Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

31 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

So I checked bricklink. Ignoring the 111 heads with no date of issue, white pupil highlights go back as far as 1996. As for 2001, almost all of the HP figs have them, except Hagrid and maybe Dumbledore. (His pic isn't too clear.) 

I so need a greyscale jester's hat! :classic:

Dumbledore has em, as do all the CoS figures from the next year :)

Question: I remember a while back someone posting a picture of someone photoshopping different coloured Lego bricks on QQS of DA to see if it would look better than the hot pink. I'm saving up for DA but would want to swap out that hot pink for sand blue maybe. Anyone got that pic, or has modified QQS themselves and wants to show it? 

Edit: nvm, found the post I meant. Credits to MJSOL. Thoughts? I think I prefer the more muted colours of sand blue and grey - it's WWW that should stand out in the street, not QQS...

"I fooled around in Photoshop a bit to try to fix the infamous Pink Block, and it seems harder than imagined. Pink looks a lot better than a lot of them.  I think there is something i don't like in the build itself, it needs more than a change of color. For now the bests choices seems to be a kind of nougat.

Link to the edits https://imgur.com/a/O8224mu"

Edited by MooneyRemus
found the post

12 minutes ago, MooneyRemus said:

Question: I remember a while back someone posting a picture of someone photoshopping different coloured Lego bricks on QQS of DA to see if it would look better than the hot pink. I'm saving up for DA but would want to swap out that hot pink for sand blue maybe. Anyone got that pic, or has modified QQS themselves and wants to show it? 

Think you could try LDD.

27 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Think you could try LDD.

Then you'd have to build the entire building first and the other ones to see how it looks as a full street. And that's not even thinking about the fact LDD doesn't have a ton of parts released in later years. 

By far the easiest way to check is Photoshop or a substitute program.

Dang, we‘ve almost reached 700 pages! Has to be some sort of record :laugh: And us sweet summer children thought it would get quiet after the DA reveal :tongue:

9 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Dang, we‘ve almost reached 700 pages! Has to be some sort of record :laugh: And us sweet summer children thought it would get quiet after the DA reveal :tongue:

Well to be fair it did get fairly quiet in the weeks after DA

1 hour ago, MooneyRemus said:

Thoughts? I think I prefer the more muted colours of sand blue and grey - it's WWW that should stand out in the street, not QQS...

The blue, grey and olive are all *so* much better than the pink. In the original (never mind the fact QQS wasn't actually on that side of the street, and I swear they put it in to save parts vs. Wiseacre's (and because boys like brooms, apparently :tongue:)), QQS is much smaller. In the D.A. set, though, it's the only building that goes the full width, even WWW yields some of the width to the passageway to Knockturn Alley. The movie version of QQS also had bay windows that extended out from the building on the first floor (or second in the US). That broke up what there was of the pink, and the pink was also more subtle. (I really hate that in a set that's this expensive, I'm seriously calculating what it would cost additionally to swap out WWW's lilac (light grey I think) and QQS's pink (I'm leaning blue or olive).) 

One change that really helped a lot was @Micmac 's mod to the roofline. (on flickr (his instagram was even better, but I don't IG, so I'll let him provide the link)) That did wonders for the build. He's since built another version where he adjusted the size some, "abused" the stucco more and shifted the windows iirc, which helped with the pink. (I'm more partial to the first variation.) Loved the WWW changes, too. 

45 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

And that's not even thinking about the fact LDD doesn't have a ton of parts released in later years. 

Any idea how stud.io rates in comparison?

25 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Not quiet anymore...

Just looking at the QQS color swaps, I still think the Pink looks best and makes the set look more balanced. The pink looks much better irl as well, the pictures don’t do it justice. The WWW sticks out like a sore thumb without the pink, and really doesn’t look like a part of set. Also the red contrasts with the pink the best. I feel like people will start warming up to the pink once Gringott’s gets added, which would be another bright set to balance it out on the left. I think Legos plan was to put two drab buildings in between each of the brighter buildings to create cohesion.

Edited by RODDY

1 hour ago, RODDY said:

Just looking at the QQS color swaps, I still think the Pink looks best and makes the set look more balanced. The pink looks much better irl as well, the pictures don’t do it justice. The WWW sticks out like a sore thumb without the pink, and really doesn’t look like a part of set. Also the red contrasts with the pink the best. I feel like people will start warming up to the pink once Gringott’s gets added, which would be another bright set to balance it out on the left. I think Legos plan was to put two drab buildings in between each of the brighter buildings to create cohesion.

I think you’re right about Gringott’s balancing the set and your points make sense. I am going to build the set as it’s meant to be anyway, then see if I want to make modifications. Personally, I am of the opinion WWW should stick out because the lurid colours are mentioned specifically in the book. I also just don’t like hot pink for such a large building in the middle lol

5 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I'm a bit of a lurker around these parts but is anyone else getting beyond tired of this fellas patronising pedantry? Seems that he's incapable of not sneering down his keyboard at anyone he comes across. I love a good brick that's why I'm here but it's just bloody lego mate, get a grip.

6 hours ago, krimimimi said:

The blue, grey and olive are all *so* much better than the pink. In the original (never mind the fact QQS wasn't actually on that side of the street, and I swear they put it in to save parts vs. Wiseacre's (and because boys like brooms, apparently :tongue:)), QQS is much smaller. In the D.A. set, though, it's the only building that goes the full width, even WWW yields some of the width to the passageway to Knockturn Alley. The movie version of QQS also had bay windows that extended out from the building on the first floor (or second in the US). That broke up what there was of the pink, and the pink was also more subtle. (I really hate that in a set that's this expensive, I'm seriously calculating what it would cost additionally to swap out WWW's lilac (light grey I think) and QQS's pink (I'm leaning blue or olive).) 

One change that really helped a lot was @Micmac 's mod to the roofline. (on flickr (his instagram was even better, but I don't IG, so I'll let him provide the link)) That did wonders for the build. He's since built another version where he adjusted the size some, "abused" the stucco more and shifted the windows iirc, which helped with the pink. (I'm more partial to the first variation.) Loved the WWW changes, too. 

Any idea how stud.io rates in comparison?

Just to let you know. You are actually comparing apples and oranges. :laugh: As far as i'm aware, the studio tour that you are seeing in the google maps is based on the latter movies, whereas for the most part. The diagon alley set is based on the first to movies. QQS is actually not too out of scale when compared to the correct movies. This is is a screen shot I grabbed a few months ago. https://ibb.co/GTQvdXF Basically the 1st 3 segments of Diagon Alley are all exactly in the correct order. The only thing that isn't correct is WWW, it is this one that has been incorrectly tacked onto the rest.

Hopefully this might help you, as personally I hated QQS and the way it looked initially until I saw it was actually very accurate to the source material. I now love it for how accurate it is, and as others have said before, the pink isn't as horrible and detracting in real life as it is in the pictures online.

1 minute ago, chris6507 said:

Just to let you know. You are actually comparing apples and oranges. :laugh: As far as i'm aware, the studio tour that you are seeing in the google maps is based on the latter movies, whereas for the most part. The diagon alley set is based on the first to movies. QQS is actually not too out of scale when compared to the correct movies. This is is a screen shot I grabbed a few months ago. https://ibb.co/GTQvdXF Basically the 1st 3 segments of Diagon Alley are all exactly in the correct order. The only thing that isn't correct is WWW, it is this one that has been incorrectly tacked onto the rest.

Hopefully this might help you, as personally I hated QQS and the way it looked initially until I saw it was actually very accurate to the source material. I now love it for how accurate it is, and as others have said before, the pink isn't as horrible and detracting in real life as it is in the pictures online.

Hmm, interesting. For some reason it had never occured to me that the Daily Prophets entrance looked different in CoS :oh: So I guess it's a blend of CoS and HBP for that one? The entrance we got in the set is accurate to the WB Studio Tour and I'm pretty sure their DA is also the HBP version :shrug_oh_well:

Hey 

So, I got the AT for my birthday today and am about to start building. I was just wondering ,what did people do about the white frames. Did you build them and then remove them. Or did you not put them in at the start. If so, what did you replace them with? 

Was there anyone who kept them in. Personally I don't like them, but I don't hate them. I am conflicted in what to do.

11 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Hmm, interesting. For some reason it had never occured to me that the Daily Prophets entrance looked different in CoS :oh: So I guess it's a blend of CoS and HBP for that one? The entrance we got in the set is accurate to the WB Studio Tour and I'm pretty sure their DA is also the HBP version :shrug_oh_well:

Yeah, you can actually just see the door to the daily prophet in that picture. But it's a pretty boring black door. So I think they've used the HBP design to make it look at big more exciting. I thought they'd just decided to make the random door into the Daily Prophet, but I actually realised in a later shot in the movie there is actually a sign higher above the door saying it is the daily prophet. I had taken a picture of that, but it's gone from the image hosting site. But I definitely think that picture justifies the colour and scale of the set. Others have still complained about the upper windows, and while It's hard to see the exact layout and design, it definitely looks like the large blob of pink is pretty accurate.

5 minutes ago, Tommy269 said:

Hey 

So, I got the AT for my birthday today and am about to start building. I was just wondering ,what did people do about the white frames. Did you build them and then remove them. Or did you not put them in at the start. If so, what did you replace them with? 

Was there anyone who kept them in. Personally I don't like them, but I don't hate them. I am conflicted in what to do.

I personally left it. I've set my set up as close to the original hogwarts design as possible, so my Astronomy Tower is one of the furthest back buildings, so you can't see it anyway! :laugh: This is my layout: https://ibb.co/vDZtR5z.

Edited by chris6507

1 minute ago, Tommy269 said:

Hey 

I replaced them with some simple columns but from what I've heard the model is still very stable if you don't use the big frames. I do recommend switching out the normal sized ones for ones in tan. Have fun building!

4 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

Yeah, you can actually just see the door to the daily prophet in that picture. But it's a pretty boring black door. So I think they've used the HBP design to make it look at big more exciting. I thought they'd just decided to make the random door into the Daily Prophet, but I actually realised in a later shot in the movie there is actually a sign higher above the door saying it is the daily prophet. I had taken a picture of that, but it's gone from the image hosting site. But I definitely think that picture justifies the colour and scale of the set. Others have still complained about the upper windows, and while It's hard to see the exact layout and design, it definitely looks like the large blob of pink is pretty accurate.

It's definetely accurate from what I can tell, it just needs another eyecatcher (Gringotts) to it's left to draw attention away from it.

8 minutes ago, Tommy269 said:

Hey 

I kept them in but that's because I've forced myself to not make any modifications to these sets.

I did a fair bit of modding on my AT, don’t have a good picture though. Basically I added a floor to make it taller, removed the white frames, replaced the narrow white frames with tan ones and built up the walls with bricks and added some climbing plants to the outside. It’s more closed off that way though, and the white frames were added for playability (I think so anyway). If you don’t like the tower closed off or difficult to access the interiors, maybe replace the frames with some columns. 

TLDR: if you value playability, I’d leave the white frames in. Alternatively, replace with some columns for stability or brick up the walls.

I also kept them in, but my kids play with my sets. I don't love them and would replace them if I didn't keep all my spare tan pieces for other ventures. I think I'm going to do what @MooneyRemus suggested and add a floor at some point; I've just struggled with what to put in that space. 

5 hours ago, Tommy269 said:

Hey 

I left mine as is also. It’s not a big problem to me. I just have mine at angle that makes it harder to see them.  Then again, I wasn’t very bothered by them. 

Page 700!!! May Harry Potter theme last for a long long time. Also hope they create sets based on the books. 

21 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Bogart Snape isn't an ''event exclusive character''

Not sure I understand the distinction. Do you mean we have other Snapes?

19 minutes ago, Albus said:

Not sure I understand the distinction. Do you mean we have other Snapes?

Yup, to quote the original post: "Hooch is the only event exclusive character that didn't receive an alternative way to get her''. 

Technically, it‘s not a character at all, a Boggart is classified as a beast :tongue:

1 hour ago, clouette said:

Also hope they create sets based on the books. 

Not sure how that would work. Do you have specific scenes or locations in mind that didn‘t make it into the films? Personally, I can‘t think of anything important or set-worthy they left out :shrug_oh_well: Besides, LEGO sets based on a non-visual medium is a bit of a weird idea anyway :grin: