Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

4 minutes ago, Surge said:

how do people think the sets can connect with the stairs sticking out of Olivanders and Flourish and Blotts? not saying I disagree with the theory, just not sure how it would work

No idea, but F&B also has a staircase on the opposite side so maybe the counteract?

This idea of connecting the buildings is really the only logical explanation for why QQS has the shape that it has.

33 minutes ago, Modal said:

No idea, but F&B also has a staircase on the opposite side so maybe the counteract?

This idea of connecting the buildings is really the only logical explanation for why QQS has the shape that it has.

Alternatively, it might've just been the designer's preference. Plus it gives attic space to the largest building.

In general, the idea of connecting two completely different modules back to back to create "full" buildings makes absolutely no sense to me. It would be extremely inaccurate and look plain awful, I mean, who would actually want to display it that way? Plus, were that the intent, you'd think this feature would've been shown off in at least one of the 50+ official images we have of the set.

1 minute ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Alternatively, it might've just been the designer's preference. Plus it gives attic space to the largest building.

In general, the idea of connecting two completely different modules back to back to create "full" buildings makes absolutely no sense to me. It would be extremely inaccurate and look plain awful, I mean, who would actually want to display it that way? Plus, were that the intent, you'd think this feature would've been shown off in at least one of the 50+ official images we have of the set.

I think it must connect though because why else would the holes be there?

5 minutes ago, bluedog1111 said:

I think it must connect though because why else would the holes be there?

there will be a diagon alley wall set. it is just the back wall, no minifigures and nothing exclusive about it. it will likely be at least $400, (a steal if you as me)  :sarcasm:

to be honest tho, I would totally buy a set that is just the back wall and a bunch of random wizard and witches to populate the alley, not sure how much something like that would cost tho

Edited by Surge

8 minutes ago, Surge said:

there will be a diagon alley wall set. it is just the back wall, no minifigures and nothing exclusive about it. it will likely be at least $400, (a steal if you as me)  :sarcasm:

to be honest tho, I would totally buy a set that is just the back wall and a bunch of random wizard and witches to populate the alley, not sure how much something like that would cost tho

I would estimate $70 and I would defiantly get that to.

26 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

I didn't save any of the leaked image, but I believe I remember at least one picture showing the different modules sitting back to back as if being prepared to be connected to each other.

Dunno if anyone suggested this yet,  but if you want to fix your  Lucius face

Replace it with the one they used for Krum, its quite good for Lucius.  Besides if you like me replaced Krums face already you got some spares laying around.

I do have a photo shopped version of him with that face in my gallery if people want to see.

Sorry if this has already been said but what plates are used for Diagon Alley? 

I wasn’t sure if they were baseplates or not and as I’m thinking of trying to mod some of the other shops I would like them all to have the same baseplate as the official set :classic:

4 minutes ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

Sorry if this has already been said but what plates are used for Diagon Alley? 

I wasn’t sure if they were baseplates or not and as I’m thinking of trying to mod some of the other shops I would like them all to have the same baseplate as the official set :classic:

16x32 I believe

1 hour ago, Modal said:

Not really. First of all the balloons on www are in the way to connect the two sides. Second of all, sure, both buildings are on a 16x32 baseplate (or something like that). However, a pretty big part of those 32 studs are used to create the knock turn alley entrance. Which would result into people looking at a gab leading to the inside of the daily prophet. Not to forget that the daily prophet is taller than the alley entrance. I really don't think that will look good at all.

I think it's just that tall and wide to make both everything fit inside and make it look as accurate while doing so.

31 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Not really. First of all the balloons on www are in the way to connect the two sides. Second of all, sure, both buildings are on a 16x32 baseplate (or something like that). However, a pretty big part of those 32 studs are used to create the knock turn alley entrance. Which would result into people looking at a gab leading to the inside of the daily prophet. Not to forget that the daily prophet is taller than the alley entrance. I really don't think that will look good at all.

I think it's just that tall and wide to make both everything fit inside and make it look as accurate while doing so.

The balloons will have to be removed obviously, but I think the holes in the back of all of the modular basically confirms it for me. It’ll look a little goofy, but it will be a requirement for those who want to use these in their modular city. Guess we’ll find out Monday

On 8/26/2020 at 12:16 PM, Modal said:

For what it’s worth, I called the Lego Store at Disneyland and they told me it’s releasing 9/1.

Really?? Seems weird that I would figure Disney Lego to confirm the release date before another store. I called the one I'm going to Tuesday morning. I said the release date, got a "uhhh, Lego doesn't want us to confirm or deny the date", then asked how many they would have there on Tuesday morning, and the guy gave me the "I dont know how many were going to have in stock". I just hope that if something happens, and I can't get one from the store, that LEGO won't pull another Millenium falcon and be backordered/out of stock for the coming months. Do you think this set has the chance to be as popular as that one?? I remember when hogwarts castle released, it was a good couple weeks before the website said backorder. Guess in just really anxious/worried I won't be able to get one. The suspense is killing meaand I just want tuesday to be her already.

