Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Refresh my memory - is the Diagon Alley rumored to be a September or an August release? September, right?

41 minutes ago, Jarreth2 said:

Only a thought but do different theme teams at Lego actually talk to each other at all ?? The ‘apparating’ piece from the Hidden Side set would have been perfect ( and is perfect for the people who have used it already ) to introduce in the Harry Potter line. 

Sometimes some of the choices or lack thereof baffle me *huh*

They're not apparating, the Death Eaters, eh? I don't know why people keep saying that. When someone apparates they dissapear from one place and then reappear in another instantaneously. In the films it looks like swirls of air closing in on itself. You see it several times over the course of the series. Two occasions that come immediately to mind are when Harry and Dumbledor leave for the Horcrux cave in HBP, and when Hermione and he move on after Ron leaves in DH. You see the effect constantly in FB. More appropriate pieces to moc up a character apparating would be the power blast pieces.

That the Death Eaters were able to fly about in the films was extreme cinimatic licence. The fact that Volemort alone was able to fly was a significant matter in the books, demonstrating his mastery of the magical arts. It seems a bit ridiculous that suddenly everyone was able to fly about in the films. :p

I may be alone here, but I'm not a fan of incorporating the piece into HP sets.

14 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

September according to @Falconfan1414

Unless there’s a VIP early access offer mid-August, but for some reason these are not as consistent as they used to be, perhaps due to the human malware :shrug_oh_well:

14 minutes ago, klinton said:

The sets are based on the films, so the (non-) canonicity of that effect doesn’t affect them :wink: I personally really liked the effect in the film (especially in HBP where the Death Eaters destroyed the Millennium Bridge) and would like to see it represented in the sets as well.

7 minutes ago, klinton said:

Whether you agree with the cinematic licence that the films took which enables the death eaters to fly, the sets are based off the films and to me the piece works well to represent the death eaters 'flying' or 'apparating' or whatever. Now I'm not saying that this is faithful to the book, but for the same reason that the films made death eaters fly in swirls of black smoke (for visual and action purposes) incorporating this piece into sets would to me work well to not only represent the movie visually, but also provides children with some more playability. 

That being said, if you don't like the piece then that's fine and even if they did include them in sets you don't have to use them which is the great thing.

6 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Unless there’s a VIP early access offer mid-August, but for some reason these are not as consistent as they used to be, perhaps due to the human malware :shrug_oh_well:

The sets are based on the films, so the (non-) canonicity of that effect doesn’t affect them :wink: I personally really liked the effect in the film (especially in HBP where the Death Eaters destroyed the Millennium Bridge) and would like to see it represented in the sets as well.

Which is fair enough. I wasn't saying people shouldn't use it or anything. I was just expressing an opinion there: that I'm not a fan. I've plowed through the entire series (first the films and then the books) over the past couple of months, so all of the minutæ is fresh in my mind at the moment, hahaha. The films have their merits, the foremost of which is establishing a design language for the characters, vehicles, and places in the HP universe. After having read the books though, I'm really not a fan of them. To each their own though, of course. My main point in that post was simply that the use of the term 'apparate' to describe the effect was incorrect, even allowing for a preference of the films over the books.

I apologize for the overly geeky mincing of words there. It was just a little peeve. :)

12 minutes ago, klinton said:

Which is fair enough. I wasn't saying people shouldn't use it or anything. I was just expressing an opinion there: that I'm not a fan. I've plowed through the entire series (first the films and then the books) over the past couple of months, so all of the minutæ is fresh in my mind at the moment, hahaha. The films have their merits, the foremost of which is establishing a design language for the characters, vehicles, and places in the HP universe. After having read the books though, I'm really not a fan of them. To each their own though, of course. My main point in that post was simply that the use of the term 'apparate' to describe the effect was incorrect, even allowing for a preference of the films over the books.

I apologize for the overly geeky mincing of words there. It was just a little peeve. :)

I think the confusion arises by what's meant by apparate - from the point of view of a bystander, apparate is when someone appears in a place, whereas disapparate is when they leave.

So when Harry and Dumbledore leave for the cave, to us watching they are technically disapparating (although Harry does use the word apparate in the film which is technically wrong when he is referring to leaving Hogwarts grounds instead of travelling into). And yes, when they do this it's more like they are being sucked into the air.

When the Death Eaters first appear at the Burrow though, from our point of view they are appearing out of nowhere having presumably travelled there from another place. So apparating is the right choice at first, even if after that they are technically 'flying' around The Burrow. But it's all semantics really.

At the end of the day, it would be great to get the piece in both black and white so that visually we can represent both the Death Eaters and Order members battling if we want to.

21 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

I think the confusion arises by what's meant by apparate - from the point of view of a bystander, apparate is when someone appears in a place, whereas disapparate is when they leave.

