Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Quiet Monday compared to the last few. This is becoming torturous :pir-bawling:

I’m pretty positive we will see a Diagon Alley reveal at the end of next week. I don’t expect anything sooner than that.

I’m pretty positive we will see a Diagon Alley reveal at the end of next week. I don’t expect anything sooner than that.

7 minutes ago, Legopls said:

Given the reveal would be awkwardly late for a VIP release I highly doubt we'll get a reveal untill somewhere around mid-August

Has anyone thought about connecting Diagon Alley to a modular collection? If we actually get The Leaky Cauldron with the secret brick entrance, how amazing would it be to connect that with, say, Assembly Square? 

I know it’s hard to say without knowing the Diagon Alley set, but which modular buildings would you think would work best as a secret passage to DA?

Edited by Modal

Random question because today is a slow day - do you guys keep your boxes? The boxes for my HP sets have started to accumulate and I'm wondering if I should just toss out some of the smaller ones.

Just now, YetiZombie said:

Random question because today is a slow day - do you guys keep your boxes? The boxes for my HP sets have started to accumulate and I'm wondering if I should just toss out some of the smaller ones.

I personally don't. I have heard of others doing it though, some actually flatten the boxes in order to make them take up less space, you could consider doing that if you aren't yet.

2 minutes ago, YetiZombie said:

Not for my Harry Potter sets. I’ve got boxes save from the Architecture and Ideas set I’ve gotten over the years, but that’s because they tend to be construed differently and therefore sturdier than the more kid oriented themes. I usually have the instructions and spare parts for a set in the box (and in a couple of cases, the instructions and spare parts from a third party lighting kit), but with those smaller adult targeted sets the boxes really aren’t that big and don’t take up a whole lot of room. With the Harry Potter sets I just keep the instructions piled in their own filing box, with the smaller booklets in a separate aluminum Harry Potter box I got when I was little (which is actually full now, I’m going to need to get another one), but I typically just recycle the boxes because they’re too flimsy to use for storage like the others and I don’t feel like having to store a bunch of collapsed boxes. So far the only Harry Potter box I’ve kept is the Advent Calendar one, and that’s only because the instructions are printed on it. 

20 minutes ago, YetiZombie said:

I use to keep boxes no question, thinking they're part of the set etc. Then I scaled down my Lego buying and now mostly buy just HP, but the boxes were still mounting up after just two waves so I resorted to flattening the boxes carefully and putting them into each other. And to be fair they didn't take up much space that way. But then I started thinking that it's only cardboard at the end of the day do I really need them? It took some 'courage' but I finally just got rid of them. For me it wasn't even so much about the space and more the fact that the time you spend stressing over boxes arriving in good condition and making sure they stay in good condition just seemed mad when you think that it is essentially just cardboard. It was very rewarding this year when I ordered my sets and when one arrived in the post with a small line 'dent' in the box (a 'flaw' even a family member pointed out because it would have bothered me in the past) I was able to just shrug and say 'it doesn't matter' because it was only going in the bin. That being said for higher value sets I will keep the box e.g. 71043 Hogwarts Castle or the upcoming DA, because if I was to sell those kind of sets in the future the depreciation of the set without the box may be higher. Otherwise if you think you may sell the sets someday (sacrilege I know! ?) then I just think would it be worth the extra few £s I may get for the set when I will have to package up a box and get it to good condition to a buyer versus selling it without the box and not having that stress. The majority of the time the answer is no.

Like @Accio Lego I just keep the manuals altogether in a box. The box art for HP is gorgeous, but the sets in reality are the best thing to look at in my opinion.

Edited by BacktoBricks

36 minutes ago, Modal said:

Has anyone thought about connecting Diagon Alley to a modular collection? If we actually get The Leaky Cauldron with the secret brick entrance, how amazing would it be to connect that with, say, Assembly Square? 

I know it’s hard to say without knowing the Diagon Alley set, but which modular buildings would you think would work best as a secret passage to DA?

Yes, this is absolutely my plan.i already have it so it looks like Kings Cross is connected to the right edge of the detectives office and leads off to the Hogwarts castle sets.

My plan is to have, from left to right, DA, my modulars, Hogwarts express station, Hogwarts castle sets.

Well, so much for me buying all the 2018/19 sets before the 2020 ones... couldn’t resist getting the Astronomy Tower and Privet Drive when they were both on offer at Amazon Germany this weekend. Currently built the tower of AT - wow it looks so awesome! I totally love the interesting techniques to get the overhanging section and it looks like it has so much depth from it. I love the details inside, especially the Astronomy ones. And Blimey it’s tall lol. This set is amazing!

(Apart from those bookcase stickers. Ugh. and the fact it had a tendency to Collapse on me when building the ceiling of the Ravenclaw dorm!)

22 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

I use to keep boxes no question, thinking they're part of the set etc. Then I scaled down my Lego buying and now mostly buy just HP, but the boxes were still mounting up after just two waves so I resorted to flattening the boxes carefully and putting them into each other. And to be fair they didn't take up much space that way. But then I started thinking that it's only cardboard at the end of the day do I really need them? It took some 'courage' but I finally just got rid of them. For me it wasn't even so much about the space and more the fact that the time you spend stressing over boxes arriving in good condition and making sure they stay in good condition just seemed mad when you think that it is essentially just cardboard. It was very rewarding this year when I ordered my sets and when one arrived in the post with a small line 'dent' in the box (a 'flaw' even a family member pointed out because it would have bothered me in the past) I was able to just shrug and say 'it doesn't matter' because it was only going in the bin. That being said for higher value sets I will keep the box e.g. 71043 Hogwarts Castle or the upcoming DA, because if I was to sell those kind of sets in the future the depreciation of the set without the box may be higher. Otherwise if you think you may sell the sets someday (sacrilege I know! ?) then I just think would it be worth the extra few £s I may get for the set when I will have to package up a box and get it to good condition to a buyer versus selling it without the box and not having that stress. The majority of the time the answer is no.

Like @Accio Lego I just keep the manuals altogether in a box. The box art for HP is gorgeous, but the sets in reality are the best thing to look at in my opinion.

I really want to keep boxes for the higher profile sets (DA for sure), but I'm probably going to start by flattening the other ones as you did. It'll definitely take courage to throw them out because I'm a completionist (I like having the set/box/manual for my sets), but I know one day I'll just say screw it and throw them away too :laugh_hard:

15 hours ago, sebastian666 said:

It’s a very smart strategy and it appears to be working, but I wonder if that’s why we have yet to see things like a big nasty troll, a basilisk, or even Fluffy. I realize I’m  perpetrating problematic gender norms here, but I think it’s safe to say that the current lineup of sets is, well, a bit girly. 

Huh, VERY good point! This wave definitely has a lot of female representation. And yes that could be why we haven’t gotten stuff like a troll... but that can be extended to sets. A lot of the sets in the HP reboot are fairly generic, or at the most loosely based around a certain event. Hagrid’s Hut: technically based around Buckbeak’s rescue but really, it’s just a Hagrid’s Hut. Pricey Drive: has the flying Ford so obviously CoS escape, but has references to many of the films. Whopping Willow: the car and the tree are specific, but the castle is just a section of castle that happens to appear in that scene. Many of the castle sets just contain fairly generic classrooms (although some don’t).

Then again there’s a lot of specific ones, particularly the Forbidden Forest sets, but in general, any major event that happens inside the castle is put into a more generic castle set, hence no Chamber of Secrets or 3rd Floor Corridor. I guess this is kinda a limitation of the modular style, although Room of Requirement being smaller shows that they’re not only doing larger Hogwarts sets.

The more I think about this the more I think of examples where my argument doesn’t apply lol, but there’s certainly much less representation from in-castle events, And where it is represented, it’s a small part of a larger set rather than a set by itself.

13 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

or the Drumstrang ship, that should be interesting. I suspect it didn’t make the cut last year because it’s going to be a big ticket item and right now priority is being given to Castle sections. With the Burrow coming out this year at the same price point as the Astronomy Tower I think we have a better chance of Lego taking a shot with the Drumstrang ship in the future if both this year’s high priced sets sell well and aren’t hurt by the fact that they were released at the same time. That being said, I also wouldn’t be surprised if Lego waited until Barracuda Bay was retired on on the way out before releasing another big ship set in any theme. It’s just that with no current pirates theme I doubt they won’t take advantage of the fact that all the pirates fans will be drawn to a big ship set no matter what the theme if it’s the only one on the market. 

I actually think the new Creator Pirate Ship could be modified into a Dienstrang ship. It’s a similar scale, and has a similar ish shape. But I’d love to see a Durmstrang ship set!

59 minutes ago, YetiZombie said:

I used to(overall, not just HP). Once I hit 300 boxes, I was over it.  :tongue: Some boxes were tough to get rid of, but I just remind myself I have the best part, the set. 

I keep all boxes, heck even used open boxes sell for a good penny!Never throw them away, you never know... 

39 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

But I’d love to see a Durmstrang ship set!

Is it likely to happen on its own or even at all after the carriage didn’t sell that well though? I know they’re two different things and lego fans love ships, but I don’t know if this would be too specific? The pirates of barracuda bay set has a more stereotypical and generic approach of what pirates are, not to mention it’s loaded with nostalgia. Then again I don’t know how well the PotC ships have done, for example.

Edited by Otherworld

26 minutes ago, Otherworld said:

Is it likely to happen on its own or even at all after the carriage didn’t sell that well though? I know they’re two different things and lego fans love ships, but I don’t know if this would be too specific? The pirates of barracuda bay set has a more stereotypical and generic approach of what pirates are, not to mention it’s loaded with nostalgia. Then again I don’t know how well the PotC ships have done, for example.

I believe the PotC ships sold pretty well actually. They’re pretty pricey nowadays anyway so I‘m guessing they’re kinda popular. Could be wrong tho...

I’m a little bummed about the fact that they didn’t make product animations for the new sets. I always liked those. 

8 minutes ago, Legopls said:

I’m a little bummed about the fact that they didn’t make product animations for the new sets. I always liked those. 

I wish we’d get more tv commercials for new sets too. The older commercials from 2010 and 11 are so nostalgic now.

52 minutes ago, Legopls said:

40 minutes ago, LEGOMotionStudios said:

I wish we’d get more tv commercials for new sets too. The older commercials from 2010 and 11 are so nostalgic now.

We might not be see anything for this year’s sets just because by the time things would have actually been finalized a lot of places would have been going into quarantine. I’m not sure how many people work on those stop motion animations, but it’s very labor intensive and it’s going to take longer if you’ve only got one or two people working on it. There’s also the issue of people working from home - because stop motion takes so much time you really can’t have any sort of natural light source seeping into your studio when you’re filming, and most people don’t have access to a windowless room of a proper size in their home. We’ve already speculated that the rendered images vs. photos on the box art could be a product of quarantine caution, stop motion videos could be another casualty unfortunately. 

FYI I had ordered the Burrow on July 1st in the US when it was briefly available for "preorder," and got an e-mail today that the status has been updated to "will ship by August 20th." I know there was some talk of a release on August 16th, this more or less aligns with that. 

18 minutes ago, Vorkosigan said:

FYI I had ordered the Burrow on July 1st in the US when it was briefly available for "preorder," and got an e-mail today that the status has been updated to "will ship by August 20th." I know there was some talk of a release on August 16th, this more or less aligns with that. 

It ships on the 15th from Target, I know that much

I'm honestly pretty suprised we haven't gotten any DA figure leaks since Harry and Fortescue :sceptic: LEGO must've really jumped on that asap, which makes the lack of a CMF announcement a lot weirder :def_shrug:

4 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I'm honestly pretty suprised we haven't gotten any DA figure leaks since Harry and Fortescue :sceptic: LEGO must've really jumped on that asap, which makes the lack of a CMF announcement a lot weirder :def_shrug:

Yeah, after they appeared on two consecutive days I expected even more to be leaked the following days...

3 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I’m surprised we haven’t seen any more HD pics of the CMF series from our friends in Romania! I’m so desperate for new content, I almost considered offering @lucky_lego_store some money just to post pics of the front and back of the minifigs out of the bag! :laugh_hard:

27 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

I’m surprised we haven’t seen any more HD pics of the CMF series from our friends in Romania! I’m so desperate for new content, I almost considered offering @lucky_lego_store some money just to post pics of the front and back of the minifigs out of the bag! :laugh_hard:

If you start that we'll never get any free leaks again! ?