Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

8 hours ago, Tommy9 said:

I feel like people are a bit harsh on the beauxbatons carriage. I got the set over the Christmas break and I loved it. All four figs are exclusive and great, the carriage looks great and is really fun to play with. It opens up really nicely and the interior is simplistic, but complete and has lots of play room. I wasn’t on the forum  last year, but I like it when Lego does sets that didn’t appear in the original waves of sets so I thought it was creative not just to go back to the Ship or merpeople. Apart from it being $10 to expensive and coming after a carriage the year before, I was wondering why so many people seem to dislike it so much.

It was actually the carriage set that got me into Harry Potter, oddly enough. I've more or less ignored the entire phenomenon all of these years. I'd enjoyed the FB films, but I'd never really paid much attention to the main HP stories.

I ducked into the toy aisles looking for interesting sets to build while on a grocery run back in April, and it was one of the sets that ended up in my cart. Then I got curious as to what it was meant to be representing, so I started watching the films. Then I snagged the rest of the first two waves (well, still waiting on a backorder for the train). Then I went ahead ordered the books (I'm currently 1/3 through 'Goblet of Fire'). I've even acquired a replica of the Marauders Map along the way. It's been a very Potter quarantine for me, hahaha.

All because the Beauxbaton Carriage caught my eye. :)

13 minutes ago, klinton said:

It was actually the carriage set that got me into Harry Potter, oddly enough. I've more or less ignored the entire phenomenon all of these years. I'd enjoyed the FB films, but I'd never really paid much attention to the main HP stories.

I ducked into the toy aisles looking for interesting sets to build while on a grocery run back in April, and it was one of the sets that ended up in my cart. Then I got curious as to what it was meant to be representing, so I started watching the films. Then I snagged the rest of the first two waves (well, still waiting on a backorder for the train). Then I went ahead ordered the books (I'm currently 1/3 through 'Goblet of Fire'). I've even acquired a replica of the Marauders Map along the way. It's been a very Potter quarantine for me, hahaha.

Love this story. And welcome to the wonderful Wizarding World!

When I was really little, it was a toy bantha (the big wooly yak-like beasts that the Tusken Raiders ride) that caught my eye and carried me into a fullblown obsession with Star Wars.

Later it was the first LEGO Adventurers set with Johnny Thunder that launched a lifelong fascination with Ancient Egypt. 

The power of toys - especially LEGO - to open imaginations and introduce new worlds is incredible.

I can only imagine how many kids are going to walk past LEGO stores in a few months and see the D2C Diagon Alley set in the window and have similar experiences!

7 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

I can only imagine how many kids are going to walk past LEGO stores in a few months and see the D2C Diagon Alley set in the window and have similar experiences!

This just makes me think of the scene in Philosopher's Stone where the kids are marvelling at the Nimbus 2000 through the window of Quality Quidditch Supplies. Now that's the original 'broom boy'. ?

What a great story @klinton ?

Hey! just like others i recently ordered from zavvi  I ordered from zavvi US does that make any difference? Or should I cancel my order and order from Zavvi UK? or is it all one in the same? Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Marvelfan357 said:

Hey! just like others i recently ordered from zavvi  I ordered from zavvi US does that make any difference? Or should I cancel my order and order from Zavvi UK? or is it all one in the same? Thank you!

I don’t know the exact difference between the two URLs, but you’re fine.  I certainly wouldn’t cancel your order.  My Privet Drive set from Zavvi US shipped yesterday, and it’s already gone from London to Germany, getting ready to be DHL-ed over to the States, supposedly arriving by Wednesday!!

Edited by RogueTwo

1 hour ago, sebastian666 said:

Later it was the first LEGO Adventurers set with Johnny Thunder that launched a lifelong fascination with Ancient Egypt. 

Ooh I remember back in 2003 I was checking out a catalogue from a 2000 soccer set and saw some Jungle adventurers sets and King leo’s castle... I was delighted! Of course I asked for those for Christmas, but I guess it was too late to buy 1999 sets :sceptic: That Christmas however, I got my very first harry potter set! Dumbledore’s office :wub: (And the spiderman bridge) I can confidently say those were my favorite Christmas presents ever!

So last week i've decided to jump into this line, because it's absolutely fantastic! First hunting down the Year One sets. Aragog and The Great Hall are a bit harder to find. Also snagged a complete collection of cmf series 1 for $110, which makes me really happy.

I'm curious about your opinion, are you also a bit dissapointed by the Atronomy Tower? Not about the outside and how it looks, but of the interior. Because every Hogwarts build has interesting interiors, like Potions Classroom, Great Hall, Common Rooms, etc. But with the astronomy tower you get another potions classroom. I mean, couldn't they put in something more recognisable like the defense agains the dark arts classroom or a bigger library or something? Im sure we get another one, but with this potions class and slughorn office, i'm just a bit meh. Also the older greenhouse was better then the new one imo. 

21 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

I don’t know the exact difference between the two URLs, but you’re fine.  I certainly wouldn’t cancel your order.  My Privet Drive set from Zavvi US shipped yesterday, and it’s already gone from London to Germany, getting ready to be DHL-ed over to the States, supposedly arriving by Wednesday!!

Okay thank you! That makes me feel a little bit better, I ordered the astronomy tower, now I’m thinking I should go back and order the privet drive set to!! ?

15 minutes ago, ???theriddler??? said:

I'm curious about your opinion, are you also a bit dissapointed by the Atronomy Tower? Not about the outside and how it looks, but of the interior. Because every Hogwarts build has interesting interiors, like Potions Classroom, Great Hall, Common Rooms, etc. But with the astronomy tower you get another potions classroom. I mean, couldn't they put in something more recognisable like the defense agains the dark arts classroom or a bigger library or something? Im sure we get another one, but with this potions class and slughorn office, i'm just a bit meh. Also the older greenhouse was better then the new one imo. 

Welcome to the theme/thread!

We already have a Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, it was in the Clocktower :wink: As for the Hogwarts interiors overall they've never really been that good in the reboot (at least not imo) and have left a lot to be desired so I already fully expected to get a disappointing interior in the AT, which actually didn't turn out to be that bad. 

3 hours ago, klinton said:

Welcome to the Wizarding World. Hope you're enjoying Goblet of Fire, it's my favourite of the books as it has the most mystery plot lines.

Hope the Lego Abraxan horses live up to the book's description.

3 hours ago, sebastian666 said:

DHL Express

4 hours ago, Holden Brickfield said:

I went with DHL Express, and as an update for my order, bought it late last Tuesday, and I think it should be here tomorrow, so not too long for shipping

Well damn, I went with PostNL because I don’t need the sets to come super fast as I’ve got lots of other stuff to build first, but maybe that was a mistake. DHL Express was only like €8 more so perhaps I should’ve gone with that as well...

Just going off the discussion from this page I wanted to say that so far the best interiors we’ve had were the Great Hall obviously, the Prefect’s bathroom, and either the Ravenclaw or Gryffindor dormitory. The potions classrooms, Hospital Wing and RoR have all been pretty lackluster imo with regards to interior decor and detailing. I really want to put Dumbledore’s office in my above top 3 but the stickers and how cramped it is decrease the play value alot imo. Still I appreciate the detail they were trying to put forth in it

Edited by m0repotter

50 minutes ago, (Insert Name Here) said:

Welcome to the Wizarding World. Hope you're enjoying Goblet of Fire, it's my favourite of the books as it has the most mystery plot lines.

Hope the Lego Abraxan horses live up to the book's description.

I'm really enjoying the subplot with Hermione championing her little House Elf liberation effort. Dobby was far and away my favorite character in the films. Winky's freaking adorable too. I'm curious to see how this all wraps up. This is the first book in the series where I feel the film did it absolutely no justice. There was just so much left out, and I've still got most of the book to go.

1 hour ago, ???theriddler??? said:

So last week i've decided to jump into this line, because it's absolutely fantastic! First hunting down the Year One sets. Aragog and The Great Hall are a bit harder to find. Also snagged a complete collection of cmf series 1 for $110, which makes me really happy.

Right?! Aragog's Lair was a bit of a challenge to find. I was ready to just ignore it and then I actually managed to snag it from La Baie, who happened to have an odd assortment of ancient stock of several small impulse sets on offer. The Great Hall I actually stumbled across at a bookstore just last week when I went in to purchase the map. I was fully stunned to see it there, as it's completely sold out absolutely everywhere, even on their own website, hahaha. It was kind of sweet, when I called Lego CS to cancel my back order on the set, the rep who assisted me apologized for the delays and gave me the VIP points I would have earned had I bought the set from them.

