Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

4 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

The way I see it, the whole issue can be broken down to this: Is Diagon Alley complete without Gringotts? No? Then TLG is trying to sell an incomplete 400$ set :tongue: That‘s a bit too shady for my liking. Sure, TLG is a company, but their reputation means a lot to them and this would just be cash-grabby.

Here you go.  It has everything you need!  https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/diagon-alley-40289

6 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Now for the people who say they shouldn't need to buy a second set to complete their 400 dollar one (if there are any). It's not like that extra 100 you were willing to pay for a 500 complete set suddenly went away right? You probably even have a full year to save up for it.

You may be starting to turn me around on this. Even though I’ve spent a majority of my participation in the DA discussion hoping that WWW is included, I generally want all the shops to be done well, and if that means Gringotts needs to be done separately, and in doing so would provide the average consumer with a cheaper way to have a piece of DA, then so be it. I’ll most likely end up buying Gringotts anyway, and that doesn’t bother me too much; I know I’ll be able to gather the necessary funds somehow between now and presumably next summer. Now if only LEGO would just reveal the set so we can put this speculation to rest :roflmao:

7 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Still not sure whether I'm sad or happy if Gringotts isn't included. Really depends on the quality of the sets.

I can see clearly onw that baby Harry definitely doesn't have the scar. Oh well. This will do I guess. I might just buy 2 and cheat a little with some paint. Won't be purist though :cry_sad:

Well ever thought maybe lego is putting the customer at number 1 right now? You must remember the countless of people, many of which said so on this very forum, who can't afford a 400,- diagon alley set, but desperately want a part of it. This is probably the majority of the people. So they will be very happy if they're able to get the one centre piece of the street separately. They even were able to get the most important shop owner through a gwp set 2 years ago (although that one was kinda hard to get for some people.)

That being said, now that those without 400 to spare are happy, let's take a look to the other side of people. What difference does it make for them whether they buy a 500,- fully filled diagon alley set, or a 400,- + a 100,- one? The end result will be the same, a complete diagon alley. Only the boxes might look a little bit off, but that should hardly be a real problem. And if it is Lego could just do a 2in1. Not sure if that's ever been done with a d2c, but they might as well give it a try.

Now for the people who say they shouldn't need to buy a second set to complete their 400 dollar one (if there are any). It's not like that extra 100 you were willing to pay for a 500 complete set suddenly went away right? You probably even have a full year to save up for it.

And for those comparing it to the real world famous landmarks. Sure you're not gonna make new York without the statue of liberty, Paris without the Eifel tower, London without the Big Ben (and the rest of the tower:tongue:) etc. However that's usually the one thing they're known for. Many people usually aren't even sure about the other landmarks locations in that area, nor would they be able to stand on itself. While the diagon alley shop surely can. It's the most fun part in the theme parks to many and they have quite some interesting buildings to win people over. Mainly Ollivanders and WWW. Sure the daily prophet can't stand on itself, but it doesn't have to.

Besides, most people who are already planning on buying a 400 dollar Harry Potter set surely are the people who are probably hardcore enough of fans to don't mind if it's just a part of a bigger display. Most licensed d2c sets are targeted at hardcore fans anyway, not towards to casual buyers and the children like regular sets.

Also as one final, although slightly jokingly argument. People are also buying gaming consoles and games separately, so why would it be a problem for Lego sets. What I'm trying to say is, you can't have everything at once, surely not in the best possible quality imaginable.

This is, if true, ultimately the only option to please the most amount of people. And thus, lego puts once again, the customer first.

Hear hear! Could not agree more.

This just means we get a more detailed and interesting Diagon Alley (and Gringotts!) than we would if Gringotts was included in the first set. Plus we get to be excited for the next set!

5 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

It's not like that extra 100 you were willing to pay for a 500 complete set suddenly went away right?

Tbh, if they released them at the same time I'd agree with you. It wouldn't be the best option but it'd be alright. Waiting a year for a set that might or might not exist so my $400 purchase feels complete is a big ask though.

If you dont think the example of real life places is a good one then look at it this way. Imagine they released the Cloud City D2C without the Vader/Luke duel being included. Sure it makes a fine standalone set and hey, Slave 1 is iconic enough but it still would make the set feel incomplete in an unsatisfying way. Including didn't stop them from making it a more detailed standalone set at a later date either.

4 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

The way I see it, the whole issue can be broken down to this: Is Diagon Alley complete without Gringotts? No? Then TLG is trying to sell an incomplete 400$ set :tongue: That‘s a bit too shady for my liking. Sure, TLG is a company, but their reputation means a lot to them and this would just be cash-grabby.

I agree with you 100%.  If Borgin and Burke’s isn’t included, oh well.  But if Gringotts is omitted, I’ll probably have to do some serious thinking before I drop $400.  However, no sense in worrying until an official reveal. 

I‘ll buy the set either way, but I would feel a bit cheated if Gringotts was missing. This thing is called „Diagon Alley“, not „most of Diagon Alley with its (arguably) most iconic building missing, please wait until next spring to find out if we bother to release it and then fork out another 100$“ :tongue:

Edited by Lego-Freak

49 minutes ago, Yope said:

The Hogwarts Great Hall and Hogwarts Astronomy Tower sets were sufficiently "complete".  They contained the name of the sets in their entirety and more, there wouldn't be any expectation to get anything else.

If there was a $400 set called Hogwarts Castle however and it didn't have the great hall for example then I'm sure people would be disappointed.

We still do not know the name of the set, however I have trouble finding a name that makes it OK to leave out Gringotts :sceptic:

Edited by Roebuck

Just now, Roebuck said:

We still do not now the name of the set, however I have trouble finding a name that makes it OK to leave out Gringotts :sceptic:

Diagon Alley without Gringotts ?

On another note, looks like no CMF reveal so @Lego-Freak your models are wrong on all levels. I'd sack Stan if I was you. ?

Just now, Roebuck said:

We still do not now the name of the set, however I have trouble finding a name that makes it OK to leave out Gringotts :sceptic:

If they call it "Diagon Alley Shops" (like the tiny 2001 set) I can see them not including Gringotts. But I'm with you - they wouldn't leave it out if it's supposed to represent all of DA. ESPECIALLY if it's partially supposed to represent Harry's first trip (based on the minifig leak), as the Gringotts scene is a huge part of that. From a product design and marketing perspective, it makes no sense.

Anyway, I agree with others in saying there's no point in arguing further about this until we get more evidence or an official reveal.

29 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Not sure if that's ever been done with a d2c, but they might as well give it a try.

The perfect example is Pirates of Barricuda Bay, that's a 2-in-1 D2C.

Has it not occurred to anyone that maybe we haven't seen all the stickers? The leaked sheets look incomplete to me, especially the one with the green F&B stickers. Couldn't there be more out of frame?

3 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

On another note, looks like no CMF reveal so @Lego-Freak your models are wrong on all levels. I'd sack Stan if I was you. ?

I would, but I have no idea how to fire a programming language :laugh_hard:

2 minutes ago, YetiZombie said:

Anyway, I agree with others in saying there's no point in arguing further about this until we get more evidence or an official reveal.

Good point. You can‘t really argue about taste, which is what this whole argument boils down to :shrug_oh_well:

Just now, Albus said:

Has it not occurred to anyone that maybe we haven't seen all the stickers? The leaked sheets look incomplete to me, especially the one with the green F&B stickers. Couldn't there be more out of frame?

I was wondering the same thing, but it doesn‘t look like there are more stickers on there :sceptic:

1 minute ago, Albus said:

It has. I've been saying that for the last 5 pages. :P Although I said that we might be missing more sticker sheets and not parts of known sheets, but missing stickers nonetheless.

P.S. I'm assuming we're not getting a full reveal before we reach page 500. :(

Edited by Salix

Stickersheets A, B and D are definitely complete. They all have copyright on the bottom-right. On sheet C, it looks like, copyright is on there to, but just out of frame on the bottom-right, hard to tell.

On 8/5/2020 at 5:05 PM, Accio Lego said:

If you’re in the US like me, then I believe it’s a B&N exclusive, and they’ve got it slated for a September 1st release. The Lego store will also be selling it of course, but they’re current official release date is also September 1st (although some Lego stores claim that they can put out the sets early if they arrive before then - my local Lego store was pretty solid on the September 1st date when I called to ask though). 

Thanks! In the US, preordered it from the Lego store a while ago, but realized I had no idea when it came out

32 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Well ever thought maybe lego is putting the customer at number 1 right now? You must remember the countless of people, many of which said so on this very forum, who can't afford a 400,- diagon alley set, but desperately want a part of it. This is probably the majority of the people. So they will be very happy if they're able to get the one centre piece of the street separately. They even were able to get the most important shop owner through a gwp set 2 years ago (although that one was kinda hard to get for some people.)

I think you make some good points @Huigberts Builds, and I certainly wouldn't bet on Gringotts being included.  In particular I agree that $400 is a steep ask for many especially at the moment.

Nonetheless LEGO is releasing a $400 set regardless and there's naturally going to be stuff in there that people will be unfortunate to miss in a more affordable set (WWW for one).  What I would find odd about a follow up Gringotts beyond its omission from Diagon Alley as many have stated is twofold:

- The level of intricacy in the build may be inconsistent between sets (if Diagon Alley is targeted to an older market)

- The ordering would be peculiar.  A Gringotts followed by Diagon Alley would be great, everyone excited for Gringotts and then the prospect of a $400 addition of the rest of Diagon Alley would be very enticing.  But Gringotts afterwards seems like an add-on and I can't think of an instance of LEGO doing this in such a significant way (ie the most iconic part sold separately).

We'll find out soon enough and I'm sure we'll be happy with what LEGO does regardless.  They have barely missed a beat with the new Harry Potter line.

20 minutes ago, Salix said:

It has. I've been saying that for the last 5 pages. :P Although I said that we might be missing more sticker sheets and not parts of known sheets, but missing stickers nonetheless.

Glad I'm not the only one. I must have missed your posts, it's so hard to keep up in here :)

22 minutes ago, Salix said:

Perhaps LEGO are waiting to reveal it as a reward for this forum reaching 500 pages of mostly pure speculation!

Last time we where sure we would get a system-scale set. Then out of the blue the nanofigs leak and we understand that's not the case. A lot of people get disappointed, but by the time the set is revealed a lot of the disappointment have settled down and we can look at the set with more neutral eyes.

This time most people expect that Gringotts is included, then out of the blue the sticker sheet leak...:def_shrug:

Most likely me looking for a pattern and not Lego trying to avoid customers having a negative opinion against a set before it is released :tongue:

37 minutes ago, Salix said:

The perfect example is Pirates of Barricuda Bay, that's a 2-in-1 D2C.

I actually meant it like what they did to the 3 marvel mechs recently. 3 previously separate sets, combined into 1 box. I think fans will be outraged if they either have to choose between building 1 shop over another, or having to buy two 400 sets to get the entire street.

10 minutes ago, Yope said:

Perhaps LEGO are waiting to reveal it as a reward for this forum reaching 500 pages of mostly pure speculation!

Oh no :laugh_hard:. We can do this, let's go! (At this rate we'll be reaching that amount this weekend already, even without trying xD).

Man I kind of wished the sticker sheet didn’t leak now because this conversation isn’t fun. Don’t think we’re going to be able to celebrate the set until it is officially revealed and we can all come to terms with the result

if they for some ridiculous reason dont Include it, they better let us know immediately that we can expect one soon. I don’t need a year with no official statement from Lego. 

Also, if we do get Gringotts next year, I don’t see how a $100 set is going to get us anything that is more detailed than what we would Already get in this set. I don’t really need the dragon personally.

Edited by Modal

23 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

I think fans will be outraged if they either have to choose between building 1 shop over another, or having to buy two 400 sets to get the entire street.

I do not agree, it would be like the alternative models of old sets or creator 3 in 1. With Pirates of Barricuda Bay you have to choose, build one, build one and then the other or buy two. From what I heard they have only gotten praise for that approach :shrug_oh_well: I do not think that is a problem if we get instructions and stickers for twice as many shops as we normally would for that price. However that would be a lot more complicated than the pirates set where they remove some parts and add some others and Bob's your uncle :sceptic:

8 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

I do not agree, it would be like the alternative models of old sets or creator 3 in 1. With Pirates of Barricuda Bay you have to choose, build one, build one and then the other or buy two. From what I heard they have only gotten praise for that approach :shrug_oh_well: I do not think that is a problem if we get instructions and stickers for twice as many shops as we normally would for that price. However that would be a lot more complicated than the pirates set where they remove some parts and add some others and Bob's your uncle :sceptic:

I think its kinda different when the set is literally double the price of Barricuda Bay

it looks like there is a 1x1 round tile in the butterbeer cups. also, is there some printing on Hermione's? it may be the lighting or some printing mistake, but it sort of looks like there is something on the side, maybe from when she spilled it on herself? 

Also kinda upset there is no foam, they could have printed it on the tile.

Edited by Surge

What if the Gringotts set is already planned and will be revealed together with Diagon Alley. I know it sounds a little bit crazy, but who knows :blush: