Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Having a very experimental winter wave plus a full nine set summer wave is a good sign for the theme, and it must be doing incredibly well to warrant this. It makes me curious as to what other licensed themes could potentially use a refresh and reinvigoration (cough LOTR cough), seeing as there's massive demand for Harry Potter with no new Fantastic Beasts movie currently out the the HP movies themselves getting older each year. 

I’m really hoping for some sets from the earlier movies, not to keen on DH sets really besides Gringott’s. It’s a good movie but nothing visually appealing to make an intriguing set or many interesting minifigs outside of Narcissa. Fingers crossed for a Second Task or a Chamber of Secrets.

4 hours ago, RODDY said:

I’m really hoping for some sets from the earlier movies, not to keen on DH sets really besides Gringott’s. It’s a good movie but nothing visually appealing to make an intriguing set or many interesting minifigs outside of Narcissa. Fingers crossed for a Second Task or a Chamber of Secrets.

I'm gonna have to agree here, most scenes are either really questionable or have a ''more popular sibling''. Here's most of the things possible and whether or not I personally think we'll ever get it: 

Wedding tent - it's a small addition to the Burrow with some fantastic figure potential. Given how much LEGO likes parties in the Potter theme I can definetely see this happening.

Battle of the Seven Potters - definetely not fit to be a large set but this could definetely function as the wave's $20 set. 

Gringotts - important to the movie, important to DA and one of the most requested things by fans. We'll definetely get this!

Forest of Dean - they'll definetely make this. A small tent, couple of trees, doe patronus and figures of the trio, Scabior and 1 or 2 more Snatchers. Sounds great!

Malfoy Manor - we definetely won't get a full blown manor but something like the cancelled set from a decade ago could definetely work out.

Hogsmeade - they only really visit the Hogs Head and I don't think we'll ever see any Hogsmeade buildings aside from the Shrieking Shack as single sets. Most likely gonna have to wait for a future D2C

Ministry of Magic - this would be a set with a ''more popular sibling''. If we ever get MoM sets I'd say we're much more likely to get the Atrium duel between Voldey and Dumbledore or the Department of Mysteries.

Hogwarts - we'll definetely get at least 1 new part of the castle, most likely either the Boathouse or Bell Towers (or both).

Godric's Hollow - a set in which a snake ''possesses'' a dead woman's corpse, probably not gonna happen.

The Rookery - not sure it's important enough to be made in the first wave of DH sets, doubt LEGO will make this in 2021. 

Shell Cottage - chances aren't high but I could see this happening. 

Room of Hidden Things - could work as a standalone set but I'd say it's more likely to be put in a Hogwarts section.

Forbidden Forest - we've gotten a FF in every wave so far. It's definetely possible that LEGO does a ''remake'' of the 2010 set.

Edited by Guyon2002

14 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

You're right, I checked but I did copy it down correctly so he must've made a typo :shrug_oh_well:

Or that some of the sets are limited so info about them show up much later :shrug_oh_well:

4 hours ago, DuckBricks said:

Having a very experimental winter wave plus a full nine set summer wave is a good sign for the theme, and it must be doing incredibly well to warrant this

I was wondering to what extent the virus and any initial problems adjusting to workplace / workflow changes it caused may have driven the choices behind that very different winter wave. I know a lot of people whose businesses had to adjust to people working from home. (Hubs, for example, spent six months working exclusively from home, and has only last month begun returning to the office one or two days a week. By design, when he's there, the majority of his colleagues are not.) Something like that has to throw a major spanner in the works in terms of your creative development process. I'm not sure when they usually start work on their sets, or how long they typically take from conception to reach production, but the rumours I'd read about the January releases felt a lot like a stopgap to tide us over until we could get back to business as usual (ish) come summer 2021. 

Anyone have details they can offer as to how it's usually done, or even better, as to how 2020 may have affected TLG's process?

20 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

I was wondering to what extent the virus and any initial problems adjusting to workplace / workflow changes it caused may have driven the choices behind that very different winter wave. I know a lot of people whose businesses had to adjust to people working from home. (Hubs, for example, spent six months working exclusively from home, and has only last month begun returning to the office one or two days a week. By design, when he's there, the majority of his colleagues are not.) Something like that has to throw a major spanner in the works in terms of your creative development process. I'm not sure when they usually start work on their sets, or how long they typically take from conception to reach production, but the rumours I'd read about the January releases felt a lot like a stopgap to tide us over until we could get back to business as usual (ish) come summer 2021. 

Anyone have details they can offer as to how it's usually done, or even better, as to how 2020 may have affected TLG's process?

Set design usually takes a while so I don't think this wave was made specifically to accomodate the pandemic, though it's definetely possible as the Advent Calendar we got in 2019 was also a last-minute addition. I don't think the pandemic affected TLG's working process much, besides the fact they're selling more sets than usual and a couple of times they've had to move up an entire wave of movie sets because the movie itself got delayed (think about Eternals for example, those sets were supposed to be released this month). 

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Wedding tent - it's a small addition to the Burrow with some fantastic figure potential. Given how much LEGO likes parties in the Potter theme I can definetely see this happening.

Battle of the Seven Potters - definetely not fit to be a large set but this could definetely function as the wave's $20 set. 

Forest of Dean - they'll definetely make this. A small tent, couple of trees, doe patronus and figures of the trio, Scabior and 1 or 2 more Snatchers. Sounds great!

Forbidden Forest - we've gotten a FF in every wave so far. It's definetely possible that LEGO does a ''remake'' of the 2010 set.

These all sound like great ideas but I'd imagine they'd be on the cheaper side of the spectrum (<$40) Is it likely that Lego would create that many sets in that price range since

7 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I don't think the pandemic affected TLG's working process much, besides the fact they're selling more sets than usual and a couple of times they've had to move up an entire wave of movie sets because the movie itself got delayed [...] 

There‘s one part of the process that doesn‘t work the same way it did before, namely the testing sessions with kids. There are ways around it (deliver the prototypes to kids‘ homes, rely on foolproof set ideas that don‘t require testing, etc.), but it‘s not quite the same

1 minute ago, Lego-Freak said:

There‘s one part of the process that doesn‘t work the same way it did before, namely the testing sessions with kids. There are ways around it (deliver the prototypes to kids‘ homes, rely on foolproof set ideas that don‘t require testing, etc.), but it‘s not quite the same

Honestly forgot about that part of the design process :tongue:

How much do you guys think this next wave will be costing? Considering the last few years, the average price has been around $335. I am not including the D2C or the minifigure series because we are not expecting one of those next year. And nine sets? That seems like a big jump from the last couple of years. Not that I would be complaining, but I am going to be concerned over the quality of the sets lacking next year. I also forgot to add in the advent calendars, but we already know how much those cost on a yearly basis.

Edited by DocStrange
forgot advent calendar

5 hours ago, DocStrange said:

How much do you guys think this next wave will be costing? Considering the last few years, the average price has been around $335. I am not including the D2C or the minifigure series because we are not expecting one of those next year. And nine sets? That seems like a big jump from the last couple of years. Not that I would be complaining, but I am going to be concerned over the quality of the sets lacking next year. I also forgot to add in the advent calendars, but we already know how much those cost on a yearly basis.

I'd assume somewhere around $400 for all 9 sets. As for worrying about quality, 9 sets in 2021 is only 1 more set than we got in 2019 and 2 more than 2018 and 2020 so I highly doubt that'll impact the quality of the sets. 

1 hour ago, Marvelous Spidey said:

In all countries?

I think so...

These look super nice. Movie one and two Flitwick is great, also looks like Cho is more accurate now than in CMF. And all of them have that nostalgia feeling from 2001 (sets 4721,4722 and 4723)

Just now, Brick Guru said:

Where are you guys finding these pictures? I can't seem to find them

#legoleaks on Instagram

These new classroom sets are really cool! The question is should you display them closed or open? :grin:

Just now, Thieda said:

These new classroom sets are really cool! The question is should you display them closed or open? :grin:

I wasn't going to be getting these unless the new minifigures made them worth it, so I was thinking I may need to pick up Hufflepuff and Gryffindor (if McGonagall has a skirt piece). But now I'm thinking I'm going to want to get all four to display closed. :facepalm:

Honestly not sure what to think of these sets. The books themselves don't interest me, the classrooms look pretty neat but if the older descriptions are accurate most of the detailed bits are stickers and the figures are pretty meh all around (even Flitwick) :def_shrug: Might pick some of them up but I definetely wouldn't feel bad if I'd skip all of them. 

Snape does look like he glows in the dark :laugh:

No new hairpiece for Flitwick is kind of a bummer