Captain Nemo

DC Superheroes 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

4 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

People don't get the fact that there's back of the box. This box art looks stunning AND is MUCH better for display. Normal boxes don't look amazing when displaying the sets with them. This one will look stunning when displayed with the set. And if you want to see the content, you just turn around the box. Not that hard.

A random parent picking up a set for a kid wouldn't want to turn around 50 boxes in search for ''the box with the blue helicopter and that specific figure''. The WW84 boxart looks fantastic, I can agree with that, but it's not practical at all

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

A random parent picking up a set for a kid wouldn't want to turn around 50 boxes in search for ''the box with the blue helicopter and that specific figure''. The WW84 boxart looks fantastic, I can agree with that, but it's not practical at all

While it's undoubtedly less practical than a classic box, people would adapt to those boxes. If a kid wants a specific set, then: A) Parent searches for the set on the internet, finds the box art for this specific set and that's all. B) Kid tells from what theme the set is and how big it is, parent goes to store and looks for the set from specific theme area, it's not that hard. 

I mean to a certain extent, this might make it easier for parents to figure it out. If a kid says, 'I want the Wonder Woman set', then the giant picture of Wonder Woman on the front of the box will help.

Just now, strangely said:

I mean to a certain extent, this might make it easier for parents to figure it out. If a kid says, 'I want the Wonder Woman set', then the giant picture of Wonder Woman on the front of the box will help.

This.

Something this eye-catching will always have your attention, and it's actually easier for a parent. For example Jurassic World - "Mom I want a set with a T-Rex" - boom, you've got a giant T-Rex on the box art. "Dad I want a set with Iron Man" - boom, a giant Iron Man on the box. "Mom I want a set with green ninja" - boom, giant Lloyd on the box art.

4 hours ago, Nabii said:

To end the speculation, can confirm the solar panels on WW84 are printed.

(I designed this one.)

You sir are a star. It looks excellent.

22 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

This.

Something this eye-catching will always have your attention, and it's actually easier for a parent. For example Jurassic World - "Mom I want a set with a T-Rex" - boom, you've got a giant T-Rex on the box art. "Dad I want a set with Iron Man" - boom, a giant Iron Man on the box. "Mom I want a set with green ninja" - boom, giant Lloyd on the box art.

But which of the 100 Iron Man sets would it be :tongue:

Jokes aside: I love the boxart, it looks fanastic. But I personally just prefer the standard boxart with the front showing off the model and the back showing off the features

I do find it funny how the majority of the DC sets released over the last few years were rather lackluster but Mark Stafford designs one set and immediately knocks it out of the park

That's a very nice boxart. It looks like a collector's item. It is also good that the other side has the set itself. I think it works because it's the only WW84 set.

Also, did you see how much Cheetah minifig looks like Kristen Wiig? Her smile is spot-on.

On the subject of the box art, I wanted to say two things.

One, I would assume LEGO, as a multibillion dollar company, they have a top-flight marketing department who researches these things.  What's working, what isn't, etc.  So if this sort of thing ends up affecting sales or completely flopping, I would guess that they won't keep doing anything like this.

Two, I don't really see this carrying over to many other themes, especially ones geared towards kids.  No way would they do this for City or Ninjago where it would be important for a kid to actually see what they're buying.  Hidden Side I feel is an exception because it's trying to show that there's the AR component, but I also really dislike those boxes because there's an entire wave of 6-8 sets that you basically can't see.  In this case, just being one set, so it's less confusing as a consumer.  

I do think it looks good, and it really reminds me of a SDCC-type exclusive.

Just now, Kit Figsto said:

Two, I don't really see this carrying over to many other themes, especially ones geared towards kids. 

You do realise 90% of LEGO's products are geared towards kids right?

59 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

You do realise 90% of LEGO's products are geared towards kids right?

Of course, I phrased that poorly.  This set is one that I see more geared towards collectors, for a few reasons.  First off, it isn't a set packed with action features or tons of playability in the same way some other sets are.  Second, I think the film is one that they're marketing a lot on the appeal to nostalgia, people who grew up in the 80s, making this set possibly more appealing to an adult. 

When I say geared towards kids, I mean pretty much everything (with the exception of Hidden Side, for the reasons I listed in my post above) that they put out, but I see this as more of a collector's piece.  It may have appeal to kids, but I think most kids would prefer something with more play features or that they can swoosh around if they're going to buy a $40 set.

9 hours ago, Yochip said:

Someone listed the set on eBay. The back of the box does indeed show the set with some nice graphics, pretty basic stuff.

Item number?

Boy oh boy I wish that Maxwell even had remotely similar hair color. I wonder if it was because it was a late change in concept art?

45 minutes ago, doclord said:

Boy oh boy I wish that Maxwell even had remotely similar hair color. I wonder if it was because it was a late change in concept art?

