Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

31 minutes ago, Modal said:

Anyone else still figuring out how they’re going to display this set? I’m thinking of getting a nice 49’ desk for my bedroom, which can fit this set. Once we add Gringotts though it’s all up in the air. So long!

I'm going to have to split the 102cm length across two glass cabinets. Unfortunately they are not stood right together so there will be a gap, but the two sections of the street will be on the same level just a little apart. There should also be enough room for Gringotts to be added at one end this way too. It's not the ideal solution, but best I can do.

3 hours ago, thenudeorganist said:

I don't necessarily have a problem with the amount, but the quality . As stated by many, Lucius should have gotten a unique faceprint. The Bruce Wayne is just grumpy, whereas an arrogant face would have represented Lucius the best imo. I also don't like the colour of his (and Draco's hair) as tan fits much better (heck, even white would look better than yellow imo) Also for some reason the DP photographer looks dreadful in my eyes :D Might be the short legs and the massive hair/hat piece. For me, the selection could've been enhanced by replacing Hagrid with Arthur with his hat (recolour of the Death Eater/Wizard hat). 

Exactly. Of course I wanted more figures like Arthur with his pointy hat, and Rita Skeeter though that would've been a bit of a stretch, but the current selection could've worked just fine had they gotten a bit more love (English brainfart here, did I say it correctly? XD)

To be honest looking at the side of the box with the minifig lineup doesn't light me up much. I don't know if it's the lack of legprints or what, they look like well done minifigures in Studio/Mecabricks/whatever using existing pieces and prints only. Even the new prints don't stand out much? But of course I'm a victim of consumerism and I will get it anyway huh

1 hour ago, Vindicare said:

There’s no way they would’ve left Hagrid out of a Diagon Alley set, he’s way too crucial to it in this setting. I would say it would be nice to at least get a variant...but what else is there?

Fair enough, Hagrid is definitely an appropriate inclusion but I would've replaced him with Arthur because he could have gotten a new variant + he was in F&B which is certainly the focus of the set (minifigure-wise at least). Hagrid would arguable be more relevant in a Gringott's or Leaky Cauldron set.

Just now, Otherworld said:

and Rita Skeeter though that would've been a bit of a stretch

Would love to get her but I never thought she would be in DA solely because of Lego's strive to screen accuracy (*cough* Lochart's robes *cough*). She should've been in the CMF. This year's wave has had printing-wise very disappointing figures in the larger sets (namely Burrow and DA) compared to the previous waves. The builds have been phenomenal, which is more important, but it's a real shame considering our only chances of getting unique, detailed versions of beloved characters were in the CMF. Reused, not-fitting faceprints and a lack of leg/skirt printing is a real bummer.

43 minutes ago, Modal said:

Anyone else still figuring out how they’re going to display this set? I’m thinking of getting a nice 49’ desk for my bedroom, which can fit this set. Once we add Gringotts though it’s all up in the air. So long!

28E7F4C9-8742-48BC-A3E9-99BCA992511E

I reorganised some stuff and now I have the space necessary to display it in its full glory :laugh: I had to sacrifice my Indiana Jones sets for it (AGAIN), but it‘ll be worth it

Do you guys prefer new pieces and stickers/prints for the builds over new prints and molds for minifigs? Or the other way around? Like many, I like both but minifigs are always the "magnet" factor to me. 

Edited by Otherworld

7 minutes ago, Otherworld said:

Do you guys prefer new pieces and stickers/prints for the buildings over new prints and molds for minifigs? Or the other way around? Like many, I like both but minifigs are always the "magnet" factor to me. 

Minifigures every time. :excited:

2 hours ago, YetiZombie said:

But if you're an army builder, you probably won't be buying several $400 sets anyway. You'd be buying the other cheaper sets or the CMFs (which have Gryffindor torsos too). And if this is your first HP set, I'm sure you'd appreciate having unique torsos for the different characters. It just adds to the immersion of the scene being represented.

I wouldn't be buying the set for just the figures especially at $400.  I was just saying this is an opportunity to create some other students using the robes from the trio & Draco.  People were complaining about the character specific outfits in the CMF being too specific to be used for anyone but the character they represent other than a generic fig to add to another theme entirely and now they're complaining about the generic torso in this set.  Just trying to give an positive option how to use the torsos differently for those who find them too generic.  I would have preferred there be a slight difference between the robes like in CMF series 1 but it won't keep me from buying the set.  But I'll make the best of it if I decide to use them for other students.  Nice touch in RoR that Luna's torso has her pendant but makes it harder to use the torso for another Ravenclaw if you look closely.

1 hour ago, Modal said:

I use this bookcase from Target to display my Hogwarts sets and I just ordered another one for Diagon Alley and Gringott’s. The bookcase is nearly 54 inches long, which is perfect for a linear display of the collections. I also have several of their taller bookcases in this style. They’re the perfect depth for using small LEGO sets as bookends.

https://www.target.com/p/32-carson-horizontal-bookcase-with-adjustable-shelves-threshold-153/-/A-14546221

zKpGhLu.jpg

Yay, first post.

New DA set:  I am very pleased.  At first view of the box, there was awe, and some confusion.  I showed my wife, and her response was "You've already built half of those building, you don't need this set, right?"  (we'll just have to wait and see...)

I collect, I model, I love miniature representation of 'items of significance'.  So once I had something to look at I started looking for 'source' material to compare it to.  I started with the link posted 50 pages back of the google maps tour of the DA sound stage.  I took note of how well the designers captured the details of WWW (I had built up a MOC of it, so I was keen on the differences).  But I thought they had taken great liberties with the rest of the buildings.  Then I came across someone's post that mentioned the order and coloring of the buildings matched the movies, so I dug out the DVDs and watched the scenes in The Sorcerer's Stone and The Chamber of Secrets.  Oh, WOW! Exact matches down the line!  The details are all correct, the sequence is all correct, the coloring is all correct (with the understandable limits of the Lego palette)  Even the pink on QQS and the size is right when you start doing relative comparisons with the other buildings and storefronts.  As someone else said (sorry, I'll get better with the quote/credit thing) the model is correct to the first movie, and the Daily Prophet door and WWW are accurate to The Half-Blood Prince representations.  So Lego only took the liberty of mashing them together to make a better overall set.  I'm good with that.  By The HBP, there was some storefront changes and Scribbulus had moved to the other side of Ollivanders, but these were probably construction cost considerations than had negligible effects to the few shots in the 6th movie.  And after looking at my local small home-town down town, things change over time.  So it seems right that Diagon Alley changes over time too.

As for characters, they seem appropriate.  Molly's outfit looks right for the scene with Lockheart where he's wearing his blue robes... (I appreciate the person who dug up the press photo of Lockheart in the Lilac outfit...  'Oh, so that's where it came from')  Okay, Lockheart seems like a miss, but the representation of everyone else seems right.  Go back and watch the scenes again, convince yourself if you feel differently.  And don't beat me up about Lucious and his head.  I don't have enough experience with the Batman lego to form an argument here. :enough:

I've only returned to Lego in the last 4 years as my younger daughter showed interest in Harry Potter Lego when she was 9. As for the golden trio being a bit common cloaked, I can live with that too.  I've collected Star Wars action figures all of my life, :yoda: and when Hasbro started reissuing the original figures for the third or fourth time, I came to realize that while had them all, and wanted new ones, the kids who came of age for this type of stuff in the last few years didn't have the same opportunity to have them, so the reissues made more sense.

Is there more I could have hoped for in this set?  Yes, of course.  But I'm big on price per part, so I can probably convince the wife that this is a good buy.  (I'll get WWW at Christmas, Ollivanders for my birthday in January, QQS at Valentines.... I can work with that too!)

Edited by more awesomer

so is it confirmed this mystery $30 set is coming out this year? is it also confirmed to be a GWP? what are the chances its the inferi cave. Its kinda random, but I feel it is important enough to warrant a set

Edited by Surge

25 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

I use this bookcase from Target to display my Hogwarts sets and I just ordered another one for Diagon Alley and Gringott’s. The bookcase is nearly 54 inches long, which is perfect for a linear display of the collections. I also have several of their taller bookcases in this style. They’re the perfect depth for using small LEGO sets as bookends.

https://www.target.com/p/32-carson-horizontal-bookcase-with-adjustable-shelves-threshold-153/-/A-14546221

I love this - probably my favorite arrangement of the yearly sets! I would definitely consider this bookshelf, though I’m just leasing a house right now and am trying to keep my furniture to a minimum. Will definitely consider though!

1 minute ago, Surge said:

so is it confirmed this mystery 30$ set is coming out this year? is it also confirmed to be a GWP? what are the chances its the inferi cave. Its kinda random, but I feel it is important enough to warrant a set

Given the leaked Harry first year Diagon Alley minifigure, IF it is a GWP (not confirmed), for $30 I think the most likely set is, like many have mentioned, the brick wall part of The Leaky Cauldron

2 minutes ago, 7982Brick2 said:

What’s all this talk about a mystery $30 set? 

A few months ago, a leak of a Harry minifigure in his clothes when he first goes to Diagon Alley in PS show up on Instagram. Naturally, we all thought it was going to be his mold for the Diagon Alley set, but now that we know that it is not included, and the fact that someone found data of an HP 4 set on Lego.com for $30 (Diagon Alley is HP 3), we are assuming that it is a GWP similar to the micro scale Diagon Alley that came in 2018.

Someone can chime in if I am not understanding the logic properly :pir-tongue:

Edited by Modal

6 minutes ago, Modal said:

Given the leaked Harry first year Diagon Alley minifigure, IF it is a GWP (not confirmed), for $30 I think the most likely set is, like many have mentioned, the brick wall part of The Leaky Cauldron

that does make the most sense, but I just cant imagine a big wall being worth $30

9 hours ago, RealGeronimo11 said:

Alright, I just wanna say that I was quoting Hagrid, but yes, I did say I'd eat a kettle, so I'll see you guys in a couple of months after my jaw and stomach replacement surgery :laugh:

:roflmao::iamded_lol:

I certainly wouldnt hold you to it haha! But I certainly am surprised they've left it this close to the release... 

First time post. I'm extremely excited for this set. I think it's pretty awesome the fact that the buildings we are getting could possibly be modular in design, so that means, if you wanted to, you could essentially connect them together and have half be muggle DA, and the other being wizard DA. To be quite honest, I don't really mind all the minifigs were getting, this is going to be a fun set to build. 

I started getting back into LEGO after a long hiatus (with I think my last set before I came back being the Aquanauts series). Ended up picking up the pirates of the Caribbean set, then Disney castle, and everything went uphill from there. I've made it my goal to collect as many 2000+ piece sets as I could, and so far I have alot of them, including two NINJAGO City sets because I enjoyed building it so much, then, I waited borderline 6 months after it's release to pickup a Millenium Falcon (Lego for whatever reason, weren't prepared to sell out of the set prior to it releasing). Last HP purchase was Hogwarts Castle, and unfortunately, I never thought Lego allowed pre orders until it was too late. So what's everyone's take on Lego releasing this to the VIPs two weeks before it rolls out of regular customers, and do you think they will have a pre order?? I'd rather be able to pick it up day one I stead of having to call Lego up and beg for one day shipping (which so far, they've been really cool about). Other than that, this whole discussion is making me have anxiety because I want to start building it so bad, reminds me of Hogwarts/Millenium Falcons release.

3 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Definetely agree with this, Hagrid's inclusion is fine. The only variant we haven't gotten yet is Care of Magical Creatures

Ah true. I suppose it would’ve been nice, and at least somewhat fitting, to get that version in his Hut set. And then another regular version in DA as is. 

1 hour ago, thenudeorganist said:

Fair enough, Hagrid is definitely an appropriate inclusion but I would've replaced him with Arthur because he could have gotten a new variant + he was in F&B which is certainly the focus of the set (minifigure-wise at least). Hagrid would arguable be more relevant in a Gringott's or Leaky Cauldron set.

Oh, we’ll likely get him in that set as well. But you make a good point as the overall focus of this set on the second movie where Hagrid is definitely not relevant. I’d happily trade him for Arthur. 

4 hours ago, broadwaybocaj said:

I know its unrelated - but its related if you think about making space for Diagon alley. The two BIG sets i have are the disney castle (very dirty dusty grimey) and the  Disneyland Entrance....I'm thinking one will need to be taken apart - maybe some other modulars.....Can someone tell me where i can look for tips on how to BEST dismantle the sets....DO I read the directions in reverse? Etc. Etc. Any help is appreciated.  

What I do is get some Ziploc bags (for however many bags came included with the set, take a sharpie and label "bag 1 of (total number), Millenium Falcon". I then work backwards from the last page and disconnect it piece by piece. If it's a big chunk, i will turn to the first step of it and that makes it faster. If the set has some pieces that go into their own box inside the main box, then I stick the corresponding numbered bag inside. When you're finished, everything will be organized. 

2 hours ago, Modal said:

I’m building an extension in the roof like the Burrow, just for this set :wink:

Nah, I have no idea... my bedrooms gonna need some serious rearranging!

Man I really hope we get the PS Harry minifig at the same time or right after DA comes out. It's gonna be so weird posing Harry inside Ollivander's with his Gryffindor torso.

2 hours ago, Modal said:

I want to display the street in two sections to make an actual alley. However, I don't have 50cm-deep shelves. I'll have to see if I get something larger from Ikea or if I just put on my desk. If I have no choice, I'll just display it with all building on the same side, connected to each other on some of my Algot shelves.

Between this, the Colosseum and the Ninjago City Gardens, I'm gonna need one of those huge storage shelves units you usually see in garages.

1 hour ago, more awesomer said:

As for the golden trio being a bit common cloaked, I can live with that too.  I've collected Star Wars action figures all of my life, :yoda: and when Hasbro started reissuing the original figures for the third or fourth time, I came to realize that while had them all, and wanted new ones, the kids who came of age for this type of stuff in the last few years didn't have the same opportunity to have them, so the reissues made more sense.

I think this is a very different situation to action figure rereleases. When figures are re-released it is because the original figure is hard to find or off the market. Griffindor uniforms are very easy and inexpensive to buy on the aftermarket and they are currently found in various inexpensive sets, activity books, and even a CMF. No kid (or their parents) is buying a $400 set for Griffindor uniforms. 

The main reason people are annoyed is because these figures are not wearing the costumes they wore onscreen. They wore capes over casual clothes but LEGO has given them robes for some reason. 

44 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

The main reason people are annoyed is because these figures are not wearing the costumes they wore onscreen. They wore capes over casual clothes but LEGO has given them robes for some reason. 

I mean, it’s almost impossible to say for sure until we get proper high res pics of the figs, but aren’t those black cloaks exactly what they’re wearing in the set? The black cloaks are part of their school kits and have their house crests on them after all. I’m not willing to say they aren’t wearing screen accurate outfits until we get a high resolution look at the front and back of those torsos. 

Can we please stop expecting that absolutely every figure be precisely accurate to the movie depictions.  Yes it would be nice but if one is going off the books we really have no way of knowing exactly what each character was wearing outside of the book descriptions.  I'm okay with the generic robes though wished for variants.  I'm just happy we are getting this set & it looks really awesome.  While it's missing some major shops like Madame Malkins & Eyelops it is generally depicting a scene from the second book.  Hopefully we will get more buildings at some point but between some of the drawings & the Studio Google view there is enough source material for those who want to MOC some of the other buildings.  This will be my first attempt since I don't have the original set.  I'm currently working on trying to recreate two of the original buildings from my huge stash of extra bricks from basic sets.  I know I will be needing to order some parts but I'm mostly interested in the buildings themselves rather than the figures and such that came with them.

12 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

I mean, it’s almost impossible to say for sure until we get proper high res pics of the figs, but aren’t those black cloaks exactly what they’re wearing in the set? The black cloaks are part of their school kits and have their house crests on them after all. I’m not willing to say they aren’t wearing screen accurate outfits until we get a high resolution look at the front and back of those torsos. 

Looking closer at the torsos it looks like the shirt colours underneath the robes match their legs (meaning that they vary based on what the leg colour is) but I guess we'll have to wait and see for sure.