Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

The figure looks really nice! Never would have guessed it... I was expected something similar to the previous version with maybe an extra shop or two, so this has me excited. I would be all ok with many smaller shops as long as that gives us more new characters and not just the usual suspects.

Fortescue is one of my favorite background characters so I'm very glad to see him leak, he looks great! However I wouldn't take this as confirmation that his shop is included as well, as some of you are thinking. He could just as easily come with a small icecart or be used as a "recognisable pedestrian", I'd even say one of those two options is more likely.

Are we sure this is Florean Fortescue and not middle-aged Harry after he got his scar removed :head_back:

Jk, if it wasn’t obvious already :tongue: I was just looking up some pictures on the HP wiki and the only picture they have of his film counterpart is really blurry, so blurry in fact you can’t even see if he’s wearing glasses or not. I wonder what source material the minifig designers used in order to get this kind of detail right 

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

He could just as easily come with a small icecart or be used as a "recognisable pedestrian", I'd even say one of those two options is more likely.

Good point. Someone has also brought up the 2011 set where Fred & George were included without WWW, so this could also be the case here :shrug_oh_well: 

I wouldn’t mind FFICP being reduced to an ice cream cart or a stand, but I‘d also be ok with FFICP being a full shop as long as it doesn‘t take the spot of one of the more prominent shops like F&B. 

18 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

I was just looking up some pictures on the HP wiki and the only picture they have of his film counterpart is really blurry, so blurry in fact you can’t even see if he’s wearing glasses or not. I wonder what source material the minifig designers used in order to get this kind of detail right 

In Cos, just after Harry and Hagrid leave Knockturn Alley and pass Gambol and Japes and the Second Hand Bookshop they emerge onto Diagon Alley and Fortescue can be seen quite clearly with glasses carrying some ice cream out to patrons. 

Great to wake up to an actual leak, although Florean is that obscure that a sleepy me was at first like 'Who's that ghost?'. ? But the fact that Florean is getting a figure makes me hopeful that other wanted characters will also be given due attention.

Very surprised at this reveal of a Florean Fortesque minifig. I'd never spotted his cameo in Chamber of Secrets and I've watched it plenty of times.

I'm still not sure whether if I lecce it though, as Lego haven't really made book characters like that or a background cameo into a full figure.

Wow, finally a leak and a fantastic one! What a beautiful minifigure. Also I think this is the first time we’ve gotten that hair piece in black

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

That’s an awesome figure. I’m really glad they’re doing more obscure characters. I like the torso piece.

I do hope they make the ice cream shoppe! The bit where Harry spent his summer hanging out on that terrace was a bit of a hilight of PoA for me, reminiscent of bygone days spent haunting busy cafes. While not the most recognizable facade on the street in the public consciousness, it's place in the narrative was rather significant.

Actually upon closer inspection, the hair appears to be dark brown, not black like I previously said. Still a new color

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

This is so exciting! I wonder what, if anything, Florean’s inclusion could hint to...

In the books, Florean Fortescue is most prominently featured in Prisoner of Azkaban. When Harry lives at the Leaky Cauldron for a few weeks over the summer, Florean treats him to free ice cream sundaes and helps him with his History of Magic homework. I always found that part very touching, as Harry doesn’t have parents to treat him to ice cream or help him with homework.

Does this mean we could be getting a nice Leaky Cauldron build with Harry’s room on the second floor? Will Florean’s Ice Cream Parlor be featured next to the entrance of Knockturn Alley like it was in the film?

I can’t believe it’s finally happening! The Diagon Alley leaks have begun!

12 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

In the books, Florean Fortescue is most prominently featured in Prisoner of Azkaban. When Harry lives at the Leaky Cauldron for a few weeks over the summer, Florean treats him to free ice cream sundaes and helps him with his History of Magic homework. I always found that part very touching, as Harry doesn’t have parents to treat him to ice cream or help him with homework.

I always liked that part too when listening to the audio - it felt very homely. :classic:

1 hour ago, (Insert Name Here) said:

I'm still not sure whether if I lecce it though, as Lego haven't really made book characters like that or a background cameo into a full figure.

Lucian Bole would like to say hello :wink:

3 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Are we sure this is Florean Fortescue and not middle-aged Harry after he got his scar removed :head_back:

Jk, if it wasn’t obvious already :tongue: I was just looking up some pictures on the HP wiki and the only picture they have of his film counterpart is really blurry, so blurry in fact you can’t even see if he’s wearing glasses or not. I wonder what source material the minifig designers used in order to get this kind of detail right 

Good point. Someone has also brought up the 2011 set where Fred & George were included without WWW, so this could also be the case here :shrug_oh_well: 

I wouldn’t mind FFICP being reduced to an ice cream cart or a stand, but I‘d also be ok with FFICP being a full shop as long as it doesn‘t take the spot of one of the more prominent shops like F&B. 

I could see us getting an ice cream cart and some tables and chairs as side builds instead of getting he full parlour. Seemed more realistic, instead of us getting 500 pieces on a building that barely made a feature in the films. Now this has been leaked I am getting a big nostalgia trip to first reading POA.

5 minutes ago, Tommy269 said:

I could see us getting an ice cream cart and some tables and chairs as side builds instead of getting he full parlour. Seemed more realistic, instead of us getting 500 pieces on a building that barely made a feature in the films. Now this has been leaked I am getting a big nostalgia trip to first reading POA.

Scarlet Patronus' lovely version of Fortescue's is under 500 elements, I reckon you could knock it down to around 400 in an official set and keep it roughly the same scale and detail level. 

As far as I know the other minor shops never have their proprietors on screen, so not sure whether if they were present in the D2C they could be 'staffed'. 

32 minutes ago, Seaber said:

Scarlet Patronus' lovely version of Fortescue's is under 500 elements, I reckon you could knock it down to around 400 in an official set and keep it roughly the same scale and detail level. 

As far as I know the other minor shops never have their proprietors on screen, so not sure whether if they were present in the D2C they could be 'staffed'. 

Awh thank you ☺️ Can’t wait to populate mine with the figure of Florean! 

Is no one here going to explain how to come about these so called "DA leaks"? Can't find them anywhere...

Edited by LordofArbiters

A list of thoughts regarding Diagon Alley upon seeing the Florean minifigure:

1.AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAexcitementAAAAAAAAA

2. If we're getting a minifigure of Florean, I think it's relatively safe to say that we'll be getting his ice cream parlor. I immediately draw two conclusions and one prediction from this: 

a. We'll be getting MANY more shops in DA than we've been expecting. I mean, if we're going as obscure as the ice cream shop that is only briefly mentioned in the third book and BRIEFLY shown in the second film, we're probably also getting some of the more recognizable B-tier buildings as well (Eeylop's, QQS, Madam Malkin's, etc), so it's rather likely we'll be getting more than just the 4-5 shops we'd all predicted. 

b. Since we'll be getting more shops, they'll all likely be smaller in size than we've been expecting. I honestly don't mind this as long as they have a good level of detail and interior space, but I could see some being put off by this.

c. No way of knowing whether this is the case as of yet, but I could see LEGO combining multiple shops into one building, similar to how multiple businesses usually occupy each Creator modular building. For example, I could see a building with the ice cream parlor on the bottom floor, but the Apothecary up above. Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled ravings.

3. I think this figure shows that the minifigure budget on this set is going to be INCREDIBLE. Firstly, if they're including a character as obscure as Florean Fortescue, who appears only as a minor background character in one film and a passing mention in two books, we'll probably get a pretty solid amount of figures, at least one per shop plus all the customers, and we clearly aren't afraid to delve into the highly obscure. Secondly, if such a minor character gets not just a new two-sided head, but also a new hair recolour, I have good faith that the rest of the new figures will follow suit with this high level of quality (Not expecting any bad reuses of prints). 

4. Just an observation, but the Doc Brown hair mould used here is very distinctive. If they include it here, I don't really see them also including it with Ollivander, so I find it likely he'll have a different hairpiece this time around.

5 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Yes, it is of course still possible that we get a similar D2C as last time only this time with 4 shop owner minifigs in front (do not feel safe before I see a picture) :devil:

No. The next person to nonsensically suggest Diagon Alley could be nanoscale is getting curbstomped. (Dear Mods, this is a joke, please don't ban my account.)

In all seriousness, this leak really has reignited my excitement for 75978... which is why it's unfortunate that I probably won't be able to fit in the budget until 2021, especially now that the new NES set just became my top priority.

8 minutes ago, LordofArbiters said:

Is no one here going to explain how to come about these so called "DA leaks"? Can't find them anywhere...

There’s a picture on #legoharrypotter on Instagram :) 

Lovely news! 

I feel that the inclusion of Florean Fortescue means that, though mainly following the films, they do want to reference book story lines as well--looking forward what other surprises there will be.

I agree with those of you that would prefer a higher number of shops rather than fewer larger ones. It would be lovely to have variations with different facade styles and colours that evoke the slightly chaotic and whimsical vibe of the street. 

I was looking at pictures of real life inspirations for DA earlier, Cecil Court in London https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/5087978/cecil-court/ and Victoria Street in Edinburgh https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/394597067640356/victoria-street/ and I think part of their charm is the smallness of these buildings :)

#legoleaks on instagram

1) Search “#legoleaks” on Instagram

2) click recent

3) scroll down

4) find several photos of the same figure which say “@mini_legogo” and #legoharrypotter

13 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

2. If we're getting a minifigure of Florean, I think it's relatively safe to say that we'll be getting his ice cream parlor. I immediately draw two conclusions and one prediction from this: 

I disagree. If someone like Ollivander or a goblin leaks I'd say we can definetely take that as confirmation of a building being included. With someone like Fortescue however it could mean numerous things: his Parlor is included, he gets a small icecart or he's nothing more than a ''recognisable pedestrian''. 

I'm not saying getting his Parlor is impossible but I definetely do not think it's safe to assume we'll get it just based on this figure.