Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

Leaving off Gringotts would be an incredibly bad move though :tongue: As I’ve said before, a 400$ DA needs to be as complete as possible. You can’t expect customers to buy a set like that with one of the most iconic and important parts missing and for them to patiently wait 9 months to buy it separately :laugh: That’s like selling a UCS Millennium Falcon without the cockpit and then releasing it separately 9 months later

#Agreed. I don't see how anyone can expect Gringotts not being in Diagon Alley, It's literally the main feature of the movie scene. If the set had been a big 100 bucks, I could have imagined one or two shops for display. A 400 Diagon Alley is bound to be as complete as can be with several buildings. Would it deserve a stand alone set based on Deathly Hallows ? Sure, and we might even get one (Totally can see a dragon escape set, a mine cart adventure or what not, something in the spirit of the Horntails or Room of Requirement set, only slightly bigger. Few figs, Dragon, some carts or vaults etc.) And who knows, maybe the will even include the Dragon straight into this set. The leaked figures don't hint to that at the moment though...

The building based on the Leaky Cauldron is a somewhat different matter, since theoretically Diagon Alley starts where the Leaky Cauldron ends. Maybe I'm alone on this but what really jumps to mind when I think Diagon Alley is Hagrid and Harry walking into the streets on John Williams magical tune. The Leaky Cauldron at that stage is behind them. Then again, depending on how they decide to display the set, I could totally see them including it, and I would love them for it. But if anything's gonna left be out, it better not be Gringotts. :laugh:

1 hour ago, Felkin said:

Both Gringotts and the Leaky Cauldron could easily be stand-alone sets, rather than part of Diagon Alley.

I agree with @Lego-Freak. Whilst Gringotts and the Leaky Cauldron could easily be stand-alone sets, this would only work in my opinion if they weren't releasing a 'Diagon Alley' set and instead going modular with the whole street, releasing each building separately. Otherwise you can't make Diagon Alley and leave out two of the most well-known locations, Gringotts especially.

Edited by BacktoBricks

25 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

and going modular with the whole street.

We do not know that yet :wink:

I do think however that a Gringotts is very hard to avoid in a big DA set, but for the rest of the street to shine I think they must tone it down a bit. A huge building with vault and dragon would steal a lot of bricks from the other shops. A future stand-alone set with the dragon escape would be better in my mind. :shrug_oh_well:

1 minute ago, Roebuck said:

We do not know that yet :wink:

I know. I meant it would only work if they were releasing each building separately as a 'modular' rather than releasing a larger Diagon Alley set.

Keep in mind leakers have been saying we won’t be disappointed. That could mean a lot of things but I do think it’s an indication that it’s not going to be missing all the iconic shops

3 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Keep in mind leakers have been saying we won’t be disappointed. That could mean a lot of things but I do think it’s an indication that it’s not going to be missing all the iconic shops

The same thing was said about the 2020 Helicarrier and the Jurassic Park D2C. Everyone can make the decision for themselves ofc but ''you won't be disappointed'' no longer means anything to me :sceptic:

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

The same thing was said about the 2020 Helicarrier and the Jurassic Park D2C. Everyone can make the decision for themselves ofc but ''you won't be disappointed'' no longer means anything to me :sceptic:

Did they really. I don't follow those themes so wouldn't know. Interesting. It shows just how subjective opinions are doesn't it? I certainly don't take 'you won't be disappointed' to mean anything to me, but I bet a lot who did got stung when those two you mentioned were revealed. Ouch.

Well, disappointment always depends on the expectations you have :tongue: I for one didn’t see the JP D2C coming, but ended up loving it. The recent Helicarrier is a good set IMO as long as you don’t compare it to the MCU version, which a lot of people probably did in their expectations.

As for DA, I don’t really see a way for it to be disappointing, unless it’s just a gigantic ice cream parlor with Harry & Fortescue as the only minifigs :laugh_hard:

4 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

As for DA, I don’t really see a way for it to be disappointing, unless it’s just a gigantic ice cream parlor with Harry & Fortescue as the only minifigs 

I know of one other way it most likely will disappoint you as well :tongue:

However I think that it is a bigger chance I will be satisfied with the set than disappointed (close too) no matter which route they take :sweet: Some may say I am setting myself up for disappointment with this approach :blush:

33 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

Did they really. I don't follow those themes so wouldn't know. Interesting. It shows just how subjective opinions are doesn't it? I certainly don't take 'you won't be disappointed' to mean anything to me, but I bet a lot who did got stung when those two you mentioned were revealed. Ouch.

They certainly are subjective, which is exactly why hints like that mean nothing me :wink:

23 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Well, disappointment always depends on the expectations you have :tongue: I for one didn’t see the JP D2C coming, but ended up loving it. The recent Helicarrier is a good set IMO as long as you don’t compare it to the MCU version, which a lot of people probably did in their expectations.

Don't want to go to off-topic here but as it's a set based on the Avengers game most people expected it to look like the game version of the Helicarrier (a.k.a. The Chimaera). But it ended up being a big ugly brick with little flappy wings, almost no interior at all and none of the basic things any helicarrier should have. 

with little flappy wings, almost no interior at all

I think it and the Night Buzzard will get along splendidly ?

I can’t recall if this has already been discussed or not, but could it be that the CMF series and the DA D2C set will both be revealed during the Q&A event? Sure, the announcement clearly references DA and nothing else, but this  is the first reveal event of its kind and there are thus no established rules concerning what they will or won‘t show :wink: 

Sure, you could argue that one may steal the spotlight from the other, but that would probably happen anyway given how close to another the reveals have to be. If they really worried about that, they already would‘ve pulled back the curtain on the CMF series that‘s out of the bag halfway-through anyway :tongue:

Edited by Lego-Freak

2 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

I can’t recall if this has already been discussed or not, but could it be that the CMF series and the DA D2C set will both be revealed during the Q&A event? Sure, the announcement clearly references DA and nothing else, but this  is the first reveal event of its kind and there are thus no established rules concerning what they will or won‘t show :wink: 

Sure, you could argue that one may steal the spotlight from the other, but that would probably happen anyway given how close to another the reveals have to be. If they really worried about that, they already would‘ve pulled back the curtain on the CMF series that‘s out of the bag halfway-through anyway :tongue:

It has not been explicitly discussed as far as I know, but yes, that is my belief as well: a huge Harry Potter reveal party this Friday!  :pir-huzzah1: 

11 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

I can’t recall if this has already been discussed or not, but could it be that the CMF series and the DA D2C set will both be revealed during the Q&A event? 

No we haven't discussed it. I supposed we just all assumed it be one or the other and they'd spread out the reveals for maximum marketing, but sure it's possible. 

I'm curious what would people rather have: two separate reveals or both together? Normally I'd say separate to spread the excitement, but if they do reveal DA in the next week or so, I think now I'd rather they revealed the CMF too or I'll be thinking they may have put the CMF release date back to next year. 

Just now, BacktoBricks said:

No we haven't discussed it. I supposed we just all assumed it be one or the other and they'd spread out the reveals for maximum marketing, but sure it's possible. 

I'm curious what would people rather have: two separate reveals or both together? Normally I'd say separate to spread the excitement, but if they do reveal DA in the next week or so, I think now I'd rather they revealed the CMF too or I'll be thinking they may have put the CMF release date back to next year. 

Honestly, this is probably the most unpopular opinion you will hear, but I hope they push the CMF back to next year.  Diagon Alley is expensive enough, and feeling for minifigures during a pandemic is not an appealing prospect.  The downside is that those who only want/can afford the CMF and not Diagon Alley would be disappointed, and I can sympathize with that.

Just now, RogueTwo said:

Honestly, this is probably the most unpopular opinion you will hear, but I hope they push the CMF back to next year.  Diagon Alley is expensive enough, and feeling for minifigures during a pandemic is not an appealing prospect.  The downside is that those who only want/can afford the CMF and not Diagon Alley would be disappointed, and I can sympathize with that.

You make a good point. I have no idea how I'm going to get hold of the minifigures without going to a shop and feeling for the packets. I don't want to buy a full set or box of the internet, but can't afford to buy dupes either. Feeling out those you need is also part of the fun for me. And it is going to all get expensive with DA too.

1 minute ago, RogueTwo said:

I'm planning on buying both DA and an entire box of the CMF (have been saving up a long time to be able to afford this) so that would be really disappointing. And next year is most likely going to be really big for Jurassic World, which is my second favorite theme, so that's gonna be expensive as well. I'd prefer a 2020 release for both!

2 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

Honestly, this is probably the most unpopular opinion you will hear, but I hope they push the CMF back to next year.

*pitchfork sharpening and torch-oiling intensify*

I'm planning on buying both DA and an entire box of the CMF (have been saving up a long time to be able to afford this) so that would be really disappointing. And next year is most likely going to be really big for Jurassic World, which is my second favorite theme, so that's gonna be expensive as well. I'd prefer a 2020 release for both!

And I totally get that.  Good for you for saving!  Luckily, my opinion won't affect your chances!  :laugh:

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

*pitchfork sharpening and torch-oiling intensify*

If we don't get a reveal for both this week, I'm going to be your most hated person on Eurobricks!  :tongue:
Just kidding, it's all good fun in my opinion.

One thing I would say is perhaps we should all take a minute to congratulate Lego. There's still been the odd rogue drip, but they really did fix that leaky faucet. ?

Just now, BacktoBricks said:

One thing I would say is perhaps we should all take a minute to congratulate Lego. There's still been the odd rogue drip, but they really did fix that leaky faucet. ?

Nope, not congratulating them (even though it is impressive).  :grin:

Forget about the NDAs, I want DA!  (sorry, that was a really bad pun)

1 minute ago, BacktoBricks said:

I wish I could loosen a bolt to get more drips. :wink:

Just now, RogueTwo said:

Nope, not congratulating them (even though it is impressive).  :grin:

Forget about the NDAs, I want DA!  (sorry, that was a really bad pun)

?

Just now, Salix said:

I wish I could loosen a bolt to get more drips. :wink:

I think they put Mario on the case ? We need to send Bowser in.

Edited by BacktoBricks