Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, Surge said:

I cant speak for him, but I would totally do this (if I knew it was risk free) out of my lack of patience

You guys make me so happy cause it's great to know that I'm not the only one who is ridiculously impatient with such things like Lego sets ? 

Just as a little side note, after the first hours of being on sale in several countries, DA is already sold out in South Korea but still available in Australia and New Zealand. 

4 minutes ago, Zepthire said:

Thought I'd take a photo of the two sides of the street facing each other from the end of the promo video on the sets page. I do really like how it looks like this, doesn't even seem like the cobblestone needs expanding to be a similar scale to the movie.

da.jpg.a41c925d4e1a02210a3eaf12424f8cb6.jpg

I agree. This might be my favorite setup for a screen-accurate display when it comes to recreating that tight-fit aspect of Diagon Alley.

However, I doubt anyone would be able to appreciate all the details of this set when there is so little space to look at the façades.

So when it releases at midnight (for the US at least) will the GWP be included as well? And does it also apply to different time zones in the US like how for some people I'll release at 9? I've never done one of these midnight buys before so I'm really anxious and curious on how it'll turn out

I may regret buying the 8x16 plates now lol would maybe be better to put two buildings on each side and add 4x8 or 4x16 or whatever it comes in. 

That view is also going to look so so good when Gringotts is in the back!

6 minutes ago, Zepthire said:

Thought I'd take a photo of the two sides of the street facing each other from the end of the promo video on the sets page. I do really like how it looks like this, doesn't even seem like the cobblestone needs expanding to be a similar scale to the movie.

My preference is for a bit more cobble between the sidewalks.  This is based on rewatching the scenes prior to the official reveal.  But, I will reserve final judgement until I have the set in-hand and can look at it with my own eyes.

6 minutes ago, Zepthire said:

Thanks for posting this image.  I like this layout much more than how Lego is advertising the set (all side-by-side).  Now to find $400...

Just now, more awesomer said:

My preference is for a bit more cobble between the sidewalks.  This is based on rewatching the scenes prior to the official reveal.  But, I will reserve final judgement until I have the set in-hand and can look at it with my own eyes.

Having looked at the scene, it probably would be more accurate with a few more studs of space in between but I was suprised how good having them directly facing each other worked. 

1 minute ago, Modal said:

I may regret buying the 8x16 plates now lol would maybe be better to put two buildings on each side and add 4x8 or 4x16 or whatever it comes in. 

That view is also going to look so so good when Gringotts is in the back!

4 extra studs of path was actually what I was thinking too. I think that would be about the right scale personally.

54 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

I really like how the street looks when the shops are 2 buildings on each side, I do not think that any more cobblestones are needed because it is rather narrow street in the film..

And as already mentioned I hope we get more buildings in the future, when I see the set I want the missing shops to add on :sweet:

Not to mention, the street being so narrow has the added bonus of making the 14 minifigures fill up much of the space, making the scene feel more complete in that regard than the other two configurations. I doubt I'll display it that way, since I only have space open to display it lengthwise at the moment, but I think it's undoubtedly the best overall look. 

As for combining it into two 32x32 modulars, that looks FAR better than I'd expected, but I still don't know if it really adds anything aside from depth to Knockturn Alley though, and it is my least favorite display format.

31 minutes ago, Zepthire said:

*snip*

This looks amazing, but it's very hard to display it like that and as @Terrasher points out, you can't make out the details :laugh: But it's great they're offering it as an option :thumbup:

j2qdbyz.jpg

Took another screenshot from the video on the Lego site. Looks so good like this! It shouldn’t be too hard to display it this way would it? Just have the sets on their side so looking forward is in the direction of this camera.

Edited by Modal

I think when I finally set up my city, I'm might put the two halves of Diagon Alley facing each other surrounded by the Creator Expert modular buildings to mimic DA being hidden. Perhaps even MOC a Leaky Cauldron or just the brick wall to finish it off.

10 minutes ago, Modal said:

j2qdbyz.jpg

Took another screenshot from the video on the Lego site. Looks so good like this! It shouldn’t be too hard to display it this way would it? Just have the sets on their side so looking forward is in the direction of this camera.

It's hard to tell if this would look good zoomed out (just sitting on a shelf). I wish one of the reviewers showed it like that.

Just now, YetiZombie said:

It's hard to tell if this would look good zoomed out (just sitting on a shelf). I wish one of the reviewers showed it like that.

I think the face-to-face alley configuration is also a great idea for bookend style displays, which I am really fond of. You could connect Ollivander’s / Scribulus to WWW and have one bookend display, then on another shelf connect QQS to Flourish & Blott’s / Florean’s. Each display would only be around 9 inches deep, which is pretty standard depth for a bookshelf.

46 minutes ago, Bowtruckle44 said:

So when it releases at midnight (for the US at least) will the GWP be included as well? And does it also apply to different time zones in the US like how for some people I'll release at 9? I've never done one of these midnight buys before so I'm really anxious and curious on how it'll turn out

I think you need to wait until after midnight if you want the GWP and yes it does depend on the time zone I believe so on the pacific coast you would still need to wait for midnight 

17 minutes ago, Modal said:

I think that would work. The WWW has some artwork on the side of it so it would still look good on display. 

I just wish they hadn't put the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff Quidditch uniforms in Diagon Alley; putting together a whole team of seven of each team is gonna be a nightmare!

A Quidditch team pack like the current student pack would have been better, and QQS could have had the uniforms for the Chudley Cannons and the Holyhead Harpies instead (Ron and Ginny's favourite Quidditch teams), to match their themed bedrooms from the Burrow!

6 minutes ago, Felkin said:

I just wish they hadn't put the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff Quidditch uniforms in Diagon Alley; putting together a whole team of seven of each team is gonna be a nightmare!

A Quidditch team pack like the current student pack would have been better, and QQS could have had the uniforms for the Chudley Cannons and the Holyhead Harpies instead (Ron and Ginny's favourite Quidditch teams), to match their themed bedrooms from the Burrow!

What if they put it in here so they can make a Quidditch team pack like the student pack or perhaps even more battle pack-esque à la Star Wars? They haven't retired the Quidditch Match set yet, which would mean all 4 outfits would be currently on the market, so why not all four together in a new (battle/people) pack?

With the extra build possibly being an additional tower for your quidditch field/pitch/arena?

Edited by Salix

2 minutes ago, Salix said:

What if they put it in here so they can make a Quidditch team pack like the student pack or perhaps even more battle pack-esque à la Star Wars? They haven't retired the Quidditch Match set yet, which would mean all 4 outfits would be currently on the market, so why not in a new pack?

That would still mean they spent DA budget on those figures, regardless of wether or not they pop up anywhere else. What he suggested was giving us a Quidditch BP down the line and include some more unique and possibly obscure Quidditch robes for some of the national teams, meaning that 'battlepack' wouldn't just consist of existing torsos.

3 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

That would still mean they spent DA budget on those figures, regardless of wether or not they pop up anywhere else. What he suggested was giving us a Quidditch BP down the line and include some more unique and possibly obscure Quidditch robes for some of the national teams, meaning that 'battlepack' wouldn't just consist of existing torsos.

I hear and understand what you both meant. So I'll clarify that my reaction was more inspired by and not so much a reaction to. :P

10 hours ago, YetiZombie said:

The designers mentioned that they had to reduce the shops by a floor in order to include more shops. So, for those wondering, it wasn't a lazy design - it was just a trade-off.

And a very welcomed trade off in my eyes. I’d much rather have this than less buildings but taller ones. 

9 hours ago, Friscorays said:

Per BrickFanatics.com:  "Once completed, the four separate builds can be locked together with Technic pins to make for an incredibly long and sizable section of Diagon Alley (they can also be placed two by two and back to back)."

It still doesn’t make any sense to me, it just looks awful. Take the archway to KA...it goes straight into whatever building one decides to put next to it. More power to those who go back to back, it just flat out does not look good or realistic, in the LEGO sense, naturally. 

8 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

It's nice to have the option of being able to display it back to back but I'm honestly not sure why anyone would want to actually use that configuration :sceptic: 

Aye. If you’re short on space I get that, but then why not put it so the fronts are facing each other, with the walkways being together. It would be a more appropriate display. I’m gonna see how it looks on a 48x48 with more walkway in between. 

On 8/27/2020 at 5:59 AM, josh_a_123 said:

is the Monster Book of Monsters set legit? Cos that could be what HP-4 is

30628 might or might not exist, I don"t know, but that's not what "HP-4* is.

Edited by Azani

The reason they made it to where you can put buildings back to back is so you can put it in a modular city, if you don't have a modular city, the feature is useless, but it great if you do.