Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Rumors are gaining traction for a $40 Monster Book of Monsters set, possibly a gift with purchase.  That just doesn’t make sense to me, because then there would be FOUR(!) Harry Potter GWPs this year:

-Hedwig Delivery polybag (not rare or exclusive, guaranteed)

-Hagrid and Buckbeak Brickheadz (guaranteed)

-Wherever the leaked Year One Harry figure is from

-Monster Book of Monsters

Something just doesn’t add up, but I’m reluctant to order Diagon Alley until I know the situation better (and any hints about Gringotts and Borgin and Burke’s would also be nice).  

Edited by RogueTwo

2 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

Rumors are gaining traction for a $40 Monster Book of Monsters set, possibly a gift with purchase.  That just doesn’t make sense to me, because then there would be FOUR(!) Harry Potter GWPs this year:

Wasn't this already proven false? What traction has it gained other than being posted around from an untrustworthy source?

So kind of a funny story...

Decided to stop by Target after my doctor’s appointment, as I still want Dumbledore from CMF2. Once I got there, I realized their lego aisle was newly stocked with all the new sets, so I knew they probably had the CMF somewhere. I couldn’t find them in the toy aisle, so I decided to check out the cash registers and, surprise, they’re all full with HP CMF. There was a problem, however - Target is now directing people to register’s, and there was a long line. If I was going to feel around these bags to find Dumbledore, I was going to need some time (and go somewhere not as populated because I’m insecure of people watching me fondle toy bags lmao).

I decided to sneak in once and tell the guy I’m just grabbing the Lego bags off the shelf. He was chill and I took the entire stack in the aisle. Went back to the toy area and couldn’t feel Dumbledore, so I just threw them on the HP lego sets and went back for round 2. This time I tried to do it without asking because the guy was going to start questioning why I’m taking all of these bags and then leaving :laugh_hard: so I grab about 10 more on another aisle and feel them again, trying to spot the curved leg piece. BINGO, found two. One was Lestrange, but the other I couldn’t tell between Dumbledore and Sprout. Decide to risk the $5 to check and threw all the other ones on the aisle again (sorry Target employees). Get the the car and it’s Sprout :(

Was still a fun little Target round haha will wait until it’s easier to feel them before I get Dumbledore I guess.

1 hour ago, Surge said:

the burrow was removed from shop at home (at least in the U.S.) anybody know why?

It’s back...maybe they were updating it from “Coming Soon” to Sept 1st. 

14 minutes ago, Bowtruckle44 said:

Wasn't this already proven false? What traction has it gained other than being posted around from an untrustworthy source?

Oh, maybe you’re right.  It seems almost too weird to make up, though.  

8 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

Oh, maybe you’re right.  It seems almost too weird to make up, though.  

I think the leaker was trying to get his 5 minutes of fame. He posts rumors he heard, passing them off as his own without fact checking them. He probably heard it and went with it.

16 minutes ago, Modal said:

Decided to stop by Target after my doctor’s appointment, as I still want Dumbledore from CMF2. Once I got there, I realized their lego aisle was newly stocked with all the new sets, so I knew they probably had the CMF somewhere. I couldn’t find them in the toy aisle, so I decided to check out the cash registers and, surprise, they’re all full with HP CMF. There was a problem, however - Target is now directing people to register’s, and there was a long line. If I was going to feel around these bags to find Dumbledore, I was going to need some time (and go somewhere not as populated because I’m insecure of people watching me fondle toy bags lmao).

I decided to sneak in once and tell the guy I’m just grabbing the Lego bags off the shelf. He was chill and I took the entire stack in the aisle. Went back to the toy area and couldn’t feel Dumbledore, so I just threw them on the HP lego sets and went back for round 2. This time I tried to do it without asking because the guy was going to start questioning why I’m taking all of these bags and then leaving :laugh_hard: so I grab about 10 more on another aisle and feel them again, trying to spot the curved leg piece. BINGO, found two. One was Lestrange, but the other I couldn’t tell between Dumbledore and Sprout. Decide to risk the $5 to check and threw all the other ones on the aisle again (sorry Target employees). Get the the car and it’s Sprout :(

Was still a fun little Target round haha will wait until it’s easier to feel them before I get Dumbledore I guess.

I just found some CMF at my Target and got 3 Dumbledore. I'm happy to help you out if you're in the US. Feel free to PM me ?

6 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I will bet my Knuts (since I already lost all my Galleons and Sickles on betting on the DA reveal) that it do :tongue:

Makes no sense at all, but could the holes be there for those who buy a second DA :sceptic:

I think they are there in case people want to connect them like a corner, not back to back

1 hour ago, deskp said:

I think they are there in case people want to connect them like a corner, not back to back

The pin connection on the side of the buildings is more than 5 studs inwards from the baseplate. If you connect them as you suggest, a solid 4 stud long wall would block of a quarter of the interior (in the case of Scribbulus and Fortescue half of the interior space). If the designers wanted them to connect over the corner the pin on the side would have a different position

Edited by Metanoios91

1 hour ago, Modal said:

I used to feel awkward about it. My anxiety would flare up a bit as I wonder what passerby’s were thinking about me(and of course they were :hmpf:)...but I’ve done it enough times now that I don’t care at all. 

10 minutes ago, Metanoios91 said:

The pin connection on the side of the buildings is more than 5 studs inwards from the baseplate. If you connect them as you suggest, a solid 4 stud long wall would block of a quarter of the interior (in the case of Scribbulus and Fortescue half of the interior space). If the designers wanted them to connect over the corner the pin on the side would have a different position

thats the option people have if they want it

6 hours ago, krimimimi said:

Hey did you remove it from your instagram? I thought it was beautifully done and really illustrated how to correct some things that bugged, while helping to make clear why some of the design as is decisions make sense. (Unequal windows on the street level help make the DA line-up a little less ordered while also leaving more space for a broom display. (In the film, it only had the one wide window, for instance.) The second small one here gives us a spot to display a mannequin, which is pretty clever. Now that I've recognised that, I'm happier with their design, but still feel like the colour or arrangement of the first floor windows/ roofline needs addressing, and that was something else you had tackled.) Anyway, looking at your photoshopped version was giving me some ideas, but when I went to refer to it today, I could no longer find it. (And thanks for doing it in the first place.)

Stonewars.de had captured the specs / description when the Lego site recently inadvertently published them:

"Measuring over 11” (29cm) high, 40” (102cm) wide and 5” (13cm) deep, this LEGO® Harry Potter Diagon Alley set is crammed to the rooftops with authentic details."

Instagram took it down at the start of the week, I presume the went after certain # and cleared out all the diagon alley stuff. If you want to see it its on my flickr account but I didn't tag it with any links  (micmacpadwac). 

Just found the full image set and set description for over at www.geekslop.com it looks pretty darn awesome.

34 minutes ago, Micmac said:

Instagram took it down at the start of the week, I presume the went after certain # and cleared out all the diagon alley stuff. If you want to see it its on my flickr account but I didn't tag it with any links  (micmacpadwac). 

Are you going to try to implement the Daily Prophet sign with this edit?

44 minutes ago, Modal said:

Are you going to try to implement the Daily Prophet sign with this edit?

yeah definitely, this was just a quick photoshop image to see what it would look like smaller and with a bigger Daily Prophet. The image was such low quality there was no point trying to show all the small detail but when I get some better photos on monday I'll do a better version of it. And when I get the actual set i'll do before and after of it altered and probably a few other options to see what it can looks like. 

Distribution is so broken with the HP stuff. I finally found some new stuff on local shelves today, but it was the advent calendar and the CMFs. No sign of the summer sets anywhere yet (other than ordering on S@H), which were released across the pond long before either the CMFs and thd calendar were even announced. So, I've got a pile of new characters and furniture now, but no new spaces to put them in, hahaha.

In case anyone missed it, LEGO is promoting the new Diagon Alley set with some influential female Harry Potter superfans on Instagram. These are paid partnerships in which LEGO sends the Instagrammer four house QR Code sets to build, along with some teaser language about a whole new virtual experience. I have a feeling that there is more to the D2C Diagon Alley set than meets the eye...

Maybe it will incorporate some magic virtual reality smart phone tricks like what LEGO did with Hidden Side. Maybe the Hidden Side series was just a beta test to perfect the tech before launching a whole new series of “magical” Harry Potter sets... Maybe I’m going crazy in anticipation of the official launch of Diagon Alley and the mystery of the lost little Harry minfig in Muggle clothes!

Anyway, here’s a link to @flourish_and_bloss. There’s more in her stories.

Edited by sebastian666

So is this Diagon Alley set an expansion/add on to the one from 10 years ago?  That one had the bank, Leaky Cauldron, and Borgin's from Knockturn Alley, none of which are in this set....

1 minute ago, greenalfonzo said:

So is this Diagon Alley set an expansion/add on to the one from 10 years ago?  That one had the bank, Leaky Cauldron, and Borgin's from Knockturn Alley, none of which are in this set....

No. Leaky Cauldron wasn't in that set. It had Ollivanders instead, which is in the upcoming set too.

8 minutes ago, greenalfonzo said:

No, its a complete remake.

I personally don’t think we will ever get a B&B because it wouldn’t fit probably on the street. I think Gringotts is basically a guarantee, and if anything else maybe the other side of the street.

Another thing, I can’t believe that this hype event is called Through the Brick, yet the set has no reference to the brick wall! Maybe there’s something Monday that will actually surprise us ?

3 minutes ago, Modal said:

Another thing, I can’t believe that this hype event is called Through the Brick, yet the set has no reference to the brick wall! Maybe there’s something Monday that will actually surprise us ?

Plot twist: We are getting a Diagon Alley, but the one we've seen its fake.

The actual DA is Duplo and Microscale, coming with 17 Harry variants.