Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

7 hours ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

To my understanding Bayona just directed the film, while Colin Treverrow wrote the story and script, which is where most of the problems came from (in my opinion Bayona introduced some great horror touches into how the film was shot) 

While Trevorrow did write the story there are a lot of things Bayona filmed and eventually cut out of the movie, including very important exposition scenes. Obviously JW:FK had a sort of problematic script from the start but Bayona did kill a lot of extra potential the film had. But this is going way too off-topic so I'll end this here, feel free to PM me if you want to continue this discussion though. 

4 hours ago, (Insert Name Here) said:

That's a good point actually I hadn't thought about.

I often thought that set was the odd one out.

1. It doesn't have Harry, Ron or Hermione.

2. We get new versions of 3 characters that we don't see anywhere else.

3. We get an exclusive Gabrielle Delacour which doesn't appear anywhere else.

4. As you said new moulds that don't appear anywhere else.

Which is exactly why it's such a good set :wink:

1 hour ago, sebastian666 said:

Look at both of the big new castle sets. The focus is not on conflict and action features, but rather on galas and dance parties. Same with this year’s advent calendar. Consider even the room of requirement set. That set is really all about Hermione and Luna. Why Luna and not Ron?

It’s a very smart strategy and it appears to be working, but I wonder if that’s why we have yet to see things like a big nasty troll, a basilisk, or even Fluffy. I realize I’m  perpetrating problematic gender norms here, but I think it’s safe to say that the current lineup of sets is, well, a bit girly. 

No complaints from me - but I wouldn’t be surprised if next year’s sets are more focused on scenes like Fleur’s wedding than a big Battle of Hogwarts set. I hope they do strike a bit more of a balance though. Maybe we will still get the Durmstrang ship but it will be heavy on the mermaid minifigs and light on the cannon firing action features. I would be well happy with that!

I’d never considered the focus on social events over action scenes before, but I see it now that you mention it. Although I think part of that might have to do with LEGO’s focus on recreating specific scenes, as opposed to to just throwing in the same six characters + one movie specific character like they did in the 2001/2004/2007 castles. I also suspect having Luna instead of Ron in the RoR set has at least something to do with keeping the Ron/Hermione ratio equal, which the designers seem to be consciously trying to do. 

As for the lack of a troll or Fluffy, I think that has less to do with them not appealing to girls (trust me, girls like those scenes, some of Hermione’s and McGonagall’s best lines in the first movie come from those scenes) and more to do with the first movie sets being made the same year the them was rebooted, and as a result a massive amount of the theme’s budget went into things like the new wand  and hair pieces. Those things were going to be used for years to come, so obviously they took priority over the new molds needed for a three headed dog, troll, or (yes) even a basilisk. 

As for the Drumstrang ship, that should be interesting. I suspect it didn’t make the cut last year because it’s going to be a big ticket item and right now priority is being given to Castle sections. With the Burrow coming out this year at the same price point as the Astronomy Tower I think we have a better chance of Lego taking a shot with the Drumstrang ship in the future if both this year’s high priced sets sell well and aren’t hurt by the fact that they were released at the same time. That being said, I also wouldn’t be surprised if Lego waited until Barracuda Bay was retired on on the way out before releasing another big ship set in any theme. It’s just that with no current pirates theme I doubt they won’t take advantage of the fact that all the pirates fans will be drawn to a big ship set no matter what the theme if it’s the only one on the market. 

4 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

As for the lack of a troll or Fluffy, I think that has less to do with them not appealing to girls (trust me, girls like those scenes, some of Hermione’s and McGonagall’s best lines in the first movie come from those scenes) and more to do with the first movie sets being made the same year the them was rebooted, and as a result a massive amount of the theme’s budget went into things like the new wand  and hair pieces. Those things were going to be used for years to come, so obviously they took priority over the new molds needed for a three headed dog, troll, or (yes) even a basilisk.

Not to mention the fact HP's budget wasn't even enough for that and they had to leech off of Jurassic Worlds budget

Maybe this is just me but the more I look at CMF2 the more i really like it. I would've loved characters like rita, pomfrey and ootp tonks but what we got is fantastic and the accessories are 10/10 for me. 

51 minutes ago, Nick unassembled said:

Maybe this is just me but the more I look at CMF2 the more i really like it. I would've loved characters like rita, pomfrey and ootp tonks but what we got is fantastic and the accessories are 10/10 for me. 

The more I see the minifigures which are included the more I want them, which is really going to take a strain on my wallet! Although I think Lego put the much more interesting figures and accessories on the front of the bag we've seen since February I actually really like the Lily and James Potter and Fred, George and even Ginny figures which I probably wouldn't have been as interested with before seeing the pictures. Even the variants of the trio are interesting for the new faceprints which are superb. 

Honestly the series is a success in my opinion when the only figures I will definitely try to skip are Harry, Ron, Hermione and Luna. And even then, I wouldn't even be that disappointed if I got them by accident (except for budgetary concerns :laugh:

I wonder who the new Cedric will be for me. (Context: I got Cedric 4 times last time around :P)

P.S. It was not intentional. I got annoyed at getting him that often.

Edited by Salix

For me some of the new faceprints in the CMF will be must haves. Bellatrix and Ginny are big upgrades over the ones we got in the sets and it will be nice to have other expressions for the trio especially since we didnt get exclusive faceprints in the new wave for any of them. Getting Fred and George faceprints that are easy to get multiples of will be nice because even if they are included in DA it would be really expensive to get multiples. 

58 minutes ago, Salix said:

I wonder who the new Cedric will be for me. (Context: I got Cedric 4 times last time around :P)

Really? Why 4 of Cedric? I wouldn't have thought much of him would be useful elsewhere.

I wish there was an easy way to buy a complete set, although it is exciting not knowing who you will get in each pack.

I don't like changing existing sets but I'm tempted to change Bellatrix and Ginny's faces from the Burrow, other than that I'm not sure who else I would like doubles of.  Maybe Ron and Hermione for extra butterbeer?  I wonder whether the new butterbeer piece might have been made with Diagon Alley (the Leaky Cauldron specifically) in mind.

I'm glad baby Harry doesn't have a scar as it wouldn't have suited being included with Lily - unlikely that LEGO would have included a deceased alternate face!

34 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

Really? Why 4 of Cedric? I wouldn't have thought much of him would be useful elsewhere.

It wasn't intentional. I wasn't aware you could "feel" blind bags back then. I just bought/ordered a few bags at a time until I finally got all of them and gave away the duplicates to my sister and a friend who are both HP fans.

I love that we’ve been getting versions of characters from things like that Yule Ball and Slug Club but it has also kind of hurt our chances of getting more desirable versions. For example, I was really looking forward to getting Harry in the iconic red jacket from HBP. I feel like the Yule Ball was more necessary. But I feel like the Slug Club wasn’t all that necessary and I would have rather gotten other versions of those characters. Those figures are still fantastic but it just feels odd that they’re focusing on all the formal settings over the action scenes

Just now, Salix said:

It wasn't intentional. I wasn't aware you could "feel" blind bags back then. I just bought/ordered a few bags at a time until I finally got all of them and gave away the duplicates to my sister and a friend who are both HP fans.

Ohh... that makes sense. I thought you were saying you got 4 deliberately. Lol. Feeling them is pretty easy. I've only made 4 mistakes in 9 years of collecting collecitble minifigures! :-D 

6 hours ago, Otherworld said:

Very, very interesting point. I’d like to see more battles, villains and action but this new take on Harry Potter since the reboot is what has made it feel so much different from previous waves and I’m not complaining either. It has given us much more details, rooms and character variants whereas a more action-oriented focus would’ve skipped a loooot of the HP magic we’ve gotten, I’m sure (No yule ball, a lot less casual outfits, no slug club, etc) Plus, HP in general is marketed veeery differently than Star Wars for example, a theme that focuses almost exclusively on battle and adrenaline and force blabla. You’ve left me very thoughtful here. 

But yeah gimme trolls, death eaters and more combat features!

While that's indeed an interesting point, I hope they will be more battle sets

A Shrieking Shack set with werewolf Lupin would be great for Halloween next year

Is there any indication yet as to the distribution of the figures?

2 minutes ago, Yope said:

Is there any indication yet as to the distribution of the figures?

Nope, someone needs to buy a whole box first :wink:

I need a set for me and a set for my Potter mad 10 year old niece .. I’m buying a box .. wonder if Lego will sell whole boxes again ? 

Doesn‘t look like they‘re going to officially reveal the CMF series today, so I wonder how long it’ll take them :laugh: As has been pointed out before with Series 11, a series hitting shelves prematurely doesn‘t necessarily speed up their plans :tongue:

3 hours ago, chris6507 said:

Ohh... that makes sense. I thought you were saying you got 4 deliberately. Lol. Feeling them is pretty easy. I've only made 4 mistakes in 9 years of collecting collecitble minifigures! :-D 

Yeah, HP so far is my only CMF, HP2 will be my 2nd. :P

14 hours ago, (Insert Name Here) said:

The Gabrielle figure with the alternate sleeping expression led a lot of people to believe that she was gonna be reused for a set based around the second task of the Triwizard Tournament, but that hasn't been expanded upon at all really and seems unlikely now.

