Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

43 minutes ago, AlexV said:

Hi guys! New here.

When can we expect to get the New sets Here is the us? I hate waiting :/

so excited for diagon alley to leak! I was hoping it was standard scale? Is it really gonna be microscale? How does the Voldemort person know

The sets are officially going to be released on September 1st, but you might stumble across some stores disregarding the street date and putting them out whenever they get delivered. 

Diagon Alley is definitely minifigure scale, you can tell just by looking at the leaked minifigs and sticker sheets. The only guy who keeps trying to suggest otherwise at this point is a notorious troll who was banned for making fake leaks and harassing people on this thread (not because people didn’t like his suggestions like he and all his alter egos keep trying to claim :hmpf:). 

6 hours ago, Brick Guru said:

I get what you're saying. 4000 pieces sounds almost too little for the number of shops and inevitable detail but the evidence from the sticker sheets do point to minifig scale shops. That being said, I'm not sure if that piece count is exact or just an educated guess. I guess we'll see :shrug_oh_well:

The 4000 pieces are just a guess, it could be easily 5000 instead..

I hope most of the figs we already got like Ron, Hermione, Hagrid etc are the same as earlier versions that way more of the budget goes to new characters and more figs in total can probably be included in the set :wink:

5 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

What would you all say to dumbledore’s hair used for Lucius 

I think that would be perfect. Is it tan or bright yellow?

Just now, Metanoios91 said:

I think that would be perfect. Is it tan or bright yellow?

I would assume bright yellow to maintain consistency with Draco.

6 hours ago, 8fifty said:

I hope at least for those but also for some regular hogwarts ropes for the "minor" houses. I don't know if they would count as full minifigures but as someone else already said, the downside would be that they would be way too expensive to get multiples of them. (We need more minifig packs here!) But getting some more versatile representations of my beloved Ravenclaw is something I want for a long time now. I mean, sweaters are cool but robes are even cooler! (Fezes are cool as well but that's a different universe ?)

Mmmm, fish fingers and custard

4 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Mannequins were counted as minifigs in 10211 Grand Emporium.

I was thinking about Madam Malkin’s the other day, and if they had some minifig bodies in the window like in the Lego game. It’d mean we get loads of extra Hogwarts uniforms and then I was wondering if they’d count each of those as 0.5 minifigs - like how Winter Village Bakery has 7.5 due to some legs stuck in the snow ?

Just now, sammy_zammy said:

I was thinking about Madam Malkin’s the other day, and if they had some minifig bodies in the window like in the Lego game. It’d mean we get loads of extra Hogwarts uniforms and then I was wondering if they’d count each of those as 0.5 minifigs - like how Winter Village Bakery has 7.5 due to some legs stuck in the snow ?

Speaking of the LEGO game, I hope that if Madam Malkins is included, we get those scissors that move. I always used to love moving them for studs :head_back:

47 minutes ago, RealGeronimo11 said:

Speaking of the LEGO game, I hope that if Madam Malkins is included, we get those scissors that move. I always used to love moving them for studs :head_back:

Unfortunately, unless there’s a sticker sheet E we don’t know about it’s unlikely :sceptic: I can see Gringotts getting printing or a different type of sticker since it has metallic lettering and it’s on a pretty tight curve, plus that’s the only signage for the entire building - I could even see there being more signage for Fortescue’s if they went with the ice cream cone design from the theme park (that would be a bitch to apply as stickers) - but Madam Malkin’s design is too similar to Ollivander’s and QQS and F&Bs for me to believe that it somehow didn’t get any stickers on the sheets we’ve seen. 

3 minutes ago, Legonaut said:

I'd Love to See a Knockturn Alley!

I think it’s more likely that we’ll get a Borgin & Burke’s set, since literally no other Knockturn Alley shops are mentioned in the books or movies (there are a couple other dummy storefronts in the KA section of the theme park, but as cool as they are to watch and play with they wouldn’t make for a great minifigure scale display).

On the bright side, that makes it much easier for Lego to do it whenever they feel like - since one small shop could easily be done as a moderately priced regular wave set. With 2021 probably being DH based, we could potentially see B&Bs as soon as 2022 (which would be rather fitting as that would be the 20th anniversary of its first appearance on the silver screen). 

21 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

I think it’s more likely that we’ll get a Borgin & Burke’s set, since literally no other Knockturn Alley shops are mentioned in the books or movies (there are a couple other dummy storefronts in the KA section of the theme park, but as cool as they are to watch and play with they wouldn’t make for a great minifigure scale display).

On the bright side, that makes it much easier for Lego to do it whenever they feel like - since one small shop could easily be done as a moderately priced regular wave set. With 2021 probably being DH based, we could potentially see B&Bs as soon as 2022 (which would be rather fitting as that would be the 20th anniversary of its first appearance on the silver screen). 

An alley build next to Borgin and Burkes with some signs would be more than enough for me! Hopefully Borgin and Burkes will have the floo feature for Chamber of Secrets but also the stairs and roof where the trio eavesdrop on Draco's Death Eater initiation. 

3 hours ago, Roebuck said:

The 4000 pieces are just a guess, it could be easily 5000 instead..

I hope most of the figs we already got like Ron, Hermione, Hagrid etc are the same as earlier versions that way more of the budget goes to new characters and more figs in total can probably be included in the set :wink:

Just as a question (don't want to start a controversy): how certain are we about the piece count? How safe is it that DA will be in the 4000-5000 piece range? I'm just wondering because there is this rumour about a 9035 piece colosseum coming in November. What if the 9035 pieces is for DA instead?

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but that would be something (but I guess the 400$ price would be too little for that).

1 minute ago, Greshi210 said:

Just as a question (don't want to start a controversy): how certain are we about the piece count? How safe is it that DA will be in the 4000-5000 piece range? I'm just wondering because there is this rumour about a 9035 piece colosseum coming in November. What if the 9035 pieces is for DA instead?

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but that would be something (but I guess the 400$ price would be too little for that).

The average PPR (price per part ratio) is 10 cents so that would put us around 4000 parts. Big sets like this one often use a good number of smaller parts so that elevates the piececount a bit, meaning it'll probably be somewhere in between 4000-5000 pieces. The 9035 pieces piececount of the Roman Colosseum is definetely not for DA as that would give it a pricetag of at least $800

8 hours ago, chris6507 said:

I'd say Lucius is going Grey! Hahaha! :-D

?

Just now, Greshi210 said:

I don't think so. An architecture set can have that amount of pieces without costing ridiculous money because the pieces are small. If it was for DA that amount of pieces would make it approx £700-900. And this is presumably partly meant as a playset after all so that is just too much.

The 10261: Roller Coaster has already 4124 pieces (and very large ones) with 11 minifigs, according to Brickset. And with a retailprice of 379 dollars for that, its safe to say that DA have atleast 4000 pieces.

27 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

The average PPR (price per part ratio) is 10 cents so that would put us around 4000 parts. Big sets like this one often use a good number of smaller parts so that elevates the piececount a bit, meaning it'll probably be somewhere in between 4000-5000 pieces. The 9035 pieces piececount of the Roman Colosseum is definetely not for DA as that would give it a pricetag of at least $800

Thanks, that sounds logical.

27 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:And this is presumably partly meant as a playset after all so that is just too much.

Ok, the playset vs display set argument also makes sense.

9 minutes ago, mark1991t said:

The 10261: Roller Coaster has already 4124 pieces (and very large ones) with 11 minifigs, according to Brickset. And with a retailprice of 379 dollars for that, its safe to say that DA have atleast 4000 pieces.

It's great that so many here have such a deep understanding of everything Lego and know so much about other sets that only serve to completely confuse me. 

So thanks again for the clarification :-)

I still find it hard to believe that the following are included:

• Florean Fortescue’s ice cream parlor
  • Scribbulus
  • Daily prophet

If not several of in my mind more famous ones are :sceptic:

According to this map several of them are on the same side of the street, the ones without stickers so far are on the other side. However no sign of Olivanders, DP or WWW

DiagonAlley_WB_F1_MapOfDiagonAlley_Illus

So the jokeshop(WWW) , second- hand bookshop(F&B) and Broomstix(QQS) are removed because they are to similar to other shops, so WWW, Olivanders and DP is included instead.
We are still missing the shops on the other side, I would guess the cauldron shop, MM, one of the pet shops and one of the apothecary's are included from that side in addition most likely LC and Gringotts on each side :wink:

4 hours ago, sammy_zammy said:

???

4 hours ago, sammy_zammy said:

What about getting just the robes as torso + hips & legs combinations hanging on a clothes rack, would those ones count as full minifigures?

22 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

• Scribbulus
  • Daily prophet

I agree, but I suppose there must be some reasons behind the choices in terms of variety in architecture, colour etc. Scribulus for instance seems to be the only shop with a blue storefront I think?

A while ago someone on this forum (sorry don't remember the name) described the Lego design process as creating a perfect set and then removing one element after another until it fits the budget. If they did this with DA, then maybe they started out by building all the shops and then removed different ones to see which configuration is the most visually pleasing overall.

In terms of the layout I believe there have been some inconsistencies over time, not sure if any of the buildings other than Gringotts and the Leaky Cauldron are always in the same place so I don't see why they wouldn't take creative licence.

I was looking at DA on Google Streetview and it looks quite moody without Gringotts https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6931741,-0.4196477,3a,75y,191.32h,91.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAF1QipMY1ytV163NRWZj2IzxgLb6RiLFwqz1gbib3WdB!2e10!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I wonder if a slightly dark vibe will be also what they're going for, or if it's more of the whimsical atmosphere of the real life inspiration : https://theculturetrip.com/europe/united-kingdom/scotland/articles/7-reasons-to-visit-edinburghs-historical-victoria-street/ (scroll down for the better pictures)

37 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

• Scribbulus
  • Daily prophet

According to this map several of them are on the same side of the street, the ones without stickers so far are on the other side. However no sign of Olivanders, DP or WWW

DiagonAlley_WB_F1_MapOfDiagonAlley_Illus

So the jokeshop(WWW) , second- hand bookshop(F&B) and Broomstix(QQS) are removed because they are to similar to other shops, so WWW, Olivanders and DP is included instead.
We are still missing the shops on the other side, I would guess the cauldron shop, MM, one of the pet shops and one of the apothecary's are included from that side in addition most likely LC and Gringotts on each side :wink:

On 7/17/2020 at 8:35 AM, Seaber said:

There is definitely enough source material for that amount of sets, but a problem with that idea is Diagon Alley isn't consistent over the films it appears in. 

PS and CoS the Alley looks like this. The only change between the two films is Ollivanders is redressed as Flourish and Blotts, seen on the lower row of shops second from right. 

24a1858b24c644028f5e3c64e4d67271.jpg

The set changes in HBP and both DH films as can be seen on the film set below. 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.693249,-0.419633,3a,75y,274.23h,91.66t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1su1gcE6cVKELE_xgImwtVHQ!2e0?hl=en

Now Knockturn Alley moves from near the Leaky Cauldron to near Gringotts and the Leaky Cauldron is much further down the Alley than the rest of the shops.

Gambol and Japes, Sugarplums, Cranvilles, Broomstix and the Second Hand Bookshop have all gone, QQS and Wiseacres have swapped sides. Most other shops have changes places staying to their sides of the Alley. 

WWW has appeared on the lower side (in the diagram) and Flourish and Blotts now has its own design, but many other shops have been reduced in size. 

More buildings on the two lanes either side of Gringotts can be seen, but the Dily Prophet Press Office is the only one with a legible sign. 

I did a post on this a while back, its a very handy map based on the Alley's appearance in CoS. The set on the Google street view is from the later films :) 

13 minutes ago, Nina said:

A while ago someone on this forum (sorry don't remember the name) described the Lego design process as creating a perfect set and then removing one element after another until it fits the budget. If they did this with DA, then maybe they started out by building all the shops and then removed different ones to see which configuration is the most visually pleasing overall.

That was based on one quote from Matthew Ashton. It might be (sort of) how some designers approach designing a set, but no way that can be taken as the gospel on how LEGO does set design. I remember reading another interview with Mark Stafford (on working on the Ideas Exo Suit) where they used the exact opposite approach where they kept adding stuff until they were told "no more".

In general I'm sure it is safe to say they iterate on ideas/set concepts rather than either of the approaches above though.

I finished rebuilding the DA set and came here to find the stickers had leaked and I had a lot of reading to do. Now that I'm caught up I have to point out how much I love this leak. Some sticker sheets giving us some insight into a few of the shops included Is a lot more exciting to me than a random minifigure.

It is definitely worrying though that Gringotts isn't here. I also would've liked to have the leaky cauldron but I can live without it. Ideally we would get the above ground section of gringotts in this set completing the DA street and we would get the underground section in a set next year. I would also love to at least see the brick section of the the leaky cauldron included. 

Also despite being a HP fan for a decade and having read all the books and seen the movies I don't remember Scribbulus at all for some reason. I would've preferred Madam Malkins or the Owl emporium. 

2 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

I finished rebuilding the DA set and came here to find the stickers had leaked and I had a lot of reading to do. Now that I'm caught up I have to point out how much I love this leak. Some sticker sheets giving us some insight into a few of the shops included Is a lot more exciting to me than a random minifigure.

It is definitely worrying though that Gringotts isn't here. I also would've liked to have the leaky cauldron but I can live without it. Ideally we would get the above ground section of gringotts in this set completing the DA street and we would get the underground section in a set next year. I would also love to at least see the brick section of the the leaky cauldron included. 

Also despite being a HP fan for a decade and having read all the books and seen the movies I don't remember Scribbulus at all for some reason. I would've preferred Madam Malkins or the Owl emporium. 

I agree about Madam Malkins and the Owl Emporium. They would have been great additions

35 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

I wouldn't bet all my money that we'll actually get the complete Scribbulus shop. I can rather imagine that we get one building with two storefronts, namely Scribbulus and Ollivander's but the interior behind it completely represents Ollivander's.

I'm confused.  Why does anyone expect a $400 Diagon Alley set to be anything other than a remake of the $150 Diagon Alley set but with more shops?  I mean we have seen Lego remake D2C sets before.  (The Death Star says hello)  We even have a perfect comparison in the form of a Harry Potter set, The Burrow.

10217-1.jpg

Comparing to the original Diagon Alley set, Gringotts wouldn't be significantly larger than the other buildings.  Some of the shops could even be slightly smaller than the original Ollivander's.  I think anyone hopping for an "Assembly Square" style set is going to be really disappointed when we get a remake (albeit expanded) of Diagon Alley.  If there is still a clear backed metallic print sticker sheet I wouldn't rule out getting Gringotts, The Leaky Cauldron, and Borgin & Burkes included at that scale too.