Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

...still cautiously optimistic for tomorrow though :tongue:

If we don’t get a reveal tomorrow... I’m going to cry throughout the weekend 

5 hours ago, chris6507 said:

...Just out of curiosity... What other LEGO themes are you guys into?

Well, aside from Harry Potter, my main long-term theme is Star Wars. I've been "collecting" for over a decade at this point, but I usually only get a few sets every year, due to the stupidly high prices. This year will probably be my biggest takeaway from the line in a while, since I already have the Mando BP and Mustafar, and plan on getting the AC, 501st, AAT, and AT-AT; as well as the rumoured Mos Eisley D2C if it's done well, but that probably won't be for at least a year, since I have a few other large D2Cs that take priority (Tantive IV, NES, Diagon Alley).

For new themes, I am in love with LEGO Super Mario. While minifigures are of course a major part of LEGO for me, I simply adore all of the creative and unique character designs (aside from the Boos), and many of the structure builds look like they popped straight out of the games. My favorites from this year are the Guarded Fortress, Bowser's Castle, and the Whomp set... as well as the NES, but I don't really think of that in the same series as the other sets. My only real fear with LEGO Mario is that this first wave already exhausted most of the settings and characters I have interest in- the only other sets I can think of being interested in are an SMB3 Airship or Peach's Castle (unless they made sets based on the AlphaDream RPGs, but I find it very doubtful they'd do something that incredible).

Those are really the only two themes aside from HP that I have plans to partake in to any serious degree, but I do still look into other themes from time-to-time. I usually get at least one Ninjago set per season, pick up the occasional Iron Man set, and once in a blue moon grab something from Minecraft.

Overall, though, HP is by far my favorite theme from LEGO, and it's my current long-term collecting goal to purchase every set from the theme's run (2001-2011, 2016-2017, 2018~) by decade's end.

9 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Well, aside from Harry Potter, my main long-term theme is Star Wars. I've been "collecting" for over a decade at this point, but I usually only get a few sets every year, due to the stupidly high prices. This year will probably be my biggest takeaway from the line in a while, since I already have the Mando BP and Mustafar, and plan on getting the AC, 501st, AAT, and AT-AT; as well as the rumoured Mos Eisley D2C if it's done well, but that probably won't be for at least a year, since I have a few other large D2Cs that take priority (Tantive IV, NES, Diagon Alley).

I know this is totally topic, but if I were you I would try to get the Tantive IV this year, as it will probably be gone by December.  It's a solid set that becomes exceptional with even a tiny bit of superficial modding.  The minifigures are few but fantastic.

Diagon Alley needs to show up tomorrow, or I'm going to lose my mind.  It seems inconceivable to me that we won't get anything tomorrow.  I'd bet my entire LEGO collection (and probably lose it, at the rate my predictions have gone)....

Edited by RogueTwo

Diagon Alley is probably one of the biggest sets all year, they know they can release it whenever they want for hype. 

Just now, phoenix416 said:

I am very pessimistic about tomorrow now. I doubt LEGO really knows what they are doing.

I think they know exactly what they’re doing. Keep in mind no one is even supposed to know this set exists. They’ve had a reveal date ready for a long time and us finding out about the set and anticipating it won’t change their plans. Harry Potter fans aren’t Lego’s only audience, they have tons of themes to plan and reveal dates to make. It’ll come

1 minute ago, phoenix416 said:

I am very pessimistic about tomorrow now. I doubt LEGO really knows what they are doing.

What makes you pessimistic about tomorrow?  I don't think a teaser the day before is necessary at all. 

9 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

What makes you pessimistic about tomorrow?  I don't think a teaser the day before is necessary at all. 

I remember 71043 had a teaser. Also considering that NES and piano both have teasers recently, I feel like either DA will have a teaser as well (so tomorrow we won't see a release), or DA is treated less important than sets with teasers...

I'm really starting to doubt we'll get the DA reveal tomorrow, surely they would've teased something by now if that were the case :sceptic:

7 hours ago, chris6507 said:

Anakin Skywalker waiting for the reveal of Diagon Alley: "if you are suffering as much as I am, PLEASE, tell me."

Just out of curiosity... What other LEGO themes are you guys into? I'm very movie based with my LEGO. Lord of the Rings, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Jurassic World etc, with a little dabbling in super heroes (trying to quit) and star wars (way too many sets). Just curious what sort of mixes other people are into?

I'm mainly into Harry Potter, Jurassic World, Marvel, DC (only for the figures) and I get the occasional Star Wars set. I'd like to collect more SW stuff but those prices are ridiculous :ugh:

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

Or they post a teaser tomorrow and then spend the entire weekend pointing and laughing at us :head_back:

I actually think this is a legitimate possibility. A post acknowledging Harry’s birthday and maybe a little teaser that says something about the best place to buy a wizard’s birthday present would make a lot of sense.

Here in the US, we are also expecting some other big news to be revealed tomorrow / this weekend: Vice President Biden’s official announcement of his running mate. This will be a major news event (in the US and possibly abroad) as we anticipate Biden to make the historic decision to appoint a Black woman as his Vice President.

This may seem totally irrelevant to the timing of a major toy reveal, but if you were LEGO’s marketing team would you want to announce one of your biggest most expensive product launches on a day that social media will be completely saturated with news of the VP announcement?

1 minute ago, sebastian666 said:

I actually think this is a legitimate possibility. A post acknowledging Harry’s birthday and maybe a little teaser that says something about the best place to buy a wizard’s birthday present would make a lot of sense.

Here in the US, we are also expecting some other big news to be revealed tomorrow / this weekend: Vice President Biden’s official announcement of his running mate. This will be a major news event (in the US and possibly abroad) as we anticipate Biden to make the historic decision to appoint a Black woman as his Vice President.

This may seem totally irrelevant to the timing of a major toy reveal, but if you were LEGO’s marketing team would you want to announce one of your biggest most expensive product launches on a day that social media will be completely saturated with news of the VP announcement?

Didn’t Biden say he would decide the first week of August? I don’t know how Lego can necessarily plan for that given there’s no definite date. Either way, I don’t really see the two announcements overlapping. Diagon Alley won’t get an article in NPR :laugh:

Edited by Modal

Just now, Modal said:

Didn’t Biden say he would decide the first week of August? I don’t know how Lego can necessarily plan for that given there’s no definite date. Either way, I don’t really see the two announcements overlapping. Diagon Alley won’t get an article in NPR :laugh:

His team gave August 1st as the official date, but that may have shifted after the leak from Politico this week.

8 hours ago, chris6507 said:

Anakin Skywalker waiting for the reveal of Diagon Alley: "if you are suffering as much as I am, PLEASE, tell me."

Just out of curiosity... What other LEGO themes are you guys into? I'm very movie based with my LEGO. Lord of the Rings, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Jurassic World etc, with a little dabbling in super heroes (trying to quit) and star wars (way too many sets). Just curious what sort of mixes other people are into?

I’m really only into Harry Potter and Lego Ideas. I don’t have a ton of room for Legos and am mostly interested in the bigger detailed sets like the Tree House or Diagon Alley. 

I don’t get nearly as much lego as I used to, but Harry Potter is my main theme. Sometimes I’ll dabble in Star Wars, but that’s pretty much it as far as the themes I buy, though I do follow a few other themes like Ninjago (hoping to get the new Destiny’s Bounty eventually) and Marvel, DC, Ideas, and Creator, and get excited for those themes even if I don’t end up buying anything from them

Edited by Holden Brickfield

I don’t know if Lego does announcements or teases on Fridays. At this point I’m expecting a cmf reveal first maybe on Monday or early next week. Diagon Alley I would say we a week or so before a reveal. I could be wrong but that’s my guess 

The 2018 launch of the new Harry Potter series got me back into LEGO for the first time since I was a little kid. I now have every new Harry Potter set except for the Knight Bus, which doesn’t appeal to me.

During quarantine, I started branching out to some of my other favorite movie themes like Jurassic World. I’ve got six or seven of those sets now and they are great. I built them while listening to the original Michael Crichton novels on audible. Also picked up the Ideas dinosaur museum set, which looks gorgeous as part of a bookshelf display.

A few weeks ago I decided to treat myself after a big win at work to a brand new unopened Unexpected Gathering at Bag End set from the LEGO Lord of the Rings series. I have to say that it was probably one of the most enjoyable builds I’ve ever completed and looks perfect next to my Tolkien books.

d8EpkPT.jpg

Now, slowly but surely, I’ve started hunting for good deals on unopened sets of my ultimate favorite LEGO series as a little kid - Egypt Adventurers. They are so expensive and so hard to find now. I got the Ancient Egyptian museum set from the LEGO Scooby Doo series to satiate my desire to drop a ton of cash on them.

I also considered getting the new D2C Haunted House which is basically one giant Easter egg hunt for LEGO Egypt Adventurers fans, but I have heard some terrible reviews about it. Has anyone here bought and built it?

I also wanted to save my LEGO money for what I am anticipating will be my new favorite set of all time - DIAGON ALLEY!

Edited by sebastian666

I think there might not be a teaser and that it is a possibility that they might just reveal it on Friday without a teaser happening first.

Just now, Falconfan1414 said:

I don’t know if Lego does announcements or teases on Fridays. At this point I’m expecting a cmf reveal first maybe on Monday or early next week. Diagon Alley I would say we a week or so before a reveal. I could be wrong but that’s my guess 

If my analysis was good for something, it showed that CMF reveals can happen on any day of the week (weekends excluded). How about a CMF reveal tomorrow + a teaser of DA as a bonus? ...let me enjoy my delusions :tongue:

33 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

I don’t see the correlation personally, I don’t think a VP pick would affect the reveal date of a toy, honestly the reveal would be a nice distraction from all the dumpster fire that is US politics.  If you want to point fingers of an announcement delay it would be Coronavirus, I wouldn’t be surprised if the CMF gets pushed back because of it. As for Diagon Alley, I know July 31st would be the optimal reveal date but the D2Cs have recently been revealed two weeks out from release date so I’m impatiently waiting for the second or third week of August at this point. All this hype reminds me of the UCS Falcon three years back.

Edited by RODDY

Just now, RODDY said:

If you want to point fingers of an announcement delay it would be Coronavirus, I wouldn’t be surprised if the CMF gets pushed back because of it. 

You mean because they don’t want people to touch blind bags? If so, consider this: 

71361-0.jpg?202006160531

4 minutes ago, RODDY said:

If you want to point fingers of an announcement delay it would be Coronavirus, I wouldn’t be surprised if the CMF gets pushed back because of it. As for Diagon Alley, I know July 31st would of been the optimal reveal date but the D2Cs have recently been revealed two weeks out from release date so I’m impatiently waiting for the second or third week of August at this point.

To be honest if it wasn't for the fact that Lego has done the VIP question event I would be seriously thinking that both may have be delayed due to CV. Whereas now we know something is coming, it's just a question of when and is it both DA and the CMF. @Lego-Freak I think they mean because production will probably have been slowed. I'd say if anything if will be the CMF delayed, because whilst we have seen leaked DA figures, we've had no leaks regarding the CMF other than a digital image.

Edited by BacktoBricks

Just now, BacktoBricks said:

To be honest if it wasn't for the fact that Lego has done the VIP question event I would be seriously thinking that both may have be delayed due to CV. Whereas now we know something is coming, it's just a question of when and is it both DA and the CMF. @Lego-Freak I think they mean because production will probably have been slowed.

Perhaps in the US, but everything scheduled for August in Europe will be released as planned so I don't see why that should be different for the September releases :wink:

8 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

A few weeks ago I decided to treat myself after a big win at work to a brand new unopened Unexpected Gathering at Bag End set from the LEGO Lord of the Rings series. I have to say that it was probably one of the most enjoyable builds I’ve ever completed and looks perfect next to my Tolkien books.

d8EpkPT.jpg

This was one of my favourite builds as well. It's so cozy and charming and your display is a nice little nook. There was a power outage while I was working on it but luckily I had enough candles to keep building, which really added to the effect. I always part out sets eventually but I used the general concept and the circular window when I built the Hufflepuff common room. I even did circular doors to the dorms.