Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, PotterMinifigPals said:

I called LEGO up to see if I could cancel the order yesterday and the employee said the set was never in stock, the listing was actually for a back order which they never listed. She said they’ve got many complaints about the website and that it won’t ship for another 1-2 weeks. I’m waiting to here back to see if it got cancelled and managed to find all the sets in a small toy store yesterday. Target’s also got them listed online at 20% as part of their Toy Sale at the moment.

Wow that’s amazing! I wish my Kmart actually stocked the sets on release rather than a week later. I did a click and collect for two of them from Target to get the deal and also bought two at full price from a small toy store cause I couldn’t wait to get them open and build. Might keep the second sealed and hold onto that.

Yeah, I got a lot of money tied up in LEGO I don't have right now. Lol. Surprisingly we had most of the Harry Potter sets here in Burnie, Tasmania on the 1st or 2nd of July. And I got a bit peed off with Amazon listing the sets 1st June and not sending them til July. So I went ahead and bought all my Amazon sets again and i'm just going to return the sets straight bay to Amazon with the free returns. I actually requested to have two of the sets cancelled 4 days ago and they still sent it yesterday. So I don't feel bad.

I've also got my Burrow order same as you with LEGO. I put in a cancellation request several days ago and haven't heard anything. I wanted to have a Harry Potter build party with my wife last night so I drove 40km to Devonport to pick up the Burrow! :-) So at this stage I figure if LEGO cancels the order then I get my money back and it's all easy, but if they send it... I might naughtily return the set to Kmart! :-) I don't feel bad as Kmart has just got $500 off me in the last day or so, so they can do me a small favour! :-D

But yay!!! Finally got to build them all last night! :-D Bit bummed I missed the $109 at Kmart for the Burrow. Thought that was their price, didn't realise it was going to change. Lol.

Just thought I'd share for those who don't have any MOC"Ability" like myself how the current Hogwarts sets plus the 4th Edition Hogwarts (4842), Hogwarts (4867) and Freeing Dobby (4736) can actually come together to make a pretty decent imaginging of the original Hogwarts Castle. Other than moving segments around, the only points that have had adjustments are connection points to either add or adjust connections to match up. :-)

https://ibb.co/CtBJpcF
https://ibb.co/Xkytr6k

The room of requerment even connected everything quite nicely into a neat little courtyard. :-)

1 hour ago, chris6507 said:

Just thought I'd share for those who don't have any MOC"Ability" like myself how the current Hogwarts sets plus the 4th Edition Hogwarts (4842), Hogwarts (4867) and Freeing Dobby (4736) can actually come together to make a pretty decent imaginging of the original Hogwarts Castle. Other than moving segments around, the only points that have had adjustments are connection points to either add or adjust connections to match up. :-)

https://ibb.co/CtBJpcF
https://ibb.co/Xkytr6k

The room of requerment even connected everything quite nicely into a neat little courtyard. :-)

Wow that looks really good

i have something similar. Although I noticed that you didn’t use the dumbledore’s office from the 2010. I use that as well although the clock tower had one.

11 minutes ago, Tommy269 said:

Wow that looks really good

i have something similar. Although I noticed that you didn’t use the dumbledore’s office from the 2010. I use that as well although the clock tower had one.

I'd love to see your arrangement too if you get the chance! :-)

Am I the only one that thinks the older Hogwarts style just doesn’t look good with the new one? No offense to anyone’s MOCs, they’re very well done, I just don’t think the styles mix

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Am I the only one that thinks the older Hogwarts style just doesn’t look good with the new one? No offense to anyone’s MOCs, they’re very well done, I just don’t think the styles mix

It doesn't look great. But I personally prefer having things feel a bit more complete even with the style conflict rather than the long very incorrect layout that LEGO proposes. I unfortunately don't have the creativity or money to complete my sets as amazing as @Whovastron (very jealous by the way). But yeah, basically I've just been trying to make a complete as possible castle with existing LEGO sets. :-) Hoping when I can be bothered that I can replace some of the sand green parts with dark bluish gray in the future, but Bricklink is a bit dicey at the minute due to all the shipping prices and issues.

May I ask just out of curiosity what aspect you specifically don't think looks good? Is it the overall style difference? Or is it mainly the mismatch of colours? Genuinely curious! :-D

Hi everyone! Just popping in to say I was able to get the “Magical Treasury” book a bit early thanks to a bookstore near me being lenient w the release date! I can honestly say I was very impressed w the quality and content of the book, despite only buying it to obtain the Tom Riddle figure. The 2020 wave is very well represented in the book, and there is also a very interesting behind the scenes look at how some of the sets were made as well as a complete list of all minifigures (so far) in the current (starting with 2018) iteration of the theme. Unfortunately, as we know, I can confirm there are no pictures from the D2C Diagon Alley, the new advent calendar, or the cmf series. Not even so much as a hint of whats to come in the behind the scenes pages! Sorry to be the bearer of mediocre news lol, but I hope my post is helpful to anyone who’s on the fence on deciding to buy the book or not! It was well worth my $20 imo!

2 hours ago, m0repotter said:

Hi everyone! Just popping in to say I was able to get the “Magical Treasury” book a bit early thanks to a bookstore near me being lenient w the release date! I can honestly say I was very impressed w the quality and content of the book, despite only buying it to obtain the Tom Riddle figure. The 2020 wave is very well represented in the book, and there is also a very interesting behind the scenes look at how some of the sets were made as well as a complete list of all minifigures (so far) in the current (starting with 2018) iteration of the theme. Unfortunately, as we know, I can confirm there are no pictures from the D2C Diagon Alley, the new advent calendar, or the cmf series. Not even so much as a hint of whats to come in the behind the scenes pages! Sorry to be the bearer of mediocre news lol, but I hope my post is helpful to anyone who’s on the fence on deciding to buy the book or not! It was well worth my $20 imo!

Interesting. I was always planning on getting the book because I have the original visual dictionary from the old line. Cool to know it’s good quality. Does the book reference the original line at all?

Or contain pictures of those sets 

2 hours ago, Tommy269 said:

Interesting. I was always planning on getting the book because I have the original visual dictionary from the old line. Cool to know it’s good quality. Does the book reference the original line at all?

Or contain pictures of those sets 

AshnFlash’s video will tell you that. Essentially, no lol

6 hours ago, chris6507 said:

It doesn't look great. But I personally prefer having things feel a bit more complete even with the style conflict rather than the long very incorrect layout that LEGO proposes. I unfortunately don't have the creativity or money to complete my sets as amazing as @Whovastron (very jealous by the way). But yeah, basically I've just been trying to make a complete as possible castle with existing LEGO sets. :-) Hoping when I can be bothered that I can replace some of the sand green parts with dark bluish gray in the future, but Bricklink is a bit dicey at the minute due to all the shipping prices and issues.

May I ask just out of curiosity what aspect you specifically don't think looks good? Is it the overall style difference? Or is it mainly the mismatch of colours? Genuinely curious! :-D

The color difference, the angled roof style, and the blockier building style of the older sets just throw me off

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

The color difference, the angled roof style, and the blockier building style of the older sets just throw me off

And the buildings are a lot less detailed and not necessarily in the same scale too :laugh: Moreover, some parts of previous Hogwarts renditions (e.g. everything in the 2010 Hogwarts minus the Great Hall) seem either made-up or don‘t resemble their movie counterparts all that much. It never bothered me back in the day, but the new sets do a much better job at... well, everything :grin:

2 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

And the buildings are a lot less detailed and not necessarily in the same scale too :laugh: Moreover, some parts of previous Hogwarts renditions (e.g. everything in the 2010 Hogwarts minus the Great Hall) seem either made-up or don‘t resemble their movie counterparts all that much. It never bothered me back in the day, but the new sets do a much better job at... well, everything :grin:

Yeah, I agree with this for sure. I LOVE the 2010-2011 sets as they’re the most nostalgic from my childhood and never had an issue with them as a kid or even now. The new sets just try so much harder to give us new things and more accurate designs and I really appreciate the love and attention poured into this theme, which is why when little things fall short of expectations like reused faces it doesn’t bother me too much. The only gripe I have with the reboot is the unprinted dress pieces on figures that really need printing. 

The styles are definitely different. But LEGO has come a long way since 2010-2011. New pieces, new techniques, new hair pieces and accessories. So I think that both eras do/did a good job of representing the theme. I think that display above looks really good. Especially the use of the 2011 Hogwarts as the Bell Towers.

3 hours ago, Tariq j said:

The styles are definitely different. But LEGO has come a long way since 2010-2011. New pieces, new techniques, new hair pieces and accessories. So I think that both eras do/did a good job of representing the theme. I think that display above looks really good. Especially the use of the 2011 Hogwarts as the Bell Towers.

I also think that the look out tower from 2010 works as well because it doesn't have the green roof. And all the rooms haven't been recreated in the newer wave.

22 hours ago, m0repotter said:

While I don’t go back repeatedly to the books I buy(which is at about 5 or 6 from a few different themes) I always do enjoy looking through them & reading them. I think they’re worth it as well. 

8 hours ago, Vindicare said:

While I don’t go back repeatedly to the books I buy(which is at about 5 or 6 from a few different themes) I always do enjoy looking through them & reading them. I think they’re worth it as well. 

I buy them for the figure and then my 3 year old gets to keep the books and he loves looking through them so it’s a win/win

8 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I buy them for the figure and then my 3 year old gets to keep the books and he loves looking through them so it’s a win/win

Definitely buy them for the minifigs, but at least the books aren’t awful. :tongue: I know I could always just buy them online, but as I get mine from B&N I usually wait for a coupon & end up getting 30% off. Not going to wait on this one though, I want it too much to wait. Just hoping a coupon comes by Tuesday morning.

How long do people think this Harry Potter line will last. As in, do you think it will be an evergreen theme or it will end in 2 years. Or 3 years. I hope it doesn’t turn into Star Wars. With 70 sets a year and repeats of every set even though they are missing so many scenes.

24 minutes ago, Tommy9 said:

How long do people think this Harry Potter line will last. As in, do you think it will be an evergreen theme or it will end in 2 years. Or 3 years. I hope it doesn’t turn into Star Wars. With 70 sets a year and repeats of every set even though they are missing so many scenes.

I don’t think there’s any risk of Harry Potter becoming like Star Wars anytime soon, since we’ve only been getting one regular wave of 6-7 sets a year. There’s little risk of it getting the over saturation that Star Wars has. As for how long the theme will continue - we’re definitely safe for next year, since that will be when they cover the Deathly Hallows movies on top of being the 20th anniversary of the first film (which will cause a hype for merchandise even if Lego doesn’t go out of their way to do something special). Beyond that, Fantastic Beasts should continue until at least 2025 (possibly longer depending on how the human malware affects filming), so there’s conceivably a reason to continue that long, and Harry Potter definitely has the material to do so (there’s already well over a dozen sets that Lego has ‘skipped over’ making in this run of the theme - and that’s just comparing it to the original run and not counting other scenes that have never been made before). Hard to say whether it will ever be evergreen, I guess it depends if Harry Potter itself remains popular. 

I know it's been touched on before but what other accessory packs would people like to see LEGO make?  I love that they've given an easy opportunity to get all the house uniforms and hope we get similar sets in the future.  My favourites would be (assuming that LEGO would reuse some figures):

House ghosts - Nearly Headless Nick, Bloody Baron, Fat Friar and Grey Lady

Death eaters - Bellatrix, Lucius, Yaxley, Dolohov

Order members - Sirius (OotP attire), Lupin, Tonks, Mundungus

I think the house ghosts in particular would be great additions to a Hogwarts display, if we're getting carried away maybe LEGO could include a Peeves rather than a side build.  I know it wouldn't be screen accurate but he's one of the best characters in the books.

4 minutes ago, Yope said:

I know it's been touched on before but what other accessory packs would people like to see LEGO make?  I love that they've given an easy opportunity to get all the house uniforms and hope we get similar sets in the future.  My favourites would be (assuming that LEGO would reuse some figures):

House ghosts - Nearly Headless Nick, Bloody Baron, Fat Friar and Grey Lady

Death eaters - Bellatrix, Lucius, Yaxley, Dolohov

Order members - Sirius (OotP attire), Lupin, Tonks, Mundungus

I think the house ghosts in particular would be great additions to a Hogwarts display, if we're getting carried away maybe LEGO could include a Peeves rather than a side build.  I know it wouldn't be screen accurate but he's one of the best characters in the books.

The problem with these accessory packs is the very limited amount of new prints, most of them don't have more than 1 new figure for example so most things we can come up with (unless it's some kind of battlepack like the Hogwarts Students pack) aren't within the realm of possibility

8 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

The problem with these accessory packs is the very limited amount of new prints [...]

Good point :thumbup: I think the only realistic option for another pack would be a Quidditch-based set, which would only require two new prints. The players themselves could be a combination of prominent and generic characters. I think this is what most people who were interested in a students pack would have picked as their #2 choice anyway. 

@Yope: I like your suggestions, but in my opinion, most of these characters would be better suited for sets and/or a CMF series rather than a pack like this :classic: Or a Bricktober set, if they still existed (damn private equity vultures!)

43 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Good point :thumbup: I think the only realistic option for another pack would be a Quidditch-based set, which would only require two new prints. The players themselves could be a combination of prominent and generic characters. I think this is what most people who were interested in a students pack would have picked as their #2 choice anyway. 

I would love a Quidditch student pack as a way to get Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw quidditch players. I love the soft capes that came with the current quidditch players and I think they'd look great in yellow and blue on Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw players. It would be so cool to have all the houses for the first time.

I wonder if we'll ever get a modular series of sets with which you could make a full quidditch pitch like you could make a football stadium ~20 years ago. One set could be a tower, one for each house. One set could be the three goals. One set with Madam Hooch with the chest and the items used in a game (snitch, bludger, etc.). And finally a set of each house team.

Or perhaps they could make a full quidditch pitch set with everything listed above included.

Perhaps I should just buy the current quidditch set again and bricklink pieces for 8 more towers to get a full quidditch pitch.

I wonder if there's a chance the remake of the current quidditch set could feature Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw students instead.

@Salix: Don’t get me wrong, I like Quidditch sets as much as the next guy, but it’d be a waste of set slots if they spread it out like that. I doubt that even the most hardcore fans would spend much money on that if you can easily get all the essentials in one set :laugh:

Btw, since we’re getting closer every day, what do you think the order of the official reveals will be for our three remaining products this year? Officially, they’re all released in September, but it wouldn’t make such sense to reveal them all at once since it’s not really a wave of sets in the strictest sense. Moreover, D2C sets and CMF series are usually promoted by individual high-profile announcements, so I would expect TLG to spread them out a bit. My guess would be: 

- Advent Calendar: this or next week

- CMF series: in two weeks

- D2C: in three weeks