Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

32 minutes ago, teos said:

Just like Disney Series 2, I find Lego's choice of HP figures to be lackluster.  Of course, there are some nice ones, but it does little to fill in the important gaps.

But unlike Disney series 2, where they had a lackluster character line up and then proceeded to screw several of the characters over in terms of accessories and prints (Jasmine blatantly reused the hair and accessory from the Princess sets and her prints did not make up for it) - pretty much all of the Harry Potter series 2 minifigures have really nice prints and unique accessories that don’t disappoint. Yes, there’s more of a focus on casual clothes but that just means the series will attract a decent number of non-Harry Potter fans and get a sales boost (between just the sword of Gryffindor, goblin ears, and Butterbeer mugs I can see a whole lot of AFOLs who were disappointed by everything but the Viking in series 20 being very interested in a licensed series when they otherwise wouldn’t be). The Disney series was half composed of mascot characters with molded heads (and very little else going for them) and the fact that two of those were practically identical to the minifigures in the Steamboat Willie ideas set was basically an insult to all those involved. Likewise, the DC Superheroes series failed to score enough nostalgia points to make up for the fact that some of the designs were too simple, and many fans were disgruntled with how many parts and prints were recycled when it felt like the new price hike justified something more. In contrast, for all the character selection might fall flat, pretty every single one of these actually looks like it justifies the higher price tag, and even the characters and variations that we might feel were ‘wasted spots’ are still ones that would never have appeared in a set (except for perhaps Ginny, although as much as I wish they’d just put her in the AT and spared Neville the indignity of the waiter’s outfit, I realize they were down to the wire on they’re budget). 

Just now, Felkin said:

[...] minifig pack is on the way next year? (I can dream.)

That would be quite realistic since all it requires is two new prints :laugh: Fingers crossed we get something like that next year!

Btw, a certain someone has deleted their IG account... again :laugh_hard: This time for good I hope!

35 minutes ago, teos said:

Just like Disney Series 2, I find Lego's choice of HP figures to be lackluster.  Of course, there are some nice ones, but it does little to fill in the important gaps.

Its more like the cmf is leaving the important ones for sets later on.

1 hour ago, DarkLordSauron said:

Also picking Slughorn's party Ginny instead of a Hogwarts robes Ginny is not a choice I'm a fan of, but that's just nitpicking.

Whaaat, we got so many Gryffindor robes already!   you even get one this series with neville.

its very nice we not get a proper ginny face! =D  very nice hair mold too, though quite specific

I am impressed how many dual printed heads we get ! !

As lego themes go this revival of harry potter is the best lego have ever done, so comprehensive!    It has beat to think lego has been doing star wars for 20 years? and potter far outdoes it in less than 3 years..

Can anyone make out if Neville's robes are identical to Hermione's from series 1 ? It seems like he has some sort of brown sweater sticking out from underneath his robes but maybe it's just the picture. 
Odd to give him medium legs, when all the others now have normal legs (although I get that the Monster books hints at him being based on year three) Would have been great to get some regular legs with gryffindor robe printing, could have added some variety.

41 minutes ago, teos said:

That'x entirely subjective. Myrtle, the twins, Professor Sprout, Kingsley, a non specific Nevile, Griphook, Lily, and James are all absolutely essential characters, imho.

I really could have done wihout yet another Luna though. The first one was perfect. She and Bellatrix are really the only characters here who's presence is a waste of space (given that it was inevitable that Harry, Ron, and Hermione would appear).

There's another new recolour nobody seems to have noticed yet: Bellatrix's handcuffs are dark bluish gray :wink: Pretty pointless, but nice to have in a fourth colour :sweet:

8 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Btw, a certain someone has deleted their IG account... again :laugh_hard: This time for good I hope!

If there’s one thing I actually do enjoy about all my predictions for the last five CMF slots being wrong, it’s that it official killed the last shreds of credibility he was trying to salvage 

6 minutes ago, deskp said:

As lego themes go this revival of harry potter is the best lego have ever done, so comprehensive!    It has beat to think lego has been doing star wars for 20 years? and potter far outdoes it in less than 3 years..

Yeah, Harry Potter compared to Star Wars definitely proves that quality beats quantity. True Harry Potter has the advantage in the CMF budget Star Wars can’t use, and the several years of inactivity before the reboot gave the redux sets more room to grow - but given that I thought “surely the Burrow is the one set from the old theme that can’t really be improved upon” and Lego said “hold my butterbeer”, it’s so obvious that designers really love this theme. 

3 minutes ago, klinton said:

I really could have done wihout yet another Luna though. The first one was perfect. She and Bellatrix are really the only characters here who's presence is a waste of space (given that it was inevitable that Harry, Ron, and Hermione would appear).

You might not think much of Quidditch fan Luna and prison robes Bellatrix, but both characters are fan favorites, those variants will never be able to appear in sets, and had both been proposed as CMF possibilities long before the first package leak. You probably won’t see AFOLs army building them like some of the others, but I can guarantee there will be plenty of kids and adult Harry Potter fans who don’t collect Lego grabbing blind bags for themselves in hopes of getting one of those two specifically. 

5 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

You might not think much of Quidditch fan Luna and prison robes Bellatrix, but both characters are fan favorites, those variants will never be able to appear in sets, and had both been proposed as CMF possibilities long before the first package leak. You probably won’t see AFOLs army building them like some of the others, but I can guarantee there will be plenty of kids and adult Harry Potter fans who don’t collect Lego grabbing blind bags for themselves in hopes of getting one of those two specifically. 

Oh, of course. That was precisely my point: it's entirely subjective. What one person sees as disappointing another sees as perfection. I'm over the moon that they included James. Like, there is no other character I could have wanted more than he. :)

Just now, dyl-and said:

Myrtle's diary has a printed tile reading

"My name is Harry Potter

Hello..."

It’s amazing tiny little details like that that make this series actually feel worth the price. I can’t wait to see what the tile in The Prince’s book looks like. 

It is a Solid Line of minifigs but I can't understand why they did only a series of 16, they could have easily Made 20 so there would be 3x the whole series in one Box.

One big issue is also that besides Neville there is no fig for me which I'd buy multiple times. With the First HP Wave it was Something different, 2x Newt, 4x Dumbledore, 4x Voldemort, some Harrys, Harrys again, Hermiones, Rons, Deans, Chos, Dobbys, Dracos and Nevilles. So with that Said I don't think they will Well as good as the First Wave, also why didn't they include some of the Last Fantastic beast Film? Young Dumbledore, French Bad witch, Black Wizard from Paris and the follower of Grindelwald from the macusa would have Been great additions.

3 minutes ago, Legonaut said:

It is a Solid Line of minifigs but I can't understand why they did only a series of 16, they could have easily Made 20 so there would be 3x the whole series in one Box.

Even if there were 20 figures they wouldn't give us 3 full series in one box, just look at the Disney series :laugh_hard:

2 hours ago, teos said:

I agree to the extent that this CMF line is does not have many new characters. There's a bit of providing characters that are exclusive to expensive sets to people who don't want to pay that much (Ginny, Bellatrix). I think there's a bit of a problem with doing this. Ginny, for example: I've never understood why Lego makes her so rare, going back years and years. She's a very common, prominent character in the source material. And then there's Luna, who will have three versions of her available this year... there could be some better planning overall across sets and CMFs.

1 hour ago, deskp said:

Whaaat, we got so many Gryffindor robes already!   you even get one this series with neville.

lol I know, I know, I'm just sour about Slughorn's party being the scene they went with for the flagship set of the wave. I do think we should've gotten Ginny in Hogwarts robes a wave or two ago so we'd already have that version and they could do new versions of her now. Lego is just bizarrely stingy with Ginnys.

Does anyone know if the book that comes with Harry has any indication it's the Half-Blood Prince's?

Edited by DarkLordSauron

I'm glad that they didn't make James and Lily look very old (at least judging from the pics we have). Seems like they can actually pass for being 21, unlike the film actors.

I really just can’t get past the weird buck tooth goofy smiley faces for Fred and George. I’ll wait to see better pictures but I might have to use different faces for them, because those look so stupid

Although they do seem to have more normal alternate faces as seen in the building instructions section of the leaflet 

Also, why doesn’t James have glasses?

8 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Also, why doesn’t James have glasses?

We've already discussed this and if you look very closely you can just make them out, really gotta squint your eyes :laugh_hard:

26 minutes ago, DarkLordSauron said:

Lego is just bizarrely stingy with Ginnys.

It’s not just a lego thing, Ginny’s underrepresented in merchandise no matter what brand you look at. I think the sad fact of the matter is that all these companies have done their market research and concluded that she’s just not as popular among fans as Luna or Hermione, so she’s more likely to get lost in the shuffle when a product has limited character spots. :def_shrug:

10 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

It’s not just a lego thing, Ginny’s underrepresented in merchandise no matter what brand you look at. I think the sad fact of the matter is that all these companies have done their market research and concluded that she’s just not as popular among fans as Luna or Hermione, so she’s more likely to get lost in the shuffle when a product has limited character spots. :def_shrug:

Damn, we still need a CoS variant of her. We haven’t seen that uniform design in minifigures yet. Perhaps her F&B version in DA?

22 minutes ago, bluedog1111 said:

So when do you all think DA will be revealed?

I'd say in roughly two weeks if there's no VIP early access period, and it doesn't look there is going to be one :sceptic:

18 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

2 Ginnys > 0 Ginnys, I'll take whatever we can get :tongue:

2 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Anyone else think Fred and George’s faces look kind of stupid?

I see what you mean. I’m not a fan of the super goofy & generic style for real actors.

8 minutes ago, Otherworld said:

Damn, we still need a CoS variant of her. We haven’t seen that uniform design in minifigures yet. Perhaps her F&B version in DA?

There’s definitely more than a good chance we’ll get her in Diagon Alley in some form or other, whether it’s in F&B or WWW. And since the Chamber of Secrets is the set that gets speculated about every time a new wave is announced, I can’t imagine we won’t get a new version sooner or later - probably not next year, but I’d definitely give it good odds for 2022 since the theme definitely seems to be going strong enough to last that long - and the 2002 CoS set was where we got the very first Ginny minifig. 

19 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

I'd say in roughly two weeks if there's no VIP early access period, and it doesn't look there is going to be one :sceptic:

I'm still committing the cardinal sin of optimism and hoping for a Diagon Alley leak and/or reveal early next week.  :blush: :grin:

Edited by RogueTwo

One really good thing I've noticed in the CMF series is how many figures have double sided faces:

Harry, Ron, Hermione, Moaning Myrtle, Professor Sprout, Bellatrix all definitely have double sided faces from what I can tell.

And by the looks of it, I think James Potter, Kingsley, Luna and maybe you could count Fred and George all having double sided faces too.

So that would be a total of 11 out of 16 characters with double sided faces.

Also anyone else love how we get an undamaged version of Tom Riddle's diary, with a 1x2 saying My name is Harry Potter, and underneath Hello... 

3 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Anyone else think Fred and George’s faces look kind of stupid?

I agree. The more I look at them, the more I hate them. They look like Timmy and Jimmy from South Park. Absolutely horrible. What a waste of two slots...

I get the business logic behind it though. You need to have a few bleh minifigs in the mix to ensure kids by more blind bags if they get them and they’re not the ones they wanted.

Overall, I’m happy with the series as a whole. Can’t wait to see the selection of minifigs that come with Diagon Alley!