Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

13 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

@Salix: Don’t get me wrong, I like Quidditch sets as much as the next guy, but it’d be a waste of set slots if they spread it out like that. I doubt that even the most hardcore fans would spend much money on that if you can easily get all the essentials in one set :laugh:

Btw, since we’re getting closer every day, what do you think the order of the official reveals will be for our three remaining products this year? Officially, they’re all released in September, but it wouldn’t make such sense to reveal them all at once since it’s not really a wave of sets in the strictest sense. Moreover, D2C sets and CMF series are usually promoted by individual high-profile announcements, so I would expect TLG to spread them out a bit. My guess would be: 

- Advent Calendar: this or next week

- CMF series: in two weeks

- D2C: in three weeks

I think we’ll see the advent calendar first since the Star Wars one has already been revealed, and I’m expecting the CMF and D2C reveals to be very close together. I’m not expecting the D2C reveal before July 25th. 

22 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

@Salix: Don’t get me wrong, I like Quidditch sets as much as the next guy, but it’d be a waste of set slots if they spread it out like that. I doubt that even the most hardcore fans would spend much money on that if you can easily get all the essentials in one set :laugh:

Btw, since we’re getting closer every day, what do you think the order of the official reveals will be for our three remaining products this year? Officially, they’re all released in September, but it wouldn’t make such sense to reveal them all at once since it’s not really a wave of sets in the strictest sense. Moreover, D2C sets and CMF series are usually promoted by individual high-profile announcements, so I would expect TLG to spread them out a bit. My guess would be: 

True true, all that talk about quidditch players accessory packs just made me wonder. :P

As for order of reveals, based on the release dates according to brickshop.nl, I assume we'll get the CMF first and then the AC as the CMF is listed as being released on 7 August and the AC is listed as being released on 4 September. As for D2C, that one is probably announced last.

Just now, HalfBloodPrince said:

we’ll probably be on page 500 before getting the D2C a d CMF pictures lol

We’re 80% there already :tongue:

10 minutes ago, Salix said:

As for order of reveals, based on the release dates according to brickshop.nl [...]

That’s why I said “officially” :wink: Brickshop is reliable, but it is weird to me that they’re the only ones with an August release date. I couldn’t find a single source backing it up; the initial rumours, Stonewars, the consumer catalogue and every other shop I could find all say September. I hope they’re right, but I’m not holding my breath. Shouldn’t the reveal aready have occurred if they were right though? :sceptic:

22 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

That’s why I said “officially” :wink: Brickshop is reliable, but it is weird to me that they’re the only ones with an August release date. I couldn’t find a single source backing it up; the initial rumours, Stonewars, the consumer catalogue and every other shop I could find all say September. I hope they’re right, but I’m not holding my breath. Shouldn’t the reveal aready have occurred if they were right though? :sceptic:

Not necessarily, perhaps brickshop is releasing it earlier than LEGO for some reason. Perhaps, all 3 (AC, CMF, and D2C) will be revealed together on 25 July. :sceptic:

Or perhaps it'll just be the AC and CMF, and the D2C after those two on 25 July.

2 hours ago, Salix said:

Or perhaps they could make a full quidditch pitch set with everything listed above included.

I would be absolutely mad about a Quidditch D2C that includes a whole pitch with the green, the goals, towers etc and of course the four houses' uniforms ?

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

My guess would be: 

Nothing to add here. I assume it to be exactly this way.

42 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Brickshop is reliable, but it is weird to me that they’re the only ones with an August release date.

IMO, it also makes no sense that retailers should sell the figures before Lego itself with their brand stores and the online shop. Did something like this ever happen? ?

The new sets look excellent! I'm so excited for the reveal of the Diagon Alley because I've been working on a MOC of it this past winter. I started by renovating set 10217 and expanded it to include a whole alleyway worth of buildings. Weasley's Wizard Wheezes was still unfinished when I found out the D2C is coming so I paused that in anticipation of repurposing the pieces that come in the set. I'm really looking forward to the sticker sheet because I haven't done custom signage yet. I hope they include some cool merch to go inside the shops. 

Diagon Alley street view on instagram

4 hours ago, Modal said:

Dying to see Diagon Alley :pir-bawling:

Honestly, right now I’d be happy for anything new. Seriously Lego, what's taking so long with the other three advent calendars?

Hi guys so I recently had a go at making one of my Hogwarts castle set concepts full size (in LDD):

LEGO Harry Potter: The Lookout Tower

This is my version of the ‘Lookout Tower’ and it is based on the Order of the Phoenix movie, including exclusive versions of Umbridge, Trelawney Mcgonagall and the two twins! as shown it is less than 500 parts!

It attaches perfectly to the existing great hall set as shown on this floor plan I did for the Quad (hall is bottom left corner):

Lego Hogwarts: The Quad Floorplan Concept

This is the original mini concept: 

What do you guys think? The only thing it is missing is a dynamic play feature, so maybe there should be a side build for some exploding fireworks?

2 hours ago, Bugbot20082 said:

Hi guys so I recently had a go at making one of my Hogwarts castle set concepts full size (in LDD):

This is my version of the ‘Lookout Tower’ and it is based on the Order of the Phoenix movie, including exclusive versions of Umbridge, Trelawney Mcgonagall and the two twins! as shown it is less than 500 parts!

It attaches perfectly to the existing great hall set as shown on this floor plan I did for the Quad (hall is bottom left corner):

This is the original mini concept: 

What do you guys think? The only thing it is missing is a dynamic play feature, so maybe there should be a side build for some exploding fireworks?

Very nice @Bugbot20082

I've actually almost completed a remarkably similar MOC of the same part of the castle including divination class and trophy cabinet (from 4842 Hogwarts Castle).  I've cheated though by adapting the the section of the UCS Hogwarts.

Also struggled to think of a play feature, I loosely based the ground floor on the third floor of Hogwarts with Trophy room and Armoury and wanted to include a feature using the one-eyed witch from the old "Harry and the Marauders Map" set but couldn't incorporate it into the given space.  So I've got a knight statue that spins to reveal a jewel in homage to the original 4709 Hogwarts instead!

22 hours ago, Alyverse said:

Diagon Alley street view on instagram

That looks very neat! 

11 hours ago, Bugbot20082 said:

You even gave Dolores her Shawl :wub: That looks so good, I’m a huge fan of these custom add-ons!! It has a sort of different magic to it than when you customize the current sets. I love both ways though.

Someone had also created the myrtle’s bathroom add-on and that was great as well :wub_drool:

Now that I have a couple of these in hand, I've got to say I find the very obviously rendered box art quite off-putting. I don't know if the previous waves used actual photos or digitally created ones on the boxes, but they looked a lot more photo-real and so much better. The box-art for this wave looks kind of like a knock off.

It's a minor gripe I know, since what matters is what's inside the box and these sets are great, but it's just odd.

6 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Now that I have a couple of these in hand, I've got to say I find the very obviously rendered box art quite off-putting. I don't know if the previous waves used actual photos or digitally created ones on the boxes, but they looked a lot more photo-real and so much better. The box-art for this wave looks kind of like a knock off.

It's a minor gripe I know, since what matters is what's inside the box and these sets are great, but it's just odd.

I know exactly what you mean. The older boxes with the real pictures looked so much better.

50 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Is that maybe something that could be attributed to the human malware? Actual photos would require probably multiple people being in a studio. While a digital rendering can be done by someone sitting alone at their home computer. I’m not sure how far ahead of time the box art is finalized, but COVID-19 was becoming a problem all the way back in December-January if I recall, and generally the sets themselves aren’t finalized by the toy fairs in January-February, so I imagine it’s possible that could have affected it. 

Has anyone picked up the new Harry potter Magical Treasure book? Was looking to get it in Australia but it seems like it's not released here till end September. Bummer. 

25 minutes ago, Micmac said:

Has anyone picked up the new Harry potter Magical Treasure book? Was looking to get it in Australia but it seems like it's not released here till end September. Bummer. 

I grabbed it this morning. It's pretty typical for those books, with photos of the various sets and minifigs accompanied by little random blurbs about them. It's odd, but the Astronomy Tower isn't featured. The Burrow is, and all of the minifigs from the tower are featured, but not the set itself. I only noticed because that is the set I'm most excited for from the new wave, so I was looking for it. It's pictured only once, in the designer interviews section, with a photo showing all of the catle sets connected.

The 'Character Gallery' is really the only functionally useful portion of the book, imho. I still forget whom some of the random students are on occasion, so it's a handy reference. It doesn't include the characters from the accessory pack, oddly enough. Everyone else, up to those included in the 2020 summer sets, is present.

The Riddle minifig is quite nice. He only has one face though, but it's an appropriate sneer. He's got a unique Slytherin uniform, wth an unbuttoned vest under his robes. He only comes with a wand (black, for some reason... matching neither Voldemort's white one, nor Harry's brown one that he wielded in the scene in the film). It could have been fun if they'd included the diary that came with Dobby.

39 minutes ago, klinton said:

It could have been fun if they'd included the diary that came with Dobby.

People already weren't that pleased with Privet Drive's Dobby being almost the exact same figure as the CMF so keeping his accessory exclusive was definetely a good decision imo.

22 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

People already weren't that pleased with Privet Drive's Dobby being almost the exact same figure as the CMF so keeping his accessory exclusive was definetely a good decision imo.

Really? I freaking love that little guy, so more versions of him are always welcome. I like that the one in Privet Drive has a playful expression. Somber Dobby is adorable, but a happy Dobby is better (I only wish that he'd appeared on screen in his Christmas jumper and tea cosy hat, so that we might look forward to a minifig!). I think it'd be a complete travesty to limit him entirely to the CMF line. I'm sure there are kids out there that want him who didn't get him at the time. Even if they reissued the diary, they could keep the sock tile exclusive. Or exclude the scar print on the cover. I suppose it's neither here nor there though, as they didn't include it. Hahaha.

What an odd thing to complain about though. It supposed it takes all kinds. /shrug.

11 hours ago, Otherworld said:

That looks very neat! 

You even gave Dolores her Shawl :wub: That looks so good, I’m a huge fan of these custom add-ons!! It has a sort of different magic to it than when you customize the current sets. I love both ways though.

Someone had also created the myrtle’s bathroom add-on and that was great as well :wub_drool:

Thanks for the nice feedback :)

2 hours ago, Micmac said:

I did. I’ve only made my way through part of the book, but it’s the usual fare. Of course the minifig is amazing, such a great print.

I did find it odd that they labeled CMF Harry with Hedwig as Year 4, while Ron is labeled as Year 3. I suppose they could be either or both though. Year 1 & 2 Harry has short legs.

Edited by Vindicare

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

There’s not really much they could’ve done to differentiate him from his CMF counterpart, apart from the face print and the accessory, which they did :shrug_oh_well: I get that some people might be annoyed, but the CMFs are only available for a short amount of time, so it makes sense to release other versions of the characters in regular sets too for the people who missed out on them, even if they’re this similar.

Btw, this is the 9999th post in this thread, so the next one will be quite the milestone  :laugh:

17 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Btw, this is the 9999th post in this thread, so the next one will be quite the milestone  :laugh:

How many other threads on this forum could claim to get 10000 post and 400 pages long with so few sets a year and not all of them even revealed yet? Admittedly, the current health crisis has probably left us all with more time on our hands to check in, but still...

Of course, some of those numbers are just trolls and meaningless puns - it’s otterly ridiculous. 

28 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

How many other threads on this forum could claim to get 10000 post and 400 pages long with so few sets a year and not all of them even revealed yet? Admittedly, the current health crisis has probably left us all with more time on our hands to check in, but still...

Of course, some of those numbers are just trolls and meaningless puns - it’s otterly ridiculous. 

It’s definitely impressive, but as you say, a good chunk of it is quarantine-fueled speculation thanks to people that better go unnamed :tongue: Plus the pages filled with puns, sure

Btw, congrats for the 10000th post :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

It’s definitely impressive, but as you say, a good chunk of it is quarantine-fueled speculation thanks to people that better go unnamed :tongue: 

Speaking of those who should not be named, I think legofan_33 may have just joined that list. The book was released yesterday, but 71028 has still not been revealed like their 'source' said. That being said, I don't feel like they were trying to be malicious, just had an unreliable source. 

I'm so excited to see the rest of the CMF, although some of the excitement that comes with blind bags is going to be lost for me this time around as I won't be able to go to the shops and hunt for who I want (the exhilaration of finding a rare figure amongst a load of little bags is not to be sniffed at ?). Not quite sure what I'm going to do actually, because I hate the idea of just buying a set off the web, but can't afford to buy a load and just get duplicates. ?