Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

12 hours ago, Terrasher said:

I hope. I have no idea if the HP tax is as big as the SW tax, which has become ludicrous lately.

5444 pieces? I'd love that. 400$? I hope it translates to 500CAD max. After all, the Sian was 380USD and 490CAD, so there's hope.

Disney/SW are much more greedy than HP, just look at the similar prices sets. Because of that I have always thought that DA would get over 5000 parts instead of around 4000 :wink:

9 hours ago, spiderfan2000 said:

Woah, so I guess this means no Gringotts?  This all but confirms that it will be a set next year.  Personally, I'm more disappointed that the Leaky Cauldron doesn't seem to be included, as that would have a smaller chance of getting its own set compared to Gringotts.  I wonder what the odds are of this set getting an expansion are?  It doesn't seem impossible if the Ninjago Movie could get both the Ninjago City and the Ninjago City Docks sets.

There are so much left out so I think we might get a new D2C in a couple of years or at least several normal sets that can be added :grin:

8 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

-snip magical creatures, -snip sounds very promising. 

Better be some owls at least :tongue:

8 hours ago, Modal said:

Iisn’t there an owl store? Maybe there will be some caged owls to represent that store without actually using the building.

The last D2C did that for owls and other stuff, but that is not how they do things any more, no compromises just make it how it looks or do not include it in the set :shrug_oh_well:

7 hours ago, Modal said:

also, I’m thinking the ice cream parlor and scribbulus were added for their diverse color (yellow and blue). You think that was a reason to add them? It’ll be a gorgeous set I’m sure

Must be, the only reason I can think of instead of including other more known shops :shrug_oh_well:

5 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

Mainly though I just can't stop thinking about scribbulus. What the hell is a scribbulus? Why is a scribbulus? How is a scribbulus? Whatever it is it's not as important as the leaky Cauldron so it must be a really interesting design. I assume it sells parchment and quills? I can't imagine LEGO designers being able to make that as exciting as they could probably make Eyelop's. 

:laugh:

This set is going to be fantastic :wub: I do not mind that several of the most famous buildings are not included, it can only mean that we are at least getting several stand-alone sets or maybe even a new D2C DA in a couple of years:moar:

48 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Thats interesting point of view. I dont think that closed backs means less or even no interior. As i said above, check modulars, they are super highly detaile inside out, on 25x25 cm footprint. I thionk that those shops will be obviously smaller, like 2 max 3 floors high. So I think that from 5400+ pcs u can make both back walls as well as interior details. Anyway, we will see in few moments :)

Modulars aren't really playsets though. The inside details are nice, but they are not really designed for getting hands inside once built. It will be interesting to see how they do these, whether it is more down the adult style "build and display" or the kid style "build and play".

I am so excited about this set. For me it doesn’t really matter if some of the iconic shops are kept aside for later. I rather focus on what we’ll get and I am sure Lego has done an amazing job.

I expect something similar to the last  Marvel Sanctum Sanctorium set in terms of building size and overall look. Just muuuuuuuch bigger!

I love this Marvel set so I am sure I will love Diagon Alley too!

Edited by Sirius1348

2 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

This set is going to be fantastic :wub: I do not mind that several of the most famous buildings are not included, it can only mean that we are at least getting several stand-alone sets or maybe even a new D2C DA in a couple of years:moar:

I would consider buying the D2C DA if I knew for sure that Gringotts will be released as a +/- 100 euro set. However, I would not be interested if I'll have to buy another 400 set to get my hands on Gringotts.

I'm actually baffled that Gringotts is supposedly not included, I feel like the reaction a lot of non-lego fans will have is "where is Diagon Alley?"

Can't believe we're finally getting a D2C Diagon Alley... I can't wait for the official pictures!

Here's a throwback to some posts I made a few years back:

September 2018:
"Bainter-ban replied to Robert8's topic in LEGO Licensed Please let it be diagon alley modular style. That would be like a dream come true. The original one is way too expensive now... and an update with more pieces and detail (even though at a higher price) would be spectacular. Although I think its more likely that they would save it for a late summer 2019 wave, because hogwarts just came out. But still, its probably a definite release as a d2c set, considered the massive anticipation for it?"

January 2019: 
"Bainter-ban replied to Robert8's topic in LEGO Licensed Now we have to get a Diagon Alley D2C set as well. The Knight Bus needs a destination : - ) *wishful thinking*"

I guess I got just what I wanted. :))

2 minutes ago, Legopls said:

I would consider buying the D2C DA if I knew for sure that Gringotts will be released as a +/- 100 euro set. However, I would not be interested if I'll have to buy another 400 set to get my hands on Gringotts

Same, actually.  I’m very fortunate enough to be in a situation where I can afford Diagon Alley this year, but there’s no guarantee my financial situation will hold.  Even if it does, I’m not planning on paying $800 total for a complete Alley, not to mention an inevitable Hogsmeade on top of that.  

11 minutes ago, MAB said:

Modulars aren't really playsets though. The inside details are nice, but they are not really designed for getting hands inside once built. It will be interesting to see how they do these, whether it is more down the adult style "build and display" or the kid style "build and play".

Really? Who told you that? :) Check once again official Lego description for every modular. One thing is that many AFOLS used it either in their cities layout or as a display model. Thats true. But that doesnt means that you cant play with it or even worse that its not intended to be played with. :)

6 minutes ago, Legopls said:

I would consider buying the D2C DA if I knew for sure that Gringotts will be released as a +/- 100 euro set. However, I would not be interested if I'll have to buy another 400 set to get my hands on Gringotts.

I'm actually baffled that Gringotts is supposedly not included, I feel like the reaction a lot of non-lego fans will have is "where is Diagon Alley?"

But DA is not Gringots. Thats a big misunderstanding of the lore. Gringots are just one of many buildings / businesses IN DA. That doesnet automatically mean that without Gringots its not DA. Anyway as many stated before including me, we can be 99% sure that Gringots will be released either as a standalone set (hopefully with a white dragon) or as a part of DA. And If you buy this set for 400 USD, I bet that you will buy its add on (like Gringots, Leaky Cauldron and maybe some other businesses) for lets say 300 USD next year. And if you want to wait till you'll be sure that Gringots actually be released, you can wait a year and then buy it alltogehter. :) 

3 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Really? Who told you that? :) Check once again official Lego description for every modular. One thing is that many AFOLS used it either in their cities layout or as a display model. Thats true. But that doesnt means that you cant play with it or even worse that its not intended to be played with. :)

Experience told me. Compare playing with a modular and an open back set.

9 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

Same, actually.  I’m very fortunate enough to be in a situation where I can afford Diagon Alley this year, but there’s no guarantee my financial situation will hold.  Even if it does, I’m not planning on paying $800 total for a complete Alley, not to mention an inevitable Hogsmeade on top of that.  

Thats the greatest think on whole Lego thing. You can decide what to buy, and what not :) 

5 minutes ago, MAB said:

Experience told me. Compare playing with a modular and an open back set.

Yours I guess. :) I dont like these speculation (no offense) and "guaranted" experienced guesses what is Lego for (specific set to be exact). Who r u to tell me what I should do with my set, (figuratively speaking) and what is the set for? Thats up to Lego consumer what he/she will do. Isnt it? For example I know many afols who plays even with modulars from now and then, making vids or just doing crazy things ... :D

Edited by Blazej_Holen

Basically smacking my head against my desk over the fact there's no Gringotts or Leaky Cauldron. I don't know if I can justify such an expensive set without the two bits I care about most. And if a Gringotts comes out next year, I'll also have a whole new wave of sets to buy so it's not like I'd buy the D2C at that point either.

Once Gringotts is released (the chances for next year have to be very high) theres a chance many who are disappointed with its exclusion may end up being glad the d2c focused on more obscure shops because when Gringotts is included it will look that much better :) 

7 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Thats the greatest think on whole Lego thing. You can decide what to buy, and what not :) 

Yours I guess. :) I dont like these speculation (no offense) and "guaranted" experienced guesses what is Lego for (specific set to be exact). Who r u to tell me what I should do with my set, (figuratively speaking) and what is the set for? Thats up to Lego consumer what he/she will do. Isnt it? For example I know many afols who plays even with modulars from now and then, making vids or just doing crazy things ... :D

Of course it is MY experience. I give MY opinions and no-one else's. I don't tell you how to play with your sets.

As I said, it will be interesting if these are closed back or open back - having to lift floors off to access play areas is very different to just putting hands in via the back. Enclosed builds typically mean the insides are  somewhat static hence designed more for display, whereas open back means it is easier to move things around hence designed more for play.

1 minute ago, MAB said:

Of course it is MY experience. I give MY opinions and no-one else's. I don't tell you how to play with your sets.

As I said, it will be interesting if these are closed back or open back - having to lift floors off to access play areas is very different to just putting hands in via the back. Enclosed builds typically mean the insides are  somewhat static hence designed more for display, whereas open back means it is easier to move things around hence designed more for play.

I think that those buildings could have combined accessibility for example like Old Fishing store and such. Anyway I am excited to see the final product :)

13 minutes ago, Legopls said:

As someone who grew up with the books first and then the movies, Gringotts is synonymous with Diagon Alley for me. It's there before Weasley's Wizard Wheezes becomes a huge part of the street and it's where Hagrid takes Harry on entering DA to not only withdraw his money but also the Philosopher's Stone.

However, I asked my mum this question this morning after I saw the DA description, but not telling her why I was asking: 'When I say Diagon Alley, what building/s do you think of first?'

Her response was: 'Ollivanders, then the sweet shop (she meant Weasley's Wizard Wheezes), and the owl shop (Eyelops).'

'Anything else?' I prompted her. 

'No.'

'Not Gringotts?'

Her response: 'No because I don't really think of that as part of Diagon Alley because in the movies it's not really part of the "street".'

So that was an interesting response from someone who is the parent of someone who was obsessed with the books and listened to the audiobooks on repeat as a child, but who themselves (apart from overhearing said audiobooks) has experienced Harry Potter more through the movies and then the studio tour. And looking at the clip of DA in Philosopher's Stone, it is a case of Hagrid and Harry walking down a very narrow and packed street and then Gringotts being a completely separate building at the end, and the studio tour also kind of separates Gringotts from the street because it's such a big thing on it's own now with the entrance hall, then the vaults and the dragon all happening before you then walk out into the 'alley'.

Does that mean that all more casual HP consumers will have the same impression and want to spend a lot of money on a DA without Gringotts? No. But it does show that Gringotts is not a necessary part of DA for all.

Really looking forward to this set!

Personally I prefer buildings with open backs since that means more pieces for details or bigger buildings.

The first shop I think of when I hear Diagon Alley is Ollivanders. Not really bothered by the lack of Gringotts or any other building in particular. As long as the buildings they put in there looks good I'll be happy. 

20 minutes ago, autolycus said:

Does anybody else think this leak confirms that the DA set will be microscale? ??

No. The description says:

'Authentic accessories and familiar minifigures from the Harry Potter™ movies make it possible to create a ‘living model’ with endless possibilities to rearrange and create new narratives.'

That means that unlike 71043 where it's microscale but minifigures are included for display outside of the set, the minifigures included with DA are meant to be displayed within the set. And whilst you can place minifigures inside a microscale building, they wouldn't create a 'living model' if they were that out of scale. ?

Edited by BacktoBricks

The DA description kinda makesbme think if the Gringott set might even be bigger than the other Hogwarts ones (like the Great Hall)

Like, what if the Gringott set that we'll (possibly) get costs something like 150€/200€? With 30€ for the Dragon and the rest for a majestic, highly detailed (outside-main hall-vaults) and yet fitting with the DA style Gringott set?

Also, about the current set we're getting: chances there is a road piece with pebbles? Like in the movies?

The leaky cauldron,  what is it people want from this really?  the interior?  cause the exterior, especially as it relates to diagon alley, isn't too special or recognizable.

Just now, SupesBatsy said:

The DA description kinda makesbme think if the Gringott set might even be bigger than the other Hogwarts ones (like the Great Hall)

Like, what if the Gringott set that we'll (possibly) get costs something like 150€/200€? With 30€ for the Dragon and the rest for a majestic, highly detailed (outside-main hall-vaults) and yet fitting with the DA style Gringott set?

Also, about the current set we're getting: chances there is a road piece with pebbles? Like in the movies?

No need for that big set, the size of Burrow / astronomy tower   seems perfectly fine for what gringotts is.

3 minutes ago, deskp said:

The leaky cauldron,  what is it people want from this really?  the interior?  cause the exterior, especially as it relates to diagon alley, isn't too special or recognizable.

No need for that big set, the size of Burrow / astronomy tower   seems perfectly fine for what gringotts is.

It’s iconic, and Diagon Alley just feels incomplete without it. It’s the way Harry experiences it, the Leaky Cauldron is the first step into the wizarding world in SS. As for Gringotts, I think Burrow or AT sizes would be fine but don’t forget there should also be a sizable dragon included so a $130 set or so would be perfect I think. I would gladly pay it

4 minutes ago, deskp said:

Agreed. One face of the building is a regular-looking pub and the other is the back-ally :tongue: The interior is iconic, but the exterior is nothing to write home about (which is also the point in-universe)

Just now, Balrogofmorgoth said:

It’s iconic, and Diagon Alley just feels incomplete without it. It’s the way Harry experiences it, the Leaky Cauldron is the first step into the wizarding world in SS. As for Gringotts, I think Burrow or AT sizes would be fine but don’t forget there should also be a sizable dragon included so a $130 set or so would be perfect I think. I would gladly pay it

As long as Gringotts isn’t part of a D2C, I don’t mind too much.  These days, I believe $170 US is the cut-off price before it has to be a D2C.  That would be more than enough for a quality Gringotts, even taking into account the dragon.  

5 minutes ago, SupesBatsy said:

the current set we're getting: chances there is a road piece with pebbles? Like in the movies?

I doubt it, since if it didn't run along the full 102 cm it would look a bit odd. Given the line that it is a "‘living model’ with endless possibilities to rearrange and create new narratives" I imagine it is a series of 7 stand alone buildings that can be placed / attached together in any order you like.

2 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

As for Gringotts, I think Burrow or AT sizes would be fine but don’t forget there should also be a sizable dragon included so a $130 set or so would be perfect I think.

There really isn't going to be a big enough display cabinet for all of this is there? ?