Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

I'm liking the idea of these book sets but I hope they keep using the traditional minifigs.   I was going to get the Disney ones until I saw the weird figures they went with.  Since I missed out on the original HP sets I welcome the chance to get classroom builds.   Trying to translate the promobricks article on my tablet is impossible so until I get to my laptop I have no idea what it says.  If these end up being as interesting as they sound I hope they continue making sets along these lines for other classroom scenes & the house common rooms.  Reminds me a bit of the small Ninjago sets & the Friends hearts & cubes sets they've made the past few years only bigger.

10 minutes ago, karrit said:

I'm liking the idea of these book sets but I hope they keep using the traditional minifigs.   I was going to get the Disney ones until I saw the weird figures they went with.  Since I missed out on the original HP sets I welcome the chance to get classroom builds.   Trying to translate the promobricks article on my tablet is impossible so until I get to my laptop I have no idea what it says. 

They're traditional minifigures, they mention short legs and dual molded legs specifically.

I reckon it's Justin Finch-Fletchley in the Herbology one instead of Cedric. Looking at pictures of the actor, it would make sense for him to use the same hairpiece as Cedric, hence the confusion.

Also given Seamus is in the Potions classroom (where he frequently causes explosions), I think he'll be getting a 'blown-up' face print. 

I’m not too excited about these personally, especially another Potions classroom which will mark its third appearance. We already have the Greenhouse so there’s no need for Herbology either especially when Sprout comes in the CMF. I do want to get my hands on PS Flitwick but I’ll just BrickLink him. Kinda would of liked to see an Umbridge’s Office which still baffles me why it wasn’t in the Astronomy Tower or a Divination classroom. I’d even take a remake of the DADA classroom so it’s based on Lockhart and Lupin’s version. I’ll probably skip but I’ll wait to see pics to give a final verdict.

Yes! Classroom sets! The book thing sounds strange though. Like some of you, I find the idea of the Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw ones more exciting than the other two (specially because of the new variants!)

Snape, Malfoy, Seamus and kettles sound too repetitive and whomping willow-ish, and if they reuse the variants we've already gotten this is a 100% skip. Seeing Snape re-appear 3 years later looking the same will certainly put me off :laugh: If he's using the same torso then at least a cape and new printed legs, or something!

The Gryffindor one will have McGonagall with a cape, so at least that's something... perhaps the dress piece for her as well? The other two sound very unexciting. Young Hermione and Ron need a new faceprint or something, they're getting incredibly repetitive! 

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

Now just fingers crossed for some book only characters like Peeves 

*squints at 2001 Peeves* I’m good, actually :tongue: I don’t quite see the point of designing minifigs of book-exclusive characters, unless there’s some scrapped concept art WB have lying around somewhere :shrug_oh_well:

I am very interested to see pictures of these book sets. I already know I’ll be getting all four sets but I’m curious what they look like. Part of me wishes they were traditional classroom builds that could be added to the modular Hogwarts, and perhaps I’ll try to incorporate them they way. At the same time, I like the book idea and want to keep it that way. I’ll have to wait and see. At only $30, maybe I could get two of each and have it both ways. Who knows? I’m very curious thought. I feel like if we have descriptions, that means pictures exist somewhere and hopefully we’ll see them sooner rather than later

5 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

*squints at 2001 Peeves* I’m good, actually :tongue: I don’t quite see the point of designing minifigs of book-exclusive characters, unless there’s some scrapped concept art WB have lying around somewhere :shrug_oh_well:

There's a still of Rik Mayall as Peeves from scrapped footage, but he looks very ordinary.

I’m pretty sure both the Hufflepuff and Slytherin books contain their respective house “dorm” or “common room”. The Hufflepuff book description says it includes two beds - but could these be flower beds? The Slytherin book describes a couch or armchair - I imagine this will be the green leather sofa that Malfoy sits on when Harry and Ron (as Crabbe and Goyle) try to find out who the heir of Slytherin is. Is anyone else interpreting this the same way?

Well hey, can’t be disappointed if you never expected anything! More HP the merrier, even if they aren’t my cup of tea. Means they’re confident with the theme

2 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

I think LEGO made a mistake by giving us house themed books for classrooms. Ideally these house books would include the common rooms and a second wave could include classrooms and have the books themed around schoolbooks like advanced potion making. 

Judging by the article on promobricks and the builds they mention that  come in these books I assume they are actually a combination of the classroom (in one book "half") and small builds like armchairs, trunks and closets for the common rooms on the other side of the book. The promobricks article mentions those side bulds, specifically the armchair for Slytherin, closets and book cases for Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw and the closet and trunk for Gryffindor. There is no closet or book case for example in the green houses or an armchair in the potions classroom in the movies, but they make sense in the common rooms. Further details like portraits, rugs, emblems and windows are added through stickers.

If you compare the concept with the Disney books you get a pretty good idea how they could look

These book sets are for smaller children as gifts and incentive buys. A few hundred pages ago we discussed the themes appeal towards girls and these are for younger girls (and boys) to collect. Not every set is geared towards you as an AFOL. This is a toy for children, too. The designers even added Flitwick in a new and desirable variant so that we as adult collectors also get something out of it

Edited by Metanoios91

1 minute ago, Metanoios91 said:

Judging by the article on promobricks and the builds they mention that  come in these books I assume they are actually a combination of the classroom (in one book "half") and small builds like armchairs, trunks and closets for the common rooms on the other side of the book. The promobricks article mentions those side bulds, specifically the armchair for Slytherin, closets and book cases for Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw and the closet and trunk for Gryffindor. There is no closet or book case for example in the green houses or an armchair in the potions classroom in the movies, but they make sense in the common rooms. Further details like portraits, rugs, emblems and windows are added through stickers.

I think this exactly right. One side of the book will be the classroom, the other side will be the dorm or common room. It’s actually a really neat concept. And as it’s targeted to a younger audience, I think we are likely to get some great printed pieces in addition to the stickers. Also, important to note that all of the LEGO Disney Princess Books feature two distinct rooms on each side of the central build. Take a look at this example from Disney’s Frozen:

4 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Wow this was a surprise. I wonder how the books will connect to each other. I kinda imagine them like brickbuild versions of the old cardboard common room, diagon alley shops and classroom sets.

The potions class is probably the least exciting. The only interesting thing being the (hopefully printed) blackboard. Maybe it's our chance to get a full black Snape and more accurate Seamus, would've preferred a second Slytherin though.

Transfiguration might finally give us an updated robe and hair/hat combo McGonagall. A cat and printed blackboard would've been better then what we got but I guess it will do.

Herbology sounds great. We get earmuffs for around the necks and an exclusive Sprout. A hat without the muffs is probably too much to ask for. The room itself sounds interesting. Glass door sounds great. The beds are odd. I guess this set seconds as a Hufflepuff common room. At least something. The herbology torsos are really useful, if only they weren't house specific. Still that means another lack of Hufflepuff torsos. A blackboard also would've been nice, guess I'll have to get the old one somewhere.

Charms is definitely the best one. We'll finally get classic Flitwick. Also a blackboard and another shot at the ravenclaw torso. I wonder why they picked a desk over the books Flitwick teaches on.

Can't wait to see what's up with these.

I think the translation from German to English was a little off. I'm assuming "beds" are the actual flowerbeds the students stand around. 
Overall these sets sound intriguing but i can imagine they'll be quite small. 

Wait so Promobricks also announced the Harry Potter Crest for the LEGO Art line, where each set is a different Hogwarts house, and together they form the entire crest.

13 minutes ago, Metanoios91 said:

If you compare the concept with the Disney books you get a pretty good idea how they could look

I think that makes a lot of sense. One side is the common room featuring a student for the house, and the other side is the classroom of the house head featuring a random student.

1 minute ago, doclord said:

Wait, is Flitwick the original design? If so this is the best wave ever.

Hope he gets a new mold for his hair/beard.   otherwise the Dwalin piece is the most fitting lego has made before.  

I do fear lego will use some existing ill fitting piece thought :pir-cry_sad:

Just now, deskp said:

Hope he gets a new mold for his hair/beard.   otherwise the Dwalin piece is the most fitting lego has made before.  

This is the best year for 1-2 art design/casting fans, between the perfect Dumbledore, Diagon Alley and now OG Flitwick. All I can do now is pray for Pomfrey.

Whoever came up with that pop-up book idea deserves a raise

You can almost hear the "ka-ching" sound

13 minutes ago, deskp said:

I also hope they make a new beard mould (+ bald head) for him which would be the best case scenario. But if they had to reuse a part I think they might recolour the Filch hair and give us just one smaller white new beard piece or printing (which wouldn`t look all that great).

The text on promobricks implies that we get the Monkie Kid head phone piece recoloured in dark tan for the ear muffs, because the text says the students wear the ear muffs around their necks. So they seem to have at least a budget for recolours for these books. The McGonagall could even come with a new printed dark green skirt piece since they originally had designed hers for the Great Hall set, but after play-testing with kids they decided to give her legs instead so that the kids could sit her on the table. This was mentioned by one of the designers in a 2018 brickset interview for the first wave

3 minutes ago, Metanoios91 said:

I also hope they make a new beard mould (+ bald head) for him which would be the best case scenario. But if they had to reuse a part I think they might recolour the Filch hair and give us just one smaller white new beard piece or printing (which wouldn`t look all that great).

The text on promobricks implies that we get the Monkie Kid head phone piece recoloured in dark tan for the ear muffs, because the text says the students wear the ear muffs around their necks. So they seem to have at least a budget for recolours for these books. The McGonagall could even come with a new printed dark green skirt piece since they originally had designed hers for the Great Hall set, but after play-testing with kids they decided to give her legs instead so that the kids could sit her on the table. This was mentioned by one of the designers in a 2018 brickset interview for the first wave

These sets are even more so targeted at younger kids,   and Sprout gets legs so I'm not hopeful for a Mcgonnagall skirt

The Promobricks article mentions a toad in the Griffindor themed one, do you think it could be a new mold?

2 minutes ago, aimo said:

The Promobricks article mentions a toad in the Griffindor themed one, do you think it could be a new mold?

Doubtful, surely just the frog.