I wish a lot of things were different about Max:laugh:

The golden tiles will be great for dwarfen halls... with golden roof and silver floor and runes of power upon the door :wub: gonna be a long evening until Durin's Song is out of my head :laugh:

Jokes aside: i love the wonder woman set. While i don't have any interest in wonder woman  the helmet is gorgeous and the white hair is a great piece for a Witcher. I would have never expected a super hero set to be so usefull for fantasy projects :wub:

Edited by Gorilla94

2 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

The golden tiles will be great for dwarfen halls... with golden roof and silver floor and runes of power upon the door :wub: gonna be a long evening until Durin's Song is out of my head :laugh:

They are road signs, not tiles

12 hours ago, Nabii said:

To end the speculation, can confirm the solar panels on WW84 are printed.

(I designed this one.)

Well done fella. It's my first insta-purchase in ages.

59 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

They are road signs, not tiles

Oh... than i got that wrong. thank you :) that´s even better for the project i have in mind :D

I don't think a single June set would have official pictures revealed this early and already be in stores. We don't even have images for all the other sets. I think it's basically a confirmation of this being a May set.

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I don't think a single June set would have official pictures revealed this early and already be in stores. We don't even have images for all the other sets. I think it's basically a confirmation of this being a May set.

Literally every single news outlet out there has confirmed this set has a june release, how much proof do you want? Also, do take into consideration that most stores in the US, unlike those in the EU, don't give a crap about releasedates

Is it just me or does WW's new hair/helmet piece look really weird from the sides?

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Literally every single news outlet out there has confirmed this set has a june release, how much proof do you want? Also, do take into consideration that most stores in the US, unlike those in the EU, don't give a crap about releasedates

Is it just me or does WW's new hair/helmet piece look really weird from the sides?

Promobricks.de: "To our knowledge, the Wonder Woman set should be available a few weeks earlier at LEGO (from April 27th). We do not know whether it will stay at this date (the film has already been postponed)."(promobricks.de)

Stonewars.de: "The set is scheduled for release in June 2020 [...]"

Geekculture.com: "Unfortunately, availability for the LEGO set has yet to be announced."

Brothers-brick.com: "[...] availability is unknown at this time."

I also found only 2 retailers which have a release date for this set - both of them is May 2nd (molemole.com and livro.pl).

So the only site that actually says it's June is stonewars. Spanish Amazon (which leaked the set) also didn't have the release date for this set. So which "every single news outlet" are you referring to? Sets aren't available in stores two months prior to its release dates. A month for sure, but not two months.

9 hours ago, SpiderJazz said:

Enjoy folks! 

Good to see the tiles are printed. This is really a cool set, lots of tan pieces. Also, the TV stickers match the first released image of WW84, a while ago.

3 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Yeah, actually. The hair almost does a 90 degree angle because of the wings. But I still think it is a good figure.

I like the WW 1984 Box, as it looks like a Comic-Con box, but I do think they should make more boxes like this, as long as they keep the more special boxes like this as LEGO store and LEGO.com exclusives.

Now, as for LEGO DC Superheroes 2020. I'm nervous, as we haven't heard anything for the summer, and if there were sets coming out, we would have heard rumors by now. I will say that maybe the DC theme is slowly dying. Maybe this is a sign that this theme will be ending soon. I remember seeing LEGO DC sets on the shelf at Walmart, but now, other than the CMF series (which my Walmart doesn't have anymore), and that could be a sign of things to come. Here's what I would do: Make DC sets until 2022. That way, the theme lasts 10 years, so the last year can be remakes of the first year of sets and maybe they include a special figure (like LEGO Star Wars did in 2019 for their 20th). With them only having a few years left if they do this, they could look at their back catalog and/or ask the fans what they would like to see/what figures are missing, like classic Kyle Rayner Green Lantern. How they could do that is release people packs for LEGO DC, like what they do for City, and in 2022, release the sets from 2012 along with the new sets listed below, and if they do this, the theme could go out with a bang.

War of the Lanterns: $120: Details: Figures from all the Lantern corps with lots of trans-clear pieces and a nice build. Figures: Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), Green Lantern (John Stewart), Green Lantern (Guy Gardner, Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz), Atrocitus, Sinestro, Black Hand, Star Sapphire (Carol Ferris), Indigo-1, Larfleeze,  Kilowog, Batman (Green Lantern, Flash (Blue Lantern), Saint Walker, and the Guardians of the Universe

Batfamily Unite: $50: Details: The Batfamily fighting a few supervillains. There would be a small bat-vehicle build. Minifigures: Batman, Robin, Nightwing, Red Hood, Red Robin (classic, with full cowl that goes over the head), Batgirl, Batwoman, Riddler, Joker, Two-Face, and Clayface (minifigure)

Bat-Train: $150: Details: The Bat-Train featured in Batman #95 in October 1955. Minifigures: Batman, Robin, and Alfred Pennyworth

Justice League: The Final Battle: $80 Details: A big battle with lots of Justice League members against a few supervillains. There would also be a few small builds. Figures: Superman, Batman Beyond, Wonder Woman, Flash, Batman, Green Arrow, Cyborg, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern (Hal Jordon), Darkseid, Aquaman (New 52), Robin (Tim Drake), Bizarro (the one featured in Justice League vs Bizarro League), Doomsday, Bane, Brainiac, and Clayface (a built version bigger than the LEGO Batman Movie version)