Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

6 minutes ago, Modal said:

Vladek’s Dark Fortress in 2005.

Haha that was my Christmas present for 2006 and I always moaned to Santa Claus how that was the last lego set he ever gave me! Until my moaning finally worked and got me my very last one in 2011.

19 minutes ago, InkyStar said:

Awesome, thanks!  I got the Hogwarts Castle last year, and soon as I told Mum about Diagon Alley, she told me my christmas present for this year was sorted.  I am very lucky, even though my Mum had thought the days of buying Lego for Christmas were long done :grin:

That’s no regular mom, that’s a cool mom!

30 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

While I don’t know how things go in Australia/New Zealand(which seems to be where Toyworld is), Target here used to have little advertisements on the shelves of D2C’s & directing people to their website to order. Looking now, I see the Technic Lamborghini on there. I even remember seeing an Assembly Square at B&N years ago. 

D2C stuff frequently turns out outside of Lego stores and S@H here in Australia, both at major department stores like Myer and at smaller places like HobbyCo.

1 hour ago, Otherworld said:

Now imagine if the trio had been given the starry black capes. That would've been an "abducted by Tom Riddle's diary and taken back 19 years ago" kind of moment :classic:

If they do an anniversary minifigure next year like they did with Star Wars it better have a star spangled cape. Those were one of the most iconic parts of the original sets :wub:

1 minute ago, Accio Lego said:

Those were one of the most iconic parts of the original sets :wub:

Nah, the goofy faces and Snape‘s glow-in-the-dark head were the most iconic aspects :laugh_hard: (Seriously though, what was up with that? I remember the first time I saw anything HP-related was the teaser for the first wave in a LEGO magazine, so imagine my 12-year old version‘s surprise at Snape being a regular-looking human in PS :tongue: To have been a fly in the room when that decision was made)

3 hours ago, Modal said:

As far as I know, all D2C’s are exclusive to Lego Stores and Lego.com. So I guess to answer your question, yes it’ll have to be direct. Has there been evidence of D2C’s showing up in other stores during their shelf life?

In Belgium you can also find D2C in other normal toy stores. Maybe not all D2C, that I don't know, but for sure the Hogwarts castle was everywhere; so it had eventually good discounts too.

8 minutes ago, Shiene said:

In Belgium you can also find D2C in other normal toy stores. Maybe not all D2C, that I don't know, but for sure the Hogwarts castle was everywhere; so it had eventually good discounts too.

Was it? I only saw it at Fun, I thought they had some sort of deal with LEGO. Like getting some of those store exclusives and so on. Never saw the castle in any other shop, at least where I live.

You can find most D2Cs at various retailers too. The catch is that it takes a while before they become widely available, usually around 3 months I think :laugh: At least in Switzerland, this often isn‘t worth it since some retailers sell D2C sets with quite the mark-up. I remember the UCS Millennium Falcon having a mark-up of over 30% in some places during the period it was sold out on s@h :hmpf_bad: 

1 hour ago, Mordarch said:

Was it? I only saw it at Fun, I thought they had some sort of deal with LEGO. Like getting some of those store exclusives and so on. Never saw the castle in any other shop, at least where I live.

You can still find it in Dreamland. Last September all Lego products have 25% discount (will that happen again in two weeks? we will see) and I recall that Hogwarts Castle had a quite good price (although I did not buy it myself). And yes, I also saw it at Fun.

So any thoughts as to why the Designer chose to make the QQS’ upstairs windows high? I was having a nosey at pictures and still frames of the shop and they show the windows to be low. Just a random thought that popped into my head

I don‘t know exactly why but I‘m kind of disappointed with Diagon Alley. Had they included Gringott‘s the set would sell way better for sure

8 minutes ago, topiku said:

I don‘t know exactly why but I‘m kind of disappointed with Diagon Alley. Had they included Gringott‘s the set would sell way better for sure

It‘s a bit too early to tell how well the set will sell, but the absence of Gringotts probably won‘t be a strike against it given how much the set includes as is :wink:

12 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

It‘s a bit too early to tell how well the set will sell, but the absence of Gringotts probably won‘t be a strike against it given how much the set includes as is :wink:

I'm still going to get it as I've already saved up but I agree with @topiku that the absence of Gringotts is certainly an excuse not to buy and there are others too, the bright pink might be off-putting for those hoping for a less garish build and the minifigure selection isn't as must-have as it could have been.

All in all though I'm very happy with it, think it'll look excellent front on and from the side with all the signs protruding out.

52 minutes ago, Yellowturnip said:

So any thoughts as to why the Designer chose to make the QQS’ upstairs windows high? I was having a nosey at pictures and still frames of the shop and they show the windows to be low. Just a random thought that popped into my head

The only design decision was what source material to base the buildings on. They very clearly (to me at least) choose DA as it appears in PS and CoS, which used the same set. There are dozens of pictures and versions of DA out there but if you look at QQS in the first film it has pretty large windows upstairs. 

On a general note - I appreciate this is a forum and obviously we’re all going to have our own opinions but I’m still baffled by some of the reaction. This has to be the most screen accurate film based Lego set ever...by miles. I really can’t think of another set that even comes close.

Is it perfect? No, it’s Lego and subject to the constraints that come with that. But as Lego/HP fans we’ve just lucked out. Why isn’t everyone celebrating this? 

3 minutes ago, B2Brixet said:

Is it perfect? No, it’s Lego and subject to the constraints that come with that. But as Lego/HP fans we’ve just lucked out. Why isn’t everyone celebrating this?  

Because it was hyped up for over 6 months so expectations were unreasonably high ?. I've made some criticism here, but I'm still so excited for it and definitely getting it day 1.

FYI - Brick Show is reporting Harry Potter Gifts With Purchase for September:

• LEGO Harry Potter and Hedwig: Owl Delivery (30420) - for purchases of LEGO Harry Potter sets worth $40 or more.
  • LEGO BrickHeadz Hagrid and Buckbeak (40412) - for purchases of LEGO Harry Potter sets worth $100 or more.

https://brickshow.com/2020/08/expect-a-couple-of-lego-harry-potter-gwp-sets-in-september

2 minutes ago, thenightman89 said:

• LEGO Harry Potter and Hedwig: Owl Delivery (30420) - for purchases of LEGO Harry Potter sets worth $40 or more.
  • LEGO BrickHeadz Hagrid and Buckbeak (40412) - for purchases of LEGO Harry Potter sets worth $100 or more.

https://brickshow.com/2020/08/expect-a-couple-of-lego-harry-potter-gwp-sets-in-september

Welp, guess PS Harry won't be part of a GWP then.

4 minutes ago, thenightman89 said:

Not as good as a specific GWP but still pretty cool, hopefully that'll be the case for the Netherlands as well!

Just now, YetiZombie said:

Welp, guess PS Harry won't be part of a GWP then.

Just because there's no new HP GWP to coincide with DA's launch doesn't mean there can't be one later in the year 

21 minutes ago, YetiZombie said:

Because it was hyped up for over 6 months so expectations were unreasonably high ?. I've made some criticism here, but I'm still so excited for it and definitely getting it day 1.

Same, not a perfect set, could definitely use more minifigures, and I would love unique printing for them all but it’s still a day one purchase for sure, I’m still very excited for it

38 minutes ago, topiku said:

Had they included Gringott‘s the set would sell way better for sure

I think it will sell plenty and a Gringotts is probably added next year anyway. In my mind the set will only be even better as times goes and we can add more builds to the street. The different parts of Howarts mostly sell to HP fans I assume, while this has a potential to reach a much bigger customer base. I do like to collect the castle parts, but this is much more compact and feels more like collecting modulars which is a good thing in my mind :wub:

21 minutes ago, B2Brixet said:

Why isn’t everyone celebrating this? 

I think as soon as we get the HD pictures the initial minor disappointment of getting 14 (+2) minifigs is probably gone and we can celebrate :pir-huzzah1:

I think I'll get this day one and save some of the latest wave of sets incase there does end up being a unique GWP later on.

1 minute ago, Zepthire said:

I think I'll get this day one and save some of the latest wave of sets incase there does end up being a unique GWP later on.

Yep, this is my plan too.

44 minutes ago, B2Brixet said:

The only design decision was what source material to base the buildings on. They very clearly (to me at least) choose DA as it appears in PS and CoS, which used the same set. There are dozens of pictures and versions of DA out there but if you look at QQS in the first film it has pretty large windows upstairs. 

On a general note - I appreciate this is a forum and obviously we’re all going to have our own opinions but I’m still baffled by some of the reaction. This has to be the most screen accurate film based Lego set ever...by miles. I really can’t think of another set that even comes close.

The pictures and film bit I looked at was from the first film? Harry’s first time in DA? The upstairs windows are practically sitting on top of the roof of the downstairs windows??? I could be completely wrong I usually am ? 

I hold off on buying the Burrow just in case there'd be a GWP later in the year as I knew I'd want to get DA asap. So I'm definetely planning on buying DA on day one, unless LEGO's being greedy again and puts it up at 450 instead of 400 :sceptic:

17 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

I think as soon as we get the HD pictures the initial minor disappointment of getting 14 (+2) minifigs is probably gone and we can celebrate :pir-huzzah1:

5,544 pieces and 14 minifigs for $400 in a licensed theme is incredible value. If the set had 1k fewer pieces, then I'd be upset about the minifigure count. But let's compare the value of this to the upcoming Mos Eisley Cantina. I have a feeling this will blow it out of the water.

7 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Nah, the goofy faces and Snape‘s glow-in-the-dark head were the most iconic aspects :laugh_hard: (Seriously though, what was up with that? I remember the first time I saw anything HP-related was the teaser for the first wave in a LEGO magazine, so imagine my 12-year old version‘s surprise at Snape being a regular-looking human in PS :tongue: To have been a fly in the room when that decision was made)

My interpretation of Snape's head, is they wanted to capture his striking paleness. One theme was exploring the castle (maybe at night?). As he sometimes patrols for students out of bed, it becomes a visibly spooky element (given he's more noticeable).

Edited by Captain America