Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

39 minutes ago, (Insert Name Here) said:

Personally this is what I want out of the Diagon Alley set.

This set to have:

PS: Ollivanders: with some play functions like a shelf breaking in two.

Gringotts: More of a façade, with less to it than the others.

CS: Flourish and Blotts: With Gilderoy Lockhart and a few new book prints (Magical Me, Travells with trolls etc)

PA: The Leaky Cauldron: with Sirius Black posters.

Then I hope they can make another Diagon Alley set with:

HBP: Weasley Wizarding Wheezes: With Fred and George, lots of colour and references.

HBP: Borgin and Burke: with the vanishing cabinet and maybe new prints for Bellatrix or Draco.

DH1: Gringotts: again, but this version could clip onto the first design and have the Ukrainian Ironbelly.

I really like this idea. Then we could get more detailed designs to the buildings and figures, as well as most of them getting at least 2 stories.

I really hope pictures of the whole set don’t leak early. Seeing it for the first time with the official images and learning everything about it at once is better in my opinion. The NES leaked one day early which wasn’t too bad, but I hope DA doesn’t leak the same way. I do like the new Harry figure and it’s a good way to combine the PS/CoS versions into one short leg variant. I’m still hoping we get an older HBP Harry, though! 

All of my sets finally arrived from the Netherlands today! I’m super excited to start building them but honestly it’s even more exciting knowing that there’s still more HP sets coming in 2020 with DA and the CMF series! 

1 hour ago, (Insert Name Here) said:

Personally this is what I want out of the Diagon Alley set.

This set to have:

PS: Ollivanders: with some play functions like a shelf breaking in two.

Gringotts: More of a façade, with less to it than the others.

CS: Flourish and Blotts: With Gilderoy Lockhart and a few new book prints (Magical Me, Travells with trolls etc)

PA: The Leaky Cauldron: with Sirius Black posters.

Then I hope they can make another Diagon Alley set with:

HBP: Weasley Wizarding Wheezes: With Fred and George, lots of colour and references.

HBP: Borgin and Burke: with the vanishing cabinet and maybe new prints for Bellatrix or Draco.

DH1: Gringotts: again, but this version could clip onto the first design and have the Ukrainian Ironbelly.

I don't know man, for $400 I hope we get more than that! Would feel weird to have to buy another $400 set to finish it up.

$800 to complete Diagonal Alley would be a very big ask, especially if it only has 6 buildings (even if Gringotts would be very large in your concept). Also, no way they do a split Gringotts like that. The second set would be very strange for people who don’t have hr first one.

oh, and how does Florean Fortescu fit in that?

I think it’s fairly unlikely that Diagon Alley will come in two parts - simply because it would be hard to market that way. It will probably be like the Hogwarts Castle, in that we’ll only get one side of the street and we’ll know there are more shops they could give us, but the most iconic parts will be covered in the set, making a ‘part 2’ set hard to sell. You’ve got to remember that this is a display piece first and foremost - the price really puts it a bit out of range for a play set. It’s got to look good when you put it on a shelf, and preferably have all its exterior elements easily visible when displayed that way. That’s why I don’t think think we’ll be getting Borgin and Burke’s in the D2C (although I think there’s a decent chance of getting it as a stand alone set in a couple of years), it’s just not visible from the main street, and inaccurately putting it next to the Diagon Alley shops would stick out like a sore thumb and likely irk a lot of fans. It’s also not outside the realm of possibility for Lego to do Gringott’s or WWW separately either, since they both have the power to sell well as stand alone sets. However, the artist in me really hopes they don’t do that, since those two larger, brighter buildings bookending a line of smaller shops would create a really nice and balanced looking piece. 

This has been on my mind for a while and I think I might have mentioned it before, but do you think they will have to do a matching version of the trio in the CMF. This is because it makes so much sense to have Ron with his patronus. It would be so perfect. Now with kingnono being exposed it makes it more likely. Like with aunt marge, I don't see us getting him out side of the CMF and we didn't get a version of Ron in his uniform in the 2020. I would like to hear you guys thoughts.

Edited by Tommy269

3 minutes ago, Tommy269 said:

This has been on my mind for a while and I think I might have mentioned it before, but do you think they will have to do a matching version of the trio in the CMF. This is because it makes so much sense to have Ron with his patronus. It would be so perfect. Now with kingnono being exposed it makes it more likely. Like with aunt marge, I don't see us getting him out side of the CMF and we didn't get a version of Ron in his uniform in the 2020. I would like to hear you guys thoughts.

I think any version of Ron in Hogwarts clothes would be a wasted spot, excluding polyjuiced Crabbe. The only thing that would be good to get there would be the terrier patronus but I personally wouldn't want to sacrifice one of the final spots for that. We already have more than enough Gryffindor robes and sweaters, to the point of even S2 Neville feeling redundant.

Just now, Tommy269 said:

This has been on my mind for a while and I think I might have mentioned it before, but do you think they will have to do a matching version of the trio in the CMF. This is because it makes so much sense to have Ron with his patronus. It would be so perfect. Like with aunt marge, I don't see us getting him out side of the CMF and we didn't get a version of Ron in his uniform in the 2020. I would like to hear you guys thoughts.

I think the big drawback to Ron with his patronus being in the CMF is that any Gryffindor uniform variation is going to be seen by most people as a wasted slot, especially since Ron isn’t even wearing a robe in that scene like the already leaked Neville with Monster Book is. Back when Hermione‘a and Luna’s patronuses hadn’t leaked yet and we all thought Luna’s hare would just be a recolor of the rabbit mold I thought Ron with an appropriate recolor of the preexisting terrier mold would make for a good polybag, but then the patronuses leaked and they were both new molds so the pieces could be hollow... so now the only way we could ever get Ron’s patronus is a CMF. 

The way I see it, Lego could have done the CMF trio in three different ways:

1. A matching HBP based trio, with the leaked Harry being the only Harry 

2. A matching trio plus another version of Harry from a different movie like they did in series 1, with the leaked Harry being the ‘extra’ Harry and the matching trio being from another movie/scene 

3. A non-matching trio with the leaked Harry being the only Harry

The only way we’d get Ron’s patronus is with option 3, and I’m not sure I could ever see Lego doing it just because of the outfit :/

1 hour ago, Accio Lego said:

That’s why I don’t think think we’ll be getting Borgin and Burke’s in the D2C (although I think there’s a decent chance of getting it as a stand alone set in a couple of years), it’s just not visible from the main street, and inaccurately putting it next to the Diagon Alley shops would stick out like a sore thumb and likely irk a lot of fans.

I still don’t understand people’s big issue with Borgin and Burke’s. I get that people feel it takes up a slot and could be a standalone, but if it is included, it clearly was never gonna be a standalone. But what you’re saying makes no sense to me - just put it on another shelf if it bothers you that much. It might not be in DA but it’s at least near it. Plus it’s not like locations in the Hogwarts sets have any sort of continuity with the films/books. I see no issue and it’s an awesome shop that would be a waste not to get.

3 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I really hope pictures of the whole set don’t leak early. Seeing it for the first time with the official images and learning everything about it at once is better in my opinion.

Just don’t look at the leaks then... no one is forcing you to! If you think that it’s better seeing it officially for the first time, why are you paying attention to leaks at all?

11 hours ago, joeee said:

Ahhh! The Harry minifig is so awesome!

I know in the films, B&B is pretty deep in Knockturn Alley. If the entrance to Knockturn Alley is to the left of Gringotts...I imagine TLG could put the shop just at then end of the DA set to the left of Gringotts....so maybe we will be getting B&B.

In the first two films, KA is next to the Leaky Cauldron. In HBP and DH, it has moved down towards Gringotts. So far all we've seen from this set is from the first two films, but who knows if that trend will continue. 

16 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

I still don’t understand people’s big issue with Borgin and Burke’s. I get that people feel it takes up a slot and could be a standalone, but if it is included, it clearly was never gonna be a standalone. But what you’re saying makes no sense to me - just put it on another shelf if it bothers you that much. It might not be in DA but it’s at least near it. Plus it’s not like locations in the Hogwarts sets have any sort of continuity with the films/books. I see no issue and it’s an awesome shop that would be a waste not to get.

Just don’t look at the leaks then... no one is forcing you to! If you think that it’s better seeing it officially for the first time, why are you paying attention to leaks at all?

I can only speak for myself, but I would rather the pieces go to the street instead of B&B because knockturn alley is just kinda a bummer. I love the vibrant wonderous world of DA, and that being super detailed is more important to me than the dark and gloomy B&B that has also already been done in the previous DA set.

That being said, either option is not an end all be all, just my personal preference.

37 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

Except it’s more than likely that the shops in the D2C will be connected to each other given Lego’s current commitment to screen accuracy wherever possible in this theme (and the way they clearly demonstrated their awareness of the street’s construction in the GWP). Not shops floating around wherever you please like in the 2011 set.
Lego isn’t going to want to say ‘here’s the official configuration, but this weird little dark arts shop isn’t visible from the front and it sticks off the back of the set in a way that makes it impossible to display it flush against the wall, so if you want to see the whole set on display or your shelves aren’t that deep you’ve got to rip this part off the back and put it somewhere else.
Personally, I’d rather get a Diagon Alley shop that could never be marketed on its own as part of the Diagon Alley D2C, as opposed to a Knockturn Alley shop that we know could be sold as a stand-alone set because it’s been done before. Just like I’d rather the Ukrainian Ironbelly be in its own set that features some vaults as opposed to getting it perched atop Gringotts in the D2C. 

Edited by Accio Lego

31 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

I couldn’t agree more. Bourgin and Burke’s is one of a small handful of shops in the Diagon Alley neighborhood that we actually get to see the interior (and the owner) of in the movies. I would be thrilled to get this building included in the D2C Diagon Alley set. Why wouldn’t LEGO include it? It creates a source of conflict within the set and there are so many fun elements that could be included - the vanishing cabinet, the cursed hand, the cursed necklace, all the Dark materials. I imagine it would be set a little bit behind the rest of the buildings like how LEGO has done with its recent City sets.

This is a basic layout of how I imagine the set will be like. I hope I am right, but most likely its wrong since I usually are surprised at how sets end up looking when I see them :blush: However with the fantastic quality of the sets in WW it most likely will be amazing no matter the layout :tongue:

https://ibb.co/G0HWYP9

7 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

This is a basic layout of how I imagine the set will be like. I hope I am right, but most likely its wrong since I usually are surprised at how sets end up looking when I see them :blush: However with the fantastic quality of the sets in WW it most likely will be amazing no matter the layout :tongue:

I like your approach :thumbup: The only issue I have with that layout is the amount of shops included. The set will most likely include 4000 parts tops, so that wouldn‘t leave much for each individual shop if there‘s that many. Scratch two or three of the shops and we‘re good to go :laugh:

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

I hope each building has technic pins so the layout can be changed around at will. The DA set changed between the CoS and HBP films, so it would be good to be able to reflect that in the Lego kit. 

5 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Nicely done, agree on the design being like this. The only problem I have is how it would be displayed, I think it will be only one side of the street since you wouldn´t be able to see the other side. You woud have 3 views left side stores backsides, right side stores backside, or from the front - central view, but the last stores would be very far away. 

Just now, legolord said:

Nicely done, agree on the design being like this. The only problem I have is how it would be displayed, I think it will be only one side of the street since you wouldn´t be able to see the other side. You woud have 3 views left side stores backsides, right side stores backside, or from the front - central view, but the last stores would be very far away. 

Maybe, if the different shops are interchangeable and modular, LEGO will give the opportunity to have both sides for the people who want that cobbled, jumbled look, and just one for those who want to display it or play with ease.

1 minute ago, legolord said:

I believe we will have something along this: 

LEGO City Street

Or something along the lines of set 10255 (LEGO CREATOR: ASSEMBLY SQUARE) . We will have only the critical sections, plus one or two that aren´t so critical. What really needs to be on it?  Gringotts, Leaky Cauldron and WWW. After that, I think we will have 2 more stores, and that´s pretty much it. Unless they decide to go not minifig scale but microfig scale which would lead to a bigger set in scale but smaller in proportion. I think they will choose the second one. 

6 hours ago, Roebuck said:

How big is WWW? The microscale set made me think its was a similar if not the same size as gringotts, but is it not?

28 minutes ago, legolord said:

Maybe I misunderstand you, but if you split it in two there is only one long street with Gringotts in the middle with shops on either side :classic:

9 minutes ago, Surge said:

How big is WWW? The microscale set made me think its was a similar if not the same size as gringotts, but is it not?

Just a normal shop size as far as I can see in the movie :shrug_oh_well:

1 hour ago, legolord said:

...Unless they decide to go not minifig scale but microfig scale which would lead to a bigger set in scale but smaller in proportion. I think they will choose the second one. 

How. We already have minifigure leaks, how could it be in microfig scale? Even discounting the other logical failures required to consider this an option, the minifigures alone confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt that the set will be designed for minifigures.

18 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

How. We already have minifigure leaks, how could it be in microfig scale? Even discounting the other logical failures required to consider this an option, the minifigures alone confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt that the set will be designed for minifigures.

We could get leaked set photos and people will still think it could be microscale!