Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

I was always expecting a September general release and mid-August VIP release, but of course I’ll be a lot happier if it’s an August general and mid-July VIP. I can’t wait to see it!

I’m still scratching my head over what Günther could mean if it’s not a red herring. I don’t think it could be referring to QQS because if he wanted to refer to that location while all the other names are characters then why wouldn’t he use Gwenog instead and have a clue more people would recognize?

Hi everyone I got something for you. 
So now that we have the building known as the viaduct entrance i wanted to see how the rest of the long gallery and the courtyard might turn out using it as the basis for scale etc. 
So after creating the base plates from the new astronomy tower set I have made this:

Lego Hogwarts Courtyard Floor-plan Concept

The red sections are parts of the castle we do not have yet, and hopefully should be very close to future sets. I have proposed locations for connection pins between some of the modules (Grey and black bricks). 
Regular red is the baseplate of the each section, and dark red sections indicate the footprint of an upper level such as a tower.

The pink strips could be grass plates. I have also shown how the ‘greenhouse’ we have could be part of the courtyard profile.

What do you guys think?

What rooms would you put in the remaining structures?

Do you think lego has a plan like this?

Edited by Bugbot20082

1 hour ago, Bugbot20082 said:

What do you guys think?

I don't think a full courtyard for that part of the castle is on the cards as it would mean it's totally enclosed for play. Perhaps two or three sides of a courtyard could work surrounding the Long Gallery and Bell Towers, the other side of that courtyard is far less visually interesting. 

An Entrance (Viaduct) Courtyard would be more likely in my opinion. 

9 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

These illustrations are definitely not an indication of what’s to come. The book cover is from the first iteration of the theme (2001) and they’re using Sprout’s old minifig from 2011 :wink:

I find amusing that they wont acknowledge we already saw the new professor Sprout figure

Stop playing dumb TLG :laugh:

3 hours ago, Seaber said:

I don't think a full courtyard for that part of the castle is on the cards as it would mean it's totally enclosed for play. Perhaps two or three sides of a courtyard could work surrounding the Long Gallery and Bell Towers, the other side of that courtyard is far less visually interesting. 

Another problem with the closed in plan would be that no matter how you looked at the whole castle, half of it is being viewed from the outside, and half of it will be an open backed view showing the interior.  That is not going to look so good IMHO. As I get more parts of the castle, I will probably just connect it in linear fashion in the best way possible and place it on a long shelf.  

6 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I find amusing that they wont acknowledge we already saw the new professor Sprout figure

"we" in this case is a pretty small number of their followers.

9 hours ago, Seaber said:

The remaining sections would not all be one set, so each separate module would us still follow the ‘open-back’ design for playability. My proposition would be one possible build configuration for the complete collection. Notice I put a few extra pin locations where they are not used; multiple configurations could be possible. 
We have the viaduct entrance now in the Astronomy Tower set, that’s the coloured baseplate at the top left of the image. 

1 hour ago, Bugbot20082 said:

We have the viaduct entrance now in the Astronomy Tower set, that’s the coloured baseplate at the top left of the image. 

When I said Entrance (Viaduct), I was talking about the courtyard in front of the Great Hall, it's name was changed in the final film. I think that's what your comment was referring to :) 

3 minutes ago, Seaber said:

When I said Entrance (Viaduct), I was talking about the courtyard in front of the Great Hall, it's name was changed in the final film. I think that's what your comment was referring to :) 

where does it say it was changed in the last film?

10 minutes ago, deskp said:

where does it say it was changed in the last film?

I believe either in the DHII video game or the official set plans. 

So I got an email this morning from Lego announcing sets that are retiring soon. What I found interesting is that the Whomping Willow set is not on the list, so it seems Lego are not planning on retiring the set just yet and might have two sets with two different versions of the Ford Anglia at the same time. I can only think that it is a testament to the theme's popularity and sales that they would do this. :)

19 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

So I got an email this morning from Lego announcing sets that are retiring soon. What I found interesting is that the Whomping Willow set is not on the list, so it seems Lego are not planning on retiring the set just yet and might have two sets with two different versions of the Ford Anglia at the same time. I can only think that it is a testament to the theme's popularity and sales that they would do this. :)

None of the HP sets are on the list but they'll most likely still retire at the end of the year as predicted

16 hours ago, Bugbot20082 said:

So now that we have the building known as the viaduct entrance i wanted to see how the rest of the long gallery and the courtyard might turn out using it as the basis for scale etc. 
So after creating the base plates from the new astronomy tower set I have made this:

The red sections are parts of the castle we do not have yet, and hopefully should be very close to future sets. I have proposed locations for connection pins between some of the modules (Grey and black bricks). 
Regular red is the baseplate of the each section, and dark red sections indicate the footprint of an upper level such as a tower.

The pink strips could be grass plates. I have also shown how the ‘greenhouse’ we have could be part of the courtyard profile.

What do you guys think?

You don't know how much I needed this! Great display and I am definitely taking this as a reference for my Hogwarts mining-scale-set based Hogwarts display :)

5 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

None of the HP sets are on the list but they'll most likely still retire at the end of the year as predicted

That's still a decent overlap though with both sets on the shelf for maybe up to 6 months. Whereas Anakin's Starfighter is on the retiring soon list obviously to avoid a crossover with the new Anakin's Starfighter set coming out in August.

22 hours ago, Bugbot20082 said:

What do you guys think?

im not sure if this is legos exact plan, but they 100% have a layout in mind like they did with the older harry potter sets i would love to see a full hogwarts castle from all the sets joined up

The Great Hall is out of stock on Lego in the UK and I read that it has disappeared from the French version of the website. When is this set expected to retire? 

Just now, BrickBuilderX said:

The Great Hall is out of stock on Lego in the UK and I read that it has disappeared from the French version of the website. When is this set expected to retire? 

We haven't heard anything about it retiring and it's not on the list lego published today. We talked about it a few weeks ago though and it'll probably stick around for a while as it's pretty much the flagship set of this theme

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

We haven't heard anything about it retiring and it's not on the list lego published today. We talked about it a few weeks ago though and it'll probably stick around for a while as it's pretty much the flagship set of this theme

That's good to know, Thanks

Does anyone have a guess on when the microscale Hogwarts will retire?

17 hours ago, AdriWho said:

You don't know how much I needed this! Great display and I am definitely taking this as a reference for my Hogwarts mining-scale-set based Hogwarts display :)

Thanks! I’m so happy to hear you will find this useful!

Edited by Bugbot20082

Just now, Gnukan said:

Does anyone have a guess on when the microscale Hogwarts will retire?

Hard to guess, it seems to be a good seller so it might have a shelflife of 4 years like the Slave I (which would mean around mid to late 2022) but it could also be 2, 3 or even 5 years. There's not really a pattern when it comes to D2C's

the d2c Hogwarts has 36 uniquely printed pieces.          if the Diagon alley has the same thats  (36 divided by 3. Head torso legs.)        12 brand new Minifigures.

Lego isn't perfect math by any means but something to think about.

some reused figures. some figures without printed legs.  maybe some printed store pieces (signs, big wealsey face) still ends up with the possibility of a load of new ones.

Cloud city had 20 minifigures total (including r2d2 and that bounty droid)    7? that were new prints?

Edited by deskp

1 hour ago, deskp said:

[...] some reused figures. some figures without printed legs.  maybe some printed store pieces (signs, big wealsey face) still ends up with the possibility of a load of new ones. [...]

New prints are bound to happen, but don’t forget new moulds and recoloured parts, which also eat away at the set’s budget :wink: