Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Christ, its a toy, for kids, with a small lego car that is blue like the real version, with a white roof like the real version, a grill that represents whatever shark-like mouth, the real version has, has 4 wheels like the real version, has the blocky shape to it and looks essentially like a ford anglia to a degree that is suitable enough to represent one in a small set aimed at kids. For the size it is, it's perfectly good enough.
It's a damned grill. If you want perfection, get a damned 1:8th scale replica model of it. It's like star wars arm printing whining all over again....
People bitching about something as petty as the shaping of a grill for god sake. If they did the grill, you'd all be complaining about the lack of indicator lights in the grill. If they somehow managed to squeeze them in, you'd end up complaining it doesn't have windscreen wipers or door handles, or a key lock, or some other crap.

If it was a UCS type set or Creator type set, I could understand. But it's a friggin system set.
The level of pickiness on a system scale set is ridiculous.

Edited by Fuppylodders

Yeah I'm all for accuracy but this is ridiculous. If it was a large $200 set aimed at adults I would completely understand the criticism but it isn't. It's a side build in a $70 set aimed at kids as young as 8. It doesn't have every single element of the real car but it's very obviously the flying car from Harry Potter. It's completely excusable that not every single detail is included. I think the figures not being able to sit next to each other is a far more important feature that actually affects how kids can play with toy. 

It would be nice to see new parts for the grille and for the back window (and even windows for the other sides of the car) but there are plenty of other new parts they could introduce to the HP line that would be far more exciting and useful. If you're looking for a completely screen accurate representation of the car I would recommend just buying a model car or waiting for the inevitable large scale 18+ LEGO set. 

On 12/14/2020 at 9:43 AM, Seaber said:

The Grand Staircase Tower I would suggest is an exception. The Great Hall looks good but the GS Tower in that set is too small, very little interior and has no Headmaster's Tower. A re-release of that would be fine IMO. 

I'd also personally like a better Greenhouse too, but as the last one only came out this year and next year has the Herbology Classroom set, I'm not expecting an update. 

Nothing else needs an update though, and I reckon there are plenty of main castle buildings to see us through 2021 and at least two more years without repeats. 

I would like them to make Griffyndor Tower. 

Just now, Chocolate Frog said:

I would like them to make Griffyndor Tower. 

They've already included the Gryffindor dormitory in the Whomping Willow set, if you can consider two beds with red covers a dormitory which I know a lot of people won't, but Lego obviously is for now. So I don't think we'll get a detailed Gryffindor Tower anytime soon sadly. But I do think the Common Room would work really well as one of the new book sets if nothing else.

On 12/14/2020 at 3:34 AM, Guyon2002 said:

That's why I want future Hogwarts sections (apart from maybe the Belltowers and Boathouse) to focus on the interior and have the exterior just look like a random piece of castle, not a specific section of Hogwarts :wink:

Much like they did with Helms Deep & the additional wall set. Just something more substantial in the case of Hogwarts. 

I’m also not a huge fan of the MoBM. It’s a nice set & all but there’s nothing really exciting about it to me. I’m sure I’ll end up getting it sometime though. 

On 12/14/2020 at 12:50 PM, Roonil Wazlib said:

Yeah I really hope they don't do any remakes. I have to admit, I'm kind of worried that they'll remake the Great Hall with a better tower. Then it will be a question of, do we want to spend $100+ on a different version of a set we already have? It would probably have new minifigures as well. And where will it end? I don't want to get roped into continually buying new versions of existing sets just for small improvements and new minifigures.

I'm starting to sound as anxious as Hannah Abbott during OWLs lol

As long as Harry Potter is popular with children, I think we can expect remakes every few years for the foreseeable future. 

Over the past 2 decades, there have been 4 editions of Hagrid's Hut.  I missed the first 3 sets, so I was happy when LEGO Group decided to sell the Hagrid's Hut "Buckbeak's Rescue" last year.  

My collection of LEGO is modest, as I don't go for complete themes.  I only buy a set or a revision if I really like the improvements.  Or if I want more pieces for a MOC related to that theme. 

14 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

Does anyone know of a good way to buy a complete CMF series 2 in the US for a reasonable price? 

Bricklink has a complete set listed for about $60. They also have individual bags listed for cheap as well.

3 hours ago, Legofania said:

@Guyon2002 um, hi. Is there any new info about summer wave that you could share? Maybe hints?

Nope. If I don't say anything it's safe to assume that I either have nothing new to share or that I'm not allowed to share something. 

I don't think it's been mentioned here yet - the Overlord Dragon from Ninjago apparently has two new molds for its head, check out just2good's review if you want a better look. The molds are not perfect especially with those wonky teeth, but they could work for the basilisk's head I think. Any thoughts?

21 minutes ago, BenderBrau said:

I don't think it's been mentioned here yet - the Overlord Dragon from Ninjago apparently has two new molds for its head, check out just2good's review if you want a better look. The molds are not perfect especially with those wonky teeth, but they could work for the basilisk's head I think. Any thoughts?

I personally think a (good) brickbuilt head would be miles better than the Overlord one. The Overlord head has those weirdly angled teeth that the Basilisk doesn't have and the shape of the head doesn't really match up either. It's a neat mold but imo it doesn't work for the Basilisk (or the Overlord himself for that matter, going off his look in the show).

Just read regarding the new CMF 21 that not only are there now 12 in the series, but there are only 36 in a box ? Wonder if this will happen when we get Potter series 3 ?? 

3 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I personally think a (good) brickbuilt head would be miles better than the Overlord one. The Overlord head has those weirdly angled teeth that the Basilisk doesn't have and the shape of the head doesn't really match up either. It's a neat mold but imo it doesn't work for the Basilisk (or the Overlord himself for that matter, going off his look in the show).

It's a weird situation because Ninjago dragons have used brick built heads (with exception of one 4+ set) for a few years now and introducing two completely new molds seemed out of place to me, which got me thinking they are probably going to pop up somewhere else. It's not the perfect match for the basilisk obviously, but it's a good enough fit if the designers weren't allowed to create a new mold for whatever reason. And personally I'd rather have a molded head rather than brick built

41 minutes ago, Jarreth2 said:

Just read regarding the new CMF 21 that not only are there now 12 in the series, but there are only 36 in a box ? Wonder if this will happen when we get Potter series 3 ?? 

I assume that all following CMFs will use the same format as CMF 21 including HP 3.

23 minutes ago, BenderBrau said:

It's a weird situation because Ninjago dragons have used brick built heads (with exception of one 4+ set) for a few years now and introducing two completely new molds seemed out of place to me, which got me thinking they are probably going to pop up somewhere else. It's not the perfect match for the basilisk obviously, but it's a good enough fit if the designers weren't allowed to create a new mold for whatever reason. And personally I'd rather have a molded head rather than brick built

The lower jaw for the Overlord is already getting (re)used for Lloyd's dragon in the S14 sets and from what I've seen Ninjago's dragon-specific molds don't seem to get used much outside of the theme so while it's of course always a possibility I doubt it'll get carried over to Potter :shrug_oh_well:

Oh, I didn't realise Jungle Dragon reuses the mold (even if only the lower jaw), I was just going off of j2g's review :innocent: Interesting. I wouldn't mind if HP creatures received such a good treatment as well, as we desperately need a good representation of the Basilisk (and Iron belly for that matter).

On 12/14/2020 at 11:02 AM, Mordarch said:

I am not a fan of the random castle-like exteriors though, The Whomping Willow set is probably one of my least favourites, mainly due to the rather lacklustre exterior that vaguely resembles a part of the castle from the films.

Maybe they can set Moaning Myrtle's Bathroom in there or something.

I rather enjoyed the Whomping Willow for including the Potions classroom, and Snape's office for the dressing down post Anglia crash. So many of the scenes took place in that classroom. The Gryffindor dorm was a nice bonus, too. I think I care more about the scenes than I do the architecture of the place. (There's always the nanoscale build for that.)  

I'm also realising with some surprise, now that you've mentioned it, that I'd like two lav based sets, which strikes me as strange. I think I'd like to see a stall, the troll and firstie HRH in a small set, because that was the scene where they finally become friends, and perhaps they could include the sinks from Myrtle's lav in a second CoS set with the chamber and basilisk. Or maybe make another small (connectable) set out of just the sinks and have it be the scene where Hermione brews Polyjuice and turns into a cat person, and then the CoS could include the Slytherin common room with Harry & Ron / Crabbe & Goyle. (Alternatively, I'd be happy with those three as CMFs.) But Myrtle's lav seems something of a must. We already have the diary Harry recovers from the CMF 2 series... The scene with Harry attacking Draco was set there, too, and Snape saving him from the Sectumsempra's effects. (And now she wonders uncomfortably if she needs a *third* set with the windows and sinks in front of them, Harry duels Draco, Snape comes to the rescue...) Anyway, small sets would do quite nicely.  

On 12/14/2020 at 12:34 PM, Guyon2002 said:

That's why I want future Hogwarts sections (apart from maybe the Belltowers and Boathouse) to focus on the interior and have the exterior just look like a random piece of castle, not a specific section of Hogwarts :wink:

Selfishly hoping they don't make the bell towers, as I have neither the budget nor the space for them, but it would bug me not to have gotten them... lol (Sorry.)

Agreed. One of the MOC's I like best is a series of individual rooms / scenes connected. https://imgur.com/user/Penguinelo (they've also done nice Hufflepuff & Slytherin common room builds)

Which interiors are you looking forward to seeing / really missing? (I'm adding something for the Hufflepuffs to my above oddly lav-centric list... :laugh:)

On 12/14/2020 at 12:52 PM, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Bell towers (with part of the Long Gallery), boathouse, and Owlery. After that I agree with you, I’d love to see some interior-focused sets with more or less random castle exterior

Boathouse I get (although I still think the bookends of Snape's experiences in the Shrieking Shack were better from a story telling standpoint, but they're not movie canon :shrug_oh_well:). But the Owlery? I couldn't place it on the map, and I can't really think of anything key taking place there, and of course all those owls are always a budget issue... So I'm curious, what makes you want it? Do you look at the layout and feel it's missing, or why is it resonating for you? 

On 12/14/2020 at 8:38 PM, Seaber said:

Also, not much happens in the Great Hall that is set worthy other than the feasts. The Duelling Club could be just the stage and the  Battle of Hogwarts doesn't need to what is essentially a bare hall.

The original display of the GH from the toy fair even had a duelling platform that was made from the tables. (There was also some mechanical feature to it that I've never seen video of in action. If anyone has, would you mind sharing a link? In all the ones I've seen it was static.) I believe the current thinking was we can create the stage at will from the parts included. But maybe they'll release it again as a small set with an affordable Lockhart.  

On 12/15/2020 at 7:57 AM, MaxHeadroom said:

I would prefer one or two useless remakes per year to expand the line over the abundance of novelty side products like advent calendars, polybags, GWPs, book exclusive figures, buildable books, mosaics, ect. 

Oi! Mitts off the advent calendars! (I think I'm in love... :wub:) The book exclusive figs, when they aren't just variants but actual figs not otherwise available (Tom Riddle *sigh*), are a real thorn in my side, however. 

1 hour ago, Salix said:

I assume that all following CMFs will use the same format as CMF 21 including HP 3.

Oh I hope not. Given we always get HRH, that's already three figs down, and I really like fleshing out my collection. But otoh I'm also not all that keen on FB, so it's for the best...

@ArneNielsen - thanks for sharing your views on the Anglia. I'm not a car person. (If I note the number of doors a car has, that's real progress.) And frankly I groaned when they included a second Anglia in this series instead of Hagrid's (Sirius') motorcycle with sidecar. It's always good to be reminded that there are folks out there with very different points of view. :classic:

Edited by krimimimi

37 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

HRH

For a moment I thought what royalty was there in HP and then it dawned on me that you meant the golden trio, Harry, Ron, and Hermoine.

3 hours ago, Salix said:

For a moment I thought what royalty was there in HP and then it dawned on me that you meant the golden trio, Harry, Ron, and Hermoine.

:iamded_lol:Close enough, isn't it?

4 hours ago, krimimimi said:

Boathouse I get (although I still think the bookends of Snape's experiences in the Shrieking Shack were better from a story telling standpoint, but they're not movie canon :shrug_oh_well:). But the Owlery? I couldn't place it on the map, and I can't really think of anything key taking place there, and of course all those owls are always a budget issue... So I'm curious, what makes you want it? Do you look at the layout and feel it's missing, or why is it resonating for you? 

The original display of the GH from the toy fair even had a duelling platform that was made from the tables. (There was also some mechanical feature to it that I've never seen video of in action. If anyone has, would you mind sharing a link? In all the ones I've seen it was static.) I believe the current thinking was we can create the stage at will from the parts included. But maybe they'll release it again as a small set with an affordable Lockhart.  

@ArneNielsen

Your location says Germany, but I've never heard anyone other than an native Brit say lav before! 

Firstly, the Owlery is outside the main castle structure like the Quidditch Pitch or Hagrid's Hut, so it could be seen as a sort of side build and therefore may be a more interesting build than an integrated part of the castle. The pros of an Owlery set are Winter Harry/Cho, a nice Castle build and a load of owls! 

I saw a video, I think it was from FBTB but it's been so long since I visited that I'm not sure, and the Duelling Club was no more than a small flipping table. I can't remember the exact mechanism, but it wasn't a new thing from memory, it was familiar so had been in other sets. 

The stage could be built from existing parts of course, but a new Lockhart and Snape, with a cheap Slytherin robes on Malfoy, perhaps Hufflepuff robes on Justin too, with a neat flipping stage would be a really nice set. 

Edit - sorry Arne, can't remove the mention! 

Edited by Seaber

11 hours ago, Seaber said:

Your location says Germany, but I've never heard anyone other than an native Brit say lav before! 

Firstly, the Owlery is outside the main castle structure like the Quidditch Pitch or Hagrid's Hut, so it could be seen as a sort of side build and therefore may be a more interesting build than an integrated part of the castle. The pros of an Owlery set are Winter Harry/Cho, a nice Castle build and a load of owls! 

I saw a video, I think it was from FBTB but it's been so long since I visited that I'm not sure, and the Duelling Club was no more than a small flipping table. I can't remember the exact mechanism, but it wasn't a new thing from memory, it was familiar so had been in other sets. 

The stage could be built from existing parts of course, but a new Lockhart and Snape, with a cheap Slytherin robes on Malfoy, perhaps Hufflepuff robes on Justin too, with a neat flipping stage would be a really nice set. 

The facilities at school were definitely called lavatories, and "lav" is much easier to spell. :wink: (What else would they be called?) But seriously, the English taught and spoken here is decidedly more British than American, say. 

Good point about separate structures. 

Went looking, and found the FBTB post you mentioned. Cheers. 

You can see the platform move slightly around .38. I guess it wasn't enough of an effect to make the set's final cut. Certainly not as presented here anyway. I'd seen at least one other video where it was explained as the duelling platform, but in that video you couldn't see how it was meant to be used... :shrug_oh_well:

Ooo! And now I really want them to do a new version of 4733 Duelling Club. They can skip the background, just give me something I can slot into the GH. I'd love a Lockhart (haven't been able to afford DA yet) and an improved Snape. (I'm partial to 2010's version. This series' has been disappointing (he looks sort of constipated), and Moments' seems no better.) Plus Draco in (extra!) Slytherin robes, and Justin (more House diversity, please!) and a snake for Harry to reason with. :laugh:

Has anyone noticed there are some “freckles” on Day 22’s minfigure of HP Advnet Calendar? I don’t recall that. 

Also her hairpiece does not look right on her. Oh well. 

1 hour ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Has anyone noticed there are some “freckles” on Day 22’s minfigure of HP Advnet Calendar? I don’t recall that. 

Also her hairpiece does not look right on her. Oh well. 

Those have always been there, even on the CMF version. 

3 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Those have always been there, even on the CMF version. 

Ok, i didn’t bother to take a close look in first place. Oops. 

Anyways, thanks.