So when Harry and Dumbledore leave for the cave, to us watching they are technically disapparating (although Harry does use the word apparate in the film which is technically wrong when he is referring to leaving Hogwarts grounds instead of travelling into). And yes, when they do this it's more like they are being sucked into the air.

When the Death Eaters first appear at the Burrow though, from our point of view they are appearing out of nowhere having presumably travelled there from another place. So apparating is the right choice at first, even if after that they are technically 'flying' around The Burrow. But it's all semantics really.

At the end of the day, it would be great to get the piece in both black and white so that visually we can represent both the Death Eaters and Order members battling if we want to.

Nope, on both counts. It's a very specific spell, for which the incantation is "Apparate".  It's use and effects clearly described, even in the fims (Ron is injured when the spell is performed in haste while escaping the Ministry). The technicalities of which end of the act they're at don't change the fact that the spell itself is 'Apparate'.

The Death Eaters don't appear out of nowhere. They're seen looming in the skies, flying over to the Burow like ominous comets. The same effect is used for Voldermort when he attacks Harry and Hagrid while they're fleeing fleeing Privet Drive, the moment in the book where they realize that he has achived the ability to fly unaided by a broom or other enchanted object. It's distinctly different from the depiction of apparating. :)

5 minutes ago, klinton said:

Nope, on both counts. It's a very specific spell, for which the incantation is "Apparate".  It's use and effects clearly described, even in the fims (Ron is injured when the spell is performed in haste while escaping the Ministry). The technicalities of which end of the act they're at don't change the fact that the spell itself is 'Apparate'.

The Death Eaters don't appear out of nowhere. They're seen looming in the skies, flying over to the Burow like ominous comets. The same effect is used for Voldermort when he attacks Harry and Hagrid while they're fleeing fleeing Privet Drive, the moment in the book where they realize that he has achived the ability to fly unaided by a broom or other enchanted object. It's distinctly different from the depiction of apparating. :)

Like I said, semantics, but it's a cool piece and it would be a shame to not see it reused for other purposes.

1 hour ago, Salix said:

Only 2 months left. :sceptic:

It feels like 2 years, doesn't it? :sceptic: Really want a reveal!

2 hours ago, Jarreth2 said:

Only a thought but do different theme teams at Lego actually talk to each other at all ?? The ‘apparating’ piece from the Hidden Side set would have been perfect ( and is perfect for the people who have used it already ) to introduce in the Harry Potter line. 

Since the hidden side team have used their budget to create the part, it is not so strange that they do not want HP team to steal their thunder. Next year the part is probably fair game to include in other sets :shrug_oh_well:

6 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

Since the hidden side team have used their budget to create the part, it is not so strange that they do not want HP team to steal their thunder. Next year the part is probably fair game to include in other sets :shrug_oh_well:

Haha I wonder if there is such rivalry amongst the designers? Would be cool to be a fly on the wall and know what goes on wouldn't it!

Edited by BacktoBricks

I think the teams are aware of what the others are doing. One example of a collaboration between teams was the Overwatch Gibraltar set where the designer (Mark Stafford) learned about a new wedge piece that was supposed to be introduced in the Slave I set and used it for his set first :laugh: Another example is the Hogwarts D2C, where the designer (Justin Ramsden) struggled with the rotund shape of the main tower and collaborated with the designers of the Apollo Saturn V Ideas set (Mike Psiaki/Carl Merriam).

Besides, I’m not sure whether the element designers are part of the other teams or form their own team that work with all of them. Some elements they design are very specific to certain themes (Star Wars for instance) while other new elements are used everywhere (e.g. the 1x1 round tile introduced in 2012). Maybe it’s a bit of both? :shrug_oh_well:

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

I think the teams are aware of what the others are doing. One example of a collaboration between teams was the Overwatch Gibraltar set where the designer (Mark Stafford) learned about a new wedge piece that was supposed to be introduced in the Slave I set and used it for his set first :laugh: Another example is the Hogwarts D2C, where the designer (Justin Ramsden) struggled with the rotund shape of the main tower and collaborated with the designers of the Apollo Saturn V Ideas set (Mike Psiaki/Carl Merriam).

That's interesting. Good memory! I'm picturing a weekly meeting around a table where they discuss what they're doing, any problems, new pieces etc and all try and help out. That feels very 'Lego' to me, all helping each other. ?

3 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

I do wonder how designers keep up to date with all the new pieces. I asked a few days ago if anybody had used the new black hood piece off the Knight of Ren Ap'lek on a dementor because that piece looks perfect for dementors to me. I know Lego probably won't want to update their dementors now, but that to me is another example of a piece introduced in one theme that seems perfect for another line. Maybe we will see that 'apparating' piece in HP in the future, but I'm really tempted to just order a couple of B+P right now. Wish I could order the black hoods too, but unfortunately they aren't available to order.

It might also be that the part has been approved by Lucasfilm / Disney for SW and that there is an agreement that it is a licensed part, and cannot be used in other themes (licensed or not) either temporarily or indefinitely. For example, if SW fans can get hold of licensed parts cheaper in other licensed or in-house sets, there is less reason to buy SW.

1 hour ago, BacktoBricks said:

It feels like 2 years, doesn't it? :sceptic: Really want a reveal!

Yup. :sceptic:

1 minute ago, MAB said:

It might also be that the part has been approved by Lucasfilm / Disney for SW and that there is an agreement that it is a licensed part, and cannot be used in other themes (licensed or not) either temporarily or indefinitely. For example, if SW fans can get hold of licensed parts cheaper in other licensed or in-house sets, there is less reason to buy SW.

That is true. Just wish it was more widely available. I can't afford to buy several Ap'lek's to get more hoods lol

3 minutes ago, Salix said:

Yup. :sceptic:

Do you think Lego knows what it's doing to us? ? I wonder if they ever come on these forums and see how desperate we are lol

6 hours ago, Jarreth2 said:

We know the minifigure departments didn't reference each other at least one time with the Fallen Kingdom and Infinity War waves. FK introduced the current Owen Grady head, which just screams 'CHRIS PRATT' but the Infinity War sets just used the old and less accurate 2015 head for some reason :shrug_oh_well:

2 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

Do you think Lego knows what it's doing to us? ? I wonder if they ever come on these forums and see how desperate we are lol

Wouldn't surprise me if they don't, we're not supposed to know about this stuff yet after all :tongue:

19 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if they don't, we're not supposed to know about this stuff yet after all :tongue:

They must know we know lol. It's a who cracks first situation I think. Hint: I think it's us. ?

Do we have any guesses to who is the lead designer for DA D2C? Been watching the old Hogwarts videos and seeing how Justin Ramsden and Crystal Fontan talk about the project is inspiring. Can't wait to see all the passion that's gone into DA.

4 hours ago, MAB said:

I think there’s a high chance of that being the case. 
That could also be an explanation for why the ‘smokey trail’ piece that a minifigure can stand in was introduced in Hidden Side instead of Harry Potter. If that piece had first been used in Harry Potter then it would have been established as specifically being for that weird Smokey flying thing (I agree it’s not apparating) that the Death Eaters do in the movies, and there’s a good chance it would have been licensed and only usable in the Harry Potter theme. By using it for their own in house theme first Lego have firmly established it as a piece they can use anywhere they want - be that more Hidden Side sets, Harry Potter, Marvel (I can definitely see recolors being used for characters like Sandman or Mysterio in future Spider-man sets), DC Superheroes (Ted Tornado comes to mind), or whatever takes their fancy. 

33 minutes ago, Modal said:

Do we have any guesses to who is the lead designer for DA D2C? Been watching the old Hogwarts videos and seeing how Justin Ramsden and Crystal Fontan talk about the project is inspiring. Can't wait to see all the passion that's gone into DA.

We know basically nothing about the set itself and there are dozens of designers they could've assigned this project to, as long as we haven't seen it guessing is pointless

26 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

If that piece had first been used in Harry Potter then it would have been established as specifically being for that weird Smokey flying thing (I agree it’s not apparating) that the Death Eaters do in the movies, and there’s a good chance it would have been licensed and only usable in the Harry Potter theme. 

I don't think that would've made a difference, there are quite a few molds that were introduced to represent a specific thing in a licensed theme that were later reused in other themes. Uruk Hai sword, Mysterio's helmet, Caps shield, Mjolnir etc

Edited by Guyon2002

Yeah, I’ve never understood the theory that a new mold being introduced in a licensed theme can’t be used anywhere else. Obviously many of them are very specific to the theme like hairpieces or helmets, but even the HP wands have been used in sets like the Treehouse, Corner Garage, and some Marvel sets. I don’t think introducing a piece in a licensed theme means it can’t be used anywhere else. 

I don't think it means that it can't, but isn't there often a few months between a new licensed mould appearing and then it being in another license or unlicensed set? Correct me if I'm wrong because I can't go over to Brickset and trawl through to see, I'm just going on memory.

This might sound really stupid and I might have missed something, but in Hagrid's hut, year 3 Ron has the same hair piece as the Ron in the 2018 sets. Yet in the year before, CMF Ron had mid legs and scabbers so he must of been in year 3 and had Han solo's hair in orange. Why would they recolour a piece and then never use it again. Why does year 3 Ron change hair piece?

On licensed pieces. The green flu powder flame was used in nijago. The ninjago set was revealed first, but it was clearly for flu powder. This might not count because it is just a recolour and not a new mould. 

Edited by Tommy269