Also, the set has a tonne of recolours in that light blue colour, which is another big addition. They really went all out on it!

Also, Maxime has a different hair colour (book accurate black hair here vs movie accurate brown in the clocktower) and Fleur has a different head to the other sets (instead of the Ellie Slater head, it's the Phoebe head from FRIENDS (I guess the open mouth could refer to the Beauxbatons opening ceremony)). 

I do like how the torsos are gender-neutral, as the school isn't sex-segregated as it is in the movies.

Considering we know for a fact that the 2019 Advent Calendar was designed at the last minute when Lego realised the success of the theme I can't help but wonder if the two August sets were designed late as well, which would explain the extra details like the Beauxbatons uniforms and Madame Maxine having different hair. I guess if that was the case then this year we got a cmf and d2c instead of smaller exclusive sets. 

Also wasn't there an interview with a set designer where they said that they originally thought up 40 sets for Harry Potter that they definitely wanted to make and that the Beauxbatons Carriage was not on that original list, but a later idea. Or was that in reference to a different set? 

On 8/2/2020 at 9:27 AM, Guyon2002 said:

LEGO has also made it pretty clear how they want only 16 figures per series now so maybe they can even tie it into one of the Fantastic Beasts movies.

Oh, have lego said it official? :look: 

12 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

The Beauxbatons Carriage is an oddball set, but I’m not going to complain, since it’s also one of my favorites (it’s been a dream set for me since back when I was a little kid and the first GoF sets were released, so it was amazing to actually get it and so we’ll designed). And hopefully it will have sold well enough to reassure Lego that sets for the theme without Harry actually in them are still desirable (I think Borgin & Burke’s could work quite well as a stand-alone set and wouldn’t necessarily need Harry to be included). 

I don't think Beaubatons carriage have sell that good. It's going to be retired this year and haven't been hypead from HP fans as the castle section, Hagrids hut, the quidditch set for exampel.

I really like the Beaubatons set, I'd buy 3 of the set for an MOC to build it bigger when I've find it on sale for half the price. It's a nice suprise that lego have did unike molds for an set and show that we don't need cmf for well done molds for figures even if it only appear in one set. I relly like the easter egg with Gabrielle sleeping face :wub: The carriage was fun to build and I love the two flying horse and the other figure in the set. Hagrids new torso print was nice to get to.

11 hours ago, sebastian666 said:

Maybe we will still get the Durmstrang ship but it will be heavy on the mermaid minifigs and light on the cannon firing action features. I would be well happy with that!

I would love to get an mermaid set! I really want the old set but I don't like Hermione and Ron's sleeping face. I've Harry from that set and want to find especially Krum and some mermaid to for an good price.

I hope we get the Durmstrang ship next year, it would be an nice complement with the Beauxbatons carriage. If lego give us an well done ship then I think it would sell good, it would be interesting for people that like ships or pirates to. If barracuda bays sells very good then I think the chanse to get Durmstrang ship soon is high.

6 hours ago, Salix said:

I'm not sure about all figures yet but I'm definetely planning to get at least 4 copies of Harry and Neville 

I haven't seen the fantastic beast movies but I'd get the two set and really liked them.

The three creatures we get in Newt case was fun to build. The thestral and the niffler was my biggest favourite. I'm guessing we wouldn't get them in another HP set and they are useful for MOCs when it's in the same "universum". I'm going to build some small places in my Hogwarts MOC for my nifflers and their hidden gold.

I was so disappointed when they haven't included Lockman with an pixie in the cmf.. This cmf have less creatures/animal then the previous and it was an big disappointment imo. I've a small hope that we would get something more in DA at least.

On 8/1/2020 at 11:19 AM, OutlandishCandle said:

Does anyone else really want a Lee Jordan minifigure? He was always a favourite of mine in the books.

It kind of feels like he was merged with Dean Thomas in Series 1, but then again he could be a perfect CMF candidate with a new hairpiece.

Me! me! He is on my want/prediction list for series 3. I think he is a great and reasonably likely figure to include: he would have a new hair mould which is ucefull for reuse in city etc and in other themes and it’s another student figure which LEGO seems to want a lot of in each CMF and he is the best choice I think for the next series BAME representation. 
His accessory can be a scarf and microphone I guess, and should have two faces; neutral and shouting