Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Because every single Hogwarts set we've gotten so far has used light grey bricks with technic holes in them for the ''Hogwarts attachement'' feature, making them tan in the Astronomy Tower would break consistency (something they didn't pay attention to when it comes to the roof).

That’s a good point. It is a shame that they felt the need to move to the 1x2 bricks with technic holes for the tower itself and ROR because of the placement of the wholes on the west wing building.

im not sure what you’re referring to with the roof, I’m presuming the green cones? Each year has been inconsistent so far (grey cones 2018, no cones 2019, and green now) but it seems green is the most accurate. At the very least the grand staircase tower goes have a green tip and spire to it. And imo it does bring some nice variation in the colour scheme. I’ve ordered another astronomy tower set for modding (and also cause it’s only £75 on Amazon) and I’m definitely going to be replacing the cones on other towers with the green ones

27 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

im not sure what you’re referring to with the roof, I’m presuming the green cones? Each year has been inconsistent so far (grey cones 2018, no cones 2019, and green now) but it seems green is the most accurate. At the very least the grand staircase tower goes have a green tip and spire to it. And imo it does bring some nice variation in the colour scheme. I’ve ordered another astronomy tower set for modding (and also cause it’s only £75 on Amazon) and I’m definitely going to be replacing the cones on other towers with the green ones

So far the roofs on the Hogwarts sets have been fairly consistent: DBG roof, tan wedges and a sand green skipole as the tip. The Astronomy Tower mixes that up by changing the 1x1 cones (which were admittedly absent last year) and cheese-slopes to sandgreen and using sandgreen dishes for the Viaduct Entrance, it doesn't look awfull but it's inconsistent. I haven't yet had the chance to change out the 2 sand green dishes but I have changed the 1x1 cones and cheese-slopes to grey and it looks much better imo, the only pieces of the roof that should be sandgreen are the skipole tips. But I guess that's also just a case of personal preference 

Edited by Guyon2002

46 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

using sandgreen dishes for the Viaduct Entrance, it doesn't look awfull but it's inconsistent.

Maybe it’s just because I only have the Whomping Willow set on hand to look at, and don’t often look at pictures of the other expansions, but I haven’t really minded the sand green elements in the Astronomy Tower; to me it just adds some nice variety, but I can understand why others find it a little jarring :shrug_oh_well:

49 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

So far the roofs on the Hogwarts sets have been fairly consistent: DBG roof, tan wedges and a sand green skipole as the tip. The Astronomy Tower mixes that up by changing the 1x1 cones (which were admittedly absent last year) and cheese-slopes to sandgreen and using sandgreen dishes for the Viaduct Entrance, it doesn't look awfull but it's inconsistent. I haven't yet had the chance to change out the 2 sand green dishes but I have changed the 1x1 cones and cheese-slopes to grey and it looks much better imo, the only pieces of the roof that should be sandgreen are the skipole tips. But I guess that's also just a case of personal preference 

I don’t mind the cones or the cheese slopes but to me what looks really weird are the dishes on the Viaduct Entrance. I get what they were going for but it just doesn’t look quite right and makes it too inconsistent with the other Hogwarts sets

2 hours ago, RogueTwo said:

Does anyone else have the feeling that, when this set is revealed, it will completely blow them away and be their favorite set of all time?  Or is that just me?

I mean anything is possible, if it blows me away then great if it doesn’t then it’s money saved. It’s very expensive so I won’t get mad for not spending $400 lmao. If the minifigures are disappointing then the builds would have to reeally make up for it.

3 hours ago, RogueTwo said:

Does anyone else have the feeling that, when this set is revealed, it will completely blow them away and be their favorite set of all time?  Or is that just me?

Same. Every time I close my eyes and try to imagine it, I get that same feeling I do on all my Halloween visits to Universal Studios’ Diagon Alley. 

I hear the Weasley Wizard Wheezes’ music playing, I smell the Leaky Cauldron’s fish n chips frying, I see the Ukrainian Ironbelly atop Gringott’s breathing fire - I can even taste the butter beer! I truly believe that the D2C Diagon Alley has the potential to be one of the greatest LEGO sets of all time.

There are so many fun magic elements that the designers can incorporate...  From the moving brick wall, to the WWW’s mascot with his moving arm and top hat and bunny, to the wand boxes flying off Ollivander’s shelves, to the Gringott’s vault cart, to the dragon and the flying owls and the random witches and wizards (like Doris Crockford, Daedalus Diggle) hustling and bustling through the alley. 

I’m probably setting myself up for disappointment, but at this point I really don’t care. Even if it doesn’t include every single little detail and check everyone’s individual wishlist boxes, a $400 LEGO Diagon Alley set is going to be absolutely amazing. 

1 hour ago, sebastian666 said:

I hear the Weasley Wizard Wheezes’ music playing, I smell the Leaky Cauldron’s fish n chips frying, I see the Ukrainian Ironbelly atop Gringott’s breathing fire - I can even taste the butter beer!

Sounds like you’ve gone a little bit insane

16 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

Sounds like you’ve gone a little bit insane

Haha I’m going insane waiting for this set to be revealed!

8 hours ago, Holden Brickfield said:

Maybe it’s just because I only have the Whomping Willow set on hand to look at, and don’t often look at pictures of the other expansions, but I haven’t really minded the sand green elements in the Astronomy Tower; to me it just adds some nice variety, but I can understand why others find it a little jarring :shrug_oh_well:

Same. I have all of the first revival sets, so this might just be 2010 nostalgia. I really like the sand green additions and the sand green dish is fine for me. 

39 minutes ago, Tommy269 said:

Same. I have all of the first revival sets, so this might just be 2010 nostalgia. I really like the sand green additions and the sand green dish is fine for me. 

Oh yeah, probably nostalgia too, forgot to mention that :roflmao:

On 6/12/2020 at 9:11 PM, RogueTwo said:

Assuming that DA is minifigure scale, I would suggest that you skip the UCS Hogwarts and just get all the minifigure-scale sets.  I say this as someone who bought and loves the UCS Hogwarts, but overall regrets having made that purchase. 

Others may feel differently, of course.  

I don't know if I'm going to display D2C Hogwarts as it is or use it for my MOC i'm planing to do as a minifig scale.

I've only collect HP for 8 month and from 2018 and forward i'm only missing one brickheadz set from the retired sets. But I'ts hard to decide if it's worth to collect all of the HP set.. I don't collect other lego themes, but planing to get Tree house because I like nature themes (and HP have some of it to).

On 6/12/2020 at 9:19 PM, YetiZombie said:

I made the decision at the beginning of quarantine to go for the minifigure scale sets after watching a bunch of reviews of the microscale castle and I have no regrets. The exterior of the big castle is obviously more impressive and detailed, but all of the minifigures and different rooms that come with the playsets are really nice to have and look at. There are countless references and Easter eggs that are really awesome to discover as a lifelong HP fan. Also, it's nice to have something to look forward to adding to over the next couple years (the castle extensions) vs a set that you build and display once and probably don't touch for several years.

I love to build as it should and then modified/moc to something I think look better. I want to build a Hogwarts in minifig scale as same style like Hogwarts D2C and using my existing castle section for it.

Even if I don't get the Hogwarts D2C I still want to rebuild and MOC the castle section and I still need to order parts and it's not impossible to find Hogwarts under 400$ here if I waiting for a sale.

My goal was to collect all HP set from 2018 and forward but if HP keep going like SW then I don't know if it's worth it.. I want that HP continue at least 1-2 year but all the expensive set is a bit annoying :sadnew:

2 hours ago, Modal said:

Has anyone ever considered building a Hogwarts MOC like this? Honestly this appeals to me more than the official Hogwarts Micro set, as it captures the entire castle. Wish Lego would do something official like this.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-25280/MOMAtteo79/hօgwarts-castle-architecture/?inventory=1#comments

I personally haven't as I'm not a fan of microscale or nanoscale, I like looking at them but it's not something I'd want to have in my collection.

24 minutes ago, Crookshanks said:

My goal was to collect all HP set from 2018 and forward but if HP keep going like SW then I don't know if it's worth it.. I want that HP continue at least 1-2 year but all the expensive set is a bit annoying :sadnew:

You should be happy HP hasn't adopted the ''Star Wars flow''. Star Wars has 3-4 waves a year, most with a fairly large amount of sets while Harry Potter has 1 medium wave and really small wave. Unless your pockets are as deep as the caves of Gringotts you won't be able to get everything Star Wars releases in a year, HP on the other hand is a lot easier to manage.

Edited by Guyon2002

30 minutes ago, Crookshanks said:

Accidentally deleted your quote so about what you said about collecting all the 2018 stuff

The only 2018 one I’ve got left is still Whomping Willow. I remember you were struggling to get the Great Hall - have you managed to get that yet? It’s coming in stock soon on several Amazons. I built it the other day and it’s a beautiful set.

So I recommend at least prioritising the ones you feel are important for your display And you like the most. That way if you can’t afford them all and miss out on one or two you won’t be so disappointed. But also if you want to get all of them then definitely get all of them - if one day you think you would regret not getting a set then it’s worth getting them all, as although it may result in an expensive year, you’ll then have a cheaper year when this theme retires/repeats. Also you’ve got plenty of time for the 2020 sets, so there’s really no rush to get everything - it probably feels overwhelming like it does for me, catching up on so many sets at once. And then you’ll have all the 2018/19 ones and realise there’s not that many left and you have loads of time to spread out the purchases :)

11 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

You should be happy HP hasn't adopted the ''Star Wars flow''. Star Wars has 3-4 waves a year, most with a fairly large amount of sets while Harry Potter has 1 medium wave and really small wave. Unless your pockets are as deep as the caves of Gringotts you won't be able to get everything Star Wars releases in a year, HP on the other hand is a lot easier to manage.

Lol every time I think to myself “collecting all this Harry Potter stuff is expensive” I then look at the Star Wars theme and realise how they have three times the number of $100 sets a year and three times the overall cost per year and feel glad i didn’t start collecting Star Wars!

13 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

[...]HP on the other hand is a lot easier to manage.

So far...  :wink:

I'm delaying gratification on most of this wave so that I can try to get Diagon Alley on day one (unless it's bad, of course).  That will give me time to pick up the other sets on discount, and feel for the Collectible Minifigures, between now and next summer.  Also, I've come to accept that the builds are more important to me than the minifigures.  I like sets to be minifigure-scale, and I like having a number minifigures to populate them, but I realize now that I can no longer afford to buy a set just for the minifigures, or to Bricklink 8 different variants of Harry, each wearing a different cardigan.

3 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

Lol every time I think to myself “collecting all this Harry Potter stuff is expensive” I then look at the Star Wars theme and realise how they have three times the number of $100 sets a year and three times the overall cost per year and feel glad i didn’t start collecting Star Wars!

I wasted way too much money on Star Wars before giving up.  And I wasn't even attempting to collect every set, just the Rebel Alliance starfighters that I liked!  The difference between these two themes is not just cost, however.  Star Wars sets have (IMO) decreased in quality, repeated themselves, and generally cheaped out, possibly in an attempt to recoup on the Disney license.  With Potter, everything thus far has been top-notch (not counting a few reused head pieces and plain dress pieces, but at the end of the day, if that's the worst part of a set, it's probably a good theme).

10 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

So far...  :wink:

I'm delaying gratification on most of this wave so that I can try to get Diagon Alley on day one (unless it's bad, of course).  That will give me time to pick up the other sets on discount, and feel for the Collectible Minifigures, between now and next summer.  Also, I've come to accept that the builds are more important to me than the minifigures.  I like sets to be minifigure-scale, and I like having a number minifigures to populate them, but I realize now that I can no longer afford to buy a set just for the minifigures, or to Bricklink 8 different variants of Harry, each wearing a different cardigan.

I wasted way too much money on Star Wars before giving up.  And I wasn't even attempting to collect every set, just the Rebel Alliance starfighters that I liked!  The difference between these two themes is not just cost, however.  Star Wars sets have (IMO) decreased in quality, repeated themselves, and generally cheaped out, possibly in an attempt to recoup on the Disney license.  With Potter, everything thus far has been top-notch (not counting a few reused head pieces and plain dress pieces, but at the end of the day, if that's the worst part of a set, it's probably a good theme).

I haven’t bought any of this year’s HP either, more to catch up on 2018/19 stuff first while I wait for 2020 stuff to be more heavily discounted (although it’s already getting some good 10-15% sales), but also so I can maybe save up for Diagon Alley. I feel I can justify it if I save it up doing some extra stuff online (paid surveys, etc). I’ll see how it goes, I may end up waiting for it to go on offer at other retailers like Hogwarts sometimes does, but then again that doesn’t happen for a long while and is always a wild goose chase.

I’ve never really followed Star Wars sets. As a non-Star Wars mega fan, to me they’re mostly just... spaceships (and other vehicles). I know that’s absolutely not the case, and there’s a lot of other models and locations, and even the spaceships all look very different, but a significant Number Of the sets are still spaceships which I feel doesn’t provide so much variety. I’ll prepare to be torn to shreds by saying that lol, I know there’s many opposing arguments but they are still ships. Meanwhile Harry Potter has a huge range of stuff but a smaller number of sets. It kinda shows that less is more, sometimes.

Edited by sammy_zammy

9 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

The difference between these two themes is not just cost, however.  Star Wars sets have (IMO) decreased in quality, repeated themselves, and generally cheaped out, possibly in an attempt to recoup on the Disney license.  With Potter, everything thus far has been top-notch (not counting a few reused head pieces and plain dress pieces, but at the end of the day, if that's the worst part of a set, it's probably a good theme).

I couldn't agree more with this. I recently came out of my dark ages (after a decade) and just found myself way more drawn to the new HP sets instead of the SW ones. And this is coming from someone who grew up with mostly SW sets and only 1 HP set over the years (2010 Hagrid's Hut).