Other than that, it's been relatively easy to put together an instant collection, given the circumstances. While it would normally involve a single trip to TRU or the Lego Store, I've managed to piece together most of the line with minimal effort. A local quincaillerie had all but the bus from last year's sets on hand, availabe with curbside pick up. Lego shipped me the Quidditch set and the bus. I actually got an additional Quiditch set through Amazon (free of charge, no less, due to a colossal postal snafu). The Whomping Willow set I got from TRU when it randomly popped back in stock for a few hours. I even got the advent calendar and the 'Build Your Own Adventure' book and set in the same order I placed for the books. I previously had the two FB sets, and most of the CMF series (due largely to my inability to properly 'feel' the packets and a need for all of the FB characters). I am still missing three of the CMF figures and the Bricktober pack. Well, and the train, but I expect that will ship any day now. I'm not too fussed about the D2C Hogwarts. I'm already unsure where all of these HP are going to live. When Lego gets them back in stock, I'll consider it then. :)

New to this but wanted to see people’s opinions on my Hogwarts which is a mixture of 2010 and 2019/20 sets, all that’s missing is whomping willow sets and the new great hall but to be honest there’s nothing in those sets that would add much to this build anyway. Some parts are hidden like the greenhouse which sits at the back and I might have to show you the clock tower separately cause you can’t see it well from this angle, but I really like the way it’s positioned. Hope you like it! IMG_6069.jpg.d6a6235f304a837f4951b9cde80dc4d7.jpg

As promised here’s the clock tower, personally I think it’s positioning adds depth to the build of my castle which I love. Just an idea for anyone else who’s trying to find a way of arranging their castle about! Sorry if photo quality’s a bit poor, the max total size is only 0.04MB for me now for some reason.

IMG_6073 2.jpg

3 hours ago, ???theriddler??? said:

Hello! Definitely prioritise Aragog’s Lair (and the two Fantastic Beasts sets if you want them) as they’ve been retired. I’m already seeing Aragog going for Well above the RRP on eBay.

From then on I’d prioritise the rest of 2018 as they’ll retire soon too. I’d worry about Great Hall the least though - we’ve discussed many times here that it’s the flagship and may last longer than the others.

Definitely not disappointed by Astronomy Tower interior. In fact I think they’ve done a super good job of it. I don’t think it’s fair to compare to the Great Hall hall - as that’s obviously going to have a great interior, it’s precisely what the point of that huge space. A better comparison is the puny little rooms in the tower with the Great Hall - which are all much worse Than the Astronomy Tower rooms. As said before we’ve already had a DADA room - and you say “something more recognisable” but at least in HBP, Theres nothing recognisable about the DADA room or say the Transfiguration classroom in any of the films really. Transfiguration meanwhile needs to go at the top of a tower - reserves for Astronmy here. Library’s a good idea though. But the interiors are really great - I admit we’ve gotten a lot of potions rooms but it’s still a fantastic interior, and there’s not a lot else that’s recognisable like you describe especially in HBP.

2 hours ago, HalfBloodPrince said:

Can anyone say their experience with Zavvi? I wanna know if it is reliable to buy the sets

I have good experience with it from the UK but don’t know about importing. But they are a very good retailer.

2 hours ago, m0repotter said:

Just going off the discussion from this page I wanted to say that so far the best interiors we’ve had were the Great Hall obviously, the Prefect’s bathroom, and either the Ravenclaw or Gryffindor dormitory. The poetry classrooms, Hospital Wing and RoR have all been pretty lackluster imo with regards to interior decor and detailing. I really want to put Dumbledore’s office in my above top 3 but the stickers and how cramped it is decrease the play value alot imo. Still I appreciate the detail they were trying to put forth in it

I definitely wish we got Dumbledore’s office as a set like in the original 2001 wave. Also, poetry classrooms?

1 hour ago, klinton said:

I'm already unsure where all of these HP are going to live.

Relatable 

1 hour ago, jdmbricks said:

New to this but wanted to see people’s opinions on my Hogwarts which is a mixture of 2010 and 2019/20 sets, all that’s missing is whomping willow sets and the new great hall but to be honest there’s nothing in those sets that would add much to this build anyway. Some parts are hidden like the greenhouse which sits at the back and I might have to show you the clock tower separately cause you can’t see it well from this angle, but I really like the way it’s positioned. Hope you like it! IMG_6069.jpg.d6a6235f304a837f4951b9cde80dc4d7.jpg

As promised here’s the clock tower, personally I think it’s positioning adds depth to the build of my castle which I love. Just an idea for anyone else who’s trying to find a way of arranging their castle about! Sorry if photo quality’s a bit poor, the max total size is only 0.04MB for me now for some reason.

IMG_6073 2.jpg

This looks amazing! Honestly way better than I expected, considering the differences in roof colors. I really hope we get a set next year consisting of the towers/bridge that sit around the clock tower in your pic.

3 hours ago, jdmbricks said:

New to this but wanted to see people’s opinions on my Hogwarts which is a mixture of 2010 and 2019/20 sets, all that’s missing is whomping willow sets and the new great hall but to be honest there’s nothing in those sets that would add much to this build anyway. Some parts are hidden like the greenhouse which sits at the back and I might have to show you the clock tower separately cause you can’t see it well from this angle, but I really like the way it’s positioned. Hope you like it!

I love your setup! I’ve always loved the older castle sets because the 2010 Harry Potter wave is what properly got me into LEGO (bolstered by Pirates of the Caribbean the next year)! I’ve also never been too bothered about the interiors in the new castle sets- yes, the bare rooms in the Great Hall were lacking and we’ve gotten way too many potions rooms, but I appreciate the different things they’re cramming in! 

4 hours ago, sammy_zammy said:

I definitely wish we got Dumbledore’s office as a set like in the original 2001 wave. Also, poetry classrooms?

potions* fixed it :roflmao: the ONE time I choose to not proofread my post lol!

Being a bit lazy, hoping someone remembers off the top of their head... What was the general consensus on schools years and legs? Was it 1-2 Short, 3-4 Mid and 5-7 Long? Just trying to figure out if it will be much effort getting them all to the right sizes! :-)

Also, does anyone have any particular educated guesses based on experience how many pieces the D2C might be? I tried working it out, but looking at past sets The Joker Manor is 3.4k pieces and was $400 AUD But the Death Star is $800 AUD (double the price) for 3.6k pieces. The Microscale Hogwarts is I think about the price of what the Diagon Alley will be, and that has 6,000 pieces. Although I assume pretty small pieces. Lol. I'm thinking maybe 4,500 to 5,000, but wondering if anyone more clued on has a better estimate! :-D

Edited by chris6507

52 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

Being a bit lazy, hoping someone remembers off the top of their head... What was the general consensus on schools years and legs? Was it 1-2 Short, 3-4 Mid and 5-7 Long? Just trying to figure out if it will be much effort getting them all to the right sizes! :-)

Also, does anyone have any particular educated guesses based on experience how many pieces the D2C might be? I tried working it out, but looking at past sets The Joker Manor is 3.4k pieces and was $400 AUD But the Death Star is $800 AUD (double the price) for 3.6k pieces. The Microscale Hogwarts is I think about the price of what the Diagon Alley will be, and that has 6,000 pieces. Although I assume pretty small pieces. Lol. I'm thinking maybe 4,500 to 5,000, but wondering if anyone more clued on has a better estimate! :-D

Year 1-2 - short legs

Year 3-4 - mid legs

Year 5-7 - regular legs

Guessing DA's piece count is pointless for now, we don't even know if it's microscale or not.

16 hours ago, RODDY said:

I really loved the carriage, the four minifigs and the new hat hair combo was awesome and the play feature of it turning into tea room and a bed room was really nice. It’s a cool set but kind of unnecessary at the same time.  I honestly would of preferred getting the Merpeople. Is it less creative? Sure but being a big GOF fan, I really want to have all three tasks, that seems more important to me than either the Dumstrang Boat or Beauxbaton’s Carriage that just showed up for a scene of two. It’s not that I don’t like it, it’s prioritizing what sets should of been made first and are key to the film. 

Honestly, I both agree & disagree with this. While it’s early in this revival, I would certainly liked to have the more important stuff first. At the same time, getting something brand new to the line is refreshing & welcomed. 

3 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I love your setup! I’ve always loved the older castle sets because the 2010 Harry Potter wave is what properly got me into LEGO (bolstered by Pirates of the Caribbean the next year)! I’ve also never been too bothered about the interiors in the new castle sets- yes, the bare rooms in the Great Hall were lacking and we’ve gotten way too many potions rooms, but I appreciate the different things they’re cramming in! 

We’ve only gotten the one Potions classroom, in the Willow. If I’m not mistaken, that’s Slughorn’s office in the AT. Or am I misremembering where the hourglass is? 

57 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Guessing DA's piece count is pointless for now, we don't even know if it's microscale or not.

Good point! :-D

13 hours ago, klinton said:

I had the same thing with the  2011 forbidden forest sets when I was really young. Then my sister got the 2010 Hogwarts for Christmas and she wasn't really interested, so I built it an here we are today. My white whales are the 2007 Hogwarts and the portal of Atlantis. Although I did just buy the portal of Atlantis on Gum tree for $70 au.

11 hours ago, ???theriddler??? said:

I personally just converted the new potions classroom to a facade of a library/study area. Didnt even require heavy modding. Just replaced one table with the accessory pack bookshelf and cleared off the other table only leaving a quill and the daily prophecy. Works well enough and you dont end up with duplicate classrooms