Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Did they ever release modular buildings in January that are linked to another theme? Do you think it possible that they're planning that for Gringotts?

1 minute ago, Nina said:

Did they ever release modular buildings in January that are linked to another theme? Do you think it possible that they're planning that for Gringotts?

Definitelly not. If Gringots will be standalone set, it would be released probably during next years summer or september.

A hell of a leak dropped while I was sleeping. 1 meter long, that's insane! 5544 pieces, madness! No Gringotts - preposterous. I initially thought they were trying to recreate a selected section of Diagon Alley as seen in WB Studio, complete row of shops from Ollivander's to WWW, but nope, QQS is opposite the Weasley's shop. Makes the exclusion of more prominent places even more perplexing.

"Measuring over 11” (29cm) high, 40” (102cm) wide and 5” (13cm) deep"

rmember this is the maximum measurement,  Do only expect Wealsey shop to be aprol 13cm deep, the rest of the shops most likely less,   that building is basicly 13x13

Gringotts is so iconic it needs to be the first building in a diagon alley set.
Gringotts is so iconic it deserves to be a stand alone set.

I am confused.

20 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Modulars are not good for display? :)

You’ve got be there ;) good argument about being able to make a full alley too. I don’t have enough space to do that display style justice (it’d just be a wall on a shelf so I’m biased I guess. I would just prefer tons of cool interior details than empty space with closed backs!

1 minute ago, sammy_zammy said:

You’ve got be there ;) good argument about being able to make a full alley too. I don’t have enough space to do that display style justice (it’d just be a wall on a shelf so I’m biased I guess. I would just prefer tons of cool interior details than empty space with closed backs!

Why do you think closed backs means no interior? :)

Very excited at all the news that’s coming through. Sounds like this going to be the Millennium Falcon of the Harry Potter theme. I’m sort of glad Gringotts isn’t in the set. I feel when you try and put too many aspects in one set it doesn’t always turn out perfectly. (Assault on Hoth). So this way LEGO can really focus on making a detailed Gringotts set next year or whenever.

9 minutes ago, deskp said:

rmember this is the maximum measurement,  Do only expect Wealsey shop to be aprol 13cm deep, the rest of the shops most likely less,   that building is basicly 13x13

I’m glad of this. I feel it’d be out of scale with Hogwarts if it was all this tall! But thankfully yes it’ll be including every sand green ski pole haha

Just now, Nikiforosdallas said:

Reveal today at 9am or 10am eastern. In a few hourse we'll know if my sleculations are correct.

How do you know it? Source?

7 hours ago, YetiZombie said:

One thing that I don't think people have mentioned - the description says the target age is 16 and over. That means this probably won't have the 18+ black box that a lot of people were afraid of :classic:

Thank goodness!

7 hours ago, Terrasher said:

One meter wide??? Holy smokes that is HUGE! I'm devastated about Gringotts not being included. It's going to be a really tough decision when the most well-known and important building is missing from DA.

It can't even fit in my glass display cabinet and there's no way I'm putting that thing on a shelf to get dusty. :facepalm: So as much as I would love to display it as one long street, hopefully you will be able to split it kind of like how @Lego-Freak says and then I will display it over two cabinets with the shelves at the same height. Still my cabinets don't touch so it won't look seamless. 

I feel your pain, but I think the only things about Gringotts not being there is that 1) we're bound to get it sometime, and 2) the fact that Lego would produce a set of this magnitude and cost that does not have one of the most iconic buildings of the street in just shows how far this line has come. Ignoring price issues for the moment, this approach allows us to get more of DA than we've ever gotten and it shows the amount of fan service they can put into the line. When you think that ten years ago, DA consisted of Gringotts, a part of another alley and Ollivanders, only one of which will now be in a 5000+ piece set and the rest will be all new buildings, we're now getting more HP than ever. I know cost is an issue for a lot of us, but I can't help but feel positive about that.

4 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

In a way, not including the two most iconic and/or important parts of Diagon Alley, the Leaky Cauldron and Gringotts, is a nice move for consumers and especially kids. Yes LEGO is a premium expensive item but the fact of the matter is that the huge sets like Diagon Alley will be out of reach for a lot of people.

Gringotts and the Leaky Cauldron can both work as standalone sets, which means more people and more kids will be able to access those important, recognisable locations.

This big set is going to be like a replica of the studio Diagon Alley. There are a lot of unrecognisable shops, but it's for devoted fans after all.

Whilst I'm not hopeful for a standalone Leaky Cauldron, that is a very good and positive reflection. The flip side of course is that Lego wants to squeeze as much money out of us all as possible, but as I said above, I can't help but feel more positive about it anyway. I mean if you were a Lego designer and a HP fan and you could split up DA into more sets so as to get more HP Lego, more faithful representations and more minifigures wouldn't you want to take that approach?  

And I think this explains how we can get such obscure figures such as Florean if goblins don't even have to be in the lineup. Here's hoping for Rita Skeeter!

Speaking of figures, I'm glad the description didn't mention the figure lineup. I kind of want to see them all together in their full glory for the first time with the set pictures. And this leak gives us some more information, but still leaves us with some unknown. :excited:

18 minutes ago, BenderBrau said:

A hell of a leak dropped while I was sleeping.

Me too.? Doesn't it always lol. 

Edited by BacktoBricks
Spelling

What no I'm not sure. I just think it will happen. Does the way it's written mean that I know something? Because I don't. 

Edited by Nikiforosdallas

Just now, Nikiforosdallas said:

What no I'm not sure. I just think it will happen. Dies the way it's written mean that I know something? Because I don't. 

Not sure if I understand whats your second sentence means :) Anyway, thats why I am asking, if its just pure speculation or fact. So its your speculation. :)

1 minute ago, Nikiforosdallas said:

Man I need a reveal. I have been waiting for so long. I think I'm turning crazy thinking about all the possible reveal dates.:cry2:

Like everyone here and beyond :) If it pleases you, you are not alone. Just be patient. It will be soon enough.

Oh wow, this is definitely unexpected! A metre long! Made up of seven different shops! Absolute insanity. 

It seems to me that the designers decided what to include based on how best a Diagon Alley set would look. Probably in the design process they realised that a long line of shops that all fit together would work much better than having a small line of a few shops and then Leaky Cauldron and Gringotts on either end. 

Even then a few choices are quite surprising to me, I would definitely have included Eeylops Owl Emporium over stuff like the Daily Prophet offices just for playability but I'll hold off judgement until I see how all the shops fit together

16 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Why do you think closed backs means no interior? :)

More pieces on walls = less pieces on interior Detail

Closed backs = larger shop = more empty space

2 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

More pieces on walls = less pieces on interior Detail

Closed backs = larger shop = more empty space

Thats interesting point of view. I dont think that closed backs means less or even no interior. As i said above, check modulars, they are super highly detaile inside out, on 25x25 cm footprint. I thionk that those shops will be obviously smaller, like 2 max 3 floors high. So I think that from 5400+ pcs u can make both back walls as well as interior details. Anyway, we will see in few moments :)

19 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Thats interesting point of view. I dont think that closed backs means less or even no interior. As i said above, check modulars, they are super highly detaile inside out, on 25x25 cm footprint. I thionk that those shops will be obviously smaller, like 2 max 3 floors high. So I think that from 5400+ pcs u can make both back walls as well as interior details. Anyway, we will see in few moments :)

Very true. I guess I’m comparing apples to oranges - Lego has gotten a lot more detailed in recent years so a lot of what I’m comparing is simply due to age and nothing to do with closed backs! See the detail in the 2011 DA set and older Hogwarts sets compared to all the current HOgwarts sets - neither have closed backs but the difference is staggering.

I’m excited regardless. I don’t think it’ll impact my enjoyment either way :)

27 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

When you think that ten years ago, DA consisted of Gringotts, a part of another alley and Ollivanders, only one of which will now be in a 5000+ piece set and the rest will be all new buildings, we're now getting more HP than ever. I know cost is an issue for a lot of us, but I can't help but feel positive about that. I mean if you were a Lego designer and a HP fan and you could split up DA into more sets so as to get more HP Lego, more faithful representations and more minifigures wouldn't you want to take that approach?  

That's a beautiful way to look at it, totally agree :)

21 minutes ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

Even then a few choices are quite surprising to me, I would definitely have included Eeylops Owl Emporium over stuff like the Daily Prophet offices just for playability but I'll hold off judgement until I see how all the shops fit together

Definitely agree that it depends on the execution. If the Daily Prophet comes with Rita Skeeter and Sribulus comes with Percy for instance, the figures would almost compensate for the absence of more owls, similarly nice architecture and colours (sand blue?) could compensate for a lot.

I have kind of reconciled myself to the idea of building a MOC Owl Emporium, having said that this probably means spending another £100 for pieces on top of buying DA, which feels a bit insane (particularly right now).

Has anyone else noticed that the temporary Lego.com listing has the set as 16+, not the new "adult" 18+? Does that mean it'll come in a pleasant HP-style box and not the all black "for adults" packaging? That would be interesting given the piece-count/size.

2 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Has anyone else noticed that the temporary Lego.com listing has the set as 16+, not the new "adult" leave 18+? Does that mean it'll come in a pleasant HP-style box and no the all black "for adults" packaging? That would be interesting given the piece-count/size.

Yeah I'm hoping it'll just be a huge Harry Potter set rather than anything else.

Gutted there's no Leaky Cauldron especially.  Hopefully we get a Leaky Cauldron and Gringotts separately - which does make sense to some degree given that both could connect at each end of the street.  I'm happy with all the shops bar Scribbulus, the rest except the Daily Prophet office are significant enough in the books at least and the Daily Prophet office won't take up a full shop so it gets a pass - especially if we get Rita Skeeter.

Here's hoping for a Percy Weasley (pleeeeease), Lucius Malfoy and Gilderoy Lockhart (surely).

1 hour ago, deskp said:

The 102cm = 8 x 12.8mm, so 8 of 16 stud plates. I expect most buildings will be 16 studs wide with one at 32. The depth at 13cm is also probably meaning the stores will be on 16x16 plates. I hope they are all that depth, although they might make some on 16x8 stud plates instead.

Here’s (still) hoping for a VIP early release this weekend.   It’s surreal to think that we may finally see this thing in just a few hours!

:excited: