Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Does anyone know if I need to use the exact pieces that Lego used on the QR codes, or can it be any brick in the same color?

On a related note, do all the QR codes lead to the same place?

1 hour ago, Modal said:

Can someone decipher what the technic pins on Knockturn alley mean? There’s 3 - one at the bottom, one at window height, and one towards the top of WWW. How would an expansion work in that case?

Looking at it again, The black 1x2 over the arch is for the crooked window & the one at the top looks to be for that little section of black roof seen. So the bottom one is the only usable one for connections. 

4 minutes ago, Modal said:

Should we get a Eurobricks hangout started? Haha

idk talking to her it sounded like it I got there at 8-8:30 I should be fine. She also confirmed September 1st date

I’d be up for it, but it’ll hurt a bit since I won’t be able to get the set release day ?

3 minutes ago, Bowtruckle44 said:

Does anyone know if I need to use the exact pieces that Lego used on the QR codes, or can it be any brick in the same color?

On a related note, do all the QR codes lead to the same place?

No need to use the exact pieces as long as the pattern is exactly the same. All plates show the same QR code as far as I can tell.

22 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

It seems like there is no picture for the Ollivanders:Scribbulus module. We don't get a decent look at the top floor of Ollivanders.

I am a bit disappointed with the lack of books and wand boxes in this set. Most of them seem to be brickbuilt with only one or two wand boxes and books being made with the specific pieces. Not a massive issue but a bit unfortunate. 

I don’t think they’d be making great big stacks of books using the book pieces with no studs!

2 minutes ago, Hot4Voldemort said:

No need to use the exact pieces as long as the pattern is exactly the same. All plates show the same QR code as far as I can tell.

Wonderful! Thank you for the clarification!

31 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

His torso is also dark red, rather than reddish brown.

I wasn’t sure if that was just the render or if it’s the minifig. Can’t tell from the box leak...

24 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

It seems like there is no picture for the Ollivanders:Scribbulus module. We don't get a decent look at the top floor of Ollivanders.

I am a bit disappointed with the lack of books and wand boxes in this set. Most of them seem to be brickbuilt with only one or two wand boxes and books being made with the specific pieces. Not a massive issue but a bit unfortunate. 

I feel the same way. It’s a bit of a bummer to not get many actual books in a book store(also looking at you Modular Bookshop). But they couldn’t make that stack of books in F&B without being  brick built, so I get that. I would’ve liked a handful of wand boxes though. 

Just been taking some time to absorb those new pics. That one picture of Florish & Blotts store front seals it for me...favourite set ever.

I’ve always loved Lego buildings ever since I was a kid. The modulars have fascinated me for years but never pulled the trigger. The closed backs, depth, mash of architectural styles, the cost to get 3 or 4....

I’ve always felt Lego could do with something slightly smaller and easier to form a street diorama...but with more detail and realism than City or Creator 3:1.

Now we have it, a ‘midi modular’ format that gives a cohesive street scene equivalent to four modulars in one set...and it’s Diagon Alley!

Literally can’t wait.

Ok...the last thing that confused me as much as TLG's announcement from today were my exams ??
12pm on August 31 would be a bit of a pain as a release date as I'll be at work at this point where the mobile reception isn't that stable (If you want to enjoy some abstinence from your smartphone, you definitely have to pay Germany a visit). Pressing the order button at midnight would be much more comfortable. 

17 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

I count four wand boxes and at least 2 book pieces. I agree that there cozld be more books but u can collect three more in CMF series hm? :)

You could collect the CMF series but that's a completely unrelated separate product. A bookstore should come with more than 2 books. 

I'm also not sure where you're seeing four wand boxes. In the interior picture Ollivander is holding one, there is one on a shelf, and another (missing a lid) in the window. Regardless three or four wand boxes is a very low amount. There is no reason they couldn't have included a few more proper boxes instead of brickbuilt ones. 

I think I‘m in love :grin_wub: The amount of details is just astounding :thumbup: The moulded wand boxes are a welcome surprise too. I wonder if they‘ve designed that mould with an additional purpose in mind outside of HP, e.g. as greebling on SW UCS models.

Lockhart‘s face print looks very good, but I hope he‘s got an alternative facial expression too as this one is a tad too sinister for his DA appearance :laugh:

I fooled around in Photoshop a bit to try to fix the infamous Pink Block, and it seems harder than imagined. Pink looks a lot better than a lot of them.  I think there is something i don't like in the build itself, it needs more than a change of color. For now the bests choices seems to be a kind of nougat.

Link to the edits https://imgur.com/a/O8224mu

Edited by Msjol

14 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

Regardless three or four wand boxes is a very low amount. There is no reason they couldn't have included a few more proper boxes instead of brickbuilt ones.

I would've wished some more colors as well. Some other decent ones like dark tan, dark blue, dark green, olive green would've been an even greater addition. Maybe they come in more colors in the future. But I don't want to put my hopes up too much as I hoped the same thing for the 2x2x1 boxes. But the color selection for those is still lame af ??

It's kind of weird that this set looks better to me spaced out than in a line :shrug_oh_well:

As great as this set it, unfortunately it's pushing me towards not buying HP sets anymore. I just don't know how I can justify spending $400 on a set, which I have no idea how I'm going to display, when I'm buying a house and getting married soon. In general this year, the sets have been getting more expensive and harder to justify but this really puts it over the top for me. $720 (not including the minifigure series or Hedwig) for JUST this years sets is kind of crazy, I've been getting rid of other stuff of my LEGO wish list to accommodate HP, but it feels like I'd be better suited cutting out these sets to still be able to buy more than a couple sets a year :sceptic:

But that's just me, for the people who can afford this theme it really is wonderful! I'm so glad that LEGO is giving us more playsets and less vehicles (which makes sense for HP but still)

16 minutes ago, Msjol said:

I fooled around in Photoshop a bit to try to fix the infamous Pink Block, and it seems harder than imagined. Pink looks a lot better than a lot of them.  I think there is something i don't like in the build itself, it needs more than a change of color. For now the bests choices seems to be a kind of nougat.

What would really be the best is the old pink, a bit lighter in tone and not as vibrant

2 minutes ago, Marvelous Spidey said:

It's kind of weird that this set looks better to me spaced out than in a line :shrug_oh_well:

As great as this set it, unfortunately it's pushing me towards not buying HP sets anymore. I just don't know how I can justify spending $400 on a set, which I have no idea how I'm going to display, when I'm buying a house and getting married soon. In general this year, the sets have been getting more expensive and harder to justify but this really puts it over the top for me. $720 (not including the minifigure series or Hedwig) for JUST this years sets is kind of crazy, I've been getting rid of other stuff of my LEGO wish list to accommodate HP, but it feels like I'd be better suited cutting out these sets to still be able to buy more than a couple sets a year :sceptic:

But that's just me, for the people who can afford this theme it really is wonderful! I'm so glad that LEGO is giving us more playsets and less vehicles (which makes sense for HP but still)

As long as LEGO doesn't make UCS sets that get added to the minifigscale Hogwarts lineup I'm completely fine with it. It's not like there's an ongoing line of DA sets that would sit there with a giant gap in it if you decided to skip this set, it's pretty much a standalone thing (bar the inevitable Gringotts ofc). 

Absolutely Love it! Now only save some cash for it...

is that the Dirty Harry figure that leaked, I see on one of the pictures of the diagonal alley set?????

1 minute ago, Magnum said:

Absolutely Love it! Now only save some cash for it...

is that the Dirty Harry figure that leaked, I see on one of the pictures of the diagonal alley set?????

The alternate face is the same, but the torso on the leaked one is from PS, the one in the set is CoS Harry.

In some of the new leaked photos today, I could see a lot of bricks that accept the connection pins at the base of each building, suggesting something could connect with the backside.  It seems like this series of buildings are meant to be expanded.

Sorry if this has already been covered.  This thread is growing so rapidly, I can't possibly keep up.

6 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

As long as LEGO doesn't make UCS sets that get added to the minifigscale Hogwarts lineup I'm completely fine with it. It's not like there's an ongoing line of DA sets that would sit there with a giant gap in it if you decided to skip this set, it's pretty much a standalone thing (bar the inevitable Gringotts ofc). 

Right, like I said I'm not opposed to it, just noting that it's very expensive and maybe prohibitively expensive for me. It is a little frustrating that I'd be missing out on Lockhart and Lucius if I skip it though since they were at the top of my list of missing minifigures I wanted at the end of the last wave with Ginny :shrug_oh_well:

5 minutes ago, wooster said:

In some of the new leaked photos today, I could see a lot of bricks that accept the connection pins at the base of each building, suggesting something could connect with the backside.  It seems like this series of buildings are meant to be expanded.

Sorry if this has already been covered.  This thread is growing so rapidly, I can't possibly keep up.

I would bet that we're getting a second D2C DA with the other shops and Gringotts in 2 years. "Gringotts and Alley Shops" or something like that

46 minutes ago, Msjol said:

Nice edits! None of those colors are working for me, though. I think a consistent red is the only thing I could consider changing it too. 

Does anyone know the street order of the other side? Are there enough well-known buildings to make another D2C? Besides Gringotts that is.

2 minutes ago, Crookshanks said:

Are we getting a owl in a new color in the set?

Nope, all 3 owls are reused

2 minutes ago, Modal said:

Are there enough well-known buildings to make another D2C? Besides Gringotts that is.

Madam Malkin's, the Magical Managerie and Eeylops Owl Emporium I'd say

On 8/20/2020 at 6:09 PM, BacktoBricks said:

They are great sets so I would hate for you to miss out on them! Hope you can get them. ?

Managed to get Great Hall and Carriage through fb marketplace - just the graveyard duel now!