4 hours ago, Modal said:

Has anyone ever considered building a Hogwarts MOC like this? Honestly this appeals to me more than the official Hogwarts Micro set, as it captures the entire castle. Wish Lego would do something official like this.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-25280/MOMAtteo79/hօgwarts-castle-architecture/?inventory=1#comments

Honestly, I'm trying to convince myself to do the big one:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-30884/Playwell Bricks/hogwarts-castle-71043-epic-extension/?inventory=1#comments

I even bought a second Hogwarts UCS to hopefully help make it happen. 

1 hour ago, teos said:

Honestly, I'm trying to convince myself to do the big one:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-30884/Playwell Bricks/hogwarts-castle-71043-epic-extension/?inventory=1#comments

I even bought a second Hogwarts UCS to hopefully help make it happen. 

I desperately want to do that too, but I’m just not willing to sink so much money into that and I wouldn’t even have room to display it right now. Hopefully in the future I’ll make it happen! 

Because I'm in the US and have no idea when I'm getting these new sets haha, I just snagged a sealed Beauxbatons Carriage for $30 from Mercari (after using a $5 coupon). I was a bit hesitant about getting it (mainly just wanted the figs) but for $30 I couldn't say no!

1 hour ago, YetiZombie said:

Because I'm in the US and have no idea when I'm getting these new sets haha, I just snagged a sealed Beauxbatons Carriage for $30 from Mercari (after using a $5 coupon). I was a bit hesitant about getting it (mainly just wanted the figs) but for $30 I couldn't say no!

You shouldn’t have been hesitant, that’s an amazing price. The set is really solid. It’s a great build & feels very substantial. While it was a bit overpriced, it feels like the price is alright. 

On 6/12/2020 at 7:42 PM, Bugbot20082 said:

Apologies for bringing up an old question but I never got round to answering this one and I wanted to as it is a good question :)

For small (CMF compatible) creatures I would ideally like new moulds for:

Fang, Padfoot, a Ferret, Pixies, a Pygmy Puff and the return of the goat as a patronus. A new ‘fluffy/fat’ cat mould which could be shared between Mrs Norris and Crookshanks would also be welcome. Also I hope to see the new flying owl in more colours/printing varieties such as Errol (grey owl).

Another great new animal we could get through Harry Potter and then have used elsewhere such as pet shops and jungle themes is a Hornbill Parrot (it would come with a Professor Mcgonagall, as it appears in her lesson in CS).

Missing accessories needing new moulds: short wizard pointy hat (worn by Flitwick and Arthur Weasley in the early movies), Decoy Detonator, Ravenclaw Diadem

I’m quite happy with the remaining horcruxes using existing moulds, for example a gold cup with a ‘H’ print and the ring could be the same as the green lantern rings with a 1x1 black pyramid instead of the round tile. The Locket can use the existing medal mould especially if they can get a ‘S’ print on the front.

Certainly Mrs Norris!

7 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I desperately want to do that too, but I’m just not willing to sink so much money into that and I wouldn’t even have room to display it right now. Hopefully in the future I’ll make it happen! 

Lack of space has been a great cost saving measure for me lol. I barely have space for minifig scale Hogwarts sets let alone the micro one!

3 hours ago, Vindicare said:

You shouldn’t have been hesitant, that’s an amazing price. The set is really solid. It’s a great build & feels very substantial. While it was a bit overpriced, it feels like the price is alright. 

It’s been £30 a couple of times here and I’ve been tempted but haven’t gone for it as wanted to wait to build my others.

I feel the 2019 wave in general was a bit overpriced, even if it was cheaper in total than 2018/20 due to fewer large sets (especially as this wave has two £90 ones). £50 for Hagrid’s Hut, £45 for Beauxbatons Carriage, £30 for Hungarian Horntail... Clock Tower was reasonable and Rise of Voldemort was great price though.

5 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

Lack of space has been a great cost saving measure for me lol. I barely have space for minifig scale Hogwarts sets let alone the micro one!

It’s been £30 a couple of times here and I’ve been tempted but haven’t gone for it as wanted to wait to build my others.

I feel the 2019 wave in general was a bit overpriced, even if it was cheaper in total than 2018/20 due to fewer large sets (especially as this wave has two £90 ones). £50 for Hagrid’s Hut, £45 for Beauxbatons Carriage, £30 for Hungarian Horntail... Clock Tower was reasonable and Rise of Voldemort was great price though.

I feel like people are a bit harsh on the beauxbatons carriage. I got the set over the Christmas break and I loved it. All four figs are exclusive and great, the carriage looks great and is really fun to play with. It opens up really nicely and the interior is simplistic, but complete and has lots of play room. I wasn’t on the forum  last year, but I like it when Lego does sets that didn’t appear in the original waves of sets so I thought it was creative not just to go back to the Ship or merpeople. Apart from it being $10 to expensive and coming after a carriage the year before, I was wondering why so many people seem to dislike it so much.