Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

1 minute ago, Guyon2002 said:

Depends on what leaks you're referring to. There are leaks that everyone gets to see (and get posted on legoleaks) but sometimes there are leaked setpictures that don't end up there. I saw the Expecto Patronum set about a week before the reveal

Oh, forgot about that one. Still though, I don't think any of the other 2018 sets were leaked, and I know none of the other 5 2019 sets were. (And when I refer to leaks, I do mean them being posted where anyone can see them, as I'm pretty sure that's what most people want.)

Just now, Huigberts Builds said:

I also want some printed tiles for the floor patern in Gringotts, that would really add to the interior. As I think the previous interiors were always leaving things a little bit too much to the imagination. Most other things have already been mentioned.

That's actually a really good idea, and would be a great use of a print. Yeah, as much as I love the 2011 Gringotts, the interior left a LOT to be desired.

29 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

I don't know. Out of the 14 retail sets we've had so far, the only ones to leak early were Aragog and the Knight Bus, both of which were revealed very shortly after. That's an 86% success rate of not leaking.

Not true, all of them leaked early last year. It was only a couple days before the reveal but they still leaked. I remember the blurry images

Just now, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Not true, all of them leaked early last year. It was only a couple days before the reveal but they still leaked. I remember the blurry images

It was a lot less than a couple days. I distinctly remember seeing the leaked pictures for the first time that morning, driving to a restaurant for a lunch meet-up, and the official images being out when I got there. The only one that was out a few days before it's official reveal was the Knight Bus.

Just now, Retro Brick Reviews said:

It was a lot less than a couple days. I distinctly remember seeing the leaked pictures for the first time that morning, driving to a restaurant for a lunch meet-up, and the official images being out when I got there. The only one that was out a few days before it's official reveal was the Knight Bus.

Maybe it was the same day, sorry if I got that wrong but I know they all leaked right before the reveal. Your point still stands that HP sets don’t seem to leak as easily as other themes though. Part of it is probably leakers not wanting to risk releasing the images before the reveal anymore. Obviously some people have seen the images already and just aren’t willing to post them, for good reason. Still, I hope some daring soul caves before long this year

Maybe a hint toward the Leaky Cauldron?

Just now, spiderfan2000 said:

Not sure what that hint could mean.  The Vanishing Cabinet perhaps?

Vanishing Cabinet is a good guess!

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Why Luna? I'd change out Hermione or Harry in a heartbeat, especially Harry

I think it's important to have at least 1 full golden trio wearing costumes from the same scene for each wave. For wave 1 we had them all wearing Hogwarts robes and for wave 2 we had them all wearing the casual POA costumes, and Ule Ball outfits.

For wave 3 our only options are Hogwarts robes and main casual wear for both the fifth and sixth films. Ron doesn't come in any OOTP sets so we can't get his costume from that movie. The only way we could get Harry and Hermionie in their HBP casual wear would be if they were included in the Burrow set which I at least really hope isn't the case because that's our best opportunity to get more Weasleys. This leaves Hogwarts robes as the only option. Plus I think having the trio in this age range wearing robes is essential anyway because it's those versions of the trio that have been in the upper right corners of the box since the first wave of the reboot. 

So obviously the robed Ron can appear in the AT set but Harry and Hermionie have to appear elsewhere, and if they're sticking to film continuity the only option is the ROR set which is why I don't mind them being there.

Luna on the other hand doesn't particularly need to have a Hogwarts robed variant in this wave (I wouldn't mind waiting a few more years for this variant considering we already have 3 versions of her in the reboot).  Plus the robed version of her has a new unique torso so it isn't useful for just getting more ravenclaw torsos in general. I would easily replace her for a figure of Padma Patil so we could still get another Ravenclaw torso (a repeat of Cho Chang's) and a new faceprint (instead of Luna's torso print) which could potentially be reused for a Ule Ball version of Padma in the advent calendar. Hopefully I have now appropriately explained my desire to remove Luna from the ROR but keep Harry/Hermionie. 

Personally though if I was given free range to change whatever I wanted about the mini figures in every set (and I had the budget to do so) I would make the Harry and Hermionie figures in the forbidden forest set wear their Hogwarts robes instead of the accurate casual OOTP costumes (that way we don't need to include them in the ROR). I would then move the robed Ron from the AT into the ROR, this not only makes a figure of Ron at this age available in a set under $100 but it also frees up space to include Zambini in the AT set. This leaves us with 2 more D.A. members to add to the ROR so I would throw in Padma and Hannah Abbot or Ernie Macmillan. That way we get both another ravenclaw and another hufflepuff student. I'm sure it would be quite expensive for LEGO to make all of these new figures that casual fans wouldn't be very interested in and that (along with making the forbidden forest set inaccurate) is probably why we've gotten what we have. 

Sorry for writing such a lengthy post but I'm sure some of you don't mind a diversion from the usual Diagon alley speculation while we all wait for these sets to be revealed in a few weeks.

Just now, MaxHeadroom said:

I would easily replace her for a figure of Padma Patil so we could still get another Ravenclaw torso (a repeat of Cho Chang's) and a new faceprint (instead of Luna's torso print) which could potentially be reused for a Ule Ball version of Padma in the advent calendar. 

Personally though if I was given free range to change whatever I wanted about the mini figures in every set (and I had the budget to do so) I would make the Harry and Hermionie figures in the forbidden forest set wear their Hogwarts robes instead of the accurate casual OOTP costumes (that way we don't need to include them in the ROR). I would then move the robed Ron from the AT into the ROR, this not only makes a figure of Ron at this age available in a set under $100 but it also frees up space to include Zambini in the AT set. This leaves us with 2 more D.A. members to add to the ROR so I would throw in Padma and Hannah Abbot or Ernie Macmillan. That way we get both another ravenclaw and another hufflepuff student. I'm sure it would be quite expensive for LEGO to make all of these new figures that casual fans wouldn't be very interested in and that (along with making the forbidden forest set inaccurate) is probably why we've gotten what we have. 

Don't forget the Patil sisters are both Gryffindors in the films so that wouldn't really work. And I personally wouldn't remove Ron from the Astronomy Tower because that would make Lavenders inclusion look very weird. I do agree about your Harry/Hermione suggestion for the Grawp set though.

16 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

I think it's important to have at least 1 full golden trio wearing costumes from the same scene for each wave. For wave 1 we had them all wearing Hogwarts robes and for wave 2 we had them all wearing the casual POA costumes, and Ule Ball outfits.

For wave 3 our only options are Hogwarts robes and main casual wear for both the fifth and sixth films. Ron doesn't come in any OOTP sets so we can't get his costume from that movie. The only way we could get Harry and Hermionie in their HBP casual wear would be if they were included in the Burrow set which I at least really hope isn't the case because that's our best opportunity to get more Weasleys. This leaves Hogwarts robes as the only option. Plus I think having the trio in this age range wearing robes is essential anyway because it's those versions of the trio that have been in the upper right corners of the box since the first wave of the reboot. 

So obviously the robed Ron can appear in the AT set but Harry and Hermionie have to appear elsewhere, and if they're sticking to film continuity the only option is the ROR set which is why I don't mind them being there.

Luna on the other hand doesn't particularly need to have a Hogwarts robed variant in this wave (I wouldn't mind waiting a few more years for this variant considering we already have 3 versions of her in the reboot).  Plus the robed version of her has a new unique torso so it isn't useful for just getting more ravenclaw torsos in general. I would easily replace her for a figure of Padma Patil so we could still get another Ravenclaw torso (a repeat of Cho Chang's) and a new faceprint (instead of Luna's torso print) which could potentially be reused for a Ule Ball version of Padma in the advent calendar. Hopefully I have now appropriately explained my desire to remove Luna from the ROR but keep Harry/Hermionie. 

Sorry for writing such a lengthy post but I'm sure some of you don't mind a diversion from the usual Diagon alley speculation while we all wait for these sets to be revealed in a few weeks.

I feel like you're giving kinda mixed messages... You want Harry, Ron and Hermione to have a "matching" set of clothes from each film, as though you're trying to make it film accurate, but then you want them to wear the wrong clothes for a given scene in a given set?

It makes sense that they'll have Harry, Ron and Hermione in as many sets as possible because they're the main characters that kids will want to play with. But I'd much rather have a variety of characters from a variety of scenes personally, rather than every one having a Harry - like how Beauxbaton's Carriage didn't have any of the trio.

Edited by sammy_zammy

I’m not sure why everyone is always surprised at LEGO reusing CMF prints as if they haven’t been doing that since 2017 with the LEGO Batman Movie. 

8 minutes ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I’m not sure why everyone is always surprised at LEGO reusing CMF prints as if they haven’t been doing that since 2017 with the LEGO Batman Movie. 

Exactly. I think people are just used to series 1 where everything was brand new but that’s really just because it came out alongside the first wave of the rebooted theme. There are bound to be overlaps now

11 minutes ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

Actually, it's more surprising when they don't reuse them, as in last year's HP sets where reused CFM head prints would have made a lot of sense (for Cedric & Dumbledore especially).

As the Privet Drive set is based on a scene that doesn’t feature in it’s respective movie, are there any other sets of this kind?

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

Actually, it's more surprising when they don't reuse them, as in last year's HP sets where reused CFM head prints would have made a lot of sense (for Cedric & Dumbledore especially).

no it isn't. cmf prints gets made in a limited quantity then is out of production fairly quick. 

Just now, RedHoodPug said:

As the Privet Drive set is based on a scene that doesn’t feature in it’s respective movie, are there any other sets of this kind?

what do you mean? its based on the Ford scene and Dobby visiting. from movie 2

the fireplace and under the stairs are just features of the house. and extrase based on other films. thats common enough

Just now, RedHoodPug said:

For some reason my brain has a very hard time understanding this question *huh* But if you meant wether or not Privet Drive is the only set based off a movie that isn't one of the ''featured movies'' of the year, this year being OotP and HBP, then it's not the only one. We got a PoA Hogwarts Express in 2018, which was the PS and CoS year

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

For some reason my brain has a very hard time understanding this question *huh* But if you meant wether or not Privet Drive is the only set based off a movie that isn't one of the ''featured movies'' of the year, this year being OotP and HBP, then it's not the only one. We got a PoA Hogwarts Express in 2018, which was the PS and CoS year

I can see them leaning more in this direction from now on, if only for the sake of variety.

A question for you all: do you think this theme will go on for many years like the original (well I guess it had a big break and then randomly the OotP castle, but let's say it was around for about 5 years) or do you think it'll be short like in 2010/11?

This could be the last wave we get for all we know, but I've seen a lot of speculation on 7, 8, 9 parts of the castle modular. I really hope this is a long-continuing theme with how popular it is, as it'd allow us to get a fully fleshed-out world. Maybe they'd even go the Star Wars route of rereleasing sets every few years for people who missed out (I guess this theme is for people who missed out already!).

I think at least next year will have a proper release like last year had. beyond that im not sure. Fantastic beasts films will return so Lego might make some set(s) for that and at the same time surely add maybe 1 potter set.

But after next year potter might have had its solid revival completed.

If sales keep being very good for them and they dont feel the market is saturated,  thers no need to stop.  Who knows what other franchises lego might attempt in the future though.

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

Don't forget the Patil sisters are both Gryffindors in the films so that wouldn't really work. And I personally wouldn't remove Ron from the Astronomy Tower because that would make Lavenders inclusion look very weird. I do agree about your Harry/Hermione suggestion for the Grawp set though.

I thought of that too but apparently Padma was a ravenclaw in the final film and she's a ravenclaw in the LEGO video games. So I guess her being a ravenclaw is cannon in LEGO. 

20 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

A question for you all: do you think this theme will go on for many years like the original (well I guess it had a big break and then randomly the OotP castle, but let's say it was around for about 5 years) or do you think it'll be short like in 2010/11?

I don't think this theme will go anywhere anytime soon. It sells too well, Lego must be crazy to end it already. I'm sure there will be at least 2 other years of new sets before they can remake a few of them, and there's still Fantastic Beasts for a couple of years. And there are also mobile games they could base tons of sets on if they're running out of ideas.

Just now, Huigberts Builds said:

I don't think this theme will go anywhere anytime soon. It sells too well, Lego must be crazy to end it already. I'm sure there will be at least 2 other years of new sets before they can remake a few of them, and there's still Fantastic Beasts for a couple of years. And there are also mobile games they could base tons of sets on if they're running out of ideas.

Does that mean it sold less well in the first reboot then? I guess it was because there was no new movie, whereas now all that was needed was Fantastic Beasts to initiate the nostalgia.

27 minutes ago, deskp said:

I think at least next year will have a proper release like last year had. beyond that im not sure. Fantastic beasts films will return so Lego might make some set(s) for that and at the same time surely add maybe 1 potter set.

But after next year potter might have had its solid revival completed.

If sales keep being very good for them and they dont feel the market is saturated,  thers no need to stop.  Who knows what other franchises lego might attempt in the future though.

Yeah, this is what I'm expecting. I think they can do a solid selection of key scenes with this approach though.

11 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

Does that mean it sold less well in the first reboot then? I guess it was because there was no new movie, whereas now all that was needed was Fantastic Beasts to initiate the nostalgia.

I'm not sure how well it sold back then. I thought they only released that wave to coincide with the last 2 movies and didn't have any plans afterwards because the franchise was done. Since then the children who watched these movies have become adults with their own money to spend, and Lego noticed the rising demand of new sets as it quickly became one of the most requested themes. I think quite a few things have changed since the last time. Mostly it has been proven that the franchise has staying power after the books and movies ended and that it wasn't simply another hype.

Edited by Huigberts Builds