Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

29 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

On a related subject, if speculation turns out to be right and we do get a Burrow set this August couldn’t it theoretically be DH1 based instead of HBP based? After all, 2018 mainly had sets based off years 1-2 but still included a Hogwarts Express based off PoA, so it wouldn’t be unprecedented. 

I’d really hope so. To get the main trio in their wedding outfits would be neat maybe even Rufus Scrimonger as well. 

I used to be the biggest Harry Potter fan, fell out of it, and this there's revival brought me back in hugely. This is the first theme in a long while where I have been getting every set.

Just now, UKFan922 said:

Neville and Lupin have the same hair.

They use the same spooky boy hair mold but I’m pretty sure Lupin uses it in medium brown while Neville looks like he will have it in dark brown. 

Just now, Accio Lego said:

They use the same spooky boy hair mold but I’m pretty sure Lupin uses it in medium brown while Neville looks like he will have it in dark brown. 

Seems a bit weird when they're going to be used in the same scene though.

I'm going to buy several Nevilles and Harrys for the books. I did that with a few characters last year for the skirts and accessories. 

1 hour ago, UKFan922 said:

Seems a bit weird when they're going to be used in the same scene though.

Not really, since neither’s hair is really depicting the style it’s in in the scene they share. Lupin’s hair is brushed back in the boggart scene, although he usually lets it fall forward over his face, hence lego’s choice to use the spooky boy hairpiece.

The choice to use it for Neville is almost certainly intended to reflect his OotP/HBP appearance despite the cmf fig having the Monster Book. I imagine it’s the same mode of thinking behind Bellatrix having her more iconic partial updo instead of the frizzy mess that would canonically go with her prison robes - that’s the hairstyle Lego will be using for other versions of this character and they want consistency for them. (Keep in mind the only characters to get hairstyle changes to match the movies so far are the trio and Dumbledore, and the latter’s has been to denote the change in actors.) 

Ironically, both characters part their hair opposite of the way the Spooky Boy hair does. But despite than that both are recognizable, which is lego’s main concern. 

1 hour ago, Accio Lego said:

Not really, since neither’s hair is really depicting the style it’s in in the scene they share. Lupin’s hair is brushed back in the boggart scene, although he usually lets it fall forward over his face, hence lego’s choice to use the spooky boy hairpiece.

The choice to use it for Neville is almost certainly intended to reflect his OotP/HBP appearance despite the cmf fig having the Monster Book. I imagine it’s the same mode of thinking behind Bellatrix having her more iconic partial updo instead of the frizzy mess that would canonically go with her prison robes - that’s the hairstyle Lego will be using for other versions of this character and they want consistency for them. (Keep in mind the only characters to get hairstyle changes to match the movies so far are the trio and Dumbledore, and the latter’s has been to denote the change in actors.) 

Ironically, both characters part their hair opposite of the way the Spooky Boy hair does. But despite than that both are recognizable, which is lego’s main concern. 

Yeah that’s the exact same hair piece I used for my custom Neville figures, I think it works really well

3 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

https://images.app.goo.gl/SuN7E5VgDKZM2jQ79

Harry is definitely based on this scene, that's why the hands are blue. I'm pretty sure he is the exclusive variant that comes in buildable Hedwig set.

Good call! If that's the case, I'd be pleased. It's a nice and useful variant to build up more Gryffindors, but it's also not essential and wouldn't feel like LEGO throwing an extremely desirable figure into an otherwise not Minifigure-compatible set.

5 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Harry is definitely based on this scene, that's why the hands are blue. I'm pretty sure he is the exclusive variant that comes in buildable Hedwig set.

Ah yes, that makes a lot of sense. It's the only set he could appear in like this. Gonna Bricklink that one.

Dobby's smile looks kinda creepy. Liked the cmf one better. But overall still not a fan of this new head mold, luckily I still own the 2011(?) one, so I just switched the heads. Also I assume this probably means no Fred and George.

Anyway I'm happy the leaks have started. And now that the least interesting figures have leaked every leak from now on will probably be very exciting.

Not a big fan of Dobby (his smile looks weird) but Harry looks pretty good. Not a figure I absolutely have to get though so I'm happy if this is the figure from the Hedwig set

Over the course of today we've gotten 2 Harry Potter, 4 Ninjago and 1 Marvel factory leak so it wouldn't surprise me if we see a lot more figures in the coming days

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

Not a big fan of Dobby (his smile looks weird) but Harry looks pretty good. 

Me neither. Then again, I never really liked the CMF one so I wasn't expecting to like this one either. The 2010 Dobby is the only old figure I have purchased because his face shape and general expression just looks so much softer and better to me (so long as the print doesn't rub off of course). I understand why they changed the material, but this is one figure that isn't an 'improvement' from the old to me.

2 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Good spot. If you didn't know better you'd think the leaker had switched the hands, but actually it's very screen accurate. It's got to be the exclusive buildable Hedwig figure I agree.

Edited by BacktoBricks

3 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

Me neither. Then again, I never really liked the CMF one so I wasn't expecting to like this one either. The 2010 Dobby is the only old figure I have purchased because his face shape and general expression just looks so much softer and better to me (so long as the print doesn't rub off of course). I understand why they changed the material, but this is one figure that isn't an 'improvement' from the old to me.

I do actually like the CMF figure, the smile just looks out of place to me

I’m glad they stuck with the dual molded short legs for Dobby, I honestly thought this version wouldn’t have them. Of course it does kind of feel like a wasted CMF spot now but several of them are bound to overlap in sets so I don’t really mind. I like the Harry minifig and I agree it’s got to be the exclusive figure with Hedwig. Very nice. The blue gloves are a nice touch (great catch by @THELEGOBATMAN) but they look slightly odd on the figure. Still very nice though, I hope more leaks follow

I suppose this means we're likely to get another Ron in the Privet Drive set then, hopefully it's a new variant. He wears a sort of corduroy jacket in the film, hopefully Lego don't do what they did with the Hogwarts Express and re-use an old print. 

Love the new Harry, whether or not I buy the Hedwig set I don't know yet, but I imagine the torso will be reasonable priced enough, the head, hair and legs are repeats as far as I can tell. 

If the buildable Hedwig was $70 or something stupid like that I would pass on it but it’s only supposed to be like $40 according to reports. That manageable, it’s worth it for an exclusive figure and a nice build, especially if it’s discounted

Just now, Balrogofmorgoth said:

If the buildable Hedwig was $70 or something stupid like that I would pass on it but it’s only supposed to be like $40 according to reports. That manageable, it’s worth it for an exclusive figure and a nice build, especially if it’s discounted

I'll skip it, might buy the torso/figure though. Besides not really needing the set the lack of work because of Covid-19 will heavily affect my LEGO budget so I'm going to have to be more criticical as to what I will/won't buy.

The Harry figure looks really good. Hopefully he’ll come with a new Hedwig piece! I’m not a huge fan of the Dobby head mould but at least it gives it some consistency with CMF version. 

19 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I'll skip it, might buy the torso/figure though. Besides not really needing the set the lack of work because of Covid-19 will heavily affect my LEGO budget so I'm going to have to be more criticical as to what I will/won't buy.

My work hasn’t been affected yet, but I suppose it’s only a matter of time. I remodel kitchens and bathrooms so when people stop wanting us in their house, that’s when my Lego budget drops

Anyone else find it remarkable how much Lego is avoiding cloth capes with this theme? ...so far the only figures I can recall in this revampwith any cloth capes/skirts etc are in the CMF series, Madam Hooch in the bricktober Pack, the dementors, and the one quidditch set of course. None of the other teachers or figures with regular Hogwarts robes have them, quite a contrast to the original theme. And it’s not like Lego doesn’t do short capes as we had those for the hobbits etc in the LotR series...

Just now, Bugbot20082 said:

Anyone else find it remarkable how much Lego is avoiding cloth capes with this theme? ...so far the only figures I can recall in this revampwith any cloth capes/skirts etc are in the CMF series, Madam Hooch in the bricktober Pack, the dementors, and the one quidditch set of course. None of the other teachers or figures with regular Hogwarts robes have them, quite a contrast to the original theme. And it’s not like Lego doesn’t do short capes as we had those for the hobbits etc in the LotR series...

I must say I prefer it this way, especially now that they seem to have returned to using the old material instead of the softer ones. I never particularly disliked the hard capes/cloth pieces but now that we've had the soft capes for a few years I really don't like this return to the old ones

21 minutes ago, Bugbot20082 said:

Anyone else find it remarkable how much Lego is avoiding cloth capes with this theme? ...so far the only figures I can recall in this revampwith any cloth capes/skirts etc are in the CMF series, Madam Hooch in the bricktober Pack, the dementors, and the one quidditch set of course.

Strangely enough, the quidditch figures don't need capes - they're already printed on. Perhaps a camo-like piece would have worked with the new ones, mine are currently capeless.