Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Just now, Micmac said:

Would love to see the no budget worry version of the sets.

Are you sure you would? :wink: I think it’s just make me feel disappointed for what could have been!

8 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

Are you sure you would? :wink: I think it’s just make me feel disappointed for what could have been!

yes but my wallet might be happy I don't see them. I think I always see what could have been when i see certain sets. I often think I need two of a set to make it right, two Sanctum Sanctorum sets 76108 to make the scale a bit better, two Arkham Asylum breakout 10937 to make it modular, two greta halls (or 10!!!!). It doesn't apply to everything but a certain price point often feels like it needs extra pieces. The Ninjago movie city set is perfect but the docks expansion definitely had better versions before budget took away from it. I've left the first set the same but added to the docks part to make it taller like the original. 

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

It absolutely is in jeopardy - J.K. Rowling is an extremely controversial person after all her anti-trans tweets (and I bet WB would rather throw her in a basement then let her have involvement in further movies).

Please, she’s being backed up by trans people who are getting called anti-trans themselves. The most prominent response to her has been an appalling display of bullying and harassment by a community that faces bullying and harassment. The level of hypocrisy is ridiculous. This subject was made off-limits by the mods for a reason, yet it rattles on.

49 minutes ago, Micmac said:

Questions for the designers that the won't answer. I wonder do they build, during the design phase, a deluxe version of the sets they are making and then have to crop it down to fit budget. Would love to see the no budget worry version of the sets. 

Actually as it so happens, Matthew Ashton, VP of Design at LEGO answered some questions on his Instagram account a few hours ago, and one of them was exactly what you were wondering: 

“What is the hardest part of being a lego designer?”

“When you’re designing a LEGO set, of course you create the dream model to begin with, and then you have to figure out what are the right compromises to get it down to the right price that we need to and all of that. So that can be pretty tricky but it’s a good challenge.”

Edited by Holden Brickfield

14 minutes ago, Holden Brickfield said:

Actually as it so happens, Matthew Ashton, VP of Design at LEGO answered some questions on his Instagram account a few hours ago, and one of them was exactly what you were wondering: 

“What is the hardest part of being a lego designer?”

“When you’re designing a LEGO set, of course you create the dream model to begin with, and then you have to figure out what are the right compromises to get it down to the right price that we need to and all of that. So that can be pretty tricky but it’s a good challenge.”

It must be so depressing to have to butcher your cool model to fit into the budget. The white door frames are a perfect example of it in the astronomy tower set. Nasty looking things. 

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

It absolutely is in jeopardy - J.K. Rowling is an extremely controversial person after all her anti-trans tweets (and I bet WB would rather throw her in a basement then let her have involvement in further movies).

Then we've got Johnny Depp, whose picture is deeply damaged by his case with Amber Heard (even tho all signs point towards her being much more guilty, this war is not going to end both for any of them).

After that there's Ezra Miller with this whole "punching a fan in a bar that's outside of America during a quarantine without wearing a mask" situation, and he didn't even apologise or anything.

And last but not least - the second movie was terrible. Bad reviews from fans and critics, people kind of lost interest in this franchise. They have to make the third movie at least as good as the original to make fans hopeful for a better future.

Nah they are fine

Writers from the HP films are joining to help Rowling with the third film.

I think the pandemic is giving them time to put together a stronger sequel. I'm sure they will gamble on it and let the door open for a 4th one.

In the meantime, TLG has more than enough HP material to release sets. I wonder if they go back and release something from FB 1 and FB2 though. 

Or maybe they can sneak in a young Dumbledore or a young Newt Scamander in any of the Hogwarts sets

18 minutes ago, Nick unassembled said:

Really feels like theres never been a better time to be a lego HP fan

The truest statement uttered all day 

Enough of the JK Rowling stuff. I get why people think it's relevant, I really do. At the same time, as a MOD it's my role to keep these discussions both on topic and pleasant for everyone.

Therefore: stop with the JK Rowling and all not directly LEGO talk. First and last warning.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

In the meantime, TLG has more than enough HP material to release sets. I wonder if they go back and release something from FB 1 and FB2 though. 

I’m not all that optimistic about it since they’ve basically abandoned FB (even when it comes to the CMF), but I sure hope they release at least one or two more sets on the first two installments at some point. There’s still plenty of desirable characters and fantastic beasts themselves missing :classic:

3 hours ago, Micmac said:

yes but my wallet might be happy I don't see them. I think I always see what could have been when i see certain sets. I often think I need two of a set to make it right, two Sanctum Sanctorum sets 76108 to make the scale a bit better, two Arkham Asylum breakout 10937 to make it modular, two greta halls (or 10!!!!). It doesn't apply to everything but a certain price point often feels like it needs extra pieces. The Ninjago movie city set is perfect but the docks expansion definitely had better versions before budget took away from it. I've left the first set the same but added to the docks part to make it taller like the original. 

We did see a prototype great hall at a toy fair in 2018. A lot of stuff was missing in the final version. 

4 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Nah they are fine

Writers from the HP films are joining to help Rowling with the third film.

I think the pandemic is giving them time to put together a stronger sequel. I'm sure they will gamble on it and let the door open for a 4th one.

Or maybe they can sneak in a young Dumbledore or a young Newt Scamander in any of the Hogwarts sets

I really like the FB series and we are definitely getting a third film! Then I guess it depend on that one if we get more, but I sure hope so :blush:

3 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

I’m not all that optimistic about it since they’ve basically abandoned FB (even when it comes to the CMF), but I sure hope they release at least one or two more sets on the first two installments at some point. There’s still plenty of desirable characters and fantastic beasts themselves missing :classic:

The FB in the CMF last time was put in the last minute because of the movie, this year it is no movie so they did not have the same reason to include them. If the coming FB movies do well we will see more sets in the future, but unlike HP it is one of those things that rely on the movie being a successes to make the Lego sets bestsellers. There have been plenty of themes with great sets like Prince of Persia and Lone Ranger, but since the movies "fail" do not sell a lot of sets:hmpf_bad:

A lot of the characters from FB would fit perfectly inside DA :wub:

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

A lot of the characters from FB would fit perfectly inside DA :wub:

Definitely! I'm hoping as well we might get a Fantastic Beasts Book piece (like the Moby Brick one in the Bookshop) in the DA. 

51 minutes ago, Scarlet_Patronus said:

Hi guys - probably been discussed before - but when does LEGO take payment for sets on back order? Thanks ☺️

A couple of days before it ships they'll do an authorization. Then they'll finalize the charge after it ships.

29 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

Definitely! I'm hoping as well we might get a Fantastic Beasts Book piece (like the Moby Brick one in the Bookshop) in the DA. 

That would be amazing! Does F&B sell it in-universe? I thought it was only available at the other book store in DA, but luckily that probably wouldn’t stop them from including it anyway :laugh: The FB book is definitely at the top of my accessory wishlist for DA

Edit: Never mind, the other “store” is the book’s publisher, just looked it up :purrr: So if F&B is included in the set, the FB book is quite likely to be featured as well

Edited by Lego-Freak

1 hour ago, klinton said:

A couple of days before it ships they'll do an authorization. Then they'll finalize the charge after it ships.

Excellent - thank you! ☺️ I want to back order The Burrow now so I’ll have a little surprise to look forward to in the next months! ? 

32 minutes ago, Scarlet_Patronus said:

Excellent - thank you! ☺️ I want to back order The Burrow now so I’ll have a little surprise to look forward to in the next months! ? 

They will run an authorization straight away when you place the initial order, eh? If you've not got the funds available right now, the order likely won't go through. I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood your question. I thought you were waiting on an item you'd already previously ordered.

5 minutes ago, klinton said:

They will run an authorization straight away when you place the initial order, eh? If you've not got the funds available right now, the order likely won't go through. I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood your question. I thought you were waiting on an item you'd already previously ordered.

I do have funds - just wondered when it does come out! ☺️ But thanks for clearing up :) 

Just a heads up, if anybody is still looking to get the Knight Bus, potentially before it retires later this year, Amazon UK currently have it reduced to £20. Lowest I've seen it in a while apart from those crazy specific supermarket deals. They also have Quidditch for £22.

Edited by BacktoBricks

2 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

Just a heads up, if anybody is still looking to get the Knight Bus, potentially before it retires later this year, Amazon UK currently have it reduced to £20. Lowest I've seen it in a while apart from those crazy specific supermarket deals. They also have Quidditch for £22.

It’s a price match of B&M; they had Quidditch, Knight Bus, Hungarian Horntail and Rise of Voldemort All at fantastic prices!

7 hours ago, Roebuck said:

The FB in the CMF last time was put in the last minute because of the movie, this year it is no movie so they did not have the same reason to include them. If the coming FB movies do well we will see more sets in the future, but unlike HP it is one of those things that rely on the movie being a successes to make the Lego sets bestsellers.

I’m pretty sure that the Fantastic Beasts characters were not a last minute addition to the first CMF series. The whole impetus behind bringing back the LEGO Harry Potter theme in 2018 was the marketing and merchandising blitz surrounding the release of the second Fantastic Beasts film. Thankfully, we fans proved that we will still buy up Harry Potter merchandise like hot cakes with or without a new film release. It’s why since 2018, we’ve seen a massive new influx of Harry Potter merch on the market - everything from Pottery Barn bedspreads and home decor to Funko POP figures and LEGO sets.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/shortcuts/2019/jan/04/harry-potter-and-the-explosion-of-hogwarts-merchandise

1 hour ago, sebastian666 said:

I’m pretty sure that the Fantastic Beasts characters were not a last minute addition to the first CMF series

I am pretty sure I read or heard that not so long ago in an interview etc, but since I do not know what to google to find it is hopeless. Maybe I dreamt it or if I find it later I will reply again :shrug_oh_well:

Where did the information that the VIP question thing was a one day only thing come from? I just checked and you can still ask questions.

LegoFan_33 has posted info about the Hagrid Brickhead being revealed next week, taking it with several grains of salt. We'll just have to wait and see.