Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

7 minutes ago, ddavid said:

I wonder if they do the same three buildings as they did in the old set:

Gringott's Bank, Ollivander's, Borgin & Burke's or they will change things up. Like the Leaky Cauldron!

There's been a lot of discussion about this already, but I'm almost 100% certain we'll be getting more than three buildings in the new set.  Gringotts and Ollivander's seem like safe bets, as does the Leaky Cauldron.  I think Borgin and Burke's is highly likely as well, but it's a tossup since it's technically Knockturn Alley.

I'm not sure whether to be pumped for tomorrow, or to temper my expectations and expect a reveal in mid August.

What was the last D2C to be revealed a whole month before its non-VIP release date? The Haunted House? Do we even know whether DA will have an early VIP release?

I hope we get something tomorrow, considering it's the 31st.

I would tamper expectations for diagon alley reveal tomorrow. I really don’t see a set like this being announced out of the blue like that. I feel like there would be some sort of sign it was coming. CMF would be much more likely but I don’t see them announcing CMF on a Friday, they usually like to do that midweek. At best my guess is something happy birthday to Harry with a tease

Yea I’m tempering expectations for anything this week. Gonna play it safe and not hope for anything before the second week of August. 

If it’s true then I wonder why they open and closed the VIP Q&A so early

27 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

CMF would be much more likely but I don’t see them announcing CMF on a Friday, they usually like to do that midweek.

Between now and Series 11, the reveals have happened 3 times on a Monday, 6 times on a Tuesday, 6 times on a Wednesday, 4 times on a Thursday, and 3 times on a Friday. The last series to be revealed on a Friday was Series 18, so not that long ago actually :wink: While reveals on Tuesdays or Wednesdays are more common, a Friday reveal cannot be ruled out yet :classic:

Edited by Lego-Freak

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but for those of you in the US, I called my nearest Lego store and they said that the release date for Harry Potter sets was pushed from Aug.1st to Sept.1st due to distribution delays. But they said they are marked as "sell on arrival", so they don't have to adhere to Sept.1st as a release date. Once they are in, they can sell them.

52 minutes ago, 0937Bricks said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but for those of you in the US, I called my nearest Lego store and they said that the release date for Harry Potter sets was pushed from Aug.1st to Sept.1st due to distribution delays. But they said they are marked as "sell on arrival", so they don't have to adhere to Sept.1st as a release date. Once they are in, they can sell them.

Good to know. I’ll probably call my local Lego store tomorrow to see if they’re operating on the same information, and if they are, to see if they’d be willing to put me on some sort of mail list to let me know then the sets get in (if not I just I’ll just end up calling whenever they get a restocking shipment, but we’ll see). 

I know we haven't seen all the sets for this year. But I still think of witch HP set we will get next year and when.. If we get anything early in the year or must wait..

With a D2C set soon, we must get more sets next year :grin:

6 hours ago, sebastian666 said:

This may seem totally irrelevant to the timing of a major toy reveal, but if you were LEGO’s marketing team would you want to announce one of your biggest most expensive product launches on a day that social media will be completely saturated with news of the VP announcement?

Or what if LEGO Diagon Alley is Joe's pick for VP? 

On the topic of other themes we collect I have a varied collection. Most of what I have is from when I was a kid buying LEGO around 2007-2011. I collected a lot of a few themes like City, HP, Architecture, and Star Wars (I've just finished a five day binge of rebuilding SW sets including a few big ones like 8038 and 7675). I mainly collected a few sets from a lot of random themes though like Spongebob, Indiana Jones, Kingdoms, Atlantis, and various others.
Aside from some LEGO movie and Ideas sets I really didn't buy much new LEGO from 2012- to the HP reboot. I did buy a lot of used stuff though, mainly Hobbit and LOTR sets even though I didn't like the hobbit movies that much and have never seen LOTR. I would find them at local garage sales for cheap prices (I only paid $6USD for the hobbit hole set) so I just bought them mainly for parts or to integrate into my Hogwarts Castle displays. 

Looking at future LEGO sets though I'm definitely curious about what will happen to this forum once the DA and CMF get revealed. Im sure all of us children of nono will disband for the rest of the year. At this rate I'm guessing that won't be for another 100 pages though. 

As we impatiently anticipate the reveals for the D2C and the CMF, I have a question for you all—what was your first Harry Potter set? Mine was either the original 2001 Hogwarts Express or the 2002 Privet Drive (I was quite young at the time so my memory of acquiring either of them is spotty at best)

9 minutes ago, Holden Brickfield said:

As we impatiently anticipate the reveals for the D2C and the CMF, I have a question for you all—what was your first Harry Potter set? Mine was either the original 2001 Hogwarts Express or the 2002 Privet Drive (I was quite young at the time so my memory of acquiring either of them is spotty at best)

2018 Aragogs lair 

3 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

Looking at future LEGO sets though I'm definitely curious about what will happen to this forum once the DA and CMF get revealed. Im sure all of us children of nono will disband for the rest of the year. At this rate I'm guessing that won't be for another 100 pages though. 

Someone should make a timeline of this Forums events

The Age of Toy Fair rumors----The Age of News Darkness-----The Rise of the King-------The Age of Figure Leaks-------The Age of Waiting----------------------The Age of Reveals---The Fall of the King-------The Second Age of Darkness-----The Second Age of Leaks------The Second Age of Waiting------

29 minutes ago, Holden Brickfield said:

mine was the 2011 Forbidden Forrest or the 2010 hogwarts. my sister got the 2010 Hogwarts for 2011 Christmas and I traded my RC car for her lego set. I just can't remember if I got the forbidden forest earlier that year or in 2012. 

I have a feeling that we might get a set similar to the forbidden forest next year, so that might be a real nostalgia trip

Edited by Tommy269

35 minutes ago, Holden Brickfield said:

4737 Quidditch Match from 2010. I received it as a gift that year, and it was at the time my favorite set in my collection (out of the seven total sets I had at the time). The following year, I picked up Freeing Dobby, the Hogwarts Express, and Hogwarts Castle.

32 minutes ago, Holden Brickfield said:

Yeah, I couldn’t tell you specifically either, just that I must have gotten multiple sets from that very first wave as birthday/Christmas gifts as a little kid when they were first released. The Flying Class set is one of the very few I didn’t save the instructions for so that was probably an early acquisition I guess, and I’m pretty sure the first Hogwarts Castle and Hogwarts Express and Forbidden Corridor sets were among that fist group as well?

My first Lego HP set was the 2001 Forbidden Corridor.  It was my favorite set of the initial wave for some reason.  I was seven years old. :classic:

Mine is easy to remember. It is the first time I spent more than $40 on a LEGO set. My wife and I were going on a date night out bowling. But we got to the bowling place and it turned out it was a league night and we weren't allowed to play. So we went to BigW and found the 2010 LEGO Hogwarts set on clearance for $120 (not the greatest discount). So we decided instead for our date night we would buy the Hogwarts set and build it together! :-D Pretty sure the next day we went and bought the night bus and forbidden forest! :-D

cool to see that there are so many original HP lego fan. The old waves get a pretty bad wrap now, but I always though there were pretty good for time.

2 hours ago, Holden Brickfield said:

Mine was the Lupin classroom set!

1 hour ago, Tommy269 said:

cool to see that there are so many original HP lego fan. The old waves get a pretty bad wrap now, but I always though there were pretty good for time.

The original waves made up for their lack of screen accuracy and relatively low piece counts (compared to modern sets) by being jam packed with all sorts of random play features (there are so many hidden compartments with gemstones in that first Hogwarts Castle), throwing in as many owls, rats, and weirdly fluorescent spiders as they could, and being spiced with subtle design motifs from the pre-movie era merchandise artwork (those star spangled capes from the first two waves were clearly a direct reference to the old Mark Braught illustrations). They were just so much fun to play with, and they had such random goofy features peppered throughout them (Snape had a glow in the dark head, the Basilisk’s fangs were actually knives that also glow in the dark, nobody at WB ever bothered to tell Lego that Peeves was cut out of the movie fairly early on (although they did cast an actor for him) so he made it into two of the original sets, the really tall spiral staircases that got phased out around the same time flesh tones were phased in, and I can’t stress how much I love those random trans fluorescent spiders - if they do an anniversary set next year there’d better be fluorescent spiders or it wouldn’t be complete). 

Edited by Accio Lego

2 hours ago, Holden Brickfield said:

That’s a great question! I don’t recall what my exact first set was, but I remember saving up for the 2007 castle in 2010 and then discovering that there was a new one and getting it. I also got Hagrid’s Hut and the Hogwarts Express for Diwali that year, which is one of my fondest childhood memories. I’m not sure which came first but I think it was Hogwarts, and that set is still one of my absolute favorites to this day. 

I’m hopeful that LEGO will give us something today. Maybe the CMF reveal, but I’m not expecting Diagon Alley to drop out of nowhere given the teases for the last couple D2C sets. If nothing else, I’d expect us to get our first teaser image/video for Diagon Alley today! 

Edited by GoldenNinja3000

3 hours ago, Holden Brickfield said:

[...]—what was your first Harry Potter set?

Mine was 4702 The Final Challenge :classic: I still remember getting it a couple of days before PS came out and then feeling bad for Quirrell after seeing the film :sadnew: Afterwards, I got the OG Hagrid‘s Hut, those small sets with cardboard backgrounds (which were WEIRD), the Sorting Hat, and Snape‘s Class. I didn‘t buy any of the other 2001 sets and bought some sets here and there for the other waves, but never completed a wave until the 2010 reincarnation. Or 2007 technically, because that „wave“ consisted of a single set :tongue:

I also distinctly remember laying eyes on anything Potter-related for the first time in a LEGO magazine that had a teaser image for the theme showing the trio and Snape. What always bugged me about it was that Snape was holding a flask that still hasn‘t appeared in any set to this day :head_back:

5 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

those small sets with cardboard backgrounds (which were WEIRD)

To this day the Hogwarts Classrooms (with Harry) and the Gryffindor Tower Rooms (with Ron) are some of the only Harry Potter sets from the old theme that I don’t have. Some enterprising relative gifted me with the Diagon Alley Shops one (whether they thought I’d like the Hermione one because I’m a girl or whether they knew me well enough to know she was my favorite character I can’t remember). The cardboard backgrounds were definitely weird, and they had an entirely different color palette from the rest of the theme. I remember wondering if they were some sort of knock off when I got mine because it was so different from the others and I’d never seen it in the Lego adds for the rest of the theme, but nope, Lego just released those three sets as their own little candy colored mini wave.