Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

4 minutes ago, deskp said:

The leaky cauldron,  what is it people want from this really?  the interior?  cause the exterior, especially as it relates to diagon alley, isn't too special or recognizable.

No need for that big set, the size of Burrow / astronomy tower   seems perfectly fine for what gringotts is.

Leaky Cauldron: just its presence for me really. Doesn’t need to be huge or have loads of minifigs or detail. It’s just the doorway to the Muggle world and that’s cool (I guess I just want a door and a sign lol). Also it’s A nice contrast to the busy bright DA. 

Gringotts: I agree. Doesn’t need to be a gigantic set. Dragon doesn’t need to be too much more than the Hungarian Horntail (I think the Creator dragons show that you don’t need tons of pieces to make a good dragon). And a Slightly smaller than Great Hall building would be perfect. 

Hello everyone! I discovered this topic (yes, the topic leaded me to the forum and not the other way around!) 2-3 months ago and have been catching up with the 500 pages. I love to read all your theories, but I felt like I never had anything to say... til now! :

I am also a bit disappointed with the fact that, apparently, there will be no Gringotts; but I also think it will become a stand-alone set with the dragon next year. I am more concerned though with the lack of Eeylops Owl Emporium and Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions, but then I realized about something: these two shops were represented (in a way) in the Hermione's set of 2001, as this set had a little shop with animals and another one with cloaks and hats (well, yes, also books and potions...). These two shops are also for me very iconic and could present a lot of playability for kids as well: change the appearance of minifigures, get them new pets... So here is the thing: what if we would get a new version of them (as stand-alones, like Gringotts) in future waves too? Since they are remaking some of the old sets. I personally loved this one as kid*!

On the other hand, I must confess that this also reassures me: I know the set is going to be gorgeous anyway, so I am really looking for excuses to not buy it! (I know, it is normally in the other way around). So for me this is now like: "Oh, well, no Gringotts? no Leaky Cauldron? Good! I don't need to buy anymore :laugh: ".

*To shortly introduce myself (hopefully it is not too off-topic, plus sorry for this long post): I am a Spanish expat living in Belgium and big fan of Harry Potter (Ravenclaw here!) and Lego (mostly HP, but I have a bunch of other sets from my childhood, plus the new HP, some Star Wars microfighters and City/Space sets; also Lego PC games). My first Lego Harry Potter was the Hogwarts castle of 2001, when I was around 9-10, together with Hogwarts classrooms (Harry's set) and Gryffindor house (Ron's set). I never got myself Hermione's one, but I loved it so much. And that was it with the "vintage" sets, until (to deal better with the lockdown) my boyfriend brought from his parents' house his own old HP sets from 2001: another Hogwarts castle, The sorting hat, The final challenge, Diagon Alley Shops (Hermione's set!!), Troll on the Loose, Escape from Privet Drive, Aragog in the Dark Forest and Slytherin. Together with these (3+8), we also have 6 sets from the 2018 wave (Aragog, Great Hall, Whomping Willow, Hogwarts Express, Quidditch Match and Grindelwald's Escape), 7 sets from the 2019 wave (Expecto Patronum, Hagrid's Hut, Clock Tower, Knight Bus, Beauxbatons’ Carriage, The Rise of Voldemort and Advent Calendar) and so far 3 sets from the 2020 wave (The Burrow, Astronomy tower and Room of Requirement; these two last ones waiting for next birthday and Christmas -our way to justify the Lego sets!), although I am considering to buy Privet Drive since it costs right now 50 euro in the Dutch Amazon. We also bought some minifigs from the first collection. And, all right, that is. Sorry for this part, I felt like it was right to introduce myself when coming as new to this place :classic:.

Edited by Shiene

I think discussing the potential Gringotts set‘s size is a bit premature :wink: We first need to see DA before we can estimate how big that set would have to be in order to fit in. And there‘s no reason to assume it‘s going to be anything but a regular set, it’s been well established that the HP D2C sets get released every two years :tongue:

1 minute ago, sammy_zammy said:

The leaky cauldron,  what is it people want from this really?  the interior?  cause the exterior, especially as it relates to diagon alley, isn't too special or recognizable.

Personally, ever since we know that the DA set will be a long line of buildings, I'd love for it to be open on the side, with the front being a generic building and the back a generic brick wall leading to the DA set!

It could be also cool for the possible scenes set in there (the pub, two rooms, the stairs etc) while also not being terribly huge! And having only 3 walls it would make it look even better on display with DA :)

58 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

As someone who grew up with the books first and then the movies, Gringotts is synonymous with Diagon Alley for me. It's there before Weasley's Wizard Wheezes becomes a huge part of the street and it's where Hagrid takes Harry on entering DA to not only withdraw his money but also the Philosopher's Stone.

However, I asked my mum this question this morning after I saw the DA description, but not telling her why I was asking: 'When I say Diagon Alley, what building/s do you think of first?'

Her response was: 'Ollivanders, then the sweet shop (she meant Weasley's Wizard Wheezes), and the owl shop (Eyelops).'

'Anything else?' I prompted her. 

'No.'

'Not Gringotts?'

Her response: 'No because I don't really think of that as part of Diagon Alley because in the movies it's not really part of the "street".'

So that was an interesting response from someone who is the parent of someone who was obsessed with the books and listened to the audiobooks on repeat as a child, but who themselves (apart from overhearing said audiobooks) has experienced Harry Potter more through the movies and then the studio tour. And looking at the clip of DA in Philosopher's Stone, it is a case of Hagrid and Harry walking down a very narrow and packed street and then Gringotts being a completely separate building at the end, and the studio tour also kind of separates Gringotts from the street because it's such a big thing on it's own now with the entrance hall, then the vaults and the dragon all happening before you then walk out into the 'alley'.

Does that mean that all more casual HP consumers will have the same impression and want to spend a lot of money on a DA without Gringotts? No. But it does show that Gringotts is not a necessary part of DA for all.

That's very interesting! I might pose that question to my family as well and see what they think. My mom is as big of a fan as I am and my sister loves the movies but I don't think she's ever read the books (she asked to borrow mine recently but they're packed up in storage until I move into my new house 

Looking at some of the maps made of Diagon Alley, it seems that Lego are definitely trying to recreate 1 side of the alley, which leaves it possible for other, more iconic, one off buildings to come later. Check out the link below for the different maps used as official reference points throughout the years.

http://aphaia.org/diagon-alley-maps/

I'd love to get this set on release if I like it, but I'd also want to have a guarantee that Gringotts would be a single set instead of coming in another 300$+ D2C. Unfortunately, a guarantee is not possible...

Eurobricks: “21 new posts, go to first new post”

Me: “wait it’s only been 20 minutes what’s happened?”

*checks Instagram, nothing*
*checks EB, only 3 new posts*

Darn it, Eurobricks, you got me excited

2 minutes ago, bluedog1111 said:

Is a reveal likely today?

Yes, but by no means certain.  :wink:

5 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

Yes, but by no means certain.  :wink:

If today is when lego just shows us the cmf as if we haven't all seen it I'm gonna be so dissapointed...

Come join me on the conjecture train, and excuse my American Imperial dimensions.  A 40" wide by 5" deep baseplate is (4) 32x16 stud baseplates or (8) 16x16 stud plates linear.  Using Pet Shop 10218 as reference that set is roughly 2000 pcs and 10" wide by 10" deep.  So each side is 5" wide x 10" deep x 10.5" high and about 1000 pcs.  So I'm guessing we're getting (4) 16x32 baseplates (or plates) with each one having an open backed 2 story building with an additional marginally habitable loft space under the roof on the third floor and 1000 pcs each with the remaining 1000 pcs being for small 1x1 tiles and floor pieces.  So basically 4 pet shops together sideways.  I think each buildings footprint will be similar allowing second and third floors to be interchanged.  I'm hoping they don't include 2-4 studs infront of the building faces for cobblestone alley because while it would add to display it would detract from interior details and useability.  I also think this set is going to sell like hotcakes despite the hefty price tag because everyones' modular streetscapes are going to include the modular design.  I also think the modular design may afford them to start doing one Hogwarts add-on and one DA add-on set a wave or just DA add-ons as they run out of Hogwarts sets.  (FYI, in the time it took me to type this there were 7 new posts and there hasn't even been a reveal.  It's going to be madness)

Edited by Willworkfortoys

8 minutes ago, Bainter-ban said:

I guess we will find out in about 40 minutes... :)

I’ll give them until 10 AM Eastern before giving up again.  :laugh:

8 minutes ago, Thieda said:

If today is when lego just shows us the cmf as if we haven't all seen it I'm gonna be so dissapointed...

I think the CMF and Diagon Alley reveals are going to be combined at this point, but I’m probably wrong about that, too.  :grin:

So do we think it has the brick wall that opens on to the Alley. And if not, do you think that makes a Leaky Cauldron set more likely?

46 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

As long as Gringotts isn’t part of a D2C, I don’t mind too much.  These days, I believe $170 US is the cut-off price before it has to be a D2C.  That would be more than enough for a quality Gringotts, even taking into account the dragon.  

Price doesn't matter when it comes to wether or not a set is a D2C. Some D2C's are as cheap as $80 and there are non-D2C sets going up to $170

Just now, Zepthire said:

So do we think it has the brick wall that opens on to the Alley. And if not, do you think that makes a Leaky Cauldron set more likely?

Yes to the wall, but not sure about a future Leaky Cauldron set.  I don’t think it has anything to do with the fact that it’s a pub.  It’s just not that visually or architecturally compelling of a location.  

3 minutes ago, Zepthire said:

To me it just looks like a translation error as pointed out earlier. And on top of that I don't really see why they would include the entrance but not the Cauldron itself :def_shrug:

Edited by Guyon2002

1 minute ago, Guyon2002 said:

To me it just looks like a translation error as pointed out earlier. And on top of that I don't really see why they would include the entrance but not the Cauldron itself :def_shrug:

I could see the entrance as a neat play feature and something iconic with or without the LC. I think you are right about the translation and it won't be in the set.

3 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

Yes to the wall, but not sure about a future Leaky Cauldron set.  I don’t think it has anything to do with the fact that it’s a pub.  It’s just not that visually or architecturally compelling of a location.  

I think it's quite recognisable as a location and to me an English pub has quite a cool vibe/style with or without the HP license (similar to Privet Drive being a nice British style house). I think there are a number of decent scenes and events in the LC and the bar area downstairs and a bedroom upstairs would be a decent set.

6 minutes ago, Zepthire said:

I think it's quite recognisable as a location and to me an English pub has quite a cool vibe/style with or without the HP license

There's nothing quite like an English pub! 

3 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

@Marvelous Spidey I'd be really interested to hear their responses, and if anybody else asks anybody the same question. ?

Asked my mum and sister the same thing. My mum said Gringotts and WWW would be the most important and for my sister it's WWW and Ollivanders

Just out of curiosity when people keep saying they expect a reveal at a certain time in the day or it wont happen that day... what time are you referring to and what is the significance of that time? Sounding like it's between 11pm and 12pm in Eastern Australia, so nothing significant about the time here! :-D

Asked my mother as well and she's team Ollivander lol 

She considers Gringott something else, like almost another street 

PS: so a possible reveal in 5?

14 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

@Marvelous Spidey I'd be really interested to hear their responses, and if anybody else asks anybody the same question. ?

"Immediately? Flourish & Blotts (the bookshop)"