Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

2 hours ago, sebastian666 said:

I don’t want to set myself up for disappointment, but I have a feeling we are hours away from seeing some leaks related to the D2C Diagon Alley set... 

The page on Harry mentions Eeylop’s Owl Emporium by name. Hmm...

Stoppp don't get me excited! 

18 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

That's something we've been saying for quite some time here, it's more an educated guess than actual news. If DA releases on Sep 1 it'll have a VIP release in august and a press release in July, exactly the same as with the Hogwarts D2C

The only problem with a VIP early release is that there won't be any stock left for the September release, because why would anyone NOT want to be a VIP?  There's no obligation to do anything other than give information which you would have to give anyway in order to purchase the set.  In my opinion VIP early releases are kind of silly, because they're almost the same as general releases (which makes me shudder to think of a paid LEGO VIP system sometime in the future :sceptic:)

2 hours ago, sebastian666 said:

I don’t want to set myself up for disappointment, but I have a feeling we are hours away from seeing some leaks related to the D2C Diagon Alley set...

I'd guess we'll see the CMF before ?

5 minutes ago, aimo said:

I think the recent gold nugget piece from City would be the best. It’s a little big but I think it would work really well

53 minutes ago, TheLegoDr said:

The red infinity stone would be good. Although likely IP locked.

That's not the only problem. That part cannot directly be held by a minifig and it's too smooth, just like the classic 24-facetted jewel :purrr: I agree with @Balrogofmorgoth, the gold nugget piece would be perfect.

35646.png PhilosophersStone_WB_F1_PhilosophersSton

It's already been established that the Philosopher's Stone is a red 'diamond' piece though. The reflection in the Mirror of Erised where Quirrel sees himself holding it clearly depicts that piece.

49 minutes ago, klinton said:

It's already been established that the Philosopher's Stone is a red 'diamond' piece though. The reflection in the Mirror of Erised where Quirrel sees himself holding it clearly depicts that piece.

Doesn’t mean they can’t update it. They already updated the entire Ford Anglia, they can update a tiny piece that has only existed on a sticker 

45 minutes ago, deskp said:

the gold nugget is sooo large.

True but Lego proportions are never really accurate. It’s nearly the perfect shape at least

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

50 minutes ago, klinton said:

Just now, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Doesn’t mean they can’t update it. They already updated the entire Ford Anglia, they can update a tiny piece that has only existed on a sticker

*cough* Sirius Black in Platform 9 3/4 vs Expecto Patronum set *cough*

Edited by TheRandomBlocker

2 hours ago, TheRandomBlocker said:

I mean, at least with that you have the excuse that his hair might have grown out since his photo was taken. 

Just now, Accio Lego said:

I mean, at least with that you have the excuse that his hair might have grown out since his photo was taken. 

Nah, the Luke hairpiece is just pure wrong for Black, the Moody hairpiece would’ve been so much better, and in the film (which the sets are based off) Sirius looks exactly the same in his mugshot as he does at Hogwarts so I think it was a bad choice on Lego’s part, if that piece ever comes in the right colour I’ll immediately swap it out

2 hours ago, TheRandomBlocker said:

Or the Han Solo carbonite piece in Cloud City :laugh:

8 minutes ago, Brick Guru said:

Or the Han Solo carbonite piece in Cloud City :laugh:

Speaking of cloud city, that set is £300, £50 cheaper than we expect DA to be and comes with 21 minifigures including 2 Droids (R2D2 and IG88), 3 iterations of Han (including the carbonite Han as that is included on Brickset) and 2 iterations of Leia

As someone who has never been interested in Lego Star Wars (this is the first time looking at the CC set) I know nothing of comparisons between themes, do you guys think that is something to go by in terms of how many figures to expect in DA? I mean 21 HP figures would be amazing but I don’t want to get my hopes up ??

this also makes me think that multiple iterations of characters are possibly for example;

CoS Harry, Ron and Hermione with Lockhart

HBP Harry, Ron and Hermione with Fred and George ?

50 minutes ago, TheRandomBlocker said:

Speaking of cloud city, that set is £300, £50 cheaper than we expect DA to be and comes with 21 minifigures including 2 Droids (R2D2 and IG88), 3 iterations of Han (including the carbonite Han as that is included on Brickset) and 2 iterations of Leia

As someone who has never been interested in Lego Star Wars (this is the first time looking at the CC set) I know nothing of comparisons between themes, do you guys think that is something to go by in terms of how many figures to expect in DA? I mean 21 HP figures would be amazing but I don’t want to get my hopes up ??

this also makes me think that multiple iterations of characters are possibly for example;

CoS Harry, Ron and Hermione with Lockhart

HBP Harry, Ron and Hermione with Fred and George ?

I'm fully expecting a Death Star-worthy complement of figures:

Philosopher's Stone (I refuse to call it by the ridiculous American re-title):

Harry Potter
Rubeus Hagrid (no new figure needed, but a dark brown overcoat would be nice)
Professor Quirrell (no new figure needed)
Mr. Ollivander (no new figure needed)
Tom the Innkeeper
Two Gringotts Goblins

Chamber of Secrets:

Harry Potter
Ron Weasley 
Hermione Granger
Molly Weasley 
Arthur Weasley
Percy Weasley 
Fred Weasley
George Weasley
Ginny Weasley
Gilderoy Lockhart
Lucius Malfoy
Draco Malfoy
Mr. Borgin

Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter
Ron Weasley
Hermione Granger
Fred Weasley
George Weasley
Ginny Weasley
Cormac McLaggen
Lavender Brown
Fenrir Greyback (no new figure needed)
Bellatrix Lestrange (no new figure needed, but dress printing would be nice)
Narcissa Malfoy

That's 30 minifigures, unless I counted wrong, and even though I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment (and maybe making it a pain to view that list on mobile devices) I'd be surprised if we don't get at least most of those.  Compare to the 21 minifigures in Cloud City, as mentioned by @TheRandomBlocker and 27 (give or take a few droids) in the 2016 Death Star.  But keep in mind that we've gotten far better value in HP thus far than Star Wars has ever given us.

Edited by RogueTwo

19 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

Harry Potter
Tom the Innkeeper
Two Gringotts Goblins

Chamber of Secrets:

Harry Potter
Ron Weasley 
Hermione Granger
Molly Weasley 
Arthur Weasley
Percy Weasley 
Fred Weasley
George Weasley
Ginny Weasley
Gilderoy Lockhart
Lucius Malfoy
Draco Malfoy
Mr. Borgin

Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter
Ron Weasley
Hermione Granger
Fred Weasley
George Weasley
Ginny Weasley
Cormac McLaggen
Lavender Brown
Narcissa Malfoy

That's 30 minifigures, unless I counted wrong, which is quite possible, and even though I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment (and maybe making it a pain to view that list on mobile devices) I'd be surprised if we don't get at least most of those.  Compare to the 21 minifigures in Cloud City, as mentioned by @TheRandomBlocker and 27 (give or take a few droids) in the 2016 Death Star.  But keep in mind that we've gotten far better value in HP thus far than Star Wars has ever given us.

I literally just swooned... this is almost exactly my dream line up of minifigs for the D2C Diagon Allley set. I do think there needs to be some more racial diversity in the mix, though. Dean Thomas, Lee Jordan, Angelina Johnson, and Cho Chang are all figures that could be represented in this set. I would also like to see some randos like Daedalus Diggle and Doris Crawford.

29 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

I’m 100% down with everything except 1 thing, I’d rather not get 3 iteration of the trio ??, purely on a selfish note that I have so many of those 3 already that I don’t want more ??

I do not think the DA will have more than one Harry etc. What is the point, nobody wants that :wacko: It is more likely it will have several odd unique characters, e.g. like random persons seen in the movies, Hermione's parents, odd shop owners.. Huge sets with a lot of minifigs is the best place to include figs that we never would get anywhere else, Harry we get everywhere :wink:

Something to remember about Cloud City and the Death Star is that they both have higher than normal price per part ratios and at least in my opinion are not worth their prices, like many other Star Wars sets. I’d prefer a Diagon Alley with 4000 pieces and as many buildings as possible and 10-14 minifigures over one with 3000 pieces and 24 minifigures. I think the build shouldn’t be compromised for figures and while I’d obviously like to get a ton of minifigures, I’ll definitely be happy with the most important ones (trio, Weasleys, shop owners, maybe a couple Death Eaters) and some random characters to populate the alley. I’m expecting 14-15 minifigures as the absolute maximum, also because D2C sets with 15+ figures are all from Star Wars, aren’t they? 

41 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

I do not think the DA will have more than one Harry etc. What is the point, nobody wants that :wacko: It is more likely it will have several odd unique characters, e.g. like random persons seen in the movies, Hermione's parents, odd shop owners.. Huge sets with a lot of minifigs is the best place to include figs that we never would get anywhere else, Harry we get everywhere :wink:

I think multiple versions of Harry are pretty much inevitable if we get Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes like we want. After all, Ollivander’s is basically guaranteed, and with the current theme’s use of different sized legs depending on the age of the characters it’s impossible to recreate both first year and sixth year scenes with the same minifigure. 
Sure, us collectors don’t really need more Harrys, but at the same time if someone drops $400 on a set that comes with, say, Ollivander, Lockhart, the Weasley Twins, and only HBP Harry, they’re going to be pretty steamed when they find out they’ve got to separately buy a short legged version of Harry to properly recreate the SS/PS and CoS scenes. It’s a balance, so I’m expecting two versions on the main trio, but not anybody else (except maybe Ginny and Draco). 

Edited by Accio Lego

3 hours ago, sebastian666 said:

I literally just swooned... this is almost exactly my dream line up of minifigs for the D2C Diagon Allley set. I do think there needs to be some more racial diversity in the mix, though. Dean Thomas, Lee Jordan, Angelina Johnson, and Cho Chang are all figures that could be represented in this set. I would also like to see some randos like Daedalus Diggle and Doris Crawford.

I would like to see more racial diversity as well, but let’s face it, JK Rowling is not great at writing characters that don’t look like her, and I don’t think any of the characters you mentioned appeared in Diagon Alley in the movies, anyway.  Don’t get me wrong, I would LOVE to get Angelina Johnson and Lee Jordan with Quality Quidditch Supplies, but I predict we’ll be getting a very white lineup of figures.  :sceptic:

I actually think Doris Crockford and Dedalus Diggle are very possible (maybe at the expense of some other figs).  I mean, we got the Trolley Witch in the very first wave, so literally anything is possible.  

3 hours ago, RogueTwo said:

Harry Potter
Tom the Innkeeper
Two Gringotts Goblins

Chamber of Secrets:

Harry Potter
Ron Weasley 
Hermione Granger
Molly Weasley 
Arthur Weasley
Percy Weasley 
Fred Weasley
George Weasley
Ginny Weasley
Gilderoy Lockhart
Lucius Malfoy
Draco Malfoy
Mr. Borgin

Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter
Ron Weasley
Hermione Granger
Fred Weasley
George Weasley
Ginny Weasley
Cormac McLaggen
Lavender Brown
Narcissa Malfoy

That's 30 minifigures, unless I counted wrong, and even though I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment (and maybe making it a pain to view that list on mobile devices) I'd be surprised if we don't get at least most of those.  Compare to the 21 minifigures in Cloud City, as mentioned by @TheRandomBlocker and 27 (give or take a few droids) in the 2016 Death Star.  But keep in mind that we've gotten far better value in HP thus far than Star Wars has ever given us.

I feel with your comparisons between Diagon Alley, the Death Star, and Cloud City, there are a few key points you failed to take into account: 

1. The majority of minifigures in those sets are reused from other sets, with only a small handful of new designs. Therefore, if LEGO bloats DA's figure count in the same way, we'll end up with a load of figures we already have rather than a load of new characters and variants as you're proposing.

2. Those SW sets exist as large-scale playsets for children, while DA will be more of a display set for collectors. Therefore, LEGO will likely feel more comfortable with giving DA a smaller figure selection than those sets.

