in packs rather than as individual pieces, and granted Sinestro would benefit from them, but they consequently wouldn’t be put into blind bags. Additionally the yearning for a significant Lantern set has been around for a long time. Huntress would have benefited more from a hairpiece similar to Batwoman’s, but I reckon that would have stretched the budget.

I think the belt printing idea is good but there will be reasons why they don’t. Ditto leg prints, it’s not that long ago that we would have had it, but when Batman doesn’t have a great track record himself it’s unlikely that Batwoman would get them.

I have yet to pick up the Mobile Bat Base but I will be happy when I do. Batgirl’s is one of her most recent iterations and has very small ears poking out of her hair. Bronze Tiger is also one of his most recent looks, and as such is a pretty good match. Personally for me I would rather see a physical appearance of the claws from the games, as the mask is available on the secondary market. Regarding Freeze, I use a combination of the three previous versions anyway, and the current one is definitely an improvement on the very first one.

I understand your frustrations, and it’s the reason why I’m in the process of designing a Blackhawk Skyrocket, to be followed up with a S.T.R.I.P.E. suit and a Starro. I have a list the length of my arm of other builds, but time and budget are many an AfoL’s kryptonite.

Edited by RedHoodPug

On 11/19/2020 at 11:59 AM, RedHoodPug said:

@cosmic welcome to the forum. I feel that your views are similar to many DC fans. Cost has a lot to do with the direction of the theme, but where other limitations come from is unclear. We’ve definitely had the best years of the theme, but I don’t write it off as there’s clearly still some love for it out there. 
The CMF was and is a very good series, bulking out a couple of teams whilst giving a nod to the legacy. The power blasts come in packs rather than as individual pieces, and granted Sinestro would benefit from them, but they consequently wouldn’t be put into blind bags. Additionally the yearning for a significant Lantern set has been around for a long time. Huntress would have benefited more from a hairpiece similar to Batwoman’s, but I reckon that would have stretched the budget.

I think the belt printing idea is good but there will be reasons why they don’t. Ditto leg prints, it’s not that long ago that we would have had it, but when Batman doesn’t have a great track record himself it’s unlikely that Batwoman would get them.

I have yet to pick up the Mobile Bat Base but I will be happy when I do. Batgirl’s is one of her most recent iterations and has very small ears poking out of her hair. Bronze Tiger is also one of his most recent looks, and as such is a pretty good match. Personally for me I would rather see a physical appearance of the claws from the games, as the mask is available on the secondary market. Regarding Freeze, I use a combination of the three previous versions anyway, and the current one is definitely an improvement on the very first one.

I understand your frustrations, and it’s the reason why I’m in the process of designing a Blackhawk Skyrocket, to be followed up with a S.T.R.I.P.E. suit and a Starro. I have a list the length of my arm of other builds, but time and budget are many an AfoL’s kryptonite.

So what exactly is affecting the cost? I understand very little in the way of economics is it inflation or global economics or what? Why is it that it feels we lay more for less parts? For example the new avengers tower (juniors) is $60 and I feel very comfortable saying thats overpriced compared to the size of a $60 set from 2011. How much truth is there to the statement that Lego is charging more for less pieces? Am I making this up in my head? The new Iron Man hall of armor addition is $40 for example and I feel like I remember a time where a set that small would be no more than $25. Whats making Lego charge more for less and is that even an accurate statement? Am I the only one who feels like we get less pieces in Lego sets? Forgive me if this came across as dumb i just really want to know why I’m making the observation that I’m paying more for smaller sets

48 minutes ago, cosmic said:

So what exactly is affecting the cost? I understand very little in the way of economics is it inflation or global economics or what? Why is it that it feels we lay more for less parts? For example the new avengers tower (juniors) is $60 and I feel very comfortable saying thats overpriced compared to the size of a $60 set from 2011. How much truth is there to the statement that Lego is charging more for less pieces? Am I making this up in my head? The new Iron Man hall of armor addition is $40 for example and I feel like I remember a time where a set that small would be no more than $25. Whats making Lego charge more for less and is that even an accurate statement? Am I the only one who feels like we get less pieces in Lego sets? Forgive me if this came across as dumb i just really want to know why I’m making the observation that I’m paying more for smaller sets

Each Lego theme has its own budget, and things like dual molding and new molds and prints cost more to produce. Larger and more complex pieces also cost more than smaller and simpler ones. Because of this, while price per piece is a good starting point, it's not necessarily a perfect measure of a set's value. For example, in the Marvel set you mentioned, Hulk is a bigfig with new printing (and I believe a dual-molded piece), which is at least partially the reason for why it's so expensive - though I do agree with you that it feels overpriced anyway, comparing with other Marvel sets this year it should be around $30 by price per piece alone.

52 minutes ago, cosmic said:

I'm no economics expert but I'll do my best to explain some of this as well as I can. 

Inflation is a very important thing to take in mind when it comes to comparing prices from sets released in different years. To follow your own example, a set that cost $60 in 2011 would cost roughly $70 in 2020 due to inflation alone. For the set in question (the 4+ Avengers tower) there are a couple more factors to take in mind:
- It's a 4+/Juniors set and is therefore designed to be easy to assemble my small children. Because of this 4+/Juniors sets generally use a lot of large pieces and receives printed parts instead of stickers. Of course a big panel or window piece costs a lot more to produce than a simple 1x1 plate, which drives up the price of the set. Then there's also the printed parts which are more expensive to produce than the same exact parts but with stickers. All of this is done to make the build experience for young builders easier but it does raise the price a fair amount. 
- Big pieces cost more than small pieces and the same goes for minifigures. This set contains a bigfig (Hulk), which also raises the price of the set.
- Last but certainly not least there's also the licensing fee to take in mind. Something like Ninjago sets are generally less expensive because it's an in-house theme and LEGO owns the rights to it. When LEGO makes licensed sets (like Marvel, Star Wars, Harry Potter etc) they have to pay the license-owner a fee, which also gets calculated into the price. 

All of this still doesn't really justify the $60 pricetag on that set but most of this generally applies to all sets. Every set is different and there are a lot of factors that will eventually decide the price of a set, sometimes that price ends up being pretty good and other times it'll end up being way more than most customers are willing to pay. 

English isn't my primary language so some of my sentences might end up being quite messy when I've written a longer explanation but I hope this makes sense to you.

Thanks for the replies. A general anxiety I have about specifically the Superheroes theme, but in general when I see such overpriced sets with minimal builds, is how much we will be made to pay for large substantial builds. I will reiterate a previous sentiment that I wish they would raise the age for this theme. Harry Potter is understood to have more complex sets bc of the older age group its targeting correct? I really wish Lego treated this property the way they treated Harry Potter. Part of the blame is on Warner Bros. As a kid in the early 2000s we had a Legion of Superheroes cartoon, a Justice League Unlimited cartoon, Static Shock and re runs of all the older cartoons. Not to mention the early to mid 2000’s was a peak for DC animation movie wise. We had a lot more exposure to DC characters. If DC produced more cartoons for cartoon Network and expanded their audience to a newer generation of kids then maybe Lego could have more incentive to sell obscure characters in their sets. I think Lego thinks only Batman will sell bc without any other superhero in contact of todays kids, they fear DC doesn’t have the same kind of brand familiarity to carry itself? But even still I will give some criticism because Lego, if you are reading this, I was never as excited about a theme as I was about the release of this one, and somehow I have become depressed with the outlook for this theme. Please consider taking notes from the fans because Lego I would pay an arm and a leg for this license if it was handled correctly. 

1. Produce more sets. This theme has consistently felt under produced especially when compared to the Marvel theme for me. Without the Lego movie and the Lego Batman movies and polybags and book promos we wouldn’t have most pf the extended cast we have now. Jessica Cruz, Plastic Man, polybags. Hawkgirl, Black Canary, the Wonder Twins -> TLBM. John Stewart was released in a book. You get the idea, a good share of DC’s extended cast has not been released via a normal DC set. The regular DC line has not drifted from Batman for years but even within his own realm he has untapped potential and the company was rehashing concepts year after year. I was a relatively poor kid growing up and I still had opportunity to request a toy from time to time. If I was in a wealthy household I would definitely have collected Lego every year through my upbringing. Lets say I was a kid in 2012. Age 5. By now I would only be 13 and by geeky nerdy self would definitely still be collecting. If I reviewed the content of this theme over the course of those years, I would have a lot of sets and even waves that I would skip bc I simply had the characters in that wave already and hd no interest in the builds. Often times I would already have the build as well. If Lego produces few sets for this theme can they at least focus on newer characters? The ventriloquist, Solomon Grundy, Baby Doll, Joker Gang and really unique Joker goon figures, Bat-wing, Batman Beyond, Cassandra Cain, Spoiler, Anarchy, Lady Shiva, League of Assasins. Do little kids really only enjoy vehicles? Again I remember being a kid and wanting both structures and playsets out of Lego just as much as I desired a vehicle. If anything I personally always drew myself to playsets and structures. From a young age I always wanted houses and banks for my city as well as temples and castles for my fantasy builds.  I don’t know how true it is that little kids don’t want Hall of Justices or Secret lairs or Titans Towers but I most certainly would freak out in pure joy if I was a 10 year old kid being gifted a $200 Titans Tower D2C with plenty of new figures. I don’t think I would be that excited about oversized models of vehicles used in DC movies decades ago. So for me personally the pure focus on Batman and his vehicles would have disappointed  me at any age. I would be sad to find out little kids these days really have no interest in the DC brand. Regardless focusing the character roster in the waves they do release to feature a mostly new cast with the same characters at least having detailed new variants, it could help spice ip the theme. And again if DC had more cartoons on air that were more mature (Teen Titans Go and DC superhero girls are super immature to me and wouldn’t  intrigue me to get to know the DC brand at all. Even Justice League Action wasn’t up to par for me. To simplify this point give us lore DC content but if you’re going to give us a little change up what we get. Always getting the same cast even with different variants loses you costumers. I’ve skipped so many sets for this reason. I want this theme to empty my pockets!!

2. Diversify the theme. Similar to my last suggestion of increasing the overall volume of sets we receive, I actually started to make this poi t without realizing It should be it’s own thing. Examples of this include giving us waves with mostly new figures, not just waves where there’s only a few. New characters to be specific. If we only get 3 sets every villain and some of the heroes should be new. A wave with only one new set should be all new figures otherwise you alienate your base. I am your bass Lego and I feel alienated! I would pay all my money for this theme if it produced plentiful of new and fresh sets. A Teen Titans wave wouldn’t sell? Kids don’t want a wave of sets focused on them? I couldn’t imagine that, it would be a fever dream for me as a kid. Same with the Legion of Doom, Metal Men, Legion of Superheroes, Doom Patrol. Seeing these teams in sets would excite me! If Lego expanded its roster of characters even a little I would be more motivated to pickup sets. But in diversifying the theme it also diversifying the builds. I also somewhat covered this before but sets with structures, bases, hideouts, lairs, even housing complexes or buildings like lex corp or star labs. Or sets based around giant characters like Giganta or Trigon. DC’s lack of visibility is again a recurring reason for why we don’t receive much content but again it’d be nice if Lego made some sort of effort to give us non Batman centric characters.

3. Raise the recommended age for this theme and target young comic book readers. The comic book and nerd market may be suffering under covid and may not be as huge as I’m envisioning it to be but I think young adults would certainly buy complex DC builds in the way they currently buy Harry potter builds. I would hope so at least. The same way Lego has a modular buildings theme it’d be nice to see a Lego DC Buildings subtheme. Like an annual set dedicated  to this subtheme would be enough. Like roughly 100-150 dollars for a standard set. Wayne Tower and Lexcorp come to mind. But even a modular series of Arkham with an attachment released every year or so to make a huge fully modular Arkham. Same with Wayne Mansion. This theme has so many structures that have the potential to be some of the best playsets. 

I predict some will complain about me complaining about the theme. But I hope most of you will encourage open messages to the Lego group because one way or another I want them to get the message. They could do better with this theme and we saw that with how awesome Cloud City was for Star Wars and how impressive the Overwatch second wave was and all the additions the the Harry Potter theme. Lego can and has produced high quality sets for some lucrative themes and if they did that with DC I would be one very happy camper. Give us more, change up what you give us and throw some apples at the older audience of this theme. The direction of Batman and vehicles has bored me. He still has villains we haven‘t seen, there are still parts of Gotham we haven’t seen (D2C $300 JokerLand set, anyone?). Make the theme more mature and please stop with pointless sets like these new superhero mechs. A cool gimmick would be battle packs for DC like how Star Wars has battle packs. Hive battle pack or a Parademon battle pack. Assuming people only want Batmobiles and Batwings and and characters with no detailed print is wrong. I think some of us want the opposite. At least I do. A wave of 6-7 sets with highly detailed minifigures with mostly new additions and the pre existing characters having new variants and the sets being detailed structures relevant to the source material not pointless vehicles is what I want. Focus on characters outside of what we usually get with big detailed builds and good print quality is what I want. Please Lego don’t let this license drop  to a competitor you have the potential to do wonders with this theme. That is all for now but I feel strongly about this.

I was excited by the notion of a TwoFace movie but considering the source is We Got This Covered, it saddens me very much so to say this, it isn’t happening. WGTC is fake news galore and I’m surprised people still read their articles.

8 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

I was excited by the notion of a TwoFace movie but considering the source is We Got This Covered, it saddens me very much so to say this, it isn’t happening. WGTC is fake news galore and I’m surprised people still read their articles.

It's pretty simple. People just read what they want to read so in a sad effort to reel those kinds of people in We Got This Covered keeps spitting out fake content. The weird thing is that WGTC is still considered by some to be a reputable source, even though it never was one in the first place. Every single correct scoop they've had over the years was copied of of another website :laugh_hard:

3 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

It's pretty simple. People just read what they want to read so in a sad effort to reel those kinds of people in We Got This Covered keeps spitting out fake content. The weird thing is that WGTC is still considered by some to be a reputable source, even though it never was one in the first place. Every single correct scoop they've had over the years was copied of of another website :laugh_hard:

That doesn’t surprise me in the slightest :hmpf_bad:

20 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

Yeah, they are pretty much a useless source. They've even been banned from r/marvelstudios, I think.

5 hours ago, BrickHat said:

Yeah, they are pretty much a useless source. They've even been banned from r/marvelstudios, I think.

That’s a good start I guess :sceptic:

On 11/23/2020 at 6:49 PM, Anonknee Muss said:

Who posted about two face movie lego sets? Was it one of the walls of text further up?

11 hours ago, KevinMD said:

Who posted about two face movie lego sets? Was it one of the walls of text further up?

Definitely on page 72, it must have been one of the walls of text.

7 minutes ago, Anonknee Muss said:

2 new SH set numbers have popped up. Potentially non-Juniors DC sets. One is priced at $30 USD and the other at $40 USD. Any thoughts?

Falconfan thinks they’re Marvel sets though, so we probably shouldn’t get our hopes up :tongue: I foresee a big, gaping, ‘The Batman’-shaped hole in next year’s DC slate :snicker: