Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Recommended Posts

Just now, Otherworld said:

Also, I lowkey wish this theme doesn’t go on for way too long ? Or I could just skip several sets.

I'm in the same boat tbh. I love this theme but I'd prefer it to just run it's course and then end, no endless stream of remakes like Star Wars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I'm in the same boat tbh. I love this theme but I'd prefer it to just run it's course and then end, no endless stream of remakes like Star Wars.

Exactly! Phew, I feel more relieved of spilling that out. LOTR was the last theme I collected before the dark ages took over, and HP got me out of it.

Still, there’s something not magical about a theme lasting too long and getting too many remakes. I would rather see fewer sets with worthy minifigures than bla bla bla disloyalty... quality over quantity basically. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

There are two very recognisable characters from the first two films that we still haven't gotten yet - Crabbe and Goyle!

Really I think Neville should've been replaced by Ron. Yes Neville faints in the Herbology classroom but Ron being squeamish and freaked out is a bigger part of the scene IMO. Then Ron's current spot could've been switched out for Crabbe or Goyle.

The other placement is trickier because I get that they wanted to have a student from each house in their respective books. However given that they didn't even do a Hufflepuff torso, personally I would swap out Cedric for the other Crabbe/Goyle.

Unless the set is based on DH Crabbe/Goyle need to come as a pair. There is no real issue with Malfoy being in the potions set. Malloy is a necessary inclusion in the potions set because the only mass release sets containing Malfoy are quite expensive. I also the Hufflepuff book needs to include a hufflepuff student even if they are wearing a robe instead of a redesigned torso print.

These book sets are aimed at children even more than the standard sets. The characters were chosen to please kids and the updated teachers and new torsos were included to please collectors. The proper Hogwarts expansion sets are really the only place I could see us ever getting obscure characters which is why I find the party themed minifigures in those sets so frustrating. Even then some of the characters we are getting with these books are more obscure (Cho, Cedric, and Seamus weren't in the first decade of this theme). I wouldn't have been surprised if LEGO included one of the trio or even Harry in every single set.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Otherworld said:

 

Also, I lowkey wish this theme doesn’t go on for way too long ? Or I could just skip several sets.

I think HP could have worked well as a 5 year theme with each year covering 2 films and a final year to wrap everything up but I doubt that will happen. The focus is already being lost with Advent calendars, book exclusive builds, buildable large scale creatures, accessory packs, book exclusive figures, and buildable books/classrooms. It's frustrating for collectors and makes collecting the theme and trying to get everything far less appealing.
 

My main issue with it though is that it seems to be affecting the sets themselves. 2018 gave us the basics of any HP line of LEGO with a focus on years 1/2, 2019 gave us everything we would need from years 3/4 except a Sheieking Shack (and maybe a second task set or Durmstrang ship), 2020 gave us solid representation of year 6, expanded year two, an owl, and also a bit of year 5. I wouldn't call 2020 the worst year for the LEGO HP reboot but it certainly has the worst main wave. It feels like key sets are being held back for the sake of saving them for later and spreading out the interesting sets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

I think the reason they chose the characters they did is because they wanted these sets to be based on the first two films since most of the sets based on those films were meant to be out of production by now.

Personally I think it is because thay want to save new characters for future sets. Yes they can give us new variants of old characters, but new ones they will save for when it really counts. Just look at how many variants we have gotten for Cho and Cedric, they are mostly in one film each. While Ginny they saved for a long time even if she is in every film, however now that we got her they start giving us a lot of variations..

7 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

It feels like key sets are being held back for the sake of saving them for later and spreading out the interesting sets. 

Exactly :wink:

11 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I'm in the same boat tbh. I love this theme but I'd prefer it to just run it's course and then end, no endless stream of remakes like Star Wars.

10 hours ago, Otherworld said:

Still, there’s something not magical about a theme lasting too long and getting too many remakes. I would rather see fewer sets with worthy minifigures than bla bla bla disloyalty... quality over quantity basically. 

As long as it sells they will keep it going :tongue: However unlike SW (at least so far) they are instead of remakes making sets that are different. If that is because almost no sets are retired yet remains to be seen :wink: With at least 16 sets next year I guess around half must be something else beside the normal sets so they do not use up too many spots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

My main issue with it though is that it seems to be affecting the sets themselves. 2018 gave us the basics of any HP line of LEGO with a focus on years 1/2, 2019 gave us everything we would need from years 3/4 except a Sheieking Shack (and maybe a second task set or Durmstrang ship), 2020 gave us solid representation of year 6, expanded year two, an owl, and also a bit of year 5. I wouldn't call 2020 the worst year for the LEGO HP reboot but it certainly has the worst main wave. It feels like key sets are being held back for the sake of saving them for later and spreading out the interesting sets. 

 

23 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

Exactly :wink:

I must admit I don't quite understand this argument. So far I think you could make the case that the Beauxbaton's Carriage was a little left field and the Hedwig large scale creature isn't for everyone, but that's only two £35 sets in two different waves.

Apart from the Horntail set which I think most people agree was the weakest of the line so far, I'd say all sets were really high quality and also 'key'.

If there is a new wave in 2022, I suppose the inclusion of Privet Drive in the 2020 wave could be seen as premature as the Ford Anglia was present in two sets on the shelves at once. Otherwise I think the balance has been pretty good. 

 

12 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I'm in the same boat tbh. I love this theme but I'd prefer it to just run it's course and then end, no endless stream of remakes like Star Wars.

The good thing about Star Wars now is the sets since about 2012 have been pretty good, and the remakes haven't been drastic improvements so I feel content skipping, and maybe just buying the odd torso or face from sets I've skipped. 

12 hours ago, Otherworld said:

Still, there’s something not magical about a theme lasting too long and getting too many remakes. I would rather see fewer sets with worthy minifigures than bla bla bla disloyalty... quality over quantity basically. 

I think the CMF has really helped this theme get a lovely balance between figures and sets. So far there have been only been 17 main sets. The two 'UCS' sets, one large creature set, two advent calenders, one student pack and a few GWP/Polybags have bolstered the line for those that want extra. 

Apart from Neville in CMF Series 2, all the figures have been great (his MBOM is brilliant, but the figure is so similar to (Harry/Hermione in Series 1). Right now my guess is another four years and two CMF Series would be the limit before any major repetitions occur in the Happy Potter line, but that's just a guess and without seeing the 2021 wave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, 

There is one thing what we probably miss and its minifigure of Tom Riddle. Lego never use unique figure for the book at the past so i think that this year we can expect Borgin and Burkes or part of the Hogwarts with chamber of secret. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Seaber said:

I must admit I don't quite understand this argument. So far I think you could make the case that the Beauxbaton's Carriage was a little left field and the Hedwig large scale creature isn't for everyone, but that's only two £35 sets in two different waves.

Apart from the Horntail set which I think most people agree was the weakest of the line so far, I'd say all sets were really high quality and also 'key'.

If there is a new wave in 2022, I suppose the inclusion of Privet Drive in the 2020 wave could be seen as premature as the Ford Anglia was present in two sets on the shelves at once. Otherwise I think the balance has been pretty good. 

Sorry if I did not make myself clear :blush:
I think the theme is fantastic and they are doing most thing right in my opinion :thumbup:
However since it is such a big success they want to make it a evergreen theme. In order to do that they must save minifigs and locations for future years and not give us everything at once.
Beauxbaton's Carriage was on target, these are on the side:

  • brickheadz (no minifigs, no locations)
  • advent calendars (minifigs, but mostly variants of ones we have gotten already, no locations, but small builds that fit in with earlier sets)
  • Classroom sets (minifigs, but only variants of ones we have gotten already, locations, but only variants of ones we have gotten already)
  • D2C Hogwarts (unique minifigs, but only ones that would never come in normal sets, location, but only reuse one we have got in a different scale?
  • GWP DA (minifig, but only a variant, location in a different scale)
  • Hedwig and monsters book of monsters (minifig, but only a variant, no location, but a animal or thing in a different scale than normal)
  • Hogwarts Students Acc. Set (minifigs, but mostly variants, no location, but small builds that fit in with earlier sets)
  • Polybags (minifig, but only variants, no location, but small builds that fit in with earlier sets)
  • CMF (minifigs, but a lot of variants, figs we most likely will get in future sets or unique figs that would never come in normal sets, no locations)

They can give us for several years:

  • a part of Hogwarts
  • a small build with 2-4 minifigs
  • a house
  • a part of DA
  • a vehicle
  • something they skipped in a previous year

Other than that they must find other ways to expand the line without using up unique minifigs and locations :classic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KA1 said:

Hi, 

There is one thing what we probably miss and its minifigure of Tom Riddle. Lego never use unique figure for the book at the past so i think that this year we can expect Borgin and Burkes or part of the Hogwarts with chamber of secret. 

There have actually been several figures that remained exclusive to books, mainly in the Star Wars theme, so it wouldn’t be completely unprecedented that Riddle just stays exclusive to the Magical treasury book

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, guys. Do you think there's a chance for professor Trelawney to appear in a future set? I wasn't a Harry Potter fan when the first CMF series was in stores and her minifigure is super expensive now where I live. I really like her character and I don't wanna spend roughly 22 dollars on a single minifigure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

My main issue with it though is that it seems to be affecting the sets themselves. 2018 gave us the basics of any HP line of LEGO with a focus on years 1/2, 2019 gave us everything we would need from years 3/4 except a Sheieking Shack (and maybe a second task set or Durmstrang ship), 2020 gave us solid representation of year 6, expanded year two, an owl, and also a bit of year 5. 

From year 1, I miss the troll in the lav scene most. From year 2 I miss a CoS, Borgin and Burke's, maybe the corridor scene with the writing on the wall or a petrified Mrs Norris / Colin McCreevey / Nearly Headless Nick, some representation of the polyjuice / duping and drugging Crabbe and Goyle / visiting the Slytherin dungeons scene, and maybe something to show the petrification victims in the Infirmary. (CMFs would do for the latter.)

Personally I think I'd enjoy an advent set representing the polyjuice, Crabbe & Goyle etc. With small builds to represent the Myrtle's lav and the dungeons... It  doesn't hurt that it took place at Christmas. 

5 hours ago, Roebuck said:

 

  • advent calendars (minifigs, but mostly variants of ones we have gotten already, no locations, but small builds that fit in with earlier sets)
  • Classroom sets (minifigs, but only variants of ones we have gotten already, locations, but only variants of ones we have gotten already)
  • ...
  • a house
  • a part of DA
  • a vehicle

I love these ideas.

I adore the advent calendars. I've had one every year for ages, and the HP ones are by far my favourites. (The city ones got a little boring (I'm not really a fan of all the nanobuilds), and the Friends colour scheme just makes me stabby.) I think there are plenty of things they could explore there to keep it going for a very long time. The different Christmases in the story, as they're doing, then maybe different years and classes to cycle through the characters at different ages, especially for people who've missed out on the earlier sets, while providing more props for our own MOCs of the castle. (For example, first year figs, maybe one other student from a different house for more uniforms, some teacher or possibly two, and then the things that would make for either a nicely fleshed out classroom build or enable kids to play with them on their own. By the same token, I'd enjoy more classroom / books, with a strong focus on fittings that again could be used in MOCs. 

And I'm still waiting on my thestral drawn carriage. :wink:

Wasn't quite sure what you meant by "house"? I can't see them ever giving us a Hufflepuff common room, say, but I'd enjoy it thoroughly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Fifulin said:

Hey, guys. Do you think there's a chance for professor Trelawney to appear in a future set? I wasn't a Harry Potter fan when the first CMF series was in stores and her minifigure is super expensive now where I live. I really like her character and I don't wanna spend roughly 22 dollars on a single minifigure.

They could do her GoF appeareance, Ginny’s wavy hair kinda fits TBH. I just don’t know where they’d put it...

7 hours ago, Seaber said:

I think the CMF has really helped this theme get a lovely balance between figures and sets.

Agreed. Four more years and two more CMF is actually a lot, I just hope they cover everything in the end. My main concern is buying *almost* every set that comes out for the sake of not missing out on them, and finding myself in a never-ending journey :laugh: And once the theme dies, think “I could’ve skipped this one and this one”.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fifulin said:

Hey, guys. Do you think there's a chance for professor Trelawney to appear in a future set? I wasn't a Harry Potter fan when the first CMF series was in stores and her minifigure is super expensive now where I live. I really like her character and I don't wanna spend roughly 22 dollars on a single minifigure.

I wouldn't count on it. I can't think of major scenes with her in later films beyond getting fired by Umbridge, and I doubt they'd make a set of it. (The last time Trelawney appeared was a generic castle set from third year (think of the scene where Hermione quits the class in PoA and Harry has the Grimm), and we're sort of past third year now in the current wave.) 

Have you tried bricklink?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fifulin said:

Hey, guys. Do you think there's a chance for professor Trelawney to appear in a future set? I wasn't a Harry Potter fan when the first CMF series was in stores and her minifigure is super expensive now where I live. I really like her character and I don't wanna spend roughly 22 dollars on a single minifigure.

Hi, i dont think so. If they will make any sets from the past it will be Boat or chambers of secret. She had bigger role in third book and we have lot of sets from this. Btw da se sehnat za 200kc..:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hogwarts mosaic leaked. 

Honestly not sure what to think about it. At first glance it really doesn't look like Potter and I needed the name and logo to remind me what it was. I guess I was expecting something along the lines of the traditional house logo's, not this.
Don't get me wrong, it looks great. It just doesn't really remind me of Hogwarts or Harry Potter in general :def_shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Honestly not sure what to think about it. At first glance it really doesn't look like Potter and I needed the name and logo to remind me what it was. I guess I was expecting something along the lines of the traditional house logo's, not this.
Don't get me wrong, it looks great. It just doesn't really remind me of Hogwarts or Harry Potter in general :def_shrug:

Me too. I had to read the side to check it was the HP one. If I hadn't of known there was a HP mosaic due to be released I wouldn't have given these a second glance thinking they weren't HP. I was expecting four vibrant colourful mosaics with full house colours, but I guess they're going for the more demure look for adults. Shame as it is the vivid red and contrast in the SW mosaics that makes them look good to me. Not that I was going to buy it regardless, but it certainly wasn't what I was expecting. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

if the will be not possibility to have all four part in the same moment it will be very disappointing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KA1 said:

if the will be not possibility to have all four part in the same moment it will be very disappointing 

If you want to have all 4 mosaics you'll have to buy 4 copies of the set. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KA1 said:

 

if the will be not possibility to have all four part in the same moment it will be very disappointing 

You can only build one motive with one set :wink: So you need 8 copies in total since the large (unpictured) Hogwarts crest takes 4 combined copies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

You can only build one motive with one set :wink: So you need 8 copies in total since the large (unpictured) Hogwarts crest takes 4 combined copies

Sure, i counted that for one image you gonna need 2304 (48x48) Frame and background 100-150 so rest from 4249 are unique from different one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They look good but I feel like the Gryffindor lion should’ve been gold or silver instead of black. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

They look good but I feel like the Gryffindor lion should’ve been gold or silver instead of black. 

The reason is probably saving parts... :pir-look:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m very interested to see the Hogwarts Crest, but the combined motives aren’t advertised too much so we probably won’t see it before the set hits s@h :sceptic: It’s pretty weird they don’t focus on them more; they’re not mentioned anywhere on the box for instance and their instructions have to be downloaded... I mean the combined Iron Man and Vader motives were undoubtedly the best ones in the first wave after all 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys do you think that we will get another HP set during the winter wave? Or just 4 classes and crest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, KA1 said:

Guys do you think that we will get another HP set during the winter wave? Or just 4 classes and crest?

This is it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.