On 8/26/2020 at 6:46 PM, YetiZombie said:

----
I stand corrected. LEGO did something like this in 2016 when they released the 1966 Batcave in March (February for VIPs) and released a Mr. Freeze polybag in April, which was clearly meant to be an add-on to the Batcave. Guess that's what we're in for this time. Good thing we know this might happen in advance though!

2 hours ago, Brick Guru said:

16x32 I believe

Thanks, that’s very helpful! 

I found a link to the baseplate on bricklink, it does seem that the piece in light bluish grey is the same as in there set and Diagon Alley comes with four of them! 

I can’t wait for a video to get a proper idea of scale in real life (my entire Hogwarts build from 2010-2020 is the same length but only when it’s spread out in one line!)

14 minutes ago, Juturna said:

Really?? Seems weird that I would figure Disney Lego to confirm the release date before another store. I called the one I'm going to Tuesday morning. I said the release date, got a "uhhh, Lego doesn't want us to confirm or deny the date", then asked how many they would have there on Tuesday morning, and the guy gave me the "I dont know how many were going to have in stock". I just hope that if something happens, and I can't get one from the store, that LEGO won't pull another Millenium falcon and be backordered/out of stock for the coming months. Do you think this set has the chance to be as popular as that one?? I remember when hogwarts castle released, it was a good couple weeks before the website said backorder. Guess in just really anxious/worried I won't be able to get one. The suspense is killing meaand I just want tuesday to be her already.

Personally I don’t believe that Diagon Alley will be as popular as the Falcon. LEGO and Star Wars are like bread and butter where LEGO and Harry Potter don’t intersect nearly as much. Will it sell out on Day 1? Probably but I don’t think we are going to see month long shortages. I’d wager it would run similar to Pirates of Barracuda Bay, sell out Day 1 but eventually come back to normal by October. Me I like to stay on safe side and I’m going straight to my closest LEGO store once they open on 9/1. Buying sets in person is so much more fun than online. 

Edited by RODDY

9 minutes ago, RODDY said:

Buying sets in person is so much more fun than online.

Couldn't agree more. I can't stand Lego's shipping. Also on an unrelated note what does TLG stand for?

Just now, bluedog1111 said:

Couldn't agree more. I can't stand Lego's shipping. Also on an unrelated note what does TLG stand for?

The LEGO Group. 

5 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

I think the minifigs were supposed to be timeless and thus interchangeable between scenarios, which is also why they never used short legs, even well after their introduction in 2002. Just look at the 2010/2011 sets: with a few exceptions, they’re not based on a single movie, often including elements from multiple ones (CoS Hogwarts Express scene + HBP Luna in the same set anyone?). Also, screen accuracy was apparently far less important than in the reboot :laugh:

Wow, I never knew that the short legs were only introduced in 2002! That would make the original Gringotts goblins and Dobby some of the first minifigures to use them. And didn’t the original Quirrell have the first double sided head? And when the theme rebooted the cmf introduced medium legs. Harry Potter has had a bunch of fun minifigure milestones. 

2 hours ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

Thanks, that’s very helpful! 

I found a link to the baseplate on bricklink, it does seem that the piece in light bluish grey is the same as in there set and Diagon Alley comes with four of them! 

I can’t wait for a video to get a proper idea of scale in real life (my entire Hogwarts build from 2010-2020 is the same length but only when it’s spread out in one line!)

The baseplates in DA are dark blueish grey

6 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Glad I’m not the only one. First off, why? Why would anyone put two fronts of two completely different buildings together to make one? It would look ridiculous. Then comes display. Why would the designers of this set suggest you display two facades so you can’t even see them? One could argue the Sanctum Sanctorum, but that set is on hinges & is clear from both the box art & build that it is meant to be a corner. 

They're meant to be connected side by side in a row. That’s it. 

21 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

Glad I’m not the only one. First off, why? Why would anyone put two fronts of two completely different buildings together to make one? It would look ridiculous. Then comes display. Why would the designers of this set suggest you display two facades so you can’t even see them? One could argue the Sanctum Sanctorum, but that set is on hinges & is clear from both the box art & build that it is meant to be a corner. 

They're meant to be connected side by side in a row. That’s it. 

Limited display space.

6 hours ago, deskp said:

Dunno if anyone suggested this yet,  but if you want to fix your  Lucius face

Replace it with the one they used for Krum, its quite good for Lucius.  Besides if you like me replaced Krums face already you got some spares laying around.

I do have a photo shopped version of him with that face in my gallery if people want to see.

Certainly a lot better! I like Haldir's face too, I can't help thinking the idea face is somewhere between the two.