Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Interestingly... The entire current line up of Minifigure scale Hogwarts (and associated grounds) sets come up JUST short of the Diagon Alley Piece count. This include Great Hall, Whomping Willow, Clock Tower, Astronomy Tower, Room of Requirement, Quidditch Match, Hagrids Hut, Hungarian Horntail, Forbidden Forest, Expecto Patronum and Aragog's Lair. These 11 sets add up to 5,509 pieces! Diagon Alley is going to be like the last 3 years of Magical World of Harry Potter building combined into one! :-D

9 minutes ago, stoker86 said:

Hogwarts is 4 books... Upside Down is 2 books

Really hope that is the case for this. I would be really happy if it's split up. My biggest sets are LEGO Ninjago Movie Destiny's Bounty, Avengers Hellicarrier and LEGO Batman Movie Wayne Manor and they are all single books. So I was worried this would be the same case. But you have brought me hope! :-D

So excited... this is going to be 2000 pieces larger than my next biggest set! :-D

Edited by chris6507

3 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

Interestingly... The entire current line up of Minifigure scale Hogwarts (and associated grounds) sets come up JUST short of the Diagon Alley Piece count. This include Great Hall, Whomping Willow, Clock Tower, Astronomy Tower, Room of Requirement, Quidditch Match, Hagrids Hut, Hungarian Horntail, Forbidden Forest, Expecto Patronum and Aragog's Lair. These 11 sets add up to 5,509 pieces! Diagon Alley is going to be like the last 3 years of Magical World of Harry Potter building combined into one! :-D

Amazing perspective! I'm so excited. Every new detail about this set thrills me.

14 minutes ago, stoker86 said:

Hogwarts is 4 books... Upside Down is 2 books

And the Ideas Voltron from a few years ago was 6 books, one for each section and one for assembling the whole thing.

Ideas Tree House, OTOH, is a single, very thick book.

13 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

These 11 sets add up to 5,509 pieces!

And at US retail prices those 11 sets add up to $574.89, so I’d say we’re getting a pretty great deal with DA

I'm baffled by this. No Gringotts here means it will be released next year with around $30 of the set taken up by a dragon. If the set is $100 then that leaves us with only $70 for Gringotts itself, so around the size of privet drive which is a bit small for Gringotts. I guess this means we will get another $100+ set next year? 

Mainly though I just can't stop thinking about scribbulus. What the hell is a scribbulus? Why is a scribbulus? How is a scribbulus? Whatever it is it's not as important as the leaky Cauldron so it must be a really interesting design. I assume it sells parchment and quills? I can't imagine LEGO designers being able to make that as exciting as they could probably make Eyelop's. 

2 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

I'm baffled by this. No Gringotts here means it will be released next year with around $30 of the set taken up by a dragon. If the set is $100 then that leaves us with only $70 for Gringotts itself, so around the size of privet drive which is a bit small for Gringotts. I guess this means we will get another $100+ set next year? 

Mainly though I just can't stop thinking about scribbulus. What the hell is a scribbulus? Why is a scribbulus? How is a scribbulus? Whatever it is it's not as important as the leaky Cauldron so it must be a really interesting design. I assume it sells parchment and quills? I can't imagine LEGO designers being able to make that as exciting as they could probably make Eyelop's. 

Yea it’s pretty ridiculous, that and the ice cream shop. Literally 90% of people have no idea these places exist. Yet we can’t get the literal entrance to Diagon Alley. 

1 hour ago, YetiZombie said:

Weasley Wizard Weeds

That sounds somehow illegal ??

With this enormous piece count, the set won't way little...the guys from the pickup shop are gonna hate me ?

22 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

19 minutes ago, Modal said:

Yea it’s pretty ridiculous, that and the ice cream shop. Literally 90% of people have no idea these places exist. Yet we can’t get the literal entrance to Diagon Alley. 

This is probably my biggest disappointment of the year. Why no leaky cauldron. It was the shop I was looking forward to the most. I am disappointed about the lack of gringotts but at least we will get it next year. I really can't see us getting the leaky cauldron as a stand alone set. It is so iconic and this is so disappointing. And instead we have scribbulus. SCRIBBULUS. Why! . I don't mind getting the Daily prophet because that gives us a chance of getting Rita skeeter. I will give scribulus the benefit of the doubt until i see the set. 

On a different topic

What do people think is happening with the GWP. Seperate from kingnono, do people think it could be Hogsmead. I was thinking maybe a mini Hogwarts and lake. Would like to hear others thoughts.

Edited by Tommy269

25 minutes ago, 8fifty said:

With this enormous piece count, the set won't way little...the guys from the pickup shop are gonna hate me ?

Here in California that sounds totally reasonable and legal ?

In a way, not including the two most iconic and/or important parts of Diagon Alley, the Leaky Cauldron and Gringotts, is a nice move for consumers and especially kids. Yes LEGO is a premium expensive item but the fact of the matter is that the huge sets like Diagon Alley will be out of reach for a lot of people.

Gringotts and the Leaky Cauldron can both work as standalone sets, which means more people and more kids will be able to access those important, recognisable locations.

This big set is going to be like a replica of the studio Diagon Alley. There are a lot of unrecognisable shops, but it's for devoted fans after all.

4 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

In a way, not including the two most iconic and/or important parts of Diagon Alley, the Leaky Cauldron and Gringotts, is a nice move for consumers and especially kids. Yes LEGO is a premium expensive item but the fact of the matter is that the huge sets like Diagon Alley will be out of reach for a lot of people.

Gringotts and the Leaky Cauldron can both work as standalone sets, which means more people and more kids will be able to access those important, recognisable locations.

This big set is going to be like a replica of the studio Diagon Alley. There are a lot of unrecognisable shops, but it's for devoted fans after all.

Let’s be real though, there’s 0% chance of Leaky Cauldron being its own set. It just won’t happen

2 hours ago, chris6507 said:

No batteries required. This modular construction set provides a hands-on, fulfilling building experience

this stands out to me. very curious to see what they mean by "modular"

49 minutes ago, 8fifty said:

I mean, we don't know what's actually in some of those WWW edibles do we? ?

12 minutes ago, Modal said:

Let’s be real though, there’s 0% chance of Leaky Cauldron being its own set. It just won’t happen

Probably not. This was our best chance, especially because it has a 16+ age range. I can't see them releasing a normal 9+ (or something) set of a pub.

48 minutes ago, Tommy269 said:

What do people think is happening with the GWP. Seperate from kingnono, do people think it could be Hogsmead. I was thinking maybe a mini Hogwarts and lake. Would like to hear others thoughts.

There’s no guarantee we’ll actually get a gwp at this point. Sure it’s possible but by no means certain. 

2 minutes ago, phoenix416 said:

Mos Eisley is a pub as well, right?

No, it's a Cantina.  But they are both by definition Bars.

32 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

i can't see my self getting the DA anytime soon. That is why i don't have a problem with the absence of Gringotts. The leaky cauldron is a different story. I just can't see the leaky cauldron as a stand alone set. I think the leaky cauldron would work better in a set like the DA. it doesn't need a lot of minifigures and would be a nice starting point for the DA. There is no point crying over spilt milk, I am just trying to say that leaky cauldron would work better in the DA than a stand alone set. If we ever get a stand alone set 

4 minutes ago, phoenix416 said:

Mos Eisley is a pub as well, right?

I mean kinda, but like no one is drinking alcohol as far as we know are they?

I am pretty sure that the set will be modular. Each building will be standing alone and might be connected together with pins, like Hogwart segments do. So we will get like a one long wall of the street. Maybe the entrance to the alley is gonna be a small part of leaky cauldron? 

I am really intrigued to see people’s reactions to them splitting up some of the buildings in separate sets. I think it’s good since it will give people a more affordable option.

17 minutes ago, Sheesh417 said:

Any updates on figures? 

The only confirmed figures are the new Harry and ice cream shop owner but lots can be guessed from the sticker sheets.

1 hour ago, Modal said:

If the theme continues past next year, when they'll have done one through of the films, I think the chance is higher than 0% but no more than 50%. It wouldn't be a semi complete building like the ones we'll probably get in the DA, but I could see a Leaky Cauldron in the style of this year's Privet Drive happening. Tables etc downstairs, room where Harry stays upstairs, etc.

In any case, since it's sealed off from the rest of DA with a brick wall, I can see why LEGO didn't include the Leaky Cauldron just for aesthetic reasons. I reckon this set is going to be one long streetscape.

I am still holding some slight hope... if there is no leaky cauldron, then why do they include those two Sirius wanted poster in the sticker sheet? They are just so fitting the leaky cauldron movie scene.:sceptic:

4 hours ago, Modal said:

Is it seriously a meter long? That’s INSANE! I need to buy a new table

Seriously...I think we all could use a magical tent like they had at the Quidditch World Cup...

3 hours ago, chris6507 said:

Just out of curiosity do other people prefer the old LEGO manuals where they were split up by building/section or the new really thick ones all bound together? This would have been a great set to build with my wife with a couple of books each to build simultaneously, but it's probably all going to be bound together in one book which means I will probably have to build with computer instructions (which are never clear).

There was also two books with the NES, one for the console, one for the TV. So it could happen that way for this. That seems to be more common for sets that have different “sections” these days. 

1 hour ago, Modal said:

Eh, it’s how they play it. We had a pub in the PotC theme, London Escape(name and all). And we had an unnamed bar is Medieval Market Village, at least in my opinion it is. I don’t know what kind of story they could attach to it, like they did with London Escape where the bar is simply the building they’re driving past on the chase.