Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

34 minutes ago, Tommy269 said:

This might sound really stupid and I might have missed something, but in Hagrid's hut, year 3 Ron has the same hair piece as the Ron in the 2018 sets. Yet in the year before, CMF Ron had mid legs and scabbers so he must of been in year 3 and had Han solo's hair in orange. Why would they recolour a piece and then never use it again. Why does year 3 Ron change hair piece?

On licensed pieces. The green flu powder flame was used in nijago. The ninjago set was revealed first, but it was clearly for flu powder. This might not count because it is just a recolour and not a new mould. 

The CMF's aren't produced in the same factories as the normal sets (at least not when HP S1 came out). The ginger Han Solo hair for the CMF was therefore a limited run and not available for sets, happens all the time with exclusive recolors and molds for CMF series. 

The recolored green flames are used in every single Ninjago S13 set and only 1 Harry Potter set. It being recolored for 6 sets using Ninjago's budget is much more likely than the same thing happening for 1 set using HP's budget. And even if the recolor stems from HP's budget it's not a licensed piece, it's been around for ages.

7 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Since the hidden side team have used their budget to create the part, it is not so strange that they do not want HP team to steal their thunder. Next year the part is probably fair game to include in other sets :shrug_oh_well:

Ahhh @Roebuck .. thanks .. I never thought of that .. cheers 

3 hours ago, Tommy269 said:

This might sound really stupid and I might have missed something, but in Hagrid's hut, year 3 Ron has the same hair piece as the Ron in the 2018 sets. Yet in the year before, CMF Ron had mid legs and scabbers so he must of been in year 3 and had Han solo's hair in orange. Why would they recolour a piece and then never use it again. Why does year 3 Ron change hair piece?

In addition to @Guyon2002's answer, to me it seems also that the CMF was done by different designers than the minifigures in the sets, because the trio especially use a different "design language" for their faces and look. They're almost like alternate versions of the characters and not meant to seamlessly match up with the versions in the set, the plus side being that one can easily use their parts for different characters (besides Harry's head) without muddling things.

We were all confused by the discrepancies in leg length used as well, but that too seems down to the designers going more for consistency within a wave of sets or CMF than consistency across all of the waves.

On a different note, the three brick-pattern stickers applied to the long rounded SNOT section that goes up the front of the Astronomy Tower have already started peeling on one edge after one day. I applied them pretty straight and in the position that the instructions show, so that's disappointing. Has this happened for anyone else?

4 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

In addition to @Guyon2002's answer, to me it seems also that the CMF was done by different designers than the minifigures in the sets, because the trio especially use a different "design language" for their faces and look. They're almost like alternate versions of the characters and not meant to seamlessly match up with the versions in the set, the plus side being that one can easily use their parts for different characters (besides Harry's head) without muddling things.

Just wondering... is it just me or is the printing on the CMF figures printed at a slightly larger scale? Eyes look bigger and more spread apart from each other and their mouths to me.

7 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

On a different note, the three brick-pattern stickers applied to the long rounded SNOT section that goes up the front of the Astronomy Tower have already started peeling on one edge after one day. I applied them pretty straight and in the position that the instructions show, so that's disappointing. Has this happened for anyone else?

I just checked mine which I applied about a month ago if I'm not mistaken and they haven't started peeling off yet.

4 hours ago, chris6507 said:

Just wondering... is it just me or is the printing on the CMF figures printed at a slightly larger scale? Eyes look bigger and more spread apart from each other and their mouths to me.

The printing is definitely thicker. Look at Hedwig from the sets and then the same part but from the CMF. Her printing is thicker on the CMF version.

Is there still no news on the Diagon Alley set front, I may have missed some in the previous pages but every time I return five more pages have been added :) 

Just now, Ringwraith said:

Is there still no news on the Diagon Alley set front, I may have missed some in the previous pages but every time I return five more pages have been added :) 

Nope, you haven't missed anything. Still no news regarding Diagon Alley.

7 minutes ago, Ringwraith said:

If there's more DA news there's no way there would be just 5 new pages, at least 8 :laugh_hard:

52 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

If there's more DA news there's no way there would be just 5 new pages, at least 8 :laugh_hard:

That sounds low, at least 20 pages over night. :grin:

Edited by Salix

Just now, Salix said:

That sounds low, at least 20 pages over night. :grin:

Depends on the info :shrug_oh_well: Around 8 pages seems about right for something small, something big can go up to 20 :wink:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask in, but are there any like apps to design Mocs or anything like that?

25 minutes ago, Rosie99 said:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask in, but are there any like apps to design Mocs or anything like that?

Bricklink studio 2.0 and bricklink parts designer.

29 minutes ago, Rosie99 said:

Yes, there's LEGO's own LEGO Digital Designer (LDD) as well as Bricklink's Studio. Probably others as well.

1 hour ago, Rosie99 said:

There's a great website for designing. It's called Mecabricks.

2 hours ago, Rosie99 said:

wasnt LDD terminated or something?

Nope, it still exists.

14 minutes ago, Salix said:

Nope, it still exists.

10 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

It just isn’t getting anymore updates

Ah ok thank you

So today I finally got the 2019 Hagrid's Hut set and I noticed that Fudge's legs have the new updated print, without the tabard piece. Interesting that they seem to have updated the sets in the newer batches.

You guys! Yesterday I finally got the 71043 set!

Funny story, I watched the video recently of the designer talking about it. He said the amount of pieces is the same number as his first ever LEGO set.
When I called in to see if the Hogwarts Castle set was in stock, I asked, "Hi, do you have set number 6020?" they replied "which set is that?" and rightfully so! I felt so bad I mixed up the set number and number of pieces.

16 hours ago, TangyGecko said:

So today I finally got the 2019 Hagrid's Hut set and I noticed that Fudge's legs have the new updated print, without the tabard piece. Interesting that they seem to have updated the sets in the newer batches.

Guessing from Amazon on their offer? :tongue: me too. It’s a really cool set with super interesting techniques to build it and tons of interior detail. A bit of a rip off for a £50 set though IMO.

4 hours ago, sammy_zammy said:

Guessing from Amazon on their offer? :tongue: me too. It’s a really cool set with super interesting techniques to build it and tons of interior detail. A bit of a rip off for a £50 set though IMO.

Guess correct.:wink:  And yes, to say I've also built the Newt's suitcase set recently, it does seem a bit less complex. But still, it's a great set!

Just saw a build review by "Brickstory Builds" of the new Star Wars 75288 AT-AT, and Tom Riddle's head from the new visual dictionary is used in that set on one of the pilots. Just thought I'd mention it here, in case anyone wanted that figure mainly for the face, it turns out it's just a new generic single-sided head print. Rather disappointing.