Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Has there been any discussion about how the WB license affects what they can make? I imagine that might also pose some restrictions on making book-only scenes/locations/character (unfortunately)

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

Not sure how that would work. Do you have specific scenes or locations in mind that didn‘t make it into the films? Personally, I can‘t think of anything important or set-worthy they left out :shrug_oh_well: Besides, LEGO sets based on a non-visual medium is a bit of a weird idea anyway :grin:

Something they could definetely do is recreate book-only characters using the same style/look of the movies (Peeves and Winky for example). I guess they could also do some classes like History of Magic and Divination with Firenze but that would require the designers to let their imaginations run rampant, which could either be really good or really bad as most people think of different things when reading the descriptions from the books :shrug_oh_well: But I doubt LEGO will ever venture into that area and, as you said, most of these possibilities are hardly set-worthy. 

Just now, GalacticHippo said:

Has there been any discussion about how the WB license affects what they can make? I imagine that might also pose some restrictions on making book-only scenes/locations/character (unfortunately)

I don't think we've ever discussed that but we also simply do not know what exactly is written down in that agreement. But WB preventing LEGO from making book-based sets could definetely be a possibility

That Hogwarts Mystery game is based on the movies, at least aesthetically, and gives us a look at Profs Binns, Tofty and Kettleburn, Peeves and Madam Puddifoot, as well as places like the HoM classroom. In the past, Lego has based some of it's SW figures on action figures (Hoth Han's blue parka for example), so if Lego did fancy throwing in a History of Magic module in a Hogwarts set in a hypothetical future set, they have an aesthetically relevant basis. 

The same may go for Hogwarts Legacy. Its important to note that these games aren't strictly Canon, but obviously Prof Binns is a Canon character so his appearance is an interpretation of Canon (as with all characters in the films). Both Hogwarts Legacy, Hogwarts Mystery as well as Wizards Unite are all Portkey/WB, so it's not outside the realms of possibility I suppose. 

AFAIK The Cursed Child isn't a WB property yet. Anyway, no matter what you think about any of these HP spin offs, we're probably getting a DHI and II wave next, and maybe some more FB, so not much use speculating about other material right now. 

Regarding the book stuff, I can't think of much that the films didn't include that would make a good set... 

16 minutes ago, Seaber said:

That Hogwarts Mystery game is based on the movies, at least aesthetically, and gives us a look at Profs Binns, Tofty and Kettleburn, Peeves and Madam Puddifoot, as well as places like the HoM classroom. In the past, Lego has based some of it's SW figures on action figures (Hoth Han's blue parka for example), so if Lego did fancy throwing in a History of Magic module in a Hogwarts set in a hypothetical future set, they have an aesthetically relevant basis. 

I'm not too fond of HM's design for Binns but I'd love to get a figure based on their Tofty. For some reason I always pictured him looking quite similar to F. Murray Abraham and, while not entirely accurate to Abraham, the HM design does get the point across :grin: For now I'd like them to just stick with the movies but if this theme continues past that I'd rather get a lot of sets based on Hogwarts Mystery, Hogwarts Legacy and even Cursed Child (let's face it, even though the story was crap there's definetely some cool sets that could be made. And Slytherin robes galore!) than a bunch of remakes :shrug_oh_well:

Wonder if they’d ever make minifigures from flashback scenes .. just finished my set of young marauders .. credit goes to @lego.boy_95 on Instagram where I took the inspiration to create my own set from .. love how these look ?

6 hours ago, Seaber said:

I believe Nearly Headless Nick has already been confirmed for Legacy, so a character like Peeves could be pretty likely to show up. I just hope they don't use the Hogarts Mystery design as it looks a little bit too soft. Personally I'm very nostalgic to the old Harry Potter pc/ps designs for Peeves. Which was also by Warner Bros. So I hope they take some inspiration if he makes an appearance. Not to mention that I would really like some Legacy sets. Doesn't sound too farfetched. They'll need some new inspiration anyway after next year if they wanna keep things interesting in the long run, there won't be too much left to do.

Is it just me or does McGonagall look like she’s wearing the new dress piece in the new clearer leaks? 

2 hours ago, Otherworld said:

Is it just me or does McGonagall look like she’s wearing the new dress piece in the new clearer leaks? 

I still don’t even see McGonagall. The glare is so bad even in the new pics you can barely make out a minifig let alone a dress piece.

On 10/9/2020 at 9:20 AM, GalacticHippo said:

In a interview with Bessa about the Diagon alley set he said that WB want the set based on the films. I'm guessing it's the same with the rest of the sets. I would love to have Binns though. 

Finally made my QQS edit! What do you guys think?

XCPAePs.jpg

Edited by Modal

15 hours ago, Otherworld said:

yes it does,  things like that can change before release though.  figures in the prelims seems to be a collection of already existing parts.

On 10/8/2020 at 11:58 PM, chris6507 said:

Just to let you know. You are actually comparing apples and oranges. :laugh: As far as i'm aware, the studio tour that you are seeing in the google maps is based on the latter movies, whereas for the most part. The diagon alley set is based on the first to movies. QQS is actually not too out of scale when compared to the correct movies. This is is a screen shot I grabbed a few months ago. https://ibb.co/GTQvdXF Basically the 1st 3 segments of Diagon Alley are all exactly in the correct order. The only thing that isn't correct is WWW, it is this one that has been incorrectly tacked onto the rest.

Hopefully this might help you, as personally I hated QQS and the way it looked initially until I saw it was actually very accurate to the source material. I now love it for how accurate it is, and as others have said before, the pink isn't as horrible and detracting in real life as it is in the pictures online.

Thank you for going to the trouble to capture/post/find that. You're right, it's a much better fit, and oddly that does make a difference for me. (Still can't warm to the pink, but that's another matter. :laugh:)

On 10/9/2020 at 9:21 AM, Guyon2002 said:

Something they could definetely do is recreate book-only characters using the same style/look of the movies (Peeves and Winky for example). I guess they could also do some classes like History of Magic and Divination with Firenze but that would require the designers to let their imaginations run rampant, which could either be really good or really bad as most people think of different things when reading the descriptions from the books :shrug_oh_well: 

Except they wouldn't have to do too much imagining, as most of the characters (and sets for that matter) were developed for the Lego HP games. (And I suspect there is plenty of overlap in the audiences.) They'd just have to decide if they're willing to stick with those designs or want to make changes. I was just contrasting the game version to the more recent minifig release of Nearly Headless Nick, and while it's clearly been updated and polished, you can still very clearly see its roots in the video game design. Fine, some need more than a little polishing (Peeves and probably Binns, for instance), but I'd be dead chuffed for that version of Pomfrey, wouldn't have to change a thing... Speaking of, that hat was never released, was it? I've scoured bricklink and didn't find anything comparable.

@Jarreth2 - like your young marauders. Got a giggle out of Sirius having Petunia's hair. :classic:

@Modal Nice mod! Instant improvement, and I like the way you interpreted the style. 

Wondering, has anyone tried mirroring the DA builds (Scribbulus / F&B, Daily Prophet / QQS)? WWW seems sort of the natural "destination" on the right the way the street is set up, and it feels like the putting the smaller buildings to the left instead of the right in their individual segments would help balance them a little. Alternatively, anyone good with photoshop? :laugh:

On 10/9/2020 at 4:48 PM, Guyon2002 said:

Yup, to quote the original post: "Hooch is the only event exclusive character that didn't receive an alternative way to get her''. 

Yes, I did see the original post.

There has been a lot of rain the last couple of weekends, so i have spent some of the time building the D2C Hogwarts and listening to HP books read by Stephen Fry. An excellent combination I must say :sweet:
I am not a fan of micro-scale builds, but I really enjoy building it and it looks great as well :thumbup:

I'll share my mod of Quality Quidditch Supplies as well! I just used the outward facing studs to attach an extra crooked floor for The Daily Prophet. It actually required no modification of the original structure except moving the sign.

20 minutes ago, droobles said:

I'll share my mod of Quality Quidditch Supplies as well! I just used the outward facing studs to attach an extra crooked floor for The Daily Prophet. It actually required no modification of the original structure except moving the sign

Looks nice! If I can make a suggestion: maybe you could replace some more pieces in your add-on with a different shade of brown? I feel like just a little more variation would really help it stand out!

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

Looks nice! If I can make a suggestion: maybe you could replace some more pieces in your add-on with a different shade of brown? I feel like just a little more variation would really help it stand out!

Good suggestion! This was definitely just hobbled together with my spare parts so I don't know if I have many more other types of brown that will fit in but I may dig for more... I think that is why I put those 1x1 dark brown cylinders in there. Anyway my biggest annoyance with the result is those two small black spots on the front - that is because those are the front of the hinges attaching to the wall.

I have a question for the group, Not just 2020 related - Which of the lego activity books had exclusive characters if any, or are they all in other sets as well? It seems like maybe the snape and the young voldermort

Edited by jwhitney
Clarification

13 minutes ago, jwhitney said:

I have a question for the group, Not just 2020 related - Which of the lego activity books had exclusive characters if any, or are they all in other sets as well? It seems like maybe the snape and the young voldermort

The only book-exclusive minifigure as of yet is Tom Riddle from the "Magical Treasury" book. None of the activity books have exclusive figures, though there is one that includes the sand green serpent that is otherwise only in 71043.

@Modal

looks great! I was planning on doing something similar. It definitely breaks up the pink and makes it feel like a separate building. Nice work on window detailing. I was thinking of going another way with it.

I may be one of the few but I really like the pink. I just think we can tweak it a little.

On 10/11/2020 at 12:49 AM, Modal said:

Finally made my QQS edit! What do you guys think?

Looks amazing!

Are there any characters that had been made in the former waves of sets that have not been made again in the new waves? I know Peeves is an obvious answer, but I wasnt sure if there were any others.