Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

58 minutes ago, kirkwoodproductions said:

I've bricklinked enough of the 2018-20 uniforms to not be too bothered by the new ones. Think I'll give them to my custom Percy and Penelope Clearwater to represent wearing prefect badges.

Oh that's a very good idea. Will do that as well :laugh:

Ooooh I really love the sets!

Is the front page printed? *oh2*

They are all lovley on their on way. I love Seamus new faceprint. I really like the new torsos for the herbology class, I can stop collecting Neville from cmf 1 for the torsos now haha.. McGonagall looks good to, but I don't a big fan of her faceprint. Flitwick looks awesome, I love that the beard even looks good on his neck, is it a new mold?

The stickers looks good to. Even If I'm not a fan of stickers in general, I still can see some useful ones.

Hard to tell witch one is my favourite, the Herbology class have the most useful pieces to me. The transfiguration class dont interesting me that much. Probably because it have both Hermione and Ron in it, haha.

1 hour ago, FrkW said:

Pictures up on the site now, too. Maybe slightly less value for money in Sweden, to be honest. This theme is killing me... 

The swedish price suprised me as well.. 349 kr would be a better price for these set. Oh well, I'm going to pick them up anyways but not for the retail price. 

Just now, Crookshanks said:

Flitwick looks awesome, I love that the beard even looks good on his neck, is it a new mold?

It's a recolor of the beard piece made for Dwalin and Dain from the The Hobbit sets

If the MBOM is a promo for these then I will buy the wave, otherwise I will skip these or at least wait until they are heavily discounted and I have enough money set aside to buy all of the summer 2021 sets I care about.

If these torsos are specifically designed as a throwback to the previous version of the theme just in these sets as a one and done thing then that’s fine, I really like the idea in fact. But if this will be the design going forward then that will be really frustrating since we’ve all collected the 2018-2020 version for each House, which is far more accurate anyway

Just now, Balrogofmorgoth said:

If these torsos are specifically designed as a throwback to the previous version of the theme just in these sets as a one and done thing then that’s fine, I really like the idea in fact. But if this will be the design going forward then that will be really frustrating since we’ve all collected the 2018-2020 version for each House, which is far more accurate anyway

I agree with this. It also really annoys me that the new Gryffindor torso appears 4 times but none of the sets has a Hufflepuff torso :ugh:

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Is that year 3 Cedric?!

Again, another figure not based on the movies but the books!

(Man they really love Cedric)

Maybe one, or more, of the designers was heavy on the “Team Edward” train...:laugh:

The torso changes are another poor decision from Lego, potentially making previous incarnations of the uniform redundant (plus no Hufflepuff). Easy to say just switch them or buy the Students set but that is currently £22 on Amazon. Whoever designs these sets needs to start considering the customer and I hope they read this forum. We also have to wait for further sets to see which is going to be the official way forward. Very annoying and something that could have been easily avoided.

Fun to see these releases and I hope everyone enjoys them if they get them! Some very nice stickers (even though they are just stickers), printed pieces, and I love a lot of the furniture builds! I’m working on a moc “Hogwarts College” using pieces from HP sets. I was really excited to see if the combo of the pieces and minis would be enough to justify buying each for the price and getting some VIP points but...for me, there isn’t enough value. For now, I’m going see about finding the furniture and printed pieces I want on bricklink after release.

I was also really excited about using one or two of the big book cover plates as floor pieces for my moc college because they look like they could pass for nicely-designed tile/stone flooring, but the curbed attachments made that less feasible. I completely understand why that piece was built the way it was, but a missed opportunity for my purposes at least for making a piece more interoperable.

Long hair looks to cover up the updated torso badge (not a fan but fine if it's just a 20th Anniversary tribute) - so Cho should look fine next to other Ravenclaw as her hairpiece covers it. I don't think there is a Slytherin with similar hair, but for Gryffindor maybe Ginny's hair will do. 

I love those ear muff pieces in the Greenhouse set. Really like these sets. There do seem to be quite a few stickers but given the size of these they couldn’t have had too much inside them. 

2 hours ago, Ferder said:

Anyone have any thoughts how these could be modded to attach to the ongoing modular Hogwarts line? I wonder if the rooms can stand up on their own without being attached to their books (though the books do work well as walls, at least from one side)

I’ve been thinking about that as well. I think if you removed the “book wall” section you could probably attach the brick built walls to the existing castle. (Going off the top off my head there so I don’t know whether the measurements will line up).

76384-1.jpg

I wonder whose job it is to go through all the dark tan wands and pull one off the sprue before packaging the sets!

The new book cover piece is cool; I wonder if they might make the seven HP books themselves if these sell well. Maybe it's too obvious, but making the seven books (with a key scene in each one) would be awesome.

Man I really like the transfiguration, charms and potions classrooms, I’m just not thaat pumped about the minifigures even though we’re getting some updates. Snape’s new torso though... that’s an odd update.

46 minutes ago, Felkin said:

The new book cover piece is cool; I wonder if they might make the seven HP books themselves if these sell well. Maybe it's too obvious, but making the seven books (with a key scene in each one) would be awesome.

Imagine Order of the Phoenix with Umbridge’s office. I’d buy that. Though I’d really love a book like these for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - as in, the actual book that Newt wrote in-universe, not the movie. 
These books are cute but a bit useless, and I also really hope that the new torsos aren’t the new normal. Though that idea about using them as Prefect badges is smart, I might steal that. That said, if this is normal now it doesn’t bother me much, I still have the old torsos from the 2010 set run (when I was a kid) and I’m using them interchangeably to pad my Hogwarts student body. Love the new versions of McGonagall and Flitwick, and Sprout has dual-moulded legs yay! Kinda dropped the ball on Snape though
Also they really love Cho huh . . 
That said, even though IMO the Slytherin set is the weakest of these, it’s also the most useful for my Hogwarts - which desperately needs dungeons and a Slytherin common room. So I might get that one. As for the other three, I’m conflicted because there are things I like about each of them, but if I get any of them it’ll probably be Ravenclaw for all those books and the lovely furniture. (And bearded Flitwick.)

16 minutes ago, Otherworld said:

Man I really like the transfiguration, charms and potions classrooms, I’m just not thaat pumped about the minifigures even though we’re getting some updates. Snape’s new torso though... that’s an odd update.

Is it just me or does he sorta look like the Penguin?

1 hour ago, MAB said:

I wonder whose job it is to go through all the dark tan wands and pull one off the sprue before packaging the sets!

I saw that too and looked at the other sets to see if they really are splitting sprues now, but I think it's just an error. The wands in the Gryffindor set have also got a lovely two toned marble effect going on. I do wonder who checks these things before they are uploaded. :facepalm:

1 hour ago, BacktoBricks said:

I saw that too and looked at the other sets to see if they really are splitting sprues now, but I think it's just an error. The wands in the Gryffindor set have also got a lovely two toned marble effect going on. I do wonder who checks these things before they are uploaded. :facepalm:

The Dursley’s with wands in 4 Privet Drive say hello :wink:

Having said that, there must be someone/something that genuinely does that and puts them in minifig hands for the books and Bricktober packs. They must have an extreme case of Lego fingers!

3 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

Yes, it's a photoshopping error.

These sets are cute but they are a bit frustrating. I know the connection between the book theme and the class is the head of house but it would've been far more interesting if these classroom based sets had exteriors based on the class (advanced potions making for potions for example). Then maybe the house themed books could be saved for common rooms or something. 

The other thing is the new torso prints. If they're a permanent change then, why? It wouldn't make any sense but I won't worry about that right now until we know it's a permanent change.

I would guess this is just either a 20th anniversary thing or something to make the figures in these sets slightly more desirable and exciting. This issue of course being the lack of Hufflepuff torso. Maybe they wanted both figures in the herbology set to have robes or they could only afford one print, either way it makes things feel incomplete without a Hufflepuff torso. I appreciate that they tried to give us something new and exciting but as much as I love new prints I think this time they should've just reused the old prints.

The price of these books in my country is plain ridiculous. Either picking them up on sale or not picking them up at all. I like lego but this is too much. 

1 hour ago, Otherworld said:

The price of these books in my country is plain ridiculous. Either picking them up on sale or not picking them up at all. I like lego but this is too much. 

I know you need to take local economy and such into consideration, but for once, Australia is priced quite nicely. At a straight up currency conversion, it actually comes out a few cents cheaper than the USA prices. But I see what you mean. Again using current conversion rates, your prices are 20% higher. :-/

Personally I'm most excited about the newly coloured ear muffs in the hufflepuff set. I made a herbology Harry, Ron and Hermione from CMF Neville's but it's always bothered me that they didn't have ear muffs. Now I have a way of adding that to the figures. On the other side of it though, was really hoping we might get sprout without the earmuffs. But I guess you can't have everything.

Edited by chris6507

One thing about the new HP lego books I think is odd is this:

Cho is a year above Harry and Cedric is two years above Harry. I kind of understand as they wanted to have a student of the corresponding house (as well as the head of house).

My suggestions for different characters would be: Padma Patil from Ravenclaw (I know she was Gryffindor in the films but I don't care) and Justin Finch-Fletchley from Hufflepuff.

The latter especially I think would've worked perfectly as he features quite a lot in Chamber of Secrets, as he was one of the petrified students. (there's also a cool deleted scene where he introduces himself to Harry at Lockhart's dueling club).

Also, I never thought about it when the 2nd cmf came out, but Miriam Margolyes who played Professor Sprout is really short, so giving her full legs for the book set is a bit off, I'd say mid-legs or short legs would fit the character more. (the hair hat piece makes her even taller anyway).

13 hours ago, Crookshanks said:

The swedish price suprised me as well.. 349 kr would be a better price for these set. Oh well, I'm going to pick them up anyways but not for the retail price. 

They are expensive in Norway as well, so I will wait for a heavy discount before I buy them :def_shrug:

13 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I agree with this. It also really annoys me that the new Gryffindor torso appears 4 times but none of the sets has a Hufflepuff torso :ugh:

1 hour ago, (Insert Name Here) said:

One thing about the new HP lego books I think is odd is this:

Cho is a year above Harry and Cedric is two years above Harry. I kind of understand as they wanted to have a student of the corresponding house (as well as the head of house).

My suggestions for different characters would be: Padma Patil from Ravenclaw (I know she was Gryffindor in the films but I don't care) and Justin Finch-Fletchley from Hufflepuff.

If they were going to include students from different years anyway I would have prefer they only included Gryffindor students in one set. It is not like Harry is in every set anyway which is their "usual excuse" *huh*

I just realised Sprout is a new print, which seems pointless as the CMF is only about six months old. Unlike Snape which is shows him wearing his normal robes in the same way, Sprout's is just the same again. I'd like to see what's underneath the earmuffs on the Herbology robes, if anything, to see if the new prints have House markings on. 

A recolour of the piece used for Neville's first CMF hair would be great in black, reddish brown, dark orange, etc for the male students, and the Hidden Side girl for the female students. 

Using the new badges as Prefect badges is a great idea, if only there was a Hufflepuff one to complete the set! 

Is Cho's skin tone paler now? 

Overall I'm happy with these sets but the torsos are frustrating. I hope they're exclusive to these sets. 

Will be stealing the prefect idea someone posted a couple of pages back though. 

Honestly think there might be enough in here for me to justify 2 of each...