3. SPACE. (The surface area kind, not the kind more typically associated with Star Wars.) The Death Star features massive amounts of empty floorspace, to the point where even the 25 figures aren't enough to even come close to filling it. DA is going to be comprised of several buildings, which, while large, will still not have nearly as much figure space as the Death Star or Cloud City. LEGO isn't going to include more figures for any specific building than can comfortably fit.

Going off of this, I think any more than 15 figures in DA would be a nice surprise, and I think 20 is quite high. 30 is ludicrous.

This being said, your proposed list (and I mean this in the nicest way possible) is a bit ridiculous. Firstly, they aren't going to include different versions of Harry for PS/SS and CoS, they'll do one or the other.

Speaking of multiple variants, there's no way they'd do two versions of Fred and George. Even Ginny and Draco are somewhat crapshoot based on what shops and scenes are prioritized, but they aren't going to splurge on multiple brand new variants for new characters. Going back to the SW sets, you'll notice that our heroes got only one new variant (if that), and the rest are reused from other sets. It's essentially just an easy way to reuse more preexisting figures to up the figure count. If we're lucky, we'll get a new variant for each member of the Golden Trio, but even that seems a bit unlikely in Harry's case (and this is presuming they're even including multiple trio variants. After all, our only source for this idea was Kingnono, so I don't really know how believable this is.)

There's no way they'd include Molly, Arthur, Bellatrix, Greyback, and HBP Harry, Ron, and Ginny all in one set, that'd completely devalue the Burrow.

Your selection seems to rely on the inclusion of both TLC and B&B, two buildings that are only semi-likely to appear in the set, and it's highly doubtful we'd get both.

If they include more generic characters, I doubt they'd include boring main characters like Lavender and Cormac. Firstly, they both have extremely minor appearances in the WWW scene, not really worthy of a figure spot. Secondly, if Lavender was going to appear in a high-profile D2C, they'd have tried a bit harder to make her figure look not bad (same goes for Bellatrix). Thirdly, I think they'd rather include more interesting characters we wouldn't get elsewhere like Dedalus Diggle and Doris Crockford, and I think most consumers would rather get them over blander students. The only way I could see them including Cormac is with a potential QQS, but other characters like Angelina Johnson and Katie Bell are more popular and relevant.

I will be surprised if we got more than 12-15 figures. Don't think there is any chance there will be random people from the street either, it is not really something LEGO does afaik (apart from some random firefighter in a few superheroes sets). Multiple versions of key characters is unlikely too IMO, since the figure count will already be high just by adding the usual suspects. 

I would love to be surprised with more figs tho...

1 hour ago, Accio Lego said:

I think multiple versions of Harry are pretty much inevitable if we get Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes like we want. After all, Ollivander’s is basically guaranteed, and with the current theme’s use of different sized legs depending on the age of the characters it’s impossible to recreate both first year and sixth year scenes with the same minifigure. 
Sure, us collectors don’t really need more Harrys, but at the same time if someone drops $400 on a set that comes with, say, Ollivander, Lockhart, the Weasley Twins, and only HBP Harry, they’re going to be pretty steamed when they find out they’ve got to separately buy a short legged version of Harry to properly recreate the SS/PS and CoS scenes. It’s a balance, so I’m expecting two versions on the main trio, but not anybody else (except maybe Ginny and Draco). 

I do not agree :wink:
I think the random buyer do not care if Harry has short legs and Fred and George is included with WWW, after all the first D2C DA came with Ollivanders and F/G :shrug_oh_well: I see no reason why they can not include different figs from different years in a huge set like that without adding Harry for every year to go with them. My guess/hope is that it is one Harry with short legs to recreate the first time he came to DA since that is the most iconic moment when he got to see the wizarding world for the first time. When he is there later he is just basically running around shopping, it is fun, but not nearly as magical as the first time.. I think we will get most figs from year 1 and 2 and some "spice" like F/G from later years. It is of course possible that we only get 5 unique figs and 5 figs in several different ages on the other hand we still might end up with 4 figs standing in front of a micro-scale DA like last